Yay!! Olney Skate Park....

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

John Dillon

Yay!! Olney Skate Park....

Post by John Dillon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:25 am

opens Saturday 1/6/07 from 11am until 3pm. I don't know the cost, but bring your pads and helmet. I have a dental appt so I may just go to Lansdowne at 2:30pm....come on out if you can.

John Dillon

Thanks Q!

Post by John Dillon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:31 am

Q just informed me it's free on opening day.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Local Skateboard History

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:53 pm

For the information of anyone who cares, the very first skate contest in which I ever competed took place at Olney Manor Park, now the site of this new Olney Skate Park, in the Spring of 1977. The freestyle competition took place in the parking lot that runs from the pool end of the new skate park north along Georgia Avenue. The hill on which the slalom race and a portion of the cross country race is in the back of the park, and, the last time I was there, was in absolutely awful condition, pavement-wise. I'd been racing on my old, boingy Bunger, but borrowed a Fibreflex cambered slalom deck for the race and finished third for my age group. It was also at this contest that I then won my first serious slalom board, Quicksilver/Gullwings/OJ Slaloms, in a raffle. Well... it really wasn't quite that cut and dried, but the real story's a bit longer and ended up with me having the board, so...

My good friend, Robbie Hilty, one of the most naturally gifted skaters I've ever known, took second in our age group in slalom (completely pissing me off!) and won the freestyle event. Homeless and hopelessly alcoholic, Robbie died from exposure less than two miles from that spot just over twenty-five years later.
Last edited by Andy Bittner on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:00 pm

Sorry about your friend, Andy. Cool flashback on Olney Manor.

I've been to the park now 3 times, and it has been pretty crowded each time. I went ahead and dropped the $35 for the in-county annual pass when they started charging admission. Five more trips to the park before March 2008, and I can count it as a wise investment.

I'd like to skate that park without a crowd. You really need to be on your toes in the flow area when it is busy, and I haven't sacked up enough to drop in on that bowl. If I get there on a less crowded day, I might give it a whirl... if a less crowded day ever happens.

I think they are having a "Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting/Demo" on April 14th.

Hopefully the folks at MC Rec will see the success and add to it (more skateparks).

Q