I will be in D.C.

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:55 pm

Hey, I will be in D.C. on January 10-12

Part of that weekend is reserved for family obligations, but my Slalom decks will be with me if there will be some folks around. I will not have a car, but I am sure I can work something out.

Vlad? Anyone?

matt@vasocreta.com

matt (vasocreta)
slalom is good

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:37 pm

Damn, Matt, among the 52 weekends in a year you had to pick the Vermont East Coast Carving Expression session one. I’ll be in Vermont till Saturday, and carving at Whitetail on Sunday as usual. Hope you’ll find a company. Slappy, Brian, LBK, Dillon, and many others are the good guys. Stay away from Wes (too aggressive) and Ohm (very angry).
Vlad.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:30 pm

yes, I know about ECES. I really wanted to go too at some point during the week. My contract at work was cut from 6 months to 3 months, so my days off are limited to almost nothing, and are already used up for something in March.
This season seemed so promising (both snowboard and slalom). Now I am out of the job in 3 months, and therefore have no days off in the winter to go ride. And I just bought a new deck Donek too!!

This is torture!!

Well, tell the carvers hello for me.
slalom is good

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:34 pm

are you staying in dc, md, or va?

i was thinking of riding Fountain Head Regional Park in Va on Saturday Jan. 11.

the surface is really nice and has various pitches to ride.

Wes, Vlad, Mike, and I rode it last weekend for the first time in a year.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:52 pm

Hey, Slappy.
I will be in D.C. visiting my sister-in-law.
I was hoping to get out and skate on Saturday at some point. I have zero transportation, so I am restricted to public transit or bumming a ride.

What are the chances of there being snow on the ground? How cold are we talking here? Anything under 35 is a bit iffy in my opinion, but I will do it if the ground is dry.

You can email me directly:
matt@vasocreta.com

p.s. I am a suck y pumper as of yet, so I can't promise to be any good. But I need to learn.
slalom is good

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:15 pm

Matt, I also will be in town that weekend. If it is dry we will skate somewhere. Don't worry about transporation. Biggest problem is the weather. We have had a very wet Fall and Winter. If it is wet bring your park deck and we will hit Vans.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:04 am

yeah, the forecast for Wed 1-7 is partly cloudy but that's as far as it goes...

there's a tunnel at the Pentagon (right by the Metro rail station) that i want to check out if it rains. i know a few good parking garages in DC by Metro stations as well.

like Brian says transportation won't be a problem. we can pick you up.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:00 am

Vaso! You got a Donek?!! We could go snowboarding on Sunday till noon, and you’ll be home by 21 o’clock the same day.
See? -DC guys are so nice! They’ll be all over you when you come. Leave your hunny home :smile:

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:37 am

Ok--
Now I wish I could live in D.C.!!
Anyway, here is my weekend schedule..so far.
Arrive in DC on the evening of Friday, Jan. 10
Have pretty much a free day on Sat. Jan 11.
Sunday, Jan 12 is taken up with family obligations (neice is getting baptized), and our trip back to Boston.

So, I guess that mean Saturday is the day I can skate.

For those who don't know, the first time I ever stepped on a skateboard was when I started slaloming. I do not own a park board...yet! Hell, I wouldn't know what to do in a park.

Vlad, YES, I got a Donek Incline. It is shipping on Jan 15, and should be to me by the 20th-25th. I am stoked out of my mind. I even got 'vasocreta' die cut into the base.

So, if Saturday is good for anybody, I will have my boards. A word of warning..I SUCK!! But am committed to getting better!
If nobody can meet on that day, can anyone offer some suggestions as to spots that I can go to on my own? Flats areas are fine. I need to learn to pump anyway.

Thanks, all. Talk to you soon.
slalom is good

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:03 am

Matt, Where are you staying when you're here?

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:39 pm

Embassy Suites right in D.C. I can post the exact street location later.

But the number where I will be reachable is 617-448-5498
slalom is good

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:33 pm

Abort! Abort! You’ve got the wrong board! It is at least a FreeCarve model you should be after. Your wife will love the Incline…eventually.<br>
Embassy Suites? Hmm....
Let’s skate at the Vaso-sys ceremony! Anyone has a good slogan?

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:39 pm

On 2003-01-02 11:33, Vlad Popov wrote:
Abort! Abort! You’ve got the wrong board! It is at least a FreeCarve model you should be after. Your wife will love the Incline…eventually.<br>
Embassy Suites? Hmm....
Let’s skate at the Vaso-sys ceremony! Anyone has a good slogan?
Vlad-- I have the right board.
Reason: 1) I have NEVER been on plates. So, I want to try it before it I buy it.
2) Couldn't afford plates this year anyway.

I have a carvers heart, but I fell in love with softies too long ago. I will need a higher paying job, and the gurantee of at least 20 days a season on the mountain before I commit to plates.

I would rather use my hard earned cash to get myself on a skateboard that I can pump. My Comet is making my life difficult.

I wonder in Embassy suites has a good parking garage!!!
slalom is good

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:57 pm

Although I never tried Incline, people say it’s a very nice and very inexpencive board for its class. Errite about choosing the soft stuff first.

Even though it is Off Topic (please, dear out-of-staters, forgive me for misusing the precious database space reserved for your Image) Bomber still has great deals on close-out boots (if your foot is no bigger then size 9 US), Blue Tomatoes sells new and used stuff at (what seems) below cost by the season’s end, and E-bay has impressive deals year round.

And here’s how you save $$ for your next board: YOU DON’T GET NAME DIECUTS, that’s how! Or **** the Ick Boy Image

Er Comet pumped Ok in NJ. What did you do to it since then? Took your hunny for a ride? Heh-heh.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:30 pm

Matt - you did good with the incline. I love mine to death (164). It is a great middle of the road deck that does plates and softies well. In fact I just spent 4 days last week riding it with plates in 17-34" of pow pow. It makes the transition from pow to groomers effortlessly. I prefer my donek alpine deck(s) for dedicated carving but for a non alpine deck the incline is amazing. The dampening in the deck is second to no other board I have ever ridden, I've never chattered out on it. So if you want to try hardboots your incline will bring you there. From their you can move to a dedicated alpine deck and tweak your form and such....

you did good....now replace that comet!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Stepanek on 2003-01-02 15:31 ]</font>

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:15 pm

Er Comet pumped Ok in NJ. What did you do to it since then? Took your hunny for a ride? Heh-heh.
Vlad-
I must humble myself and say that my Comet is still the same as it was in NJ. In fact, it is better now. But I am just a bit slow at picking up anything that requires athleticism. It has troubled me all my life. I am reseigned to the fact that I am just not a natural athlete, and thus, I must work really hard to get where many others can get in just a short time.

I agree with everyone who has told me this: if I can learn to pump my Comet, I will be able to pump anything else that I stand on, even a counter top on wheels.
I will get it...eventually!

ur13- I am pretty pumped about the Incline. From what I have read, it will tear my Johan apart. Maybe one day I will get on plates too. The Donek Axis looks like a sick ride.
Dude, I need a freelance life like you so I can ride and skate more often.
slalom is good

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:53 am

Whatcha talking about, Vasocreta? Drinking beer every day <i>and</i> staying in shape requires athleticism, slalom and snowboarding need only practice.
Ask Tway if you don't believe Image me.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:20 pm

Henry,
if there is a race then practice will most likelly start at 10 o'clock.
What time her test ends?
On 2003-07-08 22:56, Henry Julier wrote:
Hey shiznats-

I'll be in Alexandria this weekend visiting a friend. She has an SAT Saturday morning and would like to see me slalom when she gets done.

How can I get to Gaithersburg? I am 3 miles from the nearest Metro stop. Tell me what to take and when. Somebody can pick me up, I'm trying to save my friend's parents from driving me. I'll pack my Mini Carrera. Let's make it happen.

Henry

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:20 pm

vlad

The test ends at 12:30.

I'm 3.5 miles from the Huntington Metro Stop fyi. I can slalom till mid afternoon I think. What i would like to do is metro myself out in the morning , have someone pick me up and then have rachel (the person im visiting) come out with her dad in the afternoon to watch and then take me back.

h

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:48 pm

Henry,

if there is a race we can arrange your pickup so that we're in MD by 10.

If there's no race and the weather is good, there will be a practice session. I'm certain WesE is planning it as I type.

If the weather is bad, we're screwed.

Don't count on CA hospitality here. Stay away from Ohm as long as possible. He's mean.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:00 pm

Ok.

Well if there's a race or a practice session, call my cell at 203.376.6751 and we'll arrange something.

Untill then

Henry

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:15 pm

Henry, there is a Outlaw race this weekend in Gaithersburg at the P&R. Longboard slalom starts at 10am and open slalom starts around noon. The P&R is abount a mile skate from the Shady Grove metro stop. I am not exactly sure how to tell you to get there on skate from the metro. Maybe WesE could comment.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:33 pm

Jeff Bozwell has offered to give me a ride up to G Burg for the races... thanks Jeff! I have a ride back so yeah, I'm packing my Mini and an extra dose of machismo.

Henry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry Julier on 2003-07-09 16:41 ]</font>

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:26 am

Henry,
If you have some kind of emergency and cannot get anyone else, my cell is 717-332 4991, home is 717-792-5272. I am about 1 1/2 hours from Gaithersburg, but you've got my numbers just in case.
Dan
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan