"Hardboot/Carve"

Off Topic Subjects
Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:06 pm

Sorry for the off-topic post.

I am an old hardbooter, back in the early ninetys, I had the Burton PJ-7 / Megaflex set up blah blah blah...

No longer, but wish to return.

I have strayed too far with my swallowtails and powder aspirations and wish for a little courderoy turn machine.

I know there are some of you here that hardboot, Vlad, Shaggy, JG???

Can anyone give me suggestions on equipment?

I am not fast, but definately dragging my cheek on the snow, I understand but am lost to the new board/plate/boot.

Any thoughts on new/last year models, good used and or cheaper gear is greatly appreciated. Too many disciplines, too little money.

Thanks again and sorry for the off topic post.

adam trahan

p.s. here is another web site that I am involved with http://www.swallowtails.org

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:52 pm

Adam,
This is just a “good deal” advice, not about the-latest-&-the-greatest must-haves.

Bomberonline.com (BoL) is currently having a HUGE “October Sale”, some old-model brand new hard boots can be had for as little as $75. I just got 2 pairs. Raichle 224 &324 are freecarve softer-shell models, while Raichle 225, 325 and 413 are stiffer-shell models for speed-carving, racing. JG carves in high-tech ski boots. Shaggy and UR13 had Heads last year. CMC, (PSR?) & I and what seems like 90 % of modern carvers in US are Raichle riders, only a few are still Burton-loyal.

For inexpensive boards and bindings check BoL classifieds. I know some people are getting rid of their old Catek bindings to get a new 2003 step-in model. Shaggy had a pair for sale recently. Old pair of Bomber bindings is as good, if not better. But hard to come by.

The best source I have found online for some impressive end-of-season deals is http://www.blue-tomato.at/
Even with shipping charges, almost no one can complete with them in US. You can ask them about the packages you liked and they give you a pretty elaborate description. You can make offers, ask for free shipping and such. But this is a good end-of-season source (as in March&April) , with no good pre-season deals. I wish I had started there.

You can also ask the BoL crowd. I bet you’ll get a lot of “get a new $550 Donek” advice. :smile: But if you ask about a particular model before you buy, sometimes you get useful info.

And, Adam... Are you “Sorry for the off-topic post” on your site? How cute!

Vlad.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:10 pm

Cool, this is what I need, "good deal" advice...

My buddy Nils is the http://www.extremecarving.com guy and I help him with http://www.swallowtails.org I like a global approach, community, COMMUNITY online is global, not simply a region of a country. So I seek out those who seek out the same, Nils approached me about swallowtails.org and here I am...

JG gave me advice AFTER I got my Burton stuff back then. I get tid bits here and there, but I think seeing this in writing and being able to refer to this advice here will help when trying to gather my "kit" and I thank you Vlad.

I lost Shaggy's e-mail or he changed it. He shined up a set of small pivot fulls for me and sent a vid of himself just railing turns all laid about. Whoa, Shaggy can really do it well...

If you are in contact with him, will you tell him about http://www.slalomskateboarder.com ?
On 2002-10-25 15:52, Vlad Popov wrote:
Adam,
This is just a “good deal” advice, not about the-latest-&-the-greatest must-haves.

Bomberonline.com (BoL) is currently having a HUGE “October Sale”, some old-model brand new hard boots can be had for as little as $75. I just got 2 pairs. Raichle 224 &324 are freecarve softer-shell models, while Raichle 225, 325 and 413 are stiffer-shell models for speed-carving, racing. JG carves in high-tech ski boots. Shaggy and UR13 had Heads last year. CMC, (PSR?) & I and what seems like 90 % of modern carvers in US are Raichle riders, only a few are still Burton-loyal.

For inexpensive boards and bindings check BoL classifieds. I know some people are getting rid of their old Catek bindings to get a new 2003 step-in model. Shaggy had a pair for sale recently. Old pair of Bomber bindings is as good, if not better. But hard to come by.

The best source I have found online for some impressive end-of-season deals is http://www.blue-tomato.at/
Even with shipping charges, almost no one can complete with them in US. You can ask them about the packages you liked and they give you a pretty elaborate description. You can make offers, ask for free shipping and such. But this is a good end-of-season source (as in March&April) , with no good pre-season deals. I wish I had started there.

You can also ask the BoL crowd. I bet you’ll get a lot of “get a new $550 Donek” advice. :smile: But if you ask about a particular model before you buy, sometimes you get useful info.

And, Adam... Are you “Sorry for the off-topic post” on your site? How cute!

Vlad.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:26 am

I use a rather soft hardboot called a Nordica tr-9 which is a few durometer points stiffer than the old Nordica SBH hardboots. They allow for a lot of forward ankle flex- but ride awful if you aren't in a fully hunkered down compressed committed style.

They are light weight ...comparably....and warm if you heat hem up before you go on the cars heat vents.

I would suggest using a user friendly Donek at first as the board will not be so lively as to ride away from you and it wil absorb much of hte terrain imperfections with its considerable vibration absorbng power.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:58 am

One might think slalom practice would do so much for the leg muscles that getting back on a carving board for the first time in the season will be a breeze. Not the case.
During the last 4 weeks or so I spent about an average of one-hour a day skating hills on a longboard, walking back the hill, getting my legs to the point of energy shutdown. Sit-ups with weights in addition to that, and nothing helped!
Two hours of carving (in crude snow) was enough to drain the energy. It felt really uncomfortable being strapped to the board in a weird stance that I couldn’t change right away.
I guess alpine riding would be a good exercise for slalom. And not vice versa. Even though longboard slalom helped keep last year’s snowboard skills.
Anyone else crosstrains? Do tell what you think.
Ridoli?
Gilmour?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:15 am

Skateboard Slalom helps with the quickness you don't really get to train for in Alpine carving.

Alpine snowboarding really helps with developing power and endurance for skateboard slalom.

I read somewhere that there were several aspects to athletic prowess. I think they were

Speed (repetitive motion)
Agility
Quickness (deftness)
Coordination
Balance
Power
Endurance

The first 5 are served by slalom skateboarding and the last 4 are served by slalom snowboarding- of course they both share coordination and balance.

Somethings you can work on. For instance people are not born with great balance. It is a learned trait...or we would walk right out of the womb.

The first 3 are probably the hardest to improve upon because if you rush to improve them too quickly ...your accuracy goes way down- much in the way Med Students handwriting goes down the tubes when they are rushed to take so many notes....by the time they are doctors----who can read those perscriptions? Yet patient people can improve their speed as you'll see many martial artists improve their speed agility and quickness. Race car drivers do the same by carefully tracking their lap times and quitting for the day as soon as they start to increase.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:07 am

I sure do, but I do not consider it "training", I just ride, but I think the best way to ride a snowboard being helpful to tight skateboard slalom practice is riding moguls with a soft freestyle board.

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:39 pm

Over on BOL you'll get everybody and their dog advising you to get Bomber or Catek bindings. They're very nice, but also expensive and stiff. I'm quite happy with my Proflex step-ins. You can get them at Blue-Tomato under either the Proflex or F2 brands. I second the recommendation on the closeout Raichles at BOL, I have a pair of 224s that I'm very happy with.

Most of the guys at BOL are east coast Ice carvers, so bear that in mind when they recommend skinny stiff boards. I recommend more the free-carve stuff like the Donek Axis, Prior 4wd or Coiler AMF. I think both Prior and Coiler have used/demo boards for sale on their sites for reasonable money. My own board is a Prior 4WD.

Neil

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:47 pm

Gilmour, you’re right. I don’t just read your ideas, I can actually appreciate them.

Second day on snow – and it was already different. Transitions are easier, jumps and landings on the edge are a breeze, never a problem with an edge hold, it felt really good. Another little breakthrough on snow.

I have never seen a person learn to snowboard in one day. Until I saw Brian Parsons take lessons yesterday at Whitetail ski resort in Pennsylvania. Slappy Maxwell was doing great for his first time as well, and if Parsons weren’t there, I’d be praising Slappy the Maxwell instead. However, Parson’s skills just overshadowed everyone else’s on the beginner’s hill. It must have been his surfing AND slaloming experience that gave him a head start on a snowboard. Brian was linking turns and caving arks by mid-day! By the end of the day he was questioning the idea of changing binding angles to make them more “carver friendly” and using soft ski boots on a wide carving board in a near future. A hardbooter is being born! I have a feeling Mr. Maxwell is taking the same road.
Fantastic!

Neil, please don’t take anything personally, but I’m going to question your info:

Expensive?
Used Bombers are $100-$150, and they last forever (overestimation, as no one has gone there yet). Cateks - $189 new. No secrets: right timing and attending East Coast Expression Session second week of January where one can also win Turner and Bozi completes, custom snowboards (up to $850 value), alpine bindings (Bomber and Cateks) and even a Maine sailing cruise (over $1000 value?).

Stiff? That is only to fit the affordances of the common East coast snow conditions. I am yet to see a really good East coast rider use a spongy interface and a poopy pair of boots such as SB 224. I have a pair of 224s for soft snow and bumps, but the boots are just too damn soft for aggressive riding on hard pack.

http://www.Bomberonline.com is a commercial site that also promotes(!) the binding of its only US competitor Catek http://www.catek.com. It would be weird if Fin Doyle, the owner of the site, began to push F2 and Burton bindings along the Bomber Trench Digger line. Most of the Bomber crowd understands that, and tries to support the owner of the biggest alpine site in the world by advertising and using Bombers. I myself prefer Cateks for their versatile adjustability, but use Bombers as front bindings just because I like Fin and abuse his site often.

Unfortunately, Bomber is full of ”tools” that recommend boards they never ridden and shit on easy-to-break bindings they never broke. Every other “tool” is pushing his favorite board that makes him happy. How do we know if he can even ride? All we can tell that he can type some hype and he’s psyched with one particular brand for whatever reason.
That’s not to tell you off, Neil, but please... Jack Michaud, the author of 90% Bomberonline articles, and myself from the Iciest of Coast RECOMMEND 19.5-cm-waist boards that allow the use of more, shell I say?, “universal” binding angles. Most boards CMC rides have 18 cm waist, but (!) he downsizes his boots to size 25. So, almost no one who can ride rides extreme angles on the East coast.

All of the best VT guys tried Priors a couple of years ago. All of them had problems with nose chatter, and all of them had broken their boards in a year. It wasn’t just one particular year’s model that had delam problem. No one (besides Canadians maybe) has trust in that company. That is why more people ride Doneks. These boards symbolize outstanding quality and provide super plush rides. I wouldn’t have 3 of them in different sizes and flex patterns.

To each his own.

Vlad.

Note to Moderator: I hope you don’t mind us discussing winter slalom topics here. If needed, I can use my favorite statistical tools to prove correlation between the two disciplines. Actually, I correct anyone who calls it correlation. In my opinion, it underestimates the connection between the two sports. The correct term would be direct relationship. It can’t be proven with numbers, but for people involved in both disciplines it should be obvious.

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:43 pm

Used Bombers are $100-$150, and they last forever (overestimation, as no one has gone there yet). Cateks - $189 new.
Used prices are fine but for fairness let's compare new. For step-ins, Cateks and Bombers are both $269 new (not 189). The F2 titanium are $150 new, if you want to go cheaper Blue Tomato has some of last years' Intec challenge for $80. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the Titaniums, and they're plenty stiff (so I'm told, I have the older Proflex RS, and it's been trouble-free). I'm a 200 lb rider who takes my hard boots through tough bump runs and my Proflex bindings haven't let me down. Bombers and Cateks are beautiful and tough but they aren't the only thing that will work for people.
Stiff? That is only to fit the affordances of the common East coast snow conditions.
Yes, which is why I stated that those on BOL recommending equipment are all east coasters. For anyone reading this thread who has access to softer conditions, a 19 cm board and race boots may not be the best choice.
http://www.Bomberonline.com is a commercial site that also promotes(!) the binding of its only US competitor Catek snip

Understood, and all props to Fin for his support of the community and his gracious support of his competitor. However we're not on BOL and therefore I feel its valid to point out some alternatives.
Unfortunately, Bomber is full of ”tools” that recommend boards they never ridden and shit on easy-to-break bindings they never broke. snipThat’s not to tell you off, Neil, but please...
Well, saying "I don't mean to piss you off with this" isn't a valid way of taking the sting out of something that's going to piss someone off. I ride and recommend the Prior 4WD. I also recommended similar boards manufactured by Donek and Coiler. Even though I haven't ridden those particular boards, the design parameters are very close to the 4WD and lots of people have given their direct recommendation. FWIW I've been riding since 1986 and on hardboots since 1990. How long have you been riding, Vlad?
All of the best VT guys tried Priors a couple of years ago.snip
Bully for them. I can only give my recommendation based on what I've ridden, and I'm happy. I know there's a lot of anti-Prior sentiment at BOL, but by the same token there's also a lot of happy Prior riders. You'll note I also suggested Donek and Coiler.

Neil

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:11 pm

Neil,
New Cateks were sold at $189 at the last year’s Expression Session.
I care about slalomers who might soon face a choice of what board to buy and ride.
Alan Schroeder is the fist person on this site one should contact via private e-mail (on this site) about Prior 4WD model if he’s to consider buying it.
I’ve been riding since Saturday. It’s not how long one has been riding. It is how good one rides that counts. Do takethis personally.
19.5 cm (don’t forget .5 cm second time around, Ok?) board is NOT a skinny alpine board. Fitted with Catek Olympic step-ins it would allow one with an average size 9 US feet to get into 40s angles with no boot overhang.
Blue Tomato and White Orange sites were already recommended earlier.
Vlad.

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:22 pm

New Cateks were sold at $189 at the last year’s Expression Session.
Hardly fair to compare a discounted price only available to the few who can make a special event. And I might note that the F2 titaniums are still cheaper than the discounted price.
I’ve been riding since Saturday. It’s not how long one has been riding. It is how good one rides that counts.
True, although I might suggest that it takes more than a week to aquire some serious skill.
Do takethis personally.
Why is it necessary to take a recommendation from a stranger and reply with a personal attack? You've never seen me ride, I've never seen you ride.

Neil

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:31 pm

I asked you not to take anything personally in my first post. You’ve taken some comments out of context (and the context was me and Jack recommending 19.5 cm wide boards that are NOT skinny), and appeared to take things personally.

Now you’re “under attack”?

The Russians are coming....The Russians are coming....
Take a shelter nearby! :smile:

Did you ever leave videos of your riding on Bomber?

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:35 pm

On 2002-12-09 14:31, Vlad Popov wrote:
I asked you not to take anything personally in my first post. You’ve taken some comments out of context (and the context was me and Jack recommending 19.5 cm wide boards that are NOT skinny), and appeared to take things personally.
No, the thing I took personally was being called a "tool", then being told that my 16 years of experience didn't compare to your 1 week and to "take this personally". However, if you want to call it a truce I'm done.

FWIW my opinion is that 19.5 is a fat race board but a skinny freecarver.
Did you ever leave videos of your riding on Bomber?
Nope, don't have any video of myself kicking around.

Neil

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:38 pm

I never considered you a tool and I never called you a tool. My apologies if you thought I did.
Vlad.

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:12 pm

Thanks, Vlad.

Adam, try this article for more info:

http://www.bomberonline.com/Tech_Articl ... ckm10.html

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:42 pm

…………………………
In fact, you’re one of my favorite “Bombers” to read on the BoL forum, as you always stay on topic and your stuff tends to be in-depth.

Unfortunately, BoL is getting too busy lately.

Ones again, Blue Tomato is the best start for a beginner in my opinion. For the DC guys the best place would be “Ski and Skate” on rt. 50 and Annandale Rd. in Arlington, VA. This store has been “going out of business” for a couple of years now. If it’s still open, they might have some $50-$100 alpine decks in great shape for a start: Rossi Race, Burton Alps and such. For bindings check e-bay ("plate bindings" or "race bindings") and Blue Tomatoes.

Vlad.

PS I started riding a slalom skateboard in 1986. Snowboard – in 1996.

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
PS I started riding a slalom skateboard in 1986. Snowboard – in 1996.
I started slalom in '76. However I've never ridden at the level that is being shown now, there simply isn't the competition or hills around. When I visited Gaithersburg a couple of years ago, I was slower than GBJ and Mitch by a second or so on a 25 second course. I'm going to try to get off my ass and get something going here next summer but I'm not too hopeful, just not enough people.

Neil

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:36 pm

Vlad, can you give me some better directions to the Ski and Skate in Arlington. I could not find it on the map. Sounds like a place I need to check out.

What size again should I be looking for

170s length?
21 width?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:56 am

Brian,
I called that store. The number has been disconnected. On the other hand, e-bay is the better source. Especially right now. I found several good deals there. My favorite picks are in your e-mail box.
For those doing alpine search on ebay:

Alpine snowboards
Plate Bindings
Race Snowboards
Hard Snowboard boots
Ect Ect Ect

Vlad.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:13 am

I think it is interesting that the current state of affairs in Alpine seems to parallel the state of affairs in slalom skateboarding in 1979.

A few years from now an equipment drought in the USA with only Alpine goods available in Europe.... Followed by Europeans imitating the Americans and abandoning Alpine... and even consistent alpine events won't stop it.

Retailers will stop carrying the product for fear of being stuck with old stock when the newest fastest thing comes out.

The specialty molders with nerve to try new things will be underfunded and lack the marketing muscle to be noticed. The big manufacturers with attractive extended credit terms will move too slowly and be out designed by the smaller companies- feeling that tehy can't compete and the profits are shrinking- they will steer the market as clear from racing and performance as possible.

Perhaps 25 years will pass.
Prices on Ebay for Old Doneks going for 5 times the original price.

People will be talking about the days when there were performance bindings made completely of metal suck as Catek and Bomber. We'll rev old and grey Sean Martin up- hit the old presses with Naval Jelly and fire them up again...

Do we really have to do this twice?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:43 am

John, after drinking half bottle of vodka your post didn’t seem depressing at all! :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.oobsnowboards.com/eces/">East Coast Expression Session</A> is second week of January 2003. Around 100 alpine riders attended this event last year. And the year before.
Check out the event sponsors!

Troy Smart

Post by Troy Smart » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:59 am

I just "won" myself an alpine snowboard and bindings!
I'm going to the Expression Session too!
(where I'm sure I'll hear all about how I should have bought something different).
I'll be the dork in the ski boots (possibly even telemark boots for extra dork points), on the sh*t board.
Be there or be square.
Eat my pow-pow mutherf*&kers!
Yeehaw!
(I've tried hard to encorporate at least one explative into every post I've made on this site. I like it. I hope you do too. [mutherf*&ker]).

Troy Smart

Post by Troy Smart » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:02 am

Uh oh. My "DONT" post-it has ceased to be effective.
Now what the f*ck (another explative) do I do?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:09 pm

Well my hope is that with Websites and good communication- we can grow our sports ....just like has happened with skateboard slalom.

The model Skateboard slalom followed was.

1.A Regular small contest series was stared where people could slalom with advanced notice of the contests (there wasn't much of that in the past) giving would be new and old slalom competitors enough time to practice and gear up to compete. Photos of the course layouts were also important as was having some Skate Legends there to lend credibility and draw for newbies.

2. Gear previously unavailable - was made available (at a huge price) by Ebay.com proving that there was a market for racing gear + profits to be made.

3. Communication about the contest results and How to tips and so forth was available on NCDSA.com- this helped draw newer participants.

4. A larger contest series with $$$ helped to wake up the rest of the Legend skaters and bring new competitors to the sport as well as give new purchasers of gear a reason to expect there would be an ultimate end use for the gear- not to mention longterm value in the gear for the collectors market.

5. With the growing competitor base voraciously consuming gear (Some people spent well over $1500 in the first year) gear became available.

6. The industry stewards seek to build lasting infrastruture and competition base for our sport.

So with Alpine snowboarding- our sister sport- we see some similarities.

However there is a much smaller collectors market for race gear. Also the legends have disappeared for the most part. Sure you can find Kris Carol, Kevin Delaney, Tim Windell, around...but the Andy Coglin and his brother, Eric Webster, Mark Heingartner have dropped off the map ............or did they?....

http://journal00.tripod.com/entry02/retro02.html

You see some of the same things going on.

There is a contest schedule for Alpine snowboarding- but they really need more "jam" events like the ECES, Summit Expression session, and Aspen Expression session.

Ironically for Snowboarding racing--- it is hard to just drop down some gates....as you need the permission of the mountain...ussually extra $$.

Perhaps the best model is the consistant model like Out of Bounds Snowboard Shop has with its "Sunday Morning Breakfast Club" where Alpiners meet at the shop and go tear up Killington each Sunday morning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2002-12-16 19:35 ]</font>

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:54 pm

Because this is a “reader’s” forum, more so then a “writers” site- what the hell- here’s something to read if you’ve read everything else. It’s Friday, it’s slow here and at work, so why not to write&read? :smile:
In the light of the recent Graig Kelly tragic death, snowboard discussions were tolerated even at (!) http://www.ncdsa.com.

East Coast Expression Session-2003, organized by Shaggy, CMC, and SteveP among other non-slalomers, wasn’t as big as last year’s session, or even the year before. It wasn’t a failure in terms of attendance, snow quality and the amount of fun, it just wasn’t as big. However, it was bigger then ever on prizes. What’s really worth mentioning is that more board prizes came from skateboard companies then from the alpine snowboard industry!

That was the 3d official session, 4th overall. Same mountain, same time of year, looks like it’s become quite a tradition for many East Coast and Canadian hardbooters. The snow conditions were epic all week long, except for Thursday and Friday, the two days when most people came to ride. Thursday was a 100% powder day. None of the trails were groomed after 4 or 6 inches of fresh snow fell overnight. Taking a hardboot set up though fresh snow is like skating a slalom board in a skateboard park- doable, but not desirable.

I could have told you more about the event and its history, but all that info can be found on other sites. Here I’m going to describe something that’s hard to find anywhere else- (some) riders’ styles.
There are as many styles as there are alpine riders on the mountain. I’ll describe only a few here that I like.

CMC. The style master. Flawless technique. Ease of transitions, effortless carving, the guy is flying. Total control. Never (?) falls. Looks like he can do whatever he wants to do whenever he pleases. Including stopping and doing a 720 spin on the board’s tail on any trail, any part of the mountain, any time. The body is compressed, yet, like a suspension spring, has enough of the needed free travel distance to absorb shock. Upper body is working all the time. The legs with the board attached- just follow. Everyone wants to be as good. No one comes close in style points. I heard Curt is a joint product of Gimlour’s and PSR’s instructions, as well as 5-riding-days-a-week dedication.

Paul. Layback carving, standing up in the transitions, compressing in the turns. Consistency is the word that probably describes his style the best. He carves the black-diamond slopes with the same ease he does beginner green trails. He can just rocket away on the tail from every single turn, or he can make the board stick all the way thought the turn. The most amazing thing about his style- one wouldn’t tell he’s one of the best riders, but when he gets on the steepest and narrowest trails and starts pushing it “effortlessly”, you know he is.

Ken. Rides longer boards, but really loves and excels on short sticks, like Donek 171 and Madd 158. Likes to jump. Any decent bump won’t be carved around, it’d be used for a take off. On perfect groomers, where no bumps to be found, he takes off on almost every transition, catapulting himself into the air using the energy of the board’s tail. Fast. But sometimes spends more time in the air then on the snow. Fun guy. Flying Ken.

John. The typical Gilmourian style on snow is the following: quick working shoulders and lightning quick transitions from edge to edge. No one gets from side to side quicker. It seems far easier to follow a fellow hardbooter and analyze his technique than to follow a slalomer on a skateboard around cones and try to do the same. From my perspective it seemed that John gets most of his weight on the tail of the board (158 cm Madd) and lets his upper body do the side-to-side work.
A really cute show-off trick will be missed if the observer is casually trailing behind Gilmour. John pumps his board quickly, then extends his body and his arm, and “slams” on the board while getting compressed. The board makes a super sharp turn at super high speed, while the board’s square rear end produces a snow rooster tail over 10 feet high. It looks like a solid wall of snow and the rider is nowhere to be seen. I’m certain if Gilmour needed to run away form the ski patrol (reckless speeding on the hill, of course, what else?), he could just use this maneuver to hide behind the wall of snow and get into the woods quickly.

Shaggy. Last year struggled with the wrong boots and shorter boards. This year got a pair of Raichles and a 210 cm Donek (that is 7 feet tall!!!) and plain ripped. Shaggy exceeded everyone’s expectations, I suspect his own as well. A 210 cm board with a 16 or 17 m sidecut looked like a short stick-that’s how easy to handle he made it appear. No one rode a longer board this year. Everyone who got 186 cm (6 ft) boards two or 3 years ago as one of the longest boards on the market felt really strange. In a year, a 186 board with a 15-meter sidecut becomes a medium slalom stick. The rumor is a 235 cm Donek is the makings. The guy who ordered it is CMC.

Me: I just follow guys like Gilmour and CMC and repeat everything they do. Then master it on my own. Haven’t found a quicker way to learn just yet. Every year - there is a breakthrough. Carving is easy when done with those who know carving well. Sort of like slalom.

Vlad.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:44 pm

Right on Vlad, thanks for the note. Here, you don't have to worry about being shut out. VERY VERY little editing going on here if any at all.

Here in Arizona, we are having climate changes or we are going through a cycle of dry winters. About 10 to 15 years ago, the time period before that, the snowfall was good almost every year, even the dry years were ok. Now, we are acting more like our name, Arizona and the snowfall is greatly reduced in frequancy and depth.

I started to get interested in carving, but the winter did not shape up. Here we are in the middle of it and Snowbowl is in horrible shape while Sunrise at four hours away is mediocre.

With kite boarding and the good weather for riding skateboards, carving the groomed has little interest for me as it is not so easy any more to just decide to go next weekend, the weather isn't cooperating.

BTW, any kiters here?

Anyway, I still enjoy reading about it and maybe in the next lifetime, Arizona will start getting some good winter snowfall in the highlands...

No worries Vlad, in here you can post just about anything you want except pornography or hate stuff.

BTW, any kiters around here? Did I already mention that?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:40 pm

So, there is a snow session almost every weekend in the DC area (Whitetail, PA).

You can’t do THAT on your slalom board!

<center>Image</center>
Last edited by Vlad Popov on Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:19 pm

All right you lazy snowbound slalomers- get your Alpine boards out of the closet!

The snow is PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT and at these temps you don't have to go far north to get good snow.

How about a rally?

Can you tell I bought some new gear? A rare thing for me really.

I got the Head boots with intec step in heel and the new 2004 Catek step ins. I even waxed my boards.

Who wants to ride? I even might drive south to you southern boys snowcovered molehills. It was -2 this morning here.

Email me a private message through this site.

I especially am up for weekday riding.

Nearby Gunstock has $20 night skiing and a 2 hour day ticket for $14- not bad for a 1500 vertical foot molehill that grooms 3 times a day Morning, noon, and night.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:39 pm

For you southern riders. Mt. Sunappe off I-89 has 2 for one thursdays. $24 lift tickets for out of staters.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:50 pm

The 2003/2004 snou seezn is here. Lez kahrv sum ajs! Image

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:43 pm

John,

I'm thinking Stratton Friday, Dec 19. +CMC + KenB +Shaggy (?)

Or maybe there are some good alternatives in NH? Since there're tons of snow?

Alan Schroeder
Shaggy

Post by Alan Schroeder » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:04 am

I'm there every day.......need a place to stay?
shaggy

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:36 am

Deleted by Jack Smith on December 14th, 2003.