looking for pointers

Movie Files (avi, mpg, rm, etc.)

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

looking for pointers

Post by Chris Iversen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:55 pm

Been getting pointers from my friend Brad (the guy walking up the hill in this vid), but it's always nice to get more. Couldn't afford to go to Dovencourt last week, so I'm looking for input from the scene here....

This is me a couple of weeks ago, I've been into slalom for a very short time, and would like to keep improving. Let me know what you think please....

http://members.shaw.ca/christophish/phish.MOV
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:29 pm

Chris,

You've got pretty good form from the hips down. Here's one question, though, for you to consider:

Why is your right arm "dead?"

Look at the video. It's just hanging there. It's not adding to your balance or your pump. Watch the video again and think about your form from the waist up. I can also tell from the vid that you are accelerating but it's more a matter of gravity than pump. Think about "pushing" from cone to cone. Push from the hips down and from the hips up. That's where the arms come into play.

Get that arm up! It looks like a dead salami hanging in a butcher's window! :-)

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:17 am

What Wes said and ...

I suggest you square your shoulders to the course. In the vid you're standing sideways. Square your shoulders to the course by rotating your body at the hips. Bend your knees and hold your arms at the same height on either side of you. When you turn right your right arm goes up and when you turn left your left arm goes up, throwing yourself into each turn from the hips. Lean right, lean left but stay facing downhill.

I should mention that I'm just a low-mid pack racer myself. The above is pretty much stolen from from the pros I'm fortunate enough to skate with.

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Thanks for the pointers guys. We are setting up a slower course (same hill, just starting lower) in order to work on "body english." the course on that video was extremely fast, and I found it difficult to really work on form. I was basically just trying to get down quickly and cleanly without eating it! Squaing my shoulders is something I have definitely been thinking about. Thanks Steve for explaining how to do that. I'll post my progress later. Thank you also Wesley for the eloquent kick in the butt! I need that frequently... I will get that salami mobile!

Keep the pointers coming, the more I have to work with the better. And thanks again.
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!