Gaithersburg P-n-R August 5th anyone interested?

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Dan Mitchell

Gaithersburg P-n-R August 5th anyone interested?

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:32 am

Let's race!

I'd like to do a G-burg race on the 5th. I don't have a timer and I'm not the best course setter. Plus I only have 50 cones. But I wanna race!

Have blower and can be there early!

Help me out bros.
Last edited by Dan Mitchell on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:50 am

Dan,

Don't get discouraged. Parsons told me earlier he, Ohm and Earl would be on the road tonight on their way to Ohio. So you might not get a response from them til after the weekend.

Just so you'll know I can't make it. My traveling it severely curtailed compared to last year.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:24 pm

I'll be racing at Munnsville in the Madison County Gravity Fest. If it was any other weekend I'd be there.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 pm

OK, edited my OP to August 5th.

WT haven't seen you in a while, how ya been?.
...any other weekend I'd be there.
Hope you can make it!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Brendan Redler

Post by Brendan Redler » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:58 am

I'm in. I have 50 cones too, well 49 (one got lost). I'll try to make it.

Mike Ohm

pnr

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:46 pm

Yep, i'll be there.
Damn Skippy

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Its on...5th

I will be there.

If John Dillion is lurking. I will need the timer.

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:01 am

Should be up and rolling by then... I'll bring my timer too.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:33 am

Next Sunday looks to be a hot day, should we start early?

Brendan Redler

Dagger

Post by Brendan Redler » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:21 am

Can't make it after all, family reunion that day.

daggerfest '07 my friends, I'm getting screwed out of slalom skating by the gods.

John Dillon

Can't skate on the 5th....can do on the 4th

Post by John Dillon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:32 am

I work on Sundays so I cannot race.....I can skate on Saturday....how can I get your timer back to you, BP? I'll be catching waves on Friday.....skating parks on Saturday....Arlington or Greenbelt on Saturday??

Dan Mitchell

It's dead!

Post by Dan Mitchell » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:01 pm

I can be there with the blower as early as needed. BP, would you set the courses? Whatever time is best for you guys is fine.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 pm

(a voice from afar!)

Dan, from the looks of things you might want to leave early enough to go by where JD works and pick up the timer?

It looks as though the timer is in Baltimore and the race is in Gaithersburg.

Unless something changed in the past 24 hours?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:40 am

I'm there.

David Morris

AUGUST 5TH

Post by David Morris » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:45 am

Hi guys,

Heck, its been so long.

I might have to make the trip and be there too.

August 5th you say????? Is this definite???? If this is true count me in.

I might even try to round up Aaron and see if he wants to race too.

dave

Mike Ohm

PNR

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Davmo, yeah, the 5th. Hope to see BOTH of you!!! Someone call KMG.
Damn Skippy

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:36 pm

OK, what time are we looking at? Once we decide that, I'll post on NCDSA.

Anthony, are in?

Dave and Aaron, awesome bros!

GBJ, way cool! I'll have smokes.

Boswell, what are you, some kind of wuss? Be there, bitch! I'll have smokes and cheap American beer.

KMG, are you alive? In a wheelchair yet? Y'are gettin' up there....Hi Yvonne!

Dillon, you don't look so good. Maybe you should call in sick.

boBo, where are you??

If I need to stop for the timer, let me know. I hate going that way, but will if I have to.

I'll bring extra setups for newbies to try (sans Seismics), so if you know anyone that would like to check it out, bring 'em.

I've got chalk. Anyone got duct tape, or do I need to get some?

That's all for now...
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Mike Ohm

pnr

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:40 am

Danny Boy, I'll get there early around 9:30 or so.
Damn Skippy

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:07 pm

I have duct tape.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:26 pm

I will pick up the timer at JD's and try to be at the P-n-R by 9:30.

I plan on sucking since I've hardly skated at all this summer, but wtf, it'll be good just to see you guys!

Bring your tape Andy, if nothing else we can tape Ohm's mouth shut ;)
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:21 am

Dan... check your e-mail before you head this way.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:55 am

I'll be there ready to rip sometime around 10 to 11. Can't wait to ride with you all again and tell you the tales of my downhill adventures.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:32 pm

Sorry Dan but working the last six days in this weeks heat wave has taken it’s toll on me. I need AC time.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Like The Good Ol' Days!

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:47 pm

For being "outlaw" and planned on fairly short notice, this was a cool little race. By race time, there was a field of eight, competing on a fairly broad range of skill levels. Nonetheless, as we neared completion of the bracketed, dual course event, each race mattered at it's own level. Unfortunately, Earl Cephas, already carrying an injury from The Buckeye event, managed to slam pretty hard in qualifying and sat out the brackets. So, the B bracket (2nd 4 qualifiers) was reduced to 3 and came down to a final between young and old, pitting young Anthony Flis against not-so-young Dave Morris. If I recall correctly Anthony DQd his first run, leaving him a 1.5 sec. deficit to make up. (It was OUTLAW! The scores are in chalk on the pavement, there were no official records kept and many of us never gave our full names!) The second run was hot, with the raw finishing times less than 8/100ths of a second apart, but close racing wasn't going to be enough to turn the tables in Anthony's favor. Unbelievably, out of the blue, Kevin "KMG" Gamble decided to put in a showing, which made the "consolation" match (for 3rd place in the A bracket) an all-Pennsylvanian affair between KMG and "PA Dan" Mitchell. After two solid runs, the second of which saw both riders crossing the finish line within 5/100ths of a second of each other, KMG won "The Battle of the Less Rusty" (a personal victory, to be sure). Finally, duelling for top honors were Brian Parsons and Mike Ohm, with all the competitive energy might expect from two well-seasoned, well practiced racers. What a treat to know that 6 years ago both of these guys were relatively new to racing, and to see that today they are both top caliber competitors. The competitive chatter was full-on, but friendly, but both of these guys left friendly at the starting line. Their starts were always crisp, with no time wasted between the command "Go!" and wheels crossing the line. Unfortunately for BP, his first run left him in a .61 sec. time deficit which he was unable to make up. So, top honors for the day went to Mike Ohm. Mike just killed it all day, and made it clear that, while so many of us have been unable, for a variety of reasons, to keep ourselves competitive, his skill set is up-to-date and technically excellent. Great race, Mike. For the record, I hadn't set foot a skateboard since last year, and am still nursing a nagging shoulder injury from last fall. I didn't race, opting instead to set the course and run the timer. It should be noted, therefore, that there were NO (I think...) competitors from the State of Maryland at this race held in Maryland. Big thanks to KMG and PA Dan for making the trip from Pennsylvania and particularly to Dan for zig-zagging his way down to pick up and provide a ride to the event for the timer and for me. Of course, Dave Morris and Mike Burns spent several hours in the car as well, making the trip from the Virginia Beach area. So, all in all, it was a good time and, for some of us who've been scarce lately, had all the feel of a reunion. If any of the information in this post is incorrect, I apologize to anyone offended. Like I said... it was outlaw!

(A bracket)

1st - Mike Ohm
2nd - Brian Parsons
3rd - Kevin Gamble
4th - Dan Mitchell

(B bracket)

5th - Dave Morris
6th - Anthony Flis
7th - Mike Burns
8th - Earl Cephas

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:39 am

Dan Mitchell is not my full name!

GBJ set a very nice course, although it's his fault I DQ'd against KMG. BTW, what the hell does GBJ have to do with the guys real name??

Congrats KMG (who shall remain nameless) for your "podium". Are you sure you didn't jump the start?... Hmmmm.... Much as I hate to lose, it couldn't have been to a better guy.

DaveMo, or whatever your name is, I swear you sandbagged in practice and quals!

BP and Ohm, or whatever your full names are, you guys suck...er, I mean rip. Keep it up!

Earl, heal up quickly, bro. I'm drinking a beer for you....OK I'd be drinking one anyway, but I thought it sounded good.

Mark Anthony (wait...aren't you two different guys? Anyway, you'll remain nameless...you're too f*%&ng young and I've had too many beers to even remember you!

Seriously, thanks everyone for showing. Grassroots racing at the P-n-R is not dead. Maybe it just took a vacation.

How about August 18th for another DC Outlaw race? It's a Saturday so hopefully Dillon can make it. (Not sure that's his full name though). Dave, maybe talk to your fellow VA skaters? That's Virginia, not Veteran's Affairs.

That is a tentative date, but I'd rather do it sooner than later. Shit, I might even practice in the meantime. That's it for now, don't want to be accused of boBo'ing!

Thanks again guys.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

John Dillon

We're on totally different schedules.......

Post by John Dillon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:48 am

No, I cannot make it on Aug 18th as I will be emcee for the MASS Contest at Charles County Skate Park. I can race on the 17th anytime and the 19th in the eve AFTER work....what about next Saturday?

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:36 am

Kevin "KMG" Gamble showed? Damn that is cool. DaveMo too & GBJ & PA Dan. Crap, I missed it. Just hanging out would have been fun as s#$%.

Sucks, I'm out of town on the 18th and still dealing with the broken shoulder.
lbk

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:34 pm

Had a great time racing on Sunday. It had been a long time for me since I was on a skateboard. I want to thank all the guys for coming out there, setting up the course and everything thats involved in putting together a race. I think everyone had a great time and I think that the race we had on Sunday shows that there is still interest in Outlaw racing and that perhaps the next race we can get even more people out there to join in on the fun.

Like always its a long way for me to travel and with my work schedule in the FD its hard to make races unless its something thats planned 6 months to a year in advance. I will throw out there to you guys that actually decide when the races are going to be some dates that I know that I can make and if you can perhaps have some races on the dates that I throw out there I will definitely make the race and I will bring some other slalom types with me.

Here are some dates that I know I can make:

August 25th, 26th
September 15th, 16th
October 6th, 7th, 27th,28th

I don't know if any of those dates conflict with any organized races or not, but I looked at those dates on the calendar and I know that if you guys throw a race on those dates I will definitely be there. I spoke with Aaron and he said he would make the next one too and he said he would take all of you!

It was nice to meet Anthony Flis and Earl Cephas at Sundays race. Both guys added so much stoke to the day. Its good to see a young gun going out their against us older guys. And Earl, I really felt for him having taking a nasty hipper on an already injured hip. I know I would have cried like a girl falling like that. Earl's a super nice guy with a really killer slalom quiver. I hope to see both racers again in the future.

It was great to ride and hang out with Kevin, PADan, Ohm, BP, GBJ, and Burns.

I just missed the rest of the DC Outlaw crew. WesE, Jeff B, Slappy, Riordan, Dillon, and others, all you guys missed it.

Something else a little off topic, have any of you guys every thought about having a DC Outlaw MySpace page???? If you look on MySpace you will see a lot of Slalom Skaters that have their own page where they show their slalom interest and to network with other slalomers in the world. If anything a DC Outlaw page could be something really cool that could show the history of the DC Outlaws and could be complete with photos, text, etc. You could also advertise races etc on their too. What do you think guys??? If you think its a good idea I could volunteer my time to put together a pretty decent page. I think it could be one more thing to get the slalom stoke out there.

<B>So if you think a DC Outlaw MySpace page would be a good idea and you want one respond on............</B>

Dan Mitchell

Let's race!

Post by Dan Mitchell » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:39 am

Can we get a consensus(sp?) on any of the dates Dave proposed?

AFA the Myspace thing goes, I say do it bro! I can dig up some old pics...maybe vids, and I'm sure some of the other guys can too.

Thanks Dave for stepping up! The P-n-R is still a good place to race. If there's enough advance notice, I can probably bring some of the young longboarders from York along.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:34 am

Dates for possible DC Outlaw races:

Might need to reconsider one date that I posted that I could make an Outlaw Race. I think I will not be able to make a DC outlaw race on Sept 15th. That is the weekend that Lenny Poage is having the Kentucky Fried Cone Fest in Ashland Kentucky.

I think I am going to go to the Kentucky Fried Cone Fest.

Perhaps all of us who would like to race should all go to the Kentucky Fried Cone Fest to show Lenny some support??????

How about it guys???? Lets all go to Kentucky in September!

I am going over to the other site and sign up for Lenny's race. I have never been to Kentucky before so why not? I will also let Aaron know about the race and I will try to get him to come too. He said he wanted to go to the next race I attend.

Lets all sign up for Lenny's race:

http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... testID=298

I see that Dillon's Team Fun is going to be there.......

Eric Wallgren
Geezer-X
Geezer-X

Post by Eric Wallgren » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:23 pm

D'oh!

I found out about it Saturday afternoon, late-ish. I totally would have been there.

I'll keep checking in for dates for another one. I dodge cones w/ my car every few weeks, generally on Saturdays early, but if I don't have an auto-cross I'll do the outlaw race.

David Morris

Eric

Post by David Morris » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:51 pm

Hey Eric.

Long time since I last heard from you. Where are you these days?

Neil Orta

P-n-R

Post by Neil Orta » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 am

Just read about it, probably good cause I was still chillin from MCGF the week before.

Any DC Locals headed to the Farm that can pass something lost at MCGF to another rider for me? Let me know.

David Morris

READ - Slalom Jam

Post by David Morris » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:59 am

Hi Guys,

read the other posts that I posted about the Slalom Jam on Sunday the 12th.

Come on down!!!

If you want to know more contact me and I will fill you in.