Race Promoter's Preparation Checklist

Internet, Magazine, TV, Radio

Moderator: Maria Carrasco

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Race Promoter's Preparation Checklist

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:12 am

Well, it would appear the Grass Roots Racing is steaming along full speed. So I propose that "we", (meaning those of us who like to go to races,) create here a CHECKLIST for race promoters of stuff needed to make a good race.

I propose two categories:

Standard

Accessories.

Here's what I would say is STANDARD to put on a grass roots race today (don't laugh at the obvious. What's obvious to you is completely clueless to the newbie promoter.)

STANDARD:

• PLENTY OF CONES (Sometimes the 30 used to practice is not enough to set dual courses of 60-70 cones apiece.)
• TIMING SYSTEM
• CHALK
• WALKIE TALKIES
• TABLE
• CHAIRS (at least two.)
• AWNING FOR THE TIMERS
• PENCIL, PEN OR OTHER WRITING INSTRUMENTS. (How many times have you got to the hill and started rummaging around under the car seat looking for a bic and ended up writing the times in chalk on the pavement?)
• WRITING PAD (Refer to my comments above made some moments ago. Bigger the better)

These are the ACCESSORIES. Things to make a better race experience, but not vital to running a race.

ACCESSORIES:

• LAPTOP COMPUTER (Someday this may become an indispensable part of the timing systerm, but not today.)
• SOUND SYSTEM (It's nice to have, but not imperative for Grass Roots Racing.)
• START RAMPS (Again, nice to have, but don't cancel the race if they are unavailable.)
• PLENTY OF WATER (Personally, I'd rather see lots of water bought with my registration money than t-shirts. Sometimes arranging that for yourself when hundreds of miles from home can be a real hassle.)
• T-SHIRTS (Mementos from the event are cool, but not imperative.)
• PRIZES (Fun to race for, but again, this is Grass Roots. Don't revolve the opportunity to race around the chance to get swag.)

OK. These are my points. Add some here that you consider worthwhile (beer, whores, shoes, jock straps and cups will be immediately ignored.) After a few days if there is some really good additions or if the arguments AGAINST any suggestion is strong enough, I'll write up a final draft of the checklist.

Then, as I did with the Slalom Brochure, I'll produce a PDF for download that can be a concise and precise checklist any promoter can use to put on a race.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Basics

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:24 pm

Well Wes,

Since your going for the basics to lead newbies down the road to race organization here's my two cents....Errrr.. items. Back-up batteries for your walkies and a roll of tape for the timer switches if your system has one.

Oh and define your race format before you get there and only deviate if weather or major unforeseen circumstances prevail. I have noticed that nothing makes racers grouse more than a change in the way they were told or thought they were going to be racing.

The addendum is merely my observation, it may not be a checklist item.

Rock on "D" Champ!!!!

Marty
La Costa Boy For Life

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:05 pm

Marty,

I thought about that (really. I did.) But I figured that if someone is savvy enough to spend a few hundred dollars to get a timing system then they would be clever enough to know all the components to make it work. To me tape is a component of the system, not an extra.

This list, though, can be as detailed as racers think it needs to be. If it's decided to list all the parts of the timing system to make it work, then we'll do it. Also, with the four-tone start, a boom box or some other sound system is necessary. Does that get listed or is it just one more component to the timing system? Y'all decide.

Additionally, there's things like "CONES (equal numbers of two different colors.)" What's more, is we can get picky and put START RAMPS in the "STANDARD" category if that's what's decided. In other words, don't plan a Grass Roots Race if you can't guarantee ramps.

I agree with you wholeheartedlly, though, about defining the race. Back in 2003 (before you got back into racing) we had a lengthy discussion on SS.com about the value of COMMUNICATION in race organization. It sort of evolved in a thread I started about the value of published race course designs. Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1149

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Downhillbillies Race Promoter Planning List

Post by Marion Karr » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:08 pm

Here is a planning list we recently developed based on our experience with the Dixie Cup. Some of the info that is here is not applicable to Outlaw events but you can pick and choose the items that fit your scenario. Please post comments or suggestions on things we may have left out or need to change.

Downhillbillies
Race Planning List

1. Secure permission for venue (city, dept. of transportation, parks and recreation dept., private property owners, etc.)
2. Determine race format(s) (SGS, GS, Hybrid, Tight, single lane, dual lane, elimination, jam format, etc)
3. Determine race classes (A, B, C, D groups, women, youth)
4. Determine date of event. (Review race calendar to determine optimum date).
5. Report date of event to ISSA through www.slalomskateboarder.com and www.slalomranking.com
Note: Races must be on calendar at least a month in advance to receive a “Basic” rating. Primes, Mains, and Majors must be reported months in advance and status secured through contact with ISSA. Go to www.slalomranking.com for info on race status determination and world region status allotment.
6. Determine liability insurance requirements.
7. Develop budget:
• Entry fees
• Cost of insurance
• Prize distribution (cost of trophies, cash payouts, etc.)
• Race numbers
• Start ramp(s) material and construction
• Other swag for the racers not provided by sponsors (tee shirts, stickers, etc.)
• Race day supplies as needed (barrier tape, duct tape, cones, chalk, tent rentals, table/chair rentals, timing system, walkie talkies, extra batteries, P.A. system rental, etc.)
• Post race party costs (food, beverage, space rental, transportation, etc.)
• $20 www.ncdsa.com Contest Calendar posting fee.
8. Secure insurance.
9. Order race numbers:
www.rainbowracing.com
www.runningcount.com
10. Secure vendor and order trophies/prizes.
11. Obtain Contest Calendar Access Code from Adam (webmaster) at www.ncdsa.com ($20 cost)
12. Secure a PayPal account for entry fees. www.paypal.com
13. Secure discounted or preferred rates at hotels close to venue.
14. Determine number of entries desired or number of entries limits (dual lane brackets, venue limitations, etc).
15. Develop potential sponsor list. (Include both industry sponsors and local sponsors).
16. Send letter/email to potential sponsors requesting support to include:
• Number of expected participants.
• Race format, location, and dates
• Request general sponsorship of swag, money, or other support.
• Invitation to participate or attend as a guest.
• Mailing address to send sponsored items.
• Deadline for when it needs to arrive (Suggest at least 2 weeks prior to race date so that you have time to determine the distribution of the items/money/other.)
17. Post event on www.ncdsa.com Contest Calendar:
• Date of race(s)
• Format of race(s)
• Entry fee cost and submission information (PayPal , address, other forms of payment)
• Directions to venue(s)
• Hotel information (s)
• Prize distribution and or/payout.
• Sponsors (To be updated as you add sponsors prior to the event).
• Information about the area that would be helpful or informative (things to do while there, attractions, other events taking place at the same time, traffic issues, parking, etc.)
• Rules (Safety equipment required, parking restrictions, alcohol restrictions, etc.)
• Request Shirt size from each participant (if you are offering shirts to riders)

18. Post information on internet on the appropriate forums:
www.ncdsa.com
www.silverfishlongboarding.com
www.slalomskateboarder.com
www.downhillbillies.org

19. Secure Timing System and back up system.
20. Secure volunteer coordinator (Responsible for recruiting and managing volunteers on race day)
21. Develop volunteers needed list for the following:
• Ramp builder/supplier
• Registration
• Timing
• Course Marshal
• Cone heads (suggested 1 person per 10 cones)
• Setup team
• Teardown team
• Security
• Traffic control
• Awards Coordinator
• Post Race Party Coordinator (To be responsible for recruiting needed volunteers, catering, beverage, location, etc.)
• Master of Ceremonies/announcer
• Runners (misc. needs such as racer hospitality, leaf blowing, course sweeping, and other roles as needed)

22. Volunteer Coordinator-Recruit and confirm volunteers for the above listed roles (Note: For race day volunteers create a list of these people and contact them the week before the event to confirm their commitment to help and how much time they can devote.)
23. Create volunteer schedule and assignment cards from the information confirmed in item #20.
24. Secure and/or build start ramps.
25. Confirm sponsor lists and update media postings accordingly.
26. Secure location for post race party. (Assign to Post Race Party Coordinator).
27. Contact media for pre- and post-race coverage:
www.silverfishlongboarding.com
• Concrete Wave Magazine www.concretewavemagazine.com
• Local newspapers and T.V. outlets.
• Juice Magazine www.juicemagazine.com
• Other media as appropriate.
28. Collect sponsor items (See Item #16).
29. Pre-determine prize/swag distribution prior to event:
• A, B, C, D Class distribution (which items should go for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so forth)
• Order of distribution (Format distribution in the most equitable manner possible. Note: At the Dixie Cup we began with 1st place in each group starting with A, then B, then C. Then moved on to 2nd place, A,B,C, then 3rd place, A,B,C, and so forth. This was done primarily to insure that each group had a fair chance at the better quality swag).
30. Collect entry fees from all participants. (Set a deadline for payment or payment arrangement prior to event so that you have working capital for expenses).
31. Determine race venue layout and set-up plan:
• Location of course(s)
• Location of timing table/tent
• Location registration table/tent
• Crowd control barriers
• Racers Only Area (Family, special guests, racers equipment, hospitality tent, etc.)
• Parking
• Off limits areas (Private property restrictions, timing table area, other spaces restricted)
• Cone Marshall and Conehead locations
• Traffic control volunteers
32. Secure computer and timing spread sheet software.
33. Set up spread sheet with registration information.
34. Order tee shirts (see sizes from registration) or other items for racers to be received no later than 2 week before event.
35. Develop waiver form (Acquire from Insurance provider and customize for your event.)
36. Determine and develop race day schedule:
• Race day registration
• Racers meeting
• Course marshal, coneheads, and volunteers meeting
• Practice time
• Qualifying
• Bracket racing by class (A, B, C, D, Women’s, youth, other categories)
• Awards Presentation and/or post race party.
37. Collect all information for Racer Information Pack to include:
• Directions from hotel to race venue
• Directions from race venue and hotel to Post Race Party
• Parking information
• Racer’s number
• Race format and rules
• Racer’s swag (Stickers, sponsor items, tee shirts, etc.)
• Sponsor lists and contact information
• Information about area events/activities available.
• Map of the area
• Contact phone numbers (hotel, pizza delivery, promoter, etc.)
• Location and direction of nearest hospital
38. Put Racer Information Packet together no later than one week before even with racer’s name and number on outside for ease in registration.
39. Develop “Race Day Check Off List”:
• Pens and Paper
• Cones
• Chalk
• Timing System and back up
• Duct Tape
• Security Tape
• Walkie Talkies
• Registration list
• Timing table and chairs
• Sunscreen cover for computer
• Timing tent
• Start ramps
• Waivers (for day of race registration)
• Registration area/tent
• Registration table/chairs
• Back up batteries for all items requiring it (timing system, walkie talkies, etc.)
• P.A. System
• Other chairs/tables as needed
• Hospitality items for racers (tent, tables, chairs, food, beverages, water, snacks, etc.)
• Tool box
• Important phone numbers list (Volunteer Coordinator, hotel, city contact, park and rec. dept., local police, local media, EMS, etc.)
• Volunteer sign-up and assignment list
• Hay bales (if needed or required)
Last edited by Marion Karr on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:12 pm

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Let's make this thing CONCRETE and I'll transform it into a three-panel brochure (like my grass roots info piece) and make it available for download.

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:55 pm

Thanks Marion and Wesley! Great, great, great info!

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Don't forget the AFTER-RACE list either

Post by Pat Chewning » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:27 am

1) Distribute awards/prize money (some problems with this at past events)
2) Report results to World Ranking organization
3) Clean-up: The hill should be as clean or cleaner than when you arrived. Except for a few chalk marks that will go away in a day or two.
4) Post results to your favorite web sites.
5) Thank all of the volunteers, city officials, sponsors, etc.
6) Make a list of things to do differently next time.
7) Spend the next two weeks doing all of the home and family chores you could not get to because you were planning a race.