DC Winter Outlaw Series 07-08

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Brian Parsons

DC Winter Outlaw Series 07-08

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:15 am

ITS ON!!!!!!
Last edited by Brian Parsons on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Ohm

dick

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:53 pm

BP, got a soccer tournament on the 17th. What times do you think we will be getting started.

All you lurkers within driving distance, Fountainhead is NO JOKE. Killer spot. Contact one of the DC Outlaws for directions and lodging.
Damn Skippy

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:58 pm

BP, my name is Jeff not Dick, althought most people call me that.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:10 am

is that december 19th?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:18 am

Anthony Flis wrote:is that december 19th?
December 19th is a Wednesday.

The 29th is a Saturday and three days before New Years.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:40 pm

so is that the date? Im just curious cause wednesday is weird but I'll be there.

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Post by Mr Surly » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:59 pm

All Saturdays:

November 17
December 8
December 29
January 19
.:PTBDHB:.

Dan Mitchell

HOLY S@#T

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:52 am

We're racing in DC again!!

I hate driving down into VA, but what the hell...

Looks like I'll need to practice on big hills, but at least it's a reason to practice.

Thanks Brian I love you bro (in a manly sorta way!)

Can someone repost the address/directions?

PS
If you're looking to run summer races I can try to secure the hill Dillon rode in June. Lousy surface (well some thought I was overly critical), but major visibility to the public. And right next to the (hopefully finished by then) free admission, no pads required ten foot deep kidney pool concrete skatepark built by Wally Hollyday....Remember Cherry Hill?

Also, shouldn't that say "See BP fall"?
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:14 am

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trail ... nhead.html

From I-95: Occoquan Exit to Route 123. Head West (becomes Ox Road);

left at a diagonal onto Hampton Road;
left into Fountainhead Park;

The first time I went Slappimus said, "yeah, it's a couple of miles down." Best as I remember it's closer to five or six down Hampton. It's not just down on the Left. It's a bit of a drive to the park entrance.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks Wes!

Leave it to you to get the jump on the locals. I want to be there when you beat Ohm!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:21 am

Thanks Dan!

Fountianhead is a great single lane GS spot. However, we can also use several of the other hills in the park. So expect two slalom races and one beginner level downhill race.

Since this will all be single lane with no bracketing it makes the racing go a little quicker.

The downhill we be single racer timed runs. This is not serious downhill by pro downhill standards but should be something fun for the slalom guys and beginning downhillers. Leather jackets and full face helmets are a good idea.

Especially for me.

THESE ARE OUTLAW AND COME WITH ALL THE RISK OF ANY OUTLAW EVENT

And of course weather permitting. I will make the call on Friday morning depending on the forecast. Hopefully WesE will step back up as the local DC Outlaw weather man.

I know several guys have contacted me reguarding traveling to these events. The weather is always our biggest issue. The hills are in very wooded areas so the wind has seldome been an issue. But DC in December and January can be absolutely bitter COLD.

So come prepared and no bitchin like a little girl.

Mike Ohm

f

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Dan, can you bring your gas leaf blower. Also, the more brooms the better.

WesT, it's really only 2 miles up Hampton Rd. from 123.

Dan, Cocks will lose.
Damn Skippy

Dan Mitchell

Doh!!

Post by Dan Mitchell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:59 am

Can't make the 17th :(
Prior commitment...

I'll be there Dec. 8 with my blower, as long as there's not snow on the ground.

About the DH...will 30* Seismics on both ends work or do I need to get Randal DH trucks?

Mike, what the hell are you talking about? There's only one cock I care about and it always wins!!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:18 am

Dan I think the seismics will work.

The hill is fast if you bomb it straight. My randal 180s speed wobble a little bit on this hill.

It may take a little getting used to. You might have to work your way to the top.

Weather is looking OK for this weekend. I just hope it drys if rain hits it tomorrow.

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:38 am

Dan,

Used a 45/30 Seismic setup fine, so 30/30 should be more than OK - few crazy ones have taken the hill on slalom boards ;-)

What time are we setting up?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 am

I just posted this on SF...the SF audiance is a bit less refined so pardon the sarcasim. :)

Here's how it will go...

Show up at Fountianhead on Saturday at 11:30am. Park outside the gate walk into the park with your skateboard and your safety gear.

Follow the left fork in the road...this hill is the hill we will use for hybrid/tight course. We will be set up with a hybrid slalom course on this hill at 11:30am and start timing runs around 12pm...Remember that this is an outlaw race and the times are just a general guideline. If you show up late or early its no big deal. We will have several different boards for people to try out if you don't have a slalom board.

Each skater will get 3 timed runs...fasted guy wins......nothing. (outlaw thing again...)

After we finish this we will move the timer to a hill in the back of the park by the lake/river.

We will put down the timer and do the downhill race. Each skater will get 3 runs. The push into the hill will be limited. So expect a push zone then hit the tape switch, go into your tuck and bomb the hill.

Fastest guy wins....nothing...(outlaw thing.....see a pattern)

After the downhill for those of you not quivering like girly girls we will do giant slalom course on this hill. Expect this to be wide gates that bigger boards can go through. Think 32-36 inch decks with Big Zigs.

For those of you who don't do a lot of slalom we will have several GS boards for you to try out. This hill is no joke on a slalom board. If you don't ride big stuff don't feel bad about sitting out and watching the better skater really attack this hill. Better to watch than have to be airlifted out of the park.

See everyone on Saturday.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:53 pm

You guys are killin' me...that sounds so cool...but Sugarbush opens tomorrow!!! :-)

Enjoy...see y'all next summah.

-RF

"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Gary Saenz

Post by Gary Saenz » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:42 am

Anything like a mall close by for the wife and kid?

Mike Ohm

mall

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:40 am

gary, Potomac Mills is fairly close.
Damn Skippy

Anthony Smallwood

head

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:26 am

Wow! just found out about this tonite. All my gear is packed away but I'm gonna try and come shoot photos and video.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:04 am

Very Cool, come on out we are going to try to do some very amature downhill.

Anthony Smallwood

Parsons

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:05 am

yeah, I know....it's a lame hill and you guys are just "amateur" downhillers....hahahaha

That hill is nuts, you charging Beacon Hill on a loose slalom board is one of the craziest things I've ever seen, and my run with Ohm thru Baltimore traffic is one of the heaviest runs I've ever taken....yeah, I expect that Downhill event will be booorrrrrrinnngg!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:09 pm

Just got a call from Brian Parsons who is at the Park. It is now 10:19 AM

It Is A Bust!

It Is A Bust!

It Is A Bust!

The gate is still open and traffic is flowing freely through the park.

Try and meet at the Occoquan Park And Ride at 1:00 and try and put together a slalom session at that time.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 pm

Parson's Cel is:

703-901-5167

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:46 pm

OK. Here's the latest.

timmysweatpants and his crew from PA did make the trip. BP found them so there will DEFINETELY BE A SESSION TODAY.

They are going to run cones at Walker Road. Mapquest Walker Road at the Franconia/Springfield interchange. As best I recall it's in a business park right off the interstate.

1:00 TODAY.

Be there or be elsewhere.

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:18 am

Wes,

Thanks for the top cover - there were people, there were cones, fun was had. Little lunch, got to roll the big boards around a few times - good day.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:36 pm

The park service misled us to believe that Fountainhead Park was closing on the 13th. For some reason they decided to extend their season by one week which eliminated Fountainhead as an outlaw spot on Saturday.

However, hopefully we got the word out early enough and we did managed to gather up a few skaters and threw down a slalom session at Walker road then did some downhill runs at Oakwood. So in the end we were able to salvage what was looking like to be a totally busted day.

The PA guys were ripping the slalom course but DR No and Earl were the guys laying down some super fast clean runs. The downhill hill session was all about the PA crew and Earl.

We are going to do a dry run at Fountainhead on December 1st or 2nd to make sure we are all clear for our scheduled outlaw race on December 8th.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:49 am

Guys,

Tomorrow is a wash out. Make up date is next Saturday.

Ohm and Earl rode this hill last weekend and reported that it was killer and in good shape. The gates are now closed for the season so we should be good until spring.

Weather is our only issue now....Well we all have issues.....but as far as outlaw racing is concerned...we are good.

Brendan Redler

Post by Brendan Redler » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:56 pm

Well, I broke my toe and my mom's birthday party is now on Saturday, so I can't make it. But I'll be in town for the other two races.

Ohm, we gotta get some sessions in. I'll be hom from Dec 14th until sometime in Mid to late January.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:48 pm

wait this saturday? I might show....I was planning on getting as much done before my girlfriend gets back on sunday but I haven't had a good skate in so long I'll probably be there. Normal times? 10am or so?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:54 am

OK,

Tomorrow is hit or miss. According to weather.com the snow is not going to hit until after dark tomorrow.

I am planning on being at the hill around 11am tomorrow. Hopefully we can get in some runs before the snow/ice starts bearing down on us.

Please give me a call if you need directions or need a hill report before you get out of bed.

you can reach me at 703-901-5167

Brian Parsons

Outlaw Results

Post by Brian Parsons » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:33 pm

We did finally get an opportunity for an Outlaw race yesterday. The snow threatened all day in 30 degree weather but with some skater creativity and a lot of sweeping we set a great challenging course around wet pavement.

This hill is so good for GS. Very fast with a great right hand sweeper.

Ohm and I battled for the top spot. We progressively got faster every run. Anthony and Earl also battled for the third spot switching positions almost every run.

Justin and Anthony rode their downhill/sliding rigs through the GS. Very impressive seeing these guys drifting and sliding at super fast speeds. These guys are very talented skaters in downhill and slalom. They schooled us slalom guys in the downhill runs.

Results:

GS
BP - 19.39
Ohm - 19.58
Anthony - 21.54
Earl - 21.58
Justin - 22.26

Downhill
Anthony - 15.38
Justin - 15.92
BP - 16.03
Ohm - 16.05
Earl - 17.73

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:07 am

Brian,

Serious question for you, Ohm and Earl.

In the past three months y'all have all raced Giant Slalom at Bluegill then Hobby Park and finally Fountainhead yesterday.

The difference being the first two it was in the 80s and 90s and then yesterday in the 30s.

Could anyone feel a real noticeable difference in their wheels when it was 50 degrees colder?

I'm just guessing everyone started on the same wheels yesterday they rode on the big hills in North Carolina and then on a big hill at Fountainhead. Just wondering if there's a real tangible effect with ice cold urethane.

Mike Ohm

Fountainhead

Post by Mike Ohm » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:59 am

Yep, another great day at Fountainhead, can't wait to have a few guests show up to see just how fun the back hill is. Part of the hill was still wet so we set some boardercross type chicanes to avoid the wet pavement. The last chicane was a little sketchy cause it left about 3 feet of asphalt to run through at speed on a right hand turn. If you were to fall off the road you would meet a ravine with small boulders jutting out from the ground. Then the course opened up to several long GS sweepers with the final cone taking you off line so you had to fight the G forces just to hit the tape strip. Way cool.

WT, temps were about 34 degrees with a tailwind. Normal duros were used without issue.
Damn Skippy

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 am

The wheels I had on yesterday were 82A 70mm Zigs. I think Ohm was on Avalons. And Earl I think was on 70mm Zigs.

The course we set yesterday was not really a grinder so traction was not a problem. But I can't really tell much difference. The only time wheel hardness seems to have a major effect on me is in severe hot temps rather than severe cold.

Like the Ohio race this year I think Keith was measuring the pavement temp at over 100 degrees. I was having serious wheel issues that day. I think Ohm had it right with the Avalons in Ohio and I think I had it right yesterday with the Zigs.

In normal conditions on flowing courses without crazy grinding gates I usually ride 82A wheels front and back. Usually Zigs, unless there are breaking sections then I will ride a Avalon in back. An example of this would be the TS course at the worlds. I needed to check up about mid course. The Zigs did not want to skid consistently like the Avalons. I should have used Avalons front and back in Ohio. Ohm did this and it was the right choice.

I will never leave the Avalons at home on race day. Nor will I leave the Zigs.

So in summary I think sever hot temps have much more of an impact than sever cold.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 am

I just noticed, Check the pic several post up on this thred. Avalons in back. Zigs in front. TS worlds 2007.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:14 am

See, this makes sense. I've been looking online and doing some amateur research into the physical properties of urethane. I just can't find any reference as to urethane becoming harder or more brittle with decreasing temperature. Yes, I'm sure if you dunked it in liquid nitrogen it might shatter but that's a long ways from the 80-degree variance between 100F and 20F.

Also, Brian, addressing your issue with heat. What I've learned living in a place where roads get REALLY HOT is to consider whether it's your wheels or the asphalt that causes a difference in riding. A day in the sun and asphalt gets gooey enough to shape with fingers. That's got to affect traction.

I wonder if the need to alter wheels with heat is the same on concrete which doesn't change with heat as it is on hot malleable asphalt?

Why worry about this? I've read several different threads here and on Silverfish along the lines of, "it's winter. What wheels should I ride?" Sounds like it should be what wheels you'd ride any other time.

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:52 am

Did go softer than normal thinking it would matter - 80a all round - but the surface on that hill is nice (the dry parts were anyway). Probably could have run harder; or at least, harder up front.

Being more "gravitationally enhanced" than most, I've been running harder; going as hard as 89a when the temps go up. Normally I run 86/80 on that hill - if we get out next weekend, I'll try them in the cold.

Dan Mitchell

Hot asphalt

Post by Dan Mitchell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:18 am

Wes, you reminded me of something....

At the asphalt skatepark we had here when I was a kid (Thunderdohm), when we blew a move and our board shot into the air, if it landed nose or tail down, it left quite a dent!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan