Important info please read 6-7-07

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Cabbage

Important info please read 6-7-07

Post by Cabbage » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:48 pm

ok heres the deal, I live in a neighborhood on a ridge, with a road that runs down into the park from my hood. Well the hill is as smooth as it gets, perfect grade, perfect shade, perfect surface. My dream is to have the road closed oneday for a session/race. Well mason and I went down there today, and guess what boys and girls. THE ROAD IS CLOSED, and detour signs are in place everywhere. If you really want to do some of the premier hill riding in baltimore, then get off your ass and hit me up. John Dillon and I are setting up a course this weekend, maybe even try'n to have a race with cones and a timmer on sunday....anyone interested let me know. All boards work great on this hill, and you slide and downhill freaks are gonna trip, pleanty of run out, and no cars....I am freaking out, gonna ride it later.. let me know you NOVA boys, way worth the trip, and I'm 10 minutes from lansdowne..

also at the bottom section, no cars, no nothing, no bust, and perfect park and ride grade, for a slalom race....come on DC outlawer's...lets take advantage of such a great venue.. lots of shade...sat or sunday morning race.....might be lights, will check later, possible friday night....
don't know how long this will last, but come on guys lets do it..

Mike Ohm

VA Boyz

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Cabbage, we were talking about skating this weekend somewhere, looks like it will be in Baltymore hon. Post some directions, Parsons will bring his timer...it's on.
Damn Skippy

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39 pm

Its on. I will bring timer.

Post directions

Party On!

Cabbage

Directions to hill

Post by Cabbage » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:23 am

Ok sweet, so from points south, either 95 or 295 to baltimore to 695 towards towson... to 70 exit 16/Park and Ride, and take it towards the park and ride. For you guys that live near gaithersburg or onley, I would think about going either 270 or if you know 97 over to 70, then just cruise 70 east straight shot to the park and ride. Ok so now we are all on 70 east inside the beltway (695) headed to the park and ride. (When you get to the park and ride, you are about 1 mile from the spot.) When 70 ends at the park and ride follow the road around like you are turning around to get back on 70 west, then there will be 2 exits, take the 2nd exit Cooks Lane merge on cooks lane, go through one light at a shell station, then up and down a little hill on cooks lane. At 2nd light make left on Briarcliff Rd. Go over 2 speed humps come to a stop sign. go straight and you'll see the road closed sign. just park anywhere around there, and be low key and start walk'n down the hill, you'll see us. thats the hill. Not gonna let any of you down 4 sure.. sunday at noon lets do this...some come a little earlier and we can start a couple different courses..

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 am

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... &geodiff=1

right where briarcliff and wians meet is where the road is closed, the course is there, all the way down wianans way, and n. franklintown rd is closed too, so that long road we have, we can easily make a 3/4 mile long course, with a regular park and ride course near the bottom as well. The finish will be where wians and franklintown meet...

Cabbage

nice

Post by Cabbage » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:27 am

good work boys... I'm proud of your response time...

Cabbage
OHM
Parson
Smallwood

ok we got a race...come on DC Outlaws...the callout has begun

who in for cabbaGe's B-mOre backwOOds blOwOut? I might start make'n trophys for this one...gonna be a classic..

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:04 am

I'm in!

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:01 pm

I'm reading this on 6/8/07, is this this weekend?

Help me out here!

It's sooooo close to me.

BoBo
My amp is warmed up and I'm ready to shred!!!

Mike Ohm

bobo

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Bobo, this weekend dude.
Damn Skippy

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:59 pm

Roger, Wilko, Over and out.

C-yall there.

B

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:06 am

Oh, time and such. I'll be there Sat say about noon.

Ta'bien?

B

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:53 am

just rode the hill with dillon and his friend ken, so damn fun, the street is still closed to traffic (stoked)..I think they are still riding...man the walk back up, you can't believe your in a city...all you hear is woodpeckers and birds...and shadey too...BoBo sun dude at noon. I might be able to take some runs sat at noon, but have a wedding at 3 in dundalk, so have to bail by 2 ish...let me know if your come'n by..

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:11 am

Pretty sure I'll be there.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:07 am

OK, I'm in for the Sun thing I guess. Have fun brah at the wedding gig.

See all there on Sun. Be there Cab or I'll have to start hunting you down bro.

Looking forward to actually skating and not thinking about skating. No rust issues.

B

John Dillon

Closed road in W.Balto....way fun hill!

Post by John Dillon » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:09 am

Cabbage called me Thurs and told me that the hill nr his house was closed and that we should skate it. He had always wanted to close the road himself for a race and his dream has come true...but, perhaps, only temporarily....so do come out to skate this hill as you will not be disappointed. Ken Delaney(Duane's bro) and I swung by Cabbage's house this eve about 6pm and we checked out the hill. Cabbage had to lv after carving it up all the way down to near his 'other' hill w/the switchbacks. Anyways, Ken & I skated there until 8pm and we had a blast. We experienced about a half dozen cars who had driven around the barricades...fortunately, it was when we were walking or skating back up the hill or whilst taking a water break at the top of the hill. Once, I waved back a black SUV as it sped down the hill as we walked up, then it turned on its police lights in the front grill, I then gave it the thumbs up and it proceeded past us.

You folks will love this hill with its new asphalt. Though it was maybe 100 degrees in the sun....it was 88 in the shade...and refreshing! We still sweated buckets it was so humid....but that's Baltimore, Hon! For all you sliders and stand-up downhillers....this one is smoother and longer than the road nr the embassies in DC(Anthony). Perhaps a few extra cones beside the road barriers will prevent vehicles from poaching through. Also, the HonFest is going on in the Hampden neighborhood of Baltimore so bring your women too and tell them to turn up the beehive-do...it'll be good to check out that festival after skating the hill. A thunderstorm was brewing as we left.... so there may be some debris in the morn...so bring your blower, Dan! I will probably skate here again on Saturday but I have to work on Sunday so I will miss you all.....you have to skate on Saturday sometimes! Hey Parsons....can u leave your timer w/Cabbage if it will not be used before 6/21......I'd like to use it for a banked slalom race at Lansdowne for Let's Go Skateboarding Day(6/21/07). Have fun on the hill on Sunday everyone!

KEN DELANEY

. . . what he said . . .

Post by KEN DELANEY » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 pm

What a spot! The surface couldn't be better, the hill has nice sweeping turns in deep shade complete with a babbling brook next to the runout at the bottom. One time when John kept going down to the switchback trail I walked up alone and startled a good-sized deer grazing just on the edge of the road. Well worth the trip and who knows how long before they open it again? I can't make it at noon but should be there by 2 PM.

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:19 pm

Throphys are ready....race is on...at high noon...

Eric Wallgren
Geezer-X
Geezer-X

Post by Eric Wallgren » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm in.

I'll try to make it up by noon...

KEN DELANEY

NIMBY Neighbor?

Post by KEN DELANEY » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Got to the top of the hill at 2 PM just as the barricades were being removed under the direction of a concerned citizen who just happened to live right across the street. No sign of boards or cones, so maybe you relocated, or went to Lansdowne? It was too good to last . . .

Mike Ohm

baltymore

Post by Mike Ohm » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:49 am

cabbage, thanks for a killer day of skateboarding. the switch back hill was so fun but I think the neighborhood bomb session ruled the day. thanks!!!!
Damn Skippy

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:57 am

Thanks Cabbage! Great day - still had a little grass and hay to clean out of the pads - brought a little B'more home with me. Ohm, you need a downhill rig - you were hauling - still hearing "stay inside, stay inside!". Classic.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:39 am

What a killer day!

I agree with Ohm the slalom was fun but the bomb session on the big hills were awesome. Cant wait to ride there again. Everybody ripped hard. I also need a downhill setup.

Thanks Cabbage for pulling this together. The switchbacks were a first for me on a slalom board. Super fun!

Cabbage

recap

Post by Cabbage » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:30 am

Thanks everybody for coming out and supporting my scene. Well my 1st race went off, kinda different, but it ended up to be a great day.. Great to meet you Earl, you definately charge full steam ahead, and I want your car BAD...OHM and Parson, you 2 are incredible racers, and I do not know how I have been luckey enough to beat'n you as many times as I have. I guess, I'm gonna have to bring it to your court (Walker) and go to slalom school before sept. hahah you guys rock. The switchback course saved the day as the road opened to traffic shortly after everyone arrived, and the hill was moist so very scarey, thats when the alternate spot went down... Fun Fun Fun course, with lots of excitment. A 33.7 was the winning time, by me, then Parsons with a 34.something, I guess, I should have written down the times, to post..hahahaa, I'll go down tomarrow and get em, or maybe earl can post some shots. After the race we went back to the top and did the over 2 mile downhill run from the top of the street. After a couple of rides, we had a chinese downhill, and Anthony Smallwood won, with a very bring'n it run, right in his draft OHM....then Earl i believe...sick sick sick riding guys. After a 1/2 dozen rides to the top, thanks to Ben Ashworth and myself, the boys packed it in...We had a sick barbeque at the crib, follow by horseshoes, and good food, and sk8ed my bowl, and mini street course...I would also like to thank Mr Natty Boh...for being a great friend, and sponser of the 1st annual b-mOre backwoods blowout...wheels already turning for the next event. and I'm gonna need peoples help in getting that road closed for a national event in 2009...Its on...

results:

1. cabbage
2. brian parsons
3. mike ohm
4.tommy "Bama"
5.ben ashworth

Tim Keasbey

Post by Tim Keasbey » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:33 pm

C- Sorry I missed that session. It sounded amazing. Thanx for posting

KEN DELANEY

Post by KEN DELANEY » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Sorry I missed you guys, but glad to have squeezed in a bunch of runs on Friday - thanks Cabbage! Stay tuned for the JFX race on Sunday September 16th, Dillon and I finally got the definitive word from the Jones Falls Festival folks that it's on. We're trying to pull off banked slalom at Lansdowne on Saturday and a hybrid slalom right on the Jones Falls Expressway on Sunday. Look for it on the contest calendar in the next week or so.

Anthony Smallwood

b-more

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Great day of riding in Baltimore sunday with the DC Outlaws, DCDC, FCDC, Scott&Chel-C, Earl C-phas and Cabbage CRew. The artpark switchback was a blast. It was interesting and entertaining watching the different styles and approaches to the course. Ashworth's board slides, OHM's flatland exceleration and Kai's slithery style come to mind.

Of course I came for the downhill, and afterwords we had an impromptu race thru the neighborhood. When we were done, cabbage started handing out prizes for the days earlier event. Turns out, there wasn't a downhill portion even planned for the day, for had I known, I probably wouldn't have showed. And after the incredible run I had with Mike Ohm dodging trucks backing out of driveways, slipping between two cars at a speedbump that we FLEW over, and then getting aggressively passed by the car we passed at the speedbump, well, I WANTED SOMETHING! I said "where's my trophy?" hoping to shake cabbage down for a gravity dvd or something. Instead, he gave me a really cool trophy he made, then won on the switchback course, then decided he shouldn't keep. It's actually cooler than any dvd, and the fact that it's made of sharp, bent glass with super pointed corners made carrying it home 20 blocks on a skateboard one of my scariest rides ever. whatever, cabbage you rock! thx

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:48 pm

where did BoBo place?

why isn't has name on the list?

did he not show?

can't we just put his name on the list so it looks like he shows up?

Bobo?

Are you coming to the Farm? Break the cycle! Defy the curse! Bring Smallwood!
I have absinthe, Zubrovka, and Casacha.

Mike Ohm

baltimore

Post by Mike Ohm » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:15 pm

no bobo, just natty boh
Damn Skippy

Cabbage

some shots

Post by Cabbage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:03 am

photos from kai

Mike Ohm

pics

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:03 pm

Cabbage, anymore pics. i know your neighbor was snapping alot.
Damn Skippy

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 pm

O yeah, she has the super good ones, I'll get em from her and get up some of the best ones. whats your email ohm? hey anthony send me a couple from the cookout, cabbage@gravityboard.com

thanks..