Slalom Race in DC

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Anthony Smallwood

Slalom Race in DC

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:03 pm

Took a sweet run down the side of the Capital Building the other day, on the same rode they hold the soapbox derby. Long, fast and smooth, in a perfect setting.

Someone should hold a race there.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:46 am

Anthony,

How's it bro? Do they still hold the soap box derby race at the Capital Bldg? What street is it on?
lbk

Anthony Smallwood

is it dead????

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:04 am

Dave, it's Constitution and yes, they still have the soapbox derby there. It's a really sweet view coming down as you can see straight down Penn Ave, where it merges w/ Constitution. Truly a world class venue. Best part about it is the precident for closing it down. If they do it once, they'll probably do it again for something more modern. Thinking about it, Dave?? I'd help any way I could.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:16 am

Well, if it's soap box derby racing that closes the street, then slalom racing would need a list of sponsors that equals SBDs: Levi Strauss, NASCAR, Goodyear, Toyota and Dodge. With that kind of muscle it's easy to afford everything you need to close a main six-lane thoroughfare through the middle of a major metro area all weekend.

I mean, I love Roe and Pocket Pistol and all they do for the sport, but c'mon, let's be real for a second.

By the way, I was on that hill Thursday afternoon on my way to Canada. I agree: it's sweet.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:59 pm

I'm mentioned it five years ago on ncdsa and it was poo poo'ed.

On 5/25/2001 GBJ wrote in from 63.22.xxx.xxx:

I am very much in favor of a major racing event in D.C. I am in the process of investigating the options therein, but I can guarantee you it's not going to be during the months of June, July, or August. Furthermore, I wouldn't get your hopes too high on racing on Capitol Hill. While I've yet to inspect the pitch of the hill and the quality of the pavement on constitution Ave. by Union Station. I'd be very surprised to find it completely suitable to my standards, and I'm not about to hold a major race on a lesser track, just because the location somehow seems special, or neat. We're also likely to get more cooperation out of the city government, if we're not interested in shutting down major tourist routes.

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Well, they shut down 15th Street for 3 years For the DC Downhill and that handles way more traffic than that part of Constitution. And we had local restaurants as sponsors.

Actually, June July and August are probably the best months. It's completely dead over there in the summer. Most traffic comes in and out from the other side of the Capital on Penn Ave. And having an event in such a venue might draw a Levi's or Toyota. It seems every weekend something is shut down for some kind of event or party.

Someone should do it. I swear, I'll conehead.

Wesley, did you hit it when you came thru?

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:22 pm

More importantly, the pitch of the road is bitchin' and the surface quality is excellent. And I covered the whole road on my run down. 4 lanes, no cars= big fast carves across all 4 lanes. Of course, many of you might have a higher surface standard, but it seems fine to me. I KNOW you guys have raced on far worse.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Anthony,

Didn't skate it. I was with friends and we were sightseeing. Walked the Mall from the WWII memorial to Capital Hill and back to 17th Street where we were parked. The only reason we were on Constitution was that had the most shade over the sidewalks. It was STIFLING Thursday afternoon.

Oh, got to see GWB (sort of.) The Japanese Prime Minister was in town and we got stopped while a LONG motorcade went by with the Prez's limousine. I was a little uncertain whether it was a presidential motorcade until someone pointed out that all the helicopters in the air indicated it was definetely the President involved. It was cool.
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Graf

Post by Paul Graf » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:00 pm

GWB was in St. Louis last week too (for a fund raiser). His Limo went right by my work just as I was leaving. The highway was shut down for least a 1/2 hour after he left & traffic was a mess. It sure was exciting!!... one thought kept running thru my head. Is there anything this man doesn't screw up? I was in a hurry to cash my check & get home so I could (qouting GWB here) "PUT FOOD ON MY FAMILY"

PG

Michel Temoche

Riding The Hill

Post by Michel Temoche » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:54 pm

Anthony when do you go ride this hill? I work a couple of blocks away. Might go check it out today.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:08 pm

Mitch!

Where have you been? We raced at the P&R in early June and lots of people were wondering what happened to you.

Well, not really "lots." Me and PADan asked and a no one knew. But, hey, you get the idea.

Anthony Smallwood

dc

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:45 pm

Mitch, I rode it last sunday after having some drinks at the Tune Inn on Capitol Hill. It's very quiet around there on sundays but I'm sure it's a clusterbang on weekdays. If you want to hit it, or anything else, let me know. 202-607-1495

I've got some phenomenal runs in Anacostia that are begging to be ridden. Anyone want to check it?

Michel Temoche

Post by Michel Temoche » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:22 pm

I'm still alive and well in Gaithersburg. My daughter started college and my son is going in to 11th grade. I just started a new job a couple of months ago doing IT for a newspaper on capitol hill. I've been refereeing soccer on weekends and sometimes during the week. The day of the P&R race I was on a camping trip down in southern MD.
I was on the hill on constitution yesterday its pretty awesome. You could race quads on that thing if you wanted to. I skated it some on my way down to the folklife festival. It wasn't really busy on a saturday afternoon.
Anthony I'm putting your number on my cell. Today I'm watching the World Cup final with family although I'd also like to be downtown when they get all the different Latino Chicago acts together onstage for a jam session.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:43 pm

I am so up for hitting that up on a Sunday night or something. I'll have to say no to cruisin the ghetto though, I know my father wouldn't approve.

If we can't get a legit race going there why don't we just get a crapload of people and skate on a day where traffic is minimal?

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Danny, the runs in Anacostia are actually in a really nice place. It could easily be Montgomery Co. or Fairfax, at least until you reach the bottom. That's when you pass the garden style apartments. When I inquired about having a race there, the apartment dwellers were all in favor. The folks in the stately homes at the top of the hill were a little less enthusiastic, proving that snobs come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Truthfully, I've never been treated better by non-skaters as when I ride over there. Hell, even the cops that pulled up one time proceeded to tell us where bigger hills were.

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Danny, the runs in Anacostia are actually in a really nice place. It could easily be Montgomery Co. or Fairfax, at least until you reach the bottom. That's when you pass the garden style apartments. When I inquired about having a race there, the apartment dwellers were all in favor. The folks in the stately homes at the top of the hill were a little less enthusiastic, proving that snobs come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Truthfully, I've never been treated better by non-skaters as when I ride over there. Hell, even the cops that pulled up one time proceeded to tell us where bigger hills were.

Anthony Smallwood

seein' double double, double vision

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:37 pm

cross your eyes and read it FOUR times

Mike Ohm

dc

Post by Mike Ohm » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:43 pm

Anthony, I am in Nags Head right now but when i get back i will meet you down there. We need to locate a legitimate spot to hold a race. Maybe that is it.

No surf but a killer Grindline park at the YMCA.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Ohm,

When are you returning? We're racing at Hobby Park on the 22nd and 23rd. CBark is flying in. Be there or be elsewhere. Parsons is planning on driving EARLY Saturday morning and racing both days.

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Ohm, no waves?? I know you're bummin'

There is some nice skate terrain down that way. Right now, a crew of the Carolina boys are in Bowie, MD working on the park there. Should be a good one.

Call me when you want to check out the hill.

Diana Everett

Re: Slalom Race in DC

Post by Diana Everett » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:17 am

Anthony Smallwood wrote:Took a sweet run down the side of the Capital Building the other day, on the same rode they hold the soapbox derby. Long, fast and smooth, in a perfect setting.

Someone should hold a race there.
Hello Tony!

So glad to have found you at last, and to read that things are going well with the riding and with your life! Sorry that the POSTERS DC gallery had to close; I know when Morrie set you up with all of his posters, he was really wanting to give you a great start in the business. Anyway, things do not always go as planned in this life. How is Amber? Have not seen or heard from you in ages. How and when can we get together for the return of our posters? We will gladly rent a truck and drive down there to pick them up. Quite a few of them were my favorites, especially the ones we let you take from the Atlantic City Show to be sold in your gallery. Anyway, can hardly wait to hear from you and wrap this thing up!!! You know where to reach Morris; phone numbers are still the same. All the best to you...fun to see that you are still king of the skateboarders!!