FCR / VISION SLALOM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS ON FOX SPORTS NET ,

Internet, Magazine, TV, Radio

Moderator: Maria Carrasco

Glenn S

FCR / VISION SLALOM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS ON FOX SPORTS NET ,

Post by Glenn S » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:50 pm

Fox Sports Net (FSN) is airing the first of two segments of the Vision/FCR World Championships of Skateboard Slalom Racing starting today.

Check your guide for "EXTV" on Monday, Dec. 23, 2002 at 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (re-airs again at 2:30 a.m.) for day one from Avila Beach, California and on Wednesday - Christmas Day, Dec. 25 (same time slots) for day two from Morro Bay, California.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:12 pm

Well, it looked good and the venue was incomparable. Once again, though, I have to repeat the same criticism I had after La Costa: why am I watching video of a pool skater who sings in a rock band instead of the finals from the other divisions?

Don't get me wrong. I met Duane (briefly,) and he's a cool guy. No doubt. He's an awesome skater. No doubt. But he didn't make the final eight of the World Championships. But Dylan Gordon, Josh Byrd, Terri Benko, Sharon Sidlo, Lauren Gordon and several other skaters DID make the finals. Why didn't I see coverage of their events? Where was the feature about Terri being the first woman to qualify in the Open Class? Speaking of which, where were the finals between Paul and Siale?

And don't think I'm talking just about the DP feature. The same goes for the downhilling. That's filler designed to just fill out the 24 minutes or so of air time. Some racing that shows more than a bunch of middle-aged white guys would do a LOT more to enhance the image of slalom racing to the viewing public.

So in reviewing the show, I guess my biggest complaint is there just wasn't enough slalom racing.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:49 pm

Hi Wes,

Yes, I would love to have seen more actual racing. The feature on Duane was part of the deal with Vision who put up sponsor dollars in the 5-figure range, the Redbull commercial was the same deal they put up
4-figure money.
Hopefully, we will able to secure one big sponsor for the next year so we won't have to do the same type of thing.
Thanks for watching.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:53 am

Great to hear that it happened. Things like these are never good enough, but what we should be pleased about is that it really happened. The World Championships on TV!
Well done, FCR! Thank you!

I'm in Sweden right now and am desperately trying to understand when (European time) the next show will be on. I have checked their website but haven't been able to figure it out. I'm wondering if I should convert US Pacific coast time to European or if they actually air at different times here.
And maybe they don't even air the same program...

Any help would be appreciated. I do not intend to stay in front of the TV all day tomorrow.

If anyone records it I'd be happy to pay for a copy of a video, DVD or whatever. Thank you.

...and Merry Christmas to you all!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:13 am

Saw the tight slalom races from Morro Bay today . . . twice! All I can say is the racing was hotter, the locale was sweet and the overall half hour gets a B+ in my book (you know why it didn't get an "A": what was all the gibberish with the band and more pool skating? Maybe someone paid for it, but that don't mean I have to like it!)

One thing I haven't seen anyone comment on was the Manufacturer's expose'. I thought Buddy, Howard and Mr. Ick came off very well. I especially liked Rick's explanation of how racing boards are one-offs, built to spec, etc. Gives the whole sport an "exclusive" sort of feel.

So far it would appear the only complaints about the whole weekend is course setting. Since that's an issue that will NEVER be settled to everyone's satisfaction, why bother going over it again? FCR, Vision, EX TV and whoever was in the mix really got it right with this half hour. Big thumbs up.