John Gilmour at WLAC [Tight Slalom], 2001

Movie Files (avi, mpg, rm, etc.)

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

John Gilmour at WLAC [Tight Slalom], 2001

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:54 pm

This is a video (Quicktime Movie) of John Gilmour at a 2001 WLAC tight slalom race.

(movie credit unknown)

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:59 am

I think Marc Dupal shot it. Those shoes were a slalom first. When I got there the organizers did not have cones so I let them use mine. I set up a practice course- and though it was an easy course at the time, the guys there weren't used to running anything other than GS. I set a fairly easy tight course 6.5 foot centers, had to broaden that to 7.5 foot centers, and finally settled on cones about 8.25 on center. Not particlarly fast course for a TS, but one that was good for the majority of the racers. The hill was nearly flat- with a sort of starting mound.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:52 am

John,
Richy,Evans,Attila, and many of the top WLAC crew would blow you away these days if you only gave it two weak push starts like you did in that video clip :wink:. Now they are starting from the top of that street and kicking full speed right up to the first cone. I would say that they reach speeds that are almost twice as fast as what it "looks" like you reached back then. Also that course looks to be only about 25 cones or so. I think they do about 50 on that street now. Now if only they would give that steet a fresh coat of pavment for next years events.

We watched the old WLAC video(back to 1999),that Maria Carrasco had taken, at the BBQ recently after the JPL Oulaw 2 race . The recent resurgence of Slalom has really advanced from what you guys were doing back then.

Amazing what a few years of regular slalom skating can do. Not to mention the better equipment. The regular WLAC crew has gotten very good.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:00 pm

Well- you only have to go fast enough to win. I actually made the course very easy because few people could finish it at the time. I had to loosen the course up twice and bring in the offsets twice as no one was able to make the first course and only Chaput and a few others could make the second. Cone spacings were about 7.5-8 feet on center. I wasn't really going for it. THE WLAC crew has really gotten fast and I wasn't sure they would ahve ever been able to race at the level of the Euros in teh 90's- but now i think they could go over there and do well- but where are the Euro racers from the 90's?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:29 pm

- but where are the Euro racers from the 90's?
Jani’s on the Turner/Jani mission in St. Petersburg, talking to Sinodalova, Matsukevich, Moshchenkov, Kozhin and Alexeevs. 20 kilos of Turner wheels should help bring some of them back. A couple of St. Petersburg slalomers might come to Trocadero this year.

Any of the today’s WLAC races require Cambria wheels as opposed to Avalons and Avilas?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:27 am

- but where are the Euro racers from the 90's?
Dr. Gilmour,
Today is the day your question gets answered.
Here’s a list of names from the recent Swiss race registration.
Recognize any BIG names?

Ferrero Gianluca Genova Indiana Italy Men
Giammarco Luca Turin Indiana Italy Men
Gatti Paolo Verona Indiana-Seismic Italy Men
Ferrero Frederico Verona Indiana Italy Boy's
Ferrero Andreas Genova Indiana-Seismic Italy Boy's

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:03 am

Bullshit! Gatti? No way- damn thats one fast Investment Banker. This is one contest I won't miss.

Luca I am sure is still fast on a Euro course and still likely lean with that crazy cat like agility similar to Olsons.

It would be great to see those two race against each other. Last race I saw Gatti in at Hombrecktikon he was unbeatable.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:38 am

Gianluca started posted on the other europen site in January and announced he was putting his team back together and was starting to train again. He also mentioned getting Alberto Tomba out with him, apparently they are good buddies.

This should be good for the sport. We should see some balance at this years World Championships should the other Europens come over to the US for the competition. Hopefully both sides of the pond will develop some up and comers so there isn't any one sided victories. Although if most slalomers are not believers of the Europen strength then it's too bad for them.