Race & Event Promo, Coverage: Silverfish

Internet, Magazine, TV, Radio

Moderator: Maria Carrasco

Erik Basil

Race & Event Promo, Coverage: Silverfish

Post by Erik Basil » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:06 pm

If you have a slalom event, race or open clinic to promote, and are willing to provide an after-event article with photos, SilverfishLongboarding.com will gladly host your promotions and race reports. If you need help writing or formatting them, we can do that, too.

Silverfish is the 2006 Media Partner for the Downhillbillies and the IGSA. Check out the race and event coverage on the front page of the magazine.

For coverage or questions, contact: ebasil@silverfishlongboardingDOTcom
I ride fast boards, slowly.

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:26 pm

The free Events Calendar at Silverfish is up and running, again. It offers the ability to post/search skate events, using the same formatting tools and links as one can do in a regular post on the site. It also now includes a registration survey, allowing visitors to click and indicate their intent to attend. Feel free to use it, and to check it, for any skate-related events.

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 am

Okay, 2007 is shaping up to be a good year for big events like the Slalom Worlds in N. Virginia and the very real possibility of a La Costa Open on the road. You'll be able to read all about those before they happen on Silverfish, and any number of other places especially including here. If you've got a smaller event, and want to get the word out to over 6,000 different people per day, you should know that the 'Fish continues its policy to support and sponsor skateboard events. Some of the things you can do to reach just about every slalom racer in-the-know, plus thousands of potential recruits:

--List your race in the Events Calendar, which is always free. It includes a simple input screen that allows you to specify the who, how and where of the event, link to graphics, upload your own and to set a registration price. If you've got a PayPal account, you can click a button and have racers pay you, directly, when they register. The system will even send you an email the night before the event, with a list of registrants and whether they've paid in advance.

--promote your event in advance, on our front pages and in the forums. If you've seen articles in advance of Skate Jams, DHB races, La Costa Boys races, IGSA races, etc... then you know what this can look like. It works: people come out and sponsors notice the press covereage YOU create.

--take the time to get photos at your events and write up an Event Report. We'll run it on our front page, and we can help you write it if you get the willies when you try to get it on the page. The more people know about your event, the more likely they are to come to the next one (whether it's yours or not). This is also another way to thank your sponsors: thousands will read the report and it's linkable for all time.

Silverfish Longboarding is really about far more than longboarding and we're a proud member of the ISSA. You have our committment to help you spread the stoke and make great events.

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Wed May 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Just a reminder: our offer to provide free promotional and post-event coverage remains open to ISSA-related slalom events. Frankly, if you're racing skateboards, we'll do our best to get the word out to the roughly 8,000 people that visit the 'Fish each day in '08.

As above: write/type in Word or compatible format, attach photos separately and email them directly.

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:30 pm

Just a reminder to event promoters and skaters who enjoy events and want to get the word out: Silverfish supports this goofy slalom thing and will run your stories, galleries and promotionals if you'd like to avail yourself of the opportunity. It's late 2009, and roughly 15,000 different people, coming from all over the world, hit our front pages every day. What percentage of those would like to know their sponsorship was highlighted or might come out to your event (or the next one)?

Paint a great picture of our sport and the 'Fish will shine a light on it for you.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Sounds great to me!!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Erik and Malakai are both very proud members of the ISSA . . . just not loud and proud.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Erik,

I don't go there often, but today I did and I clicked on one of the "most popular articles" and it turns out all the images in this topic are gone. Can you fix it?

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/A ... Longboard/

/Jani

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Back atcha, Jani!
Whoo! That article was from 2002, and it appears from the logs that the photos were hosted elsewhere (that pre-dates our photo hosting). Heck, that's back when Fatboy was Slimkid... I'll put that one in our hopper of articles to update.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Fine!

/Jani

Erik Basil

2010, offer still good

Post by Erik Basil » Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 am

So, here we are in 2010. If your events are full and your sponsors satisfied you've gotten the word out to the attendees, then you don't need the internet! On the other hand, if you'd like more skaters and would like to ensure your sponsors' largesse reaches a lot of people, consider taking the time to promote your event on the 'fish. There are several ways you can do so:

--Post your event in the Event Calendar, free
--Post your event in the Events Forum, free
--Post your event in the Slalom Forum before it gets moved to the Events Forum, free. :D
--Come up with interesting text, images and information regarding your event and submit it for front page coverage well in advance of the event. Remember to include the names of your sponsors. Cost: your time.
--Come up with interesting text, images and information regarding the outcome of your event, including photos and references that include your sponsors' support of the event and RACING (please, not another picture of somebody on flat ground, though), and submit it **very soon** after your event. Remember to thank your sponsors. Include the links if you want them to list. Cost: none

I think I've probably said it in this thread already, but if you paint a great picture of our sport, we'll shine a light on you. As of May 2010, over 20k daily uniques and regular phone/email from media with questions. Be seen, ya kooky swerve-skaters!

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Brothers and Sisters of the Revolution: 2011 is upon you. If you've got a series, a race, a clinic or a massive event with $15,000.00 in purse money, please do Slalom Skateboarding a favor and tell the world about it, before, during and after your event.

Silverfish Longboarding suggests you purchase advertisements and coverage in your local newspaper, local television, skateboard magazines and radio stations, and that you send targeted mailings to persons you've identified as skateboarders and journalists. Show your potential sponsors that their largesse will be rewarded with recognition and exposure beyond the racers at your event, "before, during and after" it takes place and that newcomers are entering the sport because of your efforts.

Of course, the visitors to your local websites are already targeted for you. We suggest you avail yourself of those portals to the internet and that you figure out how many people might see your event promotions, advertisements and coverage if you bother to do so.

Finally, consider accepting welfare from your potential sponsors. Many of them pay to keep Silverfish on the air and would be happy to see your event and their support turn up on the pages and forums of the website they invest in to reach those reading it. 22,485 separate people visited the 'fish yesterday (and Sundays are slow), reading 4,149,939 pageviews. Those skaters are local to your event, and beyond. They attend events, buy your sponsors' gear and put on their own events after seeing your stoke.

Scroll up for the fees, costs and requirements to drink the water.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Erik Basil wrote:Back atcha, Jani!
Whoo! That article was from 2002, and it appears from the logs that the photos were hosted elsewhere (that pre-dates our photo hosting). Heck, that's back when Fatboy was Slimkid... I'll put that one in our hopper of articles to update.
actually......I was fatter in 2002
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:11 pm

...but not better-looking!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 pm

hahahahaha - I was rockin' the Ben Franklin skullet in '02, not the aero buzzcut I have now
Evil Potentate

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Renewed Offer to the Board and ISSA supporters: if you have a skater that develops coverage of an event with photos, prepare two versions of the coverage: one with text and photos and a longer version with full results and stats. We'll run the short one, front page on Silverfish with over 23k uniques seeing it, and include a link to the ISSA front page, where you'll run the longer one. This is a technique to drive traffic and attention to the front end of the ISSA website, and it works.

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:43 am

I hope this will be taken advantage of during the next season. It can only be good for slalom.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:52 pm

I agree with my fellow large man
Evil Potentate

Erik Basil

Re: Race & Event Promo, Coverage: Silverfish

Post by Erik Basil » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Have you an event planned, either a local session or a race with solicited sponsors? Get the word out, both before and after!

If you want more slalom skaters, then you want more non-slalom skaters to find out about slalom and slalom events. Scroll up for suggestions based on experience, offers for support you can avail yourself of and some outdated info. The outdated part? Oh, it's about 31k different people hitting the front page of the 'fish every single day right now. Would you be stoked to have 0.5% develop an interest in what you're doing? Is it worth a try?

See you out there!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: Race & Event Promo, Coverage: Silverfish

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks for your support Erik.

We may be a bit slow to catch on, we've been busy this year just getting the basics of the ISSA back in place, and keeping the race season running. It's been a good season so far with good attendance, so we're doing OK. Soon, we'll be ready to do a better job to attract newbies into our sport, and then we'll come 'fishing!

/Jani