Russian Tortoise

Off Topic Subjects
Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Russian Tortoise

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:27 pm

JG, I gave my kids and myself a pair of female Russian Tortoise for the Holidays.

They are so cool, awesome.

I've set them up with a great habitat and when I get into a home, they will become outdoor/backyard dwellers.

It's unreal how they have "personalities."

I really like them as pets and I'll let you know how I feel about them after 30 more years...

adam

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:24 pm

<p>

<center>Image</center></p>

So, they are Russian, heh? Put them on a slalom couse, see how fast they are.
Maybe an illegal turtle fight one day? Gilmour? Chris?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:40 pm

It's been awhile, how are the turtles doing?

Do they have any funny habits?
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Sven Lippert

turtles

Post by Sven Lippert » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:24 pm

i am living together with my turtle for more than 8 years - its a greece version and she is getting biger and bigger - around two kg in the moement and in top shape - i think i know my pet pretty good and our baby got personality for shure - let me know if you want more or details

Li

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:51 am

Yeah, the shit in their feed bowl if they like what I am feeding them, sort of funny.

Both are females, the kids named them "Tina and Geoffry" and each one has it's own distinct personality.

They are getting excellent care, a shower/bath once a week with a toothbrush scrubbin and their litter is changed regularly. I really really can't wait until we get them into an outdoor pen, that will be cool for them.

Great pets.

John, any comments on yours???

Sven? I would enjoy hearing more.

Thanks,

adam

Sven Lippert

more facts

Post by Sven Lippert » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:05 am

hey adam,

my english is not the best, but i give my best. some more facts, she is female and her name is "hertha" (its an old german female name). she is ten years old and weighs around 2,2 kg`s. we had a removal to another appartment 3 weeks ago so our baby needs now a little bit time to get comfortable with the new appartment. perfect is, that we are living now in front of a beautfull park, so that we can take her out in summer for some outdoor activities over sthe street.
she loves to "run" under the bushes, eating fresh grass and flowers and hanging around in the sun.
one of her habits is the following - its a kind of procedure when we feed her (she only gets the best and freshes stuff with vitamin ingediences to stay in good shape and condition) : ok when we put the footbowl on the ground, she comes fast, starts to cover the footbowl with her body, pulls her neck out and starts kind of roaring at us. we interpret it like "this is my food and i have to defeat it now" this takes about two minutes before she starts eating. pretty nice girl !!!!!!
thats so far from berlin and some other facts next time
cheers sven

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:06 am

Wow, these animals sound awesome. How fast do they move though? Anybody have pics? My brother has his lizards, I want a tortoise.

Sven Lippert

Post by Sven Lippert » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:45 am

they are awesome, and you get t know them every year - ok how fast do they runn ? i guess something like 50 cones a half day if they have enough food in between and the sun has enough power to give them energy - dont know - i guess it depeneds on their mood but they are not the fastest .....

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:57 am

Mine could run at a good clip on a hot day- much faster than you would expect a turtle to run- about the speed of a slow jog.

Mine also had funny rituls and dances that they would do when posturing with one another- and strangely enough at times they would mimic human movements- freaked out my girlfriend when they did this.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:26 am

Wow, these things keep sounding better! Are they high maintenence? I how much would I expect to have to pay for one?

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:13 am

After reading these new spur of posts, I am contemplating adopting a tortoise into our family.

I did some research on the web and it`s ashaming what you find out there...
People getting tortoises that grow large and before long outgrow thier living space so folks just turn `em loose in the wild. And these are non native species that could drastically alter an exsisting ecosystem.
There`s also a respiratory virus that they may have and can unleash unto the native species.

Also I found a site about taking care of a native species THAT IS ON THE ENDANGERED LIST. Man the gall of them.

This is a big deal with taking one into your home. It`s a long comitment as they live long lives
Got ants?

Sven Lippert

Post by Sven Lippert » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:58 am

its not that easy to get a turtle for a fair price cause they are officially on the list of endangered species. we got our baby from a private person who is bringing up turtles. that guy had a really really big garden and there where about 30 turtles living.
he had to seperate my baby from the others, cause she always got into fights with two men. that was luck for us - we had basic knowledge of their lifestyle - the guy gave us additional informations and up from that time she is a part of our family.