DC Outlaw Summer Series 2003 race #1

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:39 pm

I’m all ready to race this Saturday, but the weather might not be. I am wondering how everyone feels about the day after (Sunday) for a raincheck. Brian, how about practice starting at 1pm Sunday and the first race starting at 2, if it happens to rain on Saturday?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:57 pm

I'm all for it.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:30 am

I say make it Friday nite before the G3. $20 entry fee...pay the top 3 or 4. Park and race baby.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:49 am

Tway,

Although I have not made it back up there since July, I believe the P&R is now considered a "day only" venue.

Since Officer Do-Right ran us out at the last night race, I believe all events at the P&R have been daylight. Your idea sounds like fun, but there's no guarantee the local constabulary will cooperate. They (or at least ONE badge baron in particular) gets an attitude at night that for the most part is absent when the sun rises.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:30 am

Any day is good for me.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:54 am

Maybe start at 5pm or so and race till we are asked to leave. The P&R under lights is
da kine. It doesn't have to be a DC outlaw series race...just a good old grass roots (pre G3) race. TK say's he will set a course similar to the infamous "twin dragons" which is still the best course I have ever raced on.

Racers Ready....

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:59 am

I'll be there sat, If anyone needs any Avolons, Avilas, trucks, Stimulators, etc. Lemme know sooner then later.

I have recently gotten a sexy black cast on my left leg, so now I can focus fully on heckeling Vlad & selling stuff :wink:

I do have the new Red 75a Avolons as well & Botton head hardware in 3 lengths also added, but not on site.

See yall sat or sun, Jeff

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:19 am

If Saturday's race is a rain-out, Sunday could work for me. But the earlier, the better. How about 10:00, same start time as Saturday? Still need time to drive home so I can get to my miserable job bright and early Monday morning.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:53 am

Kevin, the earliest I can get to the P&R on Sundays is Noon. I suppose I would only need a 30 minute slot for longboard practice, so it is fine with me if that goes from 11:30am to 12:30pm. That is an hour and a half earlier than what I originally suggested.

Where’s Brian’s say on this?

I just found out that there may be another slalom race happening on Sunday at the P&R on route 123 in Woodbridge VA. It’s being organized by Zion (sp) Boardshop and could be worth attending for the prizes and support of the slalom scene in a grass-roots, get-the-kids-involved sort of way.
What’s the info on that, LBK?

Tway, out of all the times we’ve ridden the G-P&R at night, only twice have we been asked to leave, and both times it was by the same guy, Officer Troupe, at roughly the same time (10pm?). I think it would be perfectly safe to race until 8:30 or perhaps 9. Or you could have no entre fee and then race for as long as possible. The most Troupe will do is make everyone leave. I agree, a P&R race at night is always DaKine (unless officer Dough-boy shows up). You’ll need enough non-red cones though. The red ones don’t show up well enough for night races at the P&R.

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:33 pm

Wes, dont forget, youre talking a friday nite there, there will accually be cars parked there, alot of them dont clear out rite at 5 or 6.....pesky cars.
Got any info on the Surf shop doing the race?
Jeff

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:34 pm

If Sat is rained out, how about jumping in on Zion's contest Sunday at the P&R in Woodbridge. The place is huge and could handle two contests. Or instead if we are cool about it, we could set up the course right for Zion.

Jeff, bring some of the 65mm No Schools in various duros, also I could use some long hardware, not to mention some more bushings. Heck, bring a bunch of stuff to sell on Sunday because the local kids can't get any of the good longboard gear down toward Vans. Maybe Zion would be willing to pick up a few Bozi Boards to sell in their shop.

PS the Woodbridge P&R is a good cruising spot for longboards. You can go slow there or even open it up for some speed.
lbk

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:53 pm

don't forget some of us need to be at Henry J's clinic on Sunday.

I say if we have a rain out we bump it until later in the summer and make the race up then.

Sunday is a no go please!

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:57 pm

Wow, lot of activity on the DC board this morning. If it rains Saturday we will reschedule for later in summer. The Zion event is too much fun to miss. And Chris and Noah already made commitments to go to Deerfield. Tway has laid down the framework for an outlaw race Friday night the 2nd. So the best alternative is to reschedule.

If you guys want to have a race on May 10th that is cool but I cannot make it that weekend. I can get the scoreboard timer etc. to one of you and you guys can throw it down. The Deathbox pool series event is May 17nd and the next Outlaw race is scheduled for May 24th.

If the P&R is dry this Saturday at 10am the race is ON……..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Parsons on 2003-04-24 11:58 ]</font>

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:08 pm

Brian, what about May 10th? I don't know if the race would be the same without you. Besides, I have that head-to-head dual with you to avenge.

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:09 am

LBK, Im afriad the cast on my legs limited which vehicles I can drive, & how long I can stand to be in one all together rite now.
The Woodbridge thing sounds like something Id love to be at, but I may not make it. BUT, I would love to float you a Set up Bomber to take with you to the get together, Ill get it back at the Gathering, Assuming Sat. happens, Ill give it to you there.
I have 60mm No Skoolz in 98/96a's left only, on sale, Im getting out of the park decks & wheels for now, sorry, no 65's.
Speaking of which, if anyone wants a Deathbox Inouye deck, new, $40.00 to youre door, lemme know.
See yall sat, VLAD, if you still got the chair, bring it, I could use the extra seating at Gathering. If its gone, thats cool too.
seeyall, Jeff

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:45 am

Hey Guys,

My two sons and I are planning to make it to the DC Park and Ride on Saturday and we are hoping for no rain! or at least very little with it drying off before we get there driving up from Norfolk-Virginia Beach.

I guess we wil all have to wait and see what happens as many times the weather-men can never get things right. If the races don't start at 10:00 maybe it will be better to start at noon or so depending on the weather. The weather report I am getting is that there is a possibility of light showers in the AM but we are a little further south from you guys.

Anyways maybe if things don't work out maybe we could do the other race on Sunday . Does anyone have anymore information on that race??? Directions???

David "davmo" Morris

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:29 pm

The weather is still looking very bad for Saturday. Dave, call me Saturday morning before you drive up and I can give you an update. Weather.com is still saying rain all day. Cell# 703-901-5167. That goes for anyone else thinking of making the trip.

The race on Sunday is held at the Occoquan P&R. Which is at Rt 123 and I95. It is exit 160A (123 South) off of I95. Follow signs for commuter parking. LBK is saying that it will start around noon. But I am sure that is a flexible time.

Guys I really want to ride this weekend. Does anyone want to ride Vans if the weather is bad or maybe Sunday hit Landsdown, Waldorf or Stratton after the Zion event? If it is dry.

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:18 pm

for the surf shop slalom on Sunday, does anyone know the format? Is it "short" slalom only? Or are longboards invited as well?

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:02 pm

Just so I'm clear...tomorrow's P&R race is ON for now and a decision will be made in the morning?

Brian, can I call you at 6 am to see if I need to hit the rd? ;-P

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:39 pm

Yea, you can....Sorry but the weather here is so weird. I have been watching the doppler all day. There is a slight chance it could maybe miss us. So I dont want to call the race just yet and have it be dry tomorrow.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:40 pm

Rene, I am sure that the couse will be makable on longboards. I plan on bringing a few 4ft boards.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:54 pm

Well, I do not wnat to be too much of a downer for my DC friends. If what we had this morning, though, is what you'll have tomorrow, I'd be less worried about skateboard racing and more with making sure the mobile homes and small animals are tied down!

We had 1-1/4" of rain between 7 and 11 AM with gusts reaching 35 knots. As soon as we got a break in the weather around 12:30, I went outside to check my roof because I was afraid I may have lost some shingles. (Everything was A-OK.)

Not only is this lousy weather for skateboarding, it's lousy weather for even thinking about getting out on the road. Y'all be careful.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:13 am

Not looking good for Saturday as of 9pm Friday night. Sunday looks good for Zion's slalom race.
lbk

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:56 am

Brian P...I know noah and I would be stoked if you made a call on the race tonight with the goal to make up the race this summer....

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:15 am

It's the east coast, lets run a rain race. We did it in WV.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:22 am

racing in the rain is plain dumb! Unless someone made gooved rubber wheels, even then it is dumb....

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:38 am

Well Chris before West Virginia I would have concured.

It can also be a very good day of technical training if you want to look at it that way. I don't think I would purposely attend a race in the rain but if I were there I would certainly take a few runs to see if it was safe and do-able.
Many Happy Pumps!

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:46 am

Claude...I wasn't at WV and have heard it all from many parties that were there. I am not slamming an event I wasn't at. I wasn't there and YES a course can be set to run wet and YES you can run within limits in wet but NO it shouldn't become the norm.

I don't want to spend $$$ and time to show up to a race with the possibility of running in the raun. it is dumb, dangerous and bad for one's equipment (I'm not into ruining a deck, bearings, wheels...just 'cause).

Everyone is refering to WV as "well before I was there I agreed with you". From what I gather WV was a freak situation where the surface/course/wettness all were workable. That was that situation. It shouldn't be the norm.

Specifically the Park and Ride in Gaithersburg and NOT be run on wet. Hell it gets slippery when it is VERY humid out. Any dampness on the surface is bad bad bad.

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:59 am

I'm beginning to think the D.C. Outlaw series has some mojo mother nature jinx on it. I can hardly remember the last (and first) meet I went to.

Maybe you should call it the D.C. Inlaws Series, you know, the stepmom from the burbs type thing.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:00 am

Just for the record, let's go through the "West Virginia Checklist" before making the decision to race in the rain:

1. Someone be sure to bring 50 pounds of Kitty Litter to keep the street dry long enough to be able to put down the duct tape holding the timing strips.

2. Designate someone to spend the entire day maintaining an eye on the tape switches. Don't forget, someone (Chris Chaput) ALMOST had a very nasty wipeout when the tape started coming up around his wheels once water got underneath.

3. Remember to bring China Markers and not Chalk to mark the course.

4. Remember the street in West Virginia went flat at the finish line and then almost immediately up hill for a run out.

5. Also remember the hill in West Virginia was much more shallow than the Park And Ride. It was longer, but not as steep. Speeds at the Park and Ride are faster.

6. The Park and Ride has no such luxury. Remember to either make a long, concerted foot drag in the rain or be able to make that sharp, fast left hand turn at the bottom of the hill in the rain with wet wheels.

7. Practice no foot drag and no turn and just run straight into the end of the parking lot at the bottom of the hill.

8. Don't forget to set a course appropriate for longboards to ride on a short boards. Make the course with 8-foot cones (minimum,) and little or no offsets.

9. Hope that the rain in Gaithersburg maintains a steady downpour all day just like in West Virginia. Don't forget that one of the things that made West Virginia possible was there was so much water on the road that wheels "flowed" through the water as opposed to hydroplaned over top of it (instant recipe for loss of traction and disaster.) Try not to skate on a wet or damp road. Skate and race on a road with a sheet of water at least a 1/4" deep.

Remember: I was at West Virginia (as a spectator.) I know what unique and peculiar circumstances made that race happen without any major injury or catastrophe. Repeat all the necessary parameters that made that race happend and MAYBE if you're lucky lightning will strike twice and you'll have a good race.

(Yes, I know I'm posting this at 5:00 in the morning. An early morning muscle ache has drove me out of bed. Might as well do something stupid while I wait for the aspirin to kick in.)

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:43 pm

Got up this am at 6:00 here in Norfolk and it isn't raining. right now at 6:45 am still no rain.

So we are going to load teh car up and hit the road and head to gaithersburg park and ride just in case the weather permits. hopefully it won't rain and things will dry up. Maybe we will all be lucky today.

We may get there a little bit after 10:00 but should arrive before 11:00 depending on the traffic.

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:52 pm

6:50 weather update,

From my perspective from Nrofk Virginia. I am loading up the car and I see some clear sky and some sun. I think we will be lucky today.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:58 pm

Weather.com's hourly forcast shows rain every hour 'til 1:00 Sunday morning. Where are you local guys? Get your ass(es) out of bed and look outside!!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:17 pm

Just spoke to Mike Ohm. Raining in Arlington. Raining in Leesburg. Raining in Gaithersburg.

Dave, sorry you made the trip. Hopefully you got closer and decided to turn back.

I am going to the P&R if anyone shows up and wants to race in the rain I will be there.

I cant figure it out. The weather is nice and dry all week but the Saturday of an Outlaw race it rains. I feel like Charlie Brown. Ugh

If anyone wants to ride Vans today. Give me a call I am going to try to make one of the evening sessions.

WV proved that racing in the rain can be done. I have been looking at some wheels that would make a wet rain race safer. Check out xtreemwheels.com. Thay have rubber grooved wheels that could provide better traction on wet surfaces. Races that are well organized with sponsors and skaters traveling great distances to compete should be ran rain or shine. Skaters and promoters of the sport should help to develop equipment that will allow events to go off reguardless of weather.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Parsons on 2003-04-26 08:22 ]</font>

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:24 pm

Just as long as you'se guys keep your jinx off The 3rd Gathering!

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:43 am

I went , I saw , It rained.

traveled several hours from Norfolk Virginia to the park and ride In Gaithersburg only to find that the weather wasn't going to agree with our plans.

However it wasn't all a wash out. Got to talk with some of the other really cool skaters, BP, Bozi, Etc. so that was all cool. Caught up on some of the stuff happening and I got to ride one of Jeff Bozi's really cool proto type boards. (BTW , I really liked that board! Thanks for letting me check it out!) Also my sons were able to buy some of those cool tracker stimulator truck bushings from J Bozi. My sons are chomping at the bits to raide since it has been really wet and rainy this season.

It was just a day out with the guys, mostly in the car driving!. Might try to make the other race on sunday only if the weather looks perfect and if I can get my wife to drive!

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:13 am

Racing in the rain is not recommended but alternatives need to be in place...

{1)Race in the rain (with slower/non slipping rubber wheels)

(2)Race at alternative site like bus terminal or parking garage

(3)Race alternative date (like following sunday)

Mother Nature can just plain be finicky. We were supposed to have 90% weather today with showers late in afternon. Well, rain started at 7:30am and didn`t stop until 8:00pm. And I bet tomorrow will be sunny and not rainy as earlier predicted (since it all moved in a little earlier than anticipated).

But since we are at the mercy of weather, we need to have some alternatives just in case.

And racers, TRUE RACERS, should be on site no matter what the weather may bring. Waiting until the last minute to decide if you are gonna go is weak and in bad form respect-wise to the promoter trying to hold the event.

LCO `01..rain but still skated
Kona `02..rain but still skated
FB `02..rained but still skated

Can you say ramps at the bus terminal at Charleston?

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:03 pm

[quote]
On 2003-04-27 01:13, Brady Mitchell wrote:
And racers, TRUE RACERS, should be on site no matter what the weather may bring. Waiting until the last minute to decide if you are gonna go is weak and in bad form respect-wise to the promoter trying to hold the event.

Brian P - I sincerely apologize for disrespecting you by not being on site with an umbrella for you yesterday.
I am relatively new to racing and had no idea that I should have been there regardless of weather.

Scabs, thanks for pointing this out. I won’t forget it. I hope to meet you at a race someday, ANY race.

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:21 pm

Noah,
I didn`t say it clearly as I was just trying to make a point, or two points. And since there was no alternative to the weather at that particular event, you can`t be expected to comply with the other.

To state it briefly...

(point #1) there needs to be alternatives for bad weather.

(point #2) racers should then be there regardless.

What bothers me is all the pre-guessing that goes on prior to a race. I had an event planned last fall that really got rained out. Twenty or so inches I might say. And numerous folks backed out because of it. And yet, I had a dry back up site that only saw Rick Stanziale, Chuck Gil, and myself.

Just find a parking garage nearby and plan that as a back up site. Especially if it`s a 2 day event and rains on both days.

Anything like that near the Park and Ride?

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:23 pm

I posted the rain race thing just to give you guys something to do while it dried up.

Suckers!

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:48 pm

LBK,
Saw the bait; swam right on by.

Wonder what Coast Guard regulations would apply here? Life-jackets, at least.

Or maybe we should be following the lead of the fly-fisherman, wearing hip-waders.

But seriously, folks.............

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kevin M. Gamble on 2003-04-27 14:55 ]</font>

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:27 am

Right on Kevin. We missed you today at the Zion Skateshop Slalom Race. Looking forward to seeing you and your better half at the Gathering. Too bad I can't bend my left knee. Took a real bad spill today (no pads, helmet or sunblock). Never have had my knee lock up like this before (including when I blew out my ACL 5 years ago). Hope the swelling goes down for next weekend.

Laters,
DR
lbk

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:45 am

On 2003-04-27 01:13, Brady Mitchell wrote:

Brady, I don't know why you can't get it through your pea-sized head.

Let me be brutally honest...
NO ONE wants to hear what you think.
NO ONE wants to hear what you do (or more specifically what you don't skate).

It's no wonder your exterminating business isn't doing well. YOU are the biggest pest in Florida.

Do yourself a favor don't post in the DC forum again. Your invalid and pointless posts will only be ridiculed. Again, there is a reason the DC forum is the second most popular area on this site. We try to keep up the standards.

You are completely useless and big waste of our time.

Don't go away mad, just GO AWAY.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:52 am

Get that thing checked out, Dave. Your head too.

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:59 am

hey lbk--

I would get that knee checked in a couple of days--if it's locking, that's a classic sign of a torn meniscus (torn flap may be catching in the groove of the knee)--and especially if you injured it in any sort of a torquing motion.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed May 21, 2003 4:57 pm

I am sure all of you DC Outlaws have been watching the weather cannel trying to determine if there is a slight chance of a break in the weather so we can slalom race outside on Saturday. Well, it looks bad. We have over a 50% chance of rain every day for the next 10 days.

I will make the call Friday morning if this weather does not move out I will be forced to cancel another DC Outlaw race.

I know that you guys have actively been looking for indoor spots around the area that could be used for races. Please keep it up. Eventually we will find one.

I am very happy that the Gathering was not rained out. We were extremely lucky to have had a great weekend to keep the stoke alive.

Vlad, Ohm we need to find somewhere indoors fast so we can practice for Breck.