Skateboarding & Snowboarding Don't Mix- It hurts to fall

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

David Riordon

Skateboarding & Snowboarding Don't Mix- It hurts to fall

Post by David Riordon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:36 am

Last Sunday I shattered my collar bone & severed one of my AC (shoulder) ligaments. Me any my punk a@# brother Steeb and I were freebording at the time.

Steeb passed me up on one ride while pumping his freebord like a slalom skateboard. I was doing wide pump carves at the time so I thought that I would just kick it in with some tight slalom pumps to catch him. Thing is that a freebord is just as subject to catching an edge as a snowboard. I ended up going toe side too quickly and got bucked off the freebord right on to my shoulder.

I rolled out the fall text book style but I could hear the bone break as I hit. Thank goodness I had a quality helmet on because I hit my head as well.

The doc said on Wednesday that the bone should heal fine and rehab will let me skip surgery. Doc also says I'll be back on skateboard, surfboard, freebord, etc. in a couple of months.
lbk

Mike Ohm

ouch

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:18 pm

LBK, that sucks! Heal quick, surf's up.
Damn Skippy

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:21 am

David,

Welcome to the "Walking Wounded" club (although I'm limping).... :-?

Good luck with rehab!!

Tod
Last edited by Tod Oles on Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:50 am

Oh no!

Did you ever qualify to shoot left handed?

Get well soon.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:57 pm

Got another visit set up with the doctor this week. Anyway, I was considering the East Coast Freebord Ride in Southern Virginia but the busted shoulder kept me out of it.

Here is the video of the East Coast Freebord Ride that went down last week.

The Freebord Forum thread:
http://www.freebord.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11871

or the Google version of the East Coast Freebord Ride:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5141037909
lbk

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Snowboarding?

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:08 pm

Hmmmm....That looks like snowboarding alright......with no edges on ice! What were you thinking LBK!
Get well soon....
Martin.
ps.Longtime no see, give the missus a hug for me!

David Riordon

Re: Snowboarding?

Post by David Riordon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:06 am

Martin Drayton wrote:Hmmmm....That looks like snowboarding alright......with no edges on ice! What were you thinking LBK!
Get well soon....
Martin.
ps.Longtime no see, give the missus a hug for me!
Martin,

Longtime no see. Good to hear from you. Yep, freebording is trouble but you know how it is, I was just trying to chase that snowboard feeling all year long.

I plan to get myself back to 100% by winter. Our snowboard season is too short to miss even one weekend.

My wife says hello. Hope to bump into you one of these days either on the slopes or on the hill skateboarding.

LBK
lbk

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:21 am

A bit of an update on my shoulder: Doc says it has healed up just fine, the shattered bones have fused back together, but I got another month of therapy to go.

Asked the Doc if I could go surfing he said no problem just don't take a header on the shoulder. Got out and surfed last Sunday at Indian River Inlet in chest high to bigger waves. Some clicking and pain when I paddle but all worth catching the sets and surfing down the line.

Going to take it easy (no skateboarding) for another month; though, the therapists worked me hard today with a bunch of crazy exercises. I'll be 110% by snowboard season. In the meantime, when's the next DC outlaw session? I can at least pick up cones and help run the timer.
lbk