DC Outlaw Race #3

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:14 pm

DC is still stuck in a deep freeze. But if it is dry and the P&R is clear of salt and sand the Outlaw race is on for this weekend.

Longboard practice will start at 10am on Saturday. Traditional slalom practice will start at noon. Expect single lane for longboards and dual racing for shortboards.

It is going to be very cold and probably windy but its still better than not skating. Hope everyone will make it.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:58 pm

Brian, maybe we should do some Recon on the surface quality of the P&R. IF it is unrideable we could try Fountainhead, Occoquan or Seneca for a contingency spot.
Maybe ask Andy, Bozi or Mitch to check out the P&R.

Vlad, have snowboard, will ride! Maybe Sunday!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:31 am

I agree with Mike.
Especially since it will probably be windy this weekend. P&R can be no fun in that kind of condition.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:17 pm

Wimps!!! Ok guys I just checked weather.com and the wind forecast for Saturday is 5mph from the southwest. Now if I am not mistaken southwest would mean we would have a tailwind since the hill faces northeast. Which is normally a good thing.

The only factor I see is the condition of the surface and tryign to find wheels soft enough for below freezing temps.

GBJ, Mitch, Geezer is it possible for one of you guys to swing by there and give us an update. If not I will go give it a look Friday night.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:02 am

I don't know if Mr. X is checking here but here's what he posted on NCDSA...

On 1/23/2003 Geezer-X wrote in from 149.2.xxx.xxx:

I work 2 minutes from the Gaithersburg Park and Ride, and when I checked it out today, it was unbelievably salty. Like totally white and Dusty. Are we really planning on racing on it? It looks like a slamfest to me...

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:32 pm

Unfortunately, I'm without a working car right now, so I can't just jog over to the Park and Race and check. I will say this though... we had more snow last night. It was enough to stick, enough to streak the parking lots, but not enough to plow. I think it's safe to assume that this might be a problem at the Park and Race tomorrow as well.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:39 pm

ATTENTION DC Area Slalom racers!!!! I hate to cancal a race the day before but the Park and Ride is unskateable due to salt and sand and Fountainhead received snow last night and the high tomorrow is only 30 degrees with a 17 degree wind chill so melting is not going to happen. I think it is best to not expose us to this type of torture. So a postponement is probably the best solution. Sorry for the short notice.

The outlook for the next few weeks are very bad so the next official outlaw race will be on February 15th. Hopefully our area will thaw out by then. If anyone still has a desire to race several guys will be snowboarding at Whitetail on Sunday. I hear they have a Nastar course. So LBK, WesE, Steeb, Slappy, and Vlad , I know I am a beginner but I’m calling you out.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:13 pm

F*#$%CK

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:41 pm

I used to know a Noah Heinle. Then he started talking about buying a house and getting married.

Haven't heard much from him since.

It's always sad to see the young ones go down so early when they still have so much potential!

P.S. How was Maui, you bum?

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:09 pm

Noah is sunburned and itchin' to race. Bummed about this cancellation. Why isn't it postponed til next week like all the other races?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:18 pm

Sorry Noah. I have the worst cabin fever ever. Get any surf on your trip?

The forcast is calling for snow and rain next weekend. We could try to get a race in on February 8th then again on February 15th but that would be two weekend in a row.

Damn, Noah was going to make it tomorrow, Haggy is in town. Ugh I'm moving to California or Florida.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:17 pm

Hey, BP!

Don't move here, dammit! Rain follows you EVERYWHERE! Wherever you showed up this year to race it rained! (Except Boston, and I don't know if y'all realized it or not, but it rained all day. It was just so hot it turned to steam before it made it to the ground!)

Oh, for the record, yesterday we got SNOW! Well, more of a "white rain," but hey, first time I've seen the white stuff in five years. It started at 9:00 AM, quit by noon, sun came out, completely clear by 12:45.

That's snow I can live with.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:35 pm

Latest weather forcast for tomorrow is 37f and 5-10mph wind. Good enough racing weather for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WesE on 2003-01-24 17:37 ]</font>

Jason Herd

Post by Jason Herd » Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:20 am

Vans session from 445 till about 9 on saturday to replace the cancelled gaithersburg session. Any takers.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:14 pm

Mr. Parsons, is there a decision on this weekends Outlaw race? If Fountainhead is unrideable, I may have another option. I drove by Bull Run today and from the highway it looked rideable. Maybe we can use the lower portion of the hill. Hopefully they do not use sand or salt on that road.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:45 pm

...and, of course, the long range weather forecast for the weekend is calling for more winter precipitation.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:08 pm

The forecast is still not looking good. And as you all know conditions change so fast that it is "anybody’s guess". I am assuming that the P&R is still unskateable due to the salt and sand. Bull run is a good option I will check it out. Fountainhead is probably still wet. The main hill at Seneca Creek could be a possibility. If you guys up in Gaithersburg will check out the P&R and Seneca Creek I will go by Fountainhead and Bull Run.

Currently at weather.com the forecast is 33 degrees and light snow.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:11 pm

I think I’m the only one who’s happy with this forecast. Training is one of the unfortunate sides of a job - I’m out for the next two weekends.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:54 pm

I think Manassas Battlefield (5 minutes from Bull Run) might even be in better condition. Dave and I marked a course there over the summer.
Ahhhh...summer.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:35 pm

The Gaithersburg P&R is pretty sandy, but could be made to work, if the weather holds out. The Gathering Site is out. Being a reservable day-use area, it seems they don't even plow it in the winter. It is still almost completely covered with snow.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:21 pm

Forecast for the East coast is very ominus. Rain snow sleet f*@#!
Any news on Fountainhead?

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:21 pm

Is there an official cancellation for tomorrow?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:38 pm

I don't know, dude... there might be a lull tomorrow afternoon, between the 4" of snow overnight tonight and the 8" of snow on Sunday.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:43 pm

Guys, it is looking bad again. 90% chance of rain and snow tonight and tomorrow.

For you out of towners I would not risk it. Local guys, if it is dry I will be at the P&R in Gaithersburg at 10am.

But it really looks like another busted weekend.

I am heading down to Florida in a few weeks. I hope to get some nice slalom weather while I am there. So the next DC outlaw race will be in South Beach Miami.

Just kidding..

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:14 pm

OK, Outlaw racing in DC this winter has mostly been one big disappointment. The next date we have is March 8th. I will not be in town that weekend but that does not mean that there will not be a race in DC. If the weather is good I am sure most of you will want to race. I will make sure someone has the timer/cones/scoreboard etc. just in case the weather is good enough to race somewhere.

I will announce more dates the closer we get to spring and hopefully nicer/dryer weather.

Who knows when all of this snow will melt? I feel certain there are snow banks at the P&R that will not thaw until April. So as always if we get what looks like a dry weekend we will announce a race and hope for the best.

I am really looking forward this years slalom races all over the East Coast. TG3, GA, WV, Da Farm.

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:34 pm

hey Brian P email me your number at cabbage@gravityboard.com when are you gonna be FL? Snow sucks....

charge everythinG,

cabbage

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:42 pm

I used to love snow.