ABQ NM banked slalom

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Cabbage

ABQ NM banked slalom

Post by Cabbage » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:45 pm

in 2 weeks, me and anthony leave for the fastest banked slalom racing in north america. getting all my setups together. Hpe'n to represent our area, in the 20 person invite race on fri. super excited, and have never been there, so I do have a big disadvantage. Any tips from any of you that have riden there? besides stay on..hahahah

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 am

Are they going to make the course a bit more technical this year? If the cones are real crazy on the top like I hear it might be, use some of the slalom tricks to set up for the next cone as you are going round the cone you are on. GBJ taught me how it is done. For the longest of time it kept me ahead of the rest of the DC slalomers because they would blow out of the course when they were not setting themselves up for the cones ahead of them.

Think of it as your body is actually leaning for the next cone you are coming up on and not the one you are turning on at the time. This way you don't have to overturn to make the next cone. Pull up some videos of the better slalomers and keep an eye how their body is off axis like they are already doing the care to get to the next cone. Think of it this way, you catch the cone with your legs while your center of gravity is always on the inside line of the cones.....Then when it is time to fly through the faster cones, pump out those carves.

Oh and go for the win or break yourself off trying to get the win.

DR
lbk

Cabbage

re

Post by Cabbage » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:38 pm

10-4 gOOd buddy...

Cabbage

re

Post by Cabbage » Thu May 10, 2007 9:59 pm

by the way, I was making the course and on track for a top 10, when the cops busted it up. 4-5 hours later the last 8 guys got to go. Completly different conditions, head wind and water, yes water, at 35 plus I hit 2 inches of water all the way accross the ditch...Well lets just say, thanks for leather jackets and motorcycle helmets...I was pissed, I was so in the zone, so the next day I had to race close to 40 heads for the remaining 10 spots for next years race, and I qualified 8th....just made it in. However next year, I do have a better understanding what I'm getting into, and I am going back out soon to practice...That ditch is the most fun you can have ditch riding...sick sick sick...so top 20, next year it is on... kenny and will brunson own that place....they both finished 1:52 on the same second...crazy long course...

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sun May 13, 2007 2:57 am

by the way, I was making the course and on track for a top 10, when the cops busted it up. 4-5 hours later the last 8 guys got to go. Completly different conditions, head wind and water, yes water, at 35 plus I hit 2 inches of water all the way accross the ditch...Well lets just say, thanks for leather jackets and motorcycle helmets...I was pissed, I was so in the zone, so the next day I had to race close to 40 heads for the remaining 10 spots for next years race, and I qualified 8th....just made it in.
Man, I knew Cabbage would represent the DC/Baltimore Scene out there in ABQ. He even got broke off doing it. Pure guts!!!! Look out for Cabbage next year. Also, it does not go without notice that Anthony Smallwood went for it as well out there in NM.
lbk

Anthony Smallwood

NEW MEX

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu May 17, 2007 8:11 pm

"Also, it does not go without notice that Anthony Smallwood went for it as well out there in NM."

hahaha....that's giving me more credit than I deserve. I truly stunk up the joint.

As is my want, I made everything harder than it had to be. Got in at 3am, slept at the airport, then got to the hill 15 minutes before it started. Got no pratice runs which didn't matter to me because i've charged it before. This time though, they had a little tight slalom section at the very beginning before it opened up the big gates I was looking for. I was riding a borrowed Schmitt Stix 36" Yardstick from the 1980's w/ Gumballs and Randalls. Fat and solid, it's perfect for big Indian School. The tight part however, got me early as I hit the last cone before things opened up, effectively ending my run.....2 miles of open wall and I was already disqualified. This kind of performance isn't really anything new for me and I've never been disappointed at any race, no matter how badly I did. I am always just truly stoked to be there and ride something without sharing it with cars. Things are cutthrout enough in the city and I travel to get away from that. This time though, I really felt sh!tty. Totally disappointed in my performance. hahaha....I don't know how you serious guys handle losing. I also felt like my blase approach wasn't very fair to the other racers and especially Palmer, George and Joe, the organizers It's just a waste of everybody's time to arrive totally unprepaired. So I'm out of the game except to shoot film and video (and maybe sneak a ride if no one is looking)

or maybe I just need more practice at slalom!

Cabbage

photo from Indian school qualifier@ morris ditch

Post by Cabbage » Mon May 21, 2007 10:12 pm