longboard/longboard slalom forum

Off Topic Subjects

Are you interested in a longboard/longboard slalom forum?

No, it is just a waste of space and time
32%
Yes, it sounds cool
68%

Total votes: 34

Hunter Singleton

longboard/longboard slalom forum

Post by Hunter Singleton » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:57 pm

Please answer the poll to show Adam that there is enough interest in a longboard forum.
**This can be any kind of longboarding(sliding,bank, pool, carving,slalom, whatever, but i think it should mostly stick to longboard slalom**

also if this happens we need a moderator... I can't do it

Thanks,
Hunter Singleton
Last edited by Hunter Singleton on Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:08 am

already put my vote in, but would there be space to talk about skating bowls and such w/longboards or just slalom as the forum name suggests

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:21 am

The discipline forums have been dead for a while. Maybe LongboardSL will jumpstart that section. Why not.

RL

SLALOM

Post by RL » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:26 am

I prefer to see slalom only and by that I mean TS, GS, Euro style straight.
There are plenty of other sites for that other stuff.
I hope the future of slalom is more in the traditional aspects of the slalom
skateboard disipline.
I hope that the Extreme style dosent over ride the simple purity of laying down some cones in the street.

But what do I know? I'm just an old guy who rides a flexy little skateboard around and sometimes thru orange cones in the street
Last edited by RL on Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:56 am

It's a great idea.

It's rather strange 5 people would vote no?
It's not a waste of time or space. Clearly if they don't like it, they don't have to look at it.

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:10 am

This is a slalom skateboard forum. People with longboards do slalom. So this is also a forum for longboarders. At least for the slaloming part of longboarding.

If you are trying to invent some new slalom discipline only for longboards (longboard slalom) this could be the forum to push for that if you like.

If you are trying to invent some new discipline not including slalom skills like "longest slide" and the such this is most likely not the forum unless you want to use the "off topic" section where you can discuss this just as much as snowboarding, surfing, cars and your grandma's record collection.

There is no clear limit of the slalom world and the things like the "cross" discipline mixing slalom and downhill has been embrased by the slalom community. But if you are only into downhill this is most likely not the forum for you.

Whether you ride a streetboard, longboard, shortboard, highboard, lowboard or my board I don't care. In that case maybe we should have forums for them as well? I don't think that was the intention for this site though.

If you're really into longboards there is the "board" forum in here too that you could use.

Anyway. What I'm trying to say is... Let's keep this a slalom skateboard forum.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:38 am

Longboard Slalom is not inherently different from Traditional Slalom - It is simply a classification of race based on a board wheelbase specification. We run a longboard-class slalom race as part of the DC Outlaw race series and I have heard of it being done elsewhere. So I suppose it is a new slalom discipline. Does it warrant a dedicated, catch-all forum? I don’t know. Many people do not agree on what the designated wheelbase length should be.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:54 am

Mebbe start it as a thread under DC, and see if it grows...

I'm currently in the process of building a LB slalom deck so that I won't be "cheating" on the DC spec of 30"+ axle to axle.

Q

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:50 pm

I voted yes, but……if there is such a forum started, my feeling is that it should be grouped together as “Other Skateboard Disciplines”, with a subtitle of “Longboarding/Speedboarding/Pools/Parks/Street/Freestyle/Ditches”. Why not have a place here where we that do enjoy slalom-skateboarding can talk about other types of skateboarding that we might like and participate in as well? A more rounded skater can bring more to the table of any disicpline/type of skateboarding is my feeling.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:20 am

...sticky subject indeed. I am not interested in re-inventing the wheel. I do think I/we could do a great job though. This format and the people that we have involved would surely make it a great place to visit.

We really need a mission statement.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

LONGBOARD/SLALOM /FORUM - - - YES !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:23 am

YES....Why not ?

....Since we have a WORLD "LONGBOARD" SLALOM Event coming this
Sept. -2004 -in San Diego, California, - - - I think it would be GREAT to start sharing ideas and info - -
board length , board flex, trucks, wheels, whatever !

-ANOTHER GREAT CATEGORY of riding - - - - - - in this GREAT WORLD of SLALOM RACING ! - Oh Heck Yeah !

.....................................-Rene' CANNONBALL Carrasco !
RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:11 pm

Interesting to note that the slalom area that supported longboard slalom racing- also had the fastest growing slalom population and the highest ratio of newbies as well as a voracious appitites for slalom gear.

I can't see why we should not support our longboard breathren- I also think that some correllation between cone spacing and wheelbase exists.

What is a pro level longboard course on a moderate slope is a beginner short board course- making the entry to short boards a bit easier.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:28 am

How about a forum for Slalom-Hurdle? ;-)

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

??????????

Post by Rene Carrasco » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:22 am

Glenn -

Isn't that Brian Beardsley of the Freeformer Team @ Akron, Ohio ?

.................just a guess.........

............................-Rene' C.