DC Outlaws Present in Spirit!!

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

DC Outlaws Present in Spirit!!

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Just to try something different tomorrow night, I'm going to set a course that BP posted on here with using Excel.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/Stuff ... ourse2.xls
HOSS

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:17 pm

Hey I forgot all about those.

Very cool.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I like fried chicken.

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:36 am

I showed the picture to some students. They were freaked out that I wasn't wearing a shirt and tie, I think. Then they asked why my wheels were different colors and if I bought the board with a pointy end or if I had to cut it myself.

I'm trying to add a little more "structure" to setting a course and actually measure things off a bit.
HOSS

John Dillon

Hey Lenny!

Post by John Dillon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:45 am

Way to go!!

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Curiousity

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:25 pm

Lenny, this is not really the proper forum, but, without meaning to be confrontational or negative, I'd like to ask you the following questions... Would adding a little more structure to your course setting and actually measuring things off a bit be a good thing? If so, why?

The reason I'm asking, is that I've always felt one of the most important things slalom skateboarding has going for it, in terms of preventing the sport from becoming too rigid, esoteric or boring in the long term, is almost infinite creative possibilities for setting courses. Personally, I've obstinately refused all requests to measure, diagram or "can" my courses, because every day and every hill is different. If I set a course for a race on the G-Burg Park 'n' Ride, for a warm day when the wind is blowing down the hill, and someone comes along the very next day and rides the very same cone set with a chilly wind blowing up the hill... it'll be a completely different course. What makes anyone think that getting someone to take all the time to measure, diagram and deliver the dimensions of their course is a good idea or would result in anything close to the same course in a completely different location?

It seems to me the best thing any aspiring slalom racer can learn, aside from the skating itself, is that course setting is best approached as art, not science (and DEFINITELY not rocket science!), and how to set exciting, challenging and creative courses, from scratch, on any venue or hill. It's not that hard and, in my opinion, trial, error and courage are the best teachers from which to learn course setting.

Give a man a fish and he eats tonight. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Anthony Smallwood

Outlaw Representing

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Today, Anthony Flis and friends put on a hell of a show. Excellent hill and faaaaaassst riders.

I'm not even sure who won but everybody was killing it. Big Balls Award has to go to DC Outlaw founding father, Brian Parsons. His personal style was supreme and he rode a friggin' slalom board with squirrely slalom trucks at mach. Committed for sure. BP is undoubtedly the unsong hero of DC downhill.

Good job all.

Aaron Morris

Post by Aaron Morris » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:41 am

hey to all. I'm tryin to skate soon. Is there going to be any winter races? I'm down if there is.

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Re: Curiousity

Post by Lenny Poage » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:56 am

Andy Bittner wrote:Lenny, this is not really the proper forum, but, without meaning to be confrontational or negative, I'd like to ask you the following questions... Would adding a little more structure to your course setting and actually measuring things off a bit be a good thing? If so, why?

The reason I'm asking, is that I've always felt one of the most important things slalom skateboarding has going for it, in terms of preventing the sport from becoming too rigid, esoteric or boring in the long term, is almost infinite creative possibilities for setting courses. Personally, I've obstinately refused all requests to measure, diagram or "can" my courses, because every day and every hill is different. If I set a course for a race on the G-Burg Park 'n' Ride, for a warm day when the wind is blowing down the hill, and someone comes along the very next day and rides the very same cone set with a chilly wind blowing up the hill... it'll be a completely different course. What makes anyone think that getting someone to take all the time to measure, diagram and deliver the dimensions of their course is a good idea or would result in anything close to the same course in a completely different location?

It seems to me the best thing any aspiring slalom racer can learn, aside from the skating itself, is that course setting is best approached as art, not science (and DEFINITELY not rocket science!), and how to set exciting, challenging and creative courses, from scratch, on any venue or hill. It's not that hard and, in my opinion, trial, error and courage are the best teachers from which to learn course setting.

Give a man a fish and he eats tonight. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.
Dude, I full-on agree with you. I'm just trying to expand my own course setting skills by getting different parts of my noggin to work. I've laughed that I'm very meditative about my courses, but now I'm examining structure. You know.. what works, what doesn't. Try as many things as possible and see what comes out.

In terms of BP's course (or any other measured-out courses go), I look at it like jazz. There's the theme set, and it's my job (or anyone else's for that matter) to interpret and improvise on that theme.
HOSS

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:51 am

Damn, I saw there was a new post and thought there might be slalom going on in DC!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:20 pm

Dan Mitchell wrote:Damn, I saw there was a new post and thought there might be slalom going on in DC!
Sorry, but if you want to make the trip to WV, we're doing sessions tonight and tomorrow.
HOSS

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:52 am

Aaron Morris wrote:hey to all. I'm tryin to skate soon. Is there going to be any winter races? I'm down if there is.
Aaron, how are you, man? Where the f*** have you been? Send me a message on MySpace. Do a search for JBH, or check your dad's friends list. I'm on there somewhere.

Where's WesE? Where's Vlad?