Movies Not To Miss

Off Topic Subjects
Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Movies Not To Miss

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Last night I went and saw CARS, Pixars new animated feature. Yes, it's about talking cars and there's a certain amount of adolescence to it. There's also some rather witty dialogue and downright funny situations.

The only reason, though, I'm posting this is to recommend that it be seen on the big screen. It is undoudebtly one of the most VISUALLY SPECTACULAR films I have ever seen. I'm talking about putting it in the same cinematic genre as 2001: A Space Odyssey, TITANIC, STAR WARS and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. Even if you don't like the story, just SEE it. Pixas has created a new kind of movie: incredibly realistic computer-generated fantasy (does that make sense?)

I don't know how they did it but when you watch it you really believe you're in the desert and these cars are alive. It's close to scary. There's a few scenes (in a cartoon, no less) where your breath is cut short because of the visual impression on the screen. I do not know if that will translate well to a television screen or not.

Anyway, I passed along a recommendation to see SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and a couple of other films over the years and this one is definetely on my list. Even if you have to wait til it hits the $1 theatres, make it a point to see it. And hear it. The sound is just as unbelievable as the imagery.

P.S. No spoilers here, but I will tell you that Larry The Cable Guy, George Carlin and Cheech Marin were cast PERFECTLY for this film. And like most Pixar films, be sure and stay for the credits at the end. The movie just keeps right on going til they turn off the projector.

Kevin Dunne

Post by Kevin Dunne » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:40 am

Reluctlantly, I also saw Cars this weekend with my kids. From the previews, I thought it was going to be just another so-so animated movie but, after seeing it, I can honestly say it was one great movie. Also great were the voices of Richard Petty and Paul Newman, and the fact that the movie really did parallel (I thought you'd like that term Wes!) real-life events. Take your kids if you have them...if not go see Cars anyway!