DC Discussions

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:38 pm

Share thoughts and feelings, post and critique ideas, start and participate/in discussions.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:40 pm

Dave, they don’t call you LBK for nothing!

I feel that it is not the boards that are short, but the courses that are “long”. A 36-inch board shouldn’t be good for TS. A 36-inch board is a long board and <i>can</i> be a longboard too!

No matter how much I love arguing with you, I’ll just ask Dalv to build a 42-inch longboard with whatever wheelbase you say, and we’ll test it head to head with my 30-inch spec longboard. What’s LBK spec axle-to-axle distance? 36?

Vlad.
All is cool though and I will drop the longboard issue on this thread (DC Outlaw Serries thread).

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:21 pm

I agree with LBK. 36" isn't a true longboard. It really should be at least 40". If people show up with smaller boards there are always a ton of boards around they can borrow.

Dlav's 'Cali TS' isn't a longboard it's more of a GS slalom.

Sorry I can't make Vans tonight.
Let's Go Caps!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:40 pm

I've noticed that WesE can't post on this website without Vlad insisting he provide his real name to the Webmaster.

Yet for some unknown reason, Komrade Popov just assumes Mrs. Maxwell named her bundle of joy "Slappy."

Americans. Ain't we a hoot?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:20 pm

WesT,
Slappy Maxwell was known to me as Slappy Maxwell from day one. On line and off. I don’t know his other name. Nor do I care.

How do you know Vlad Popov is my real name? Before you make a mistake by assuming that it is, I can tell you that it isn’t. My birth name and my passport name are both different. And so is the name of the most influential “slalomskateboarder” on this site, by the way.

If Slappy would post by SlappyM here and ignore Trahan’s e-mail requests to put his last name in, I’d be doing the same thing to my “favorite” Slappy.

WesE was offered to put his “modified” last name in if he wants/needs to fly under the radar on the net. I like Wes as much as the rest of the guys I skate with. Nothing personal.

Vlad.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:24 pm

I never assumed your real name is "Vlad." I always knew from the first time I saw you you're really Olga Korbut trying your hand at a new sport! :razz:

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:27 pm

I shouldn't have said that.
I've seen Olga Korbut lately on the news.
Vlad is aging A LOT better than she is!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:15 pm

Slappy, I’ll build a 42-inch deck with an axle length specified by Dave-da-LBK, and will do some comparisons.
What’s the next thing you guys are going to notice - that my boards are high performance slalom boards and your boards are low performance longboard cruisers?
I can tell you that apriori.
Awaiting the tests.

Wes,
don’t tell anyone. :wink:

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:03 am

Spec class doesn’t change any rules. The course stays the same, and the penalty for a hit cone stays the same. There is no relationship with the recent attempts to change the original 100-cone course rules.

The ideas behind the Spec class are: to equalize the field and to attract new people to slalom racing with an inexpensive set-up.

The idea behind changing the 100-cone rules is to rewrite the history by declaring and eventually recognizing (exclusively) a new winner. The fastest racer in the world has little or no chance of making the course clean during the official 2 attempts.

Anyone can fool around and post his unofficial clean times on the net. It's the official times that count.

Trying to change the existing rules in one slalom discipline while leaving rules in the other slalom disciplines untouched is a double standard.

Another issue with this debate is that most people who argue in favor of clean runs have never run a 100-cone course. It appears that most of them argue for the sake of the argument. If I see them run a 100-cone course, I would at least respect their opinion.

Vlad.
Wesley Tucker
I'm in the mood for being argumentative (me? when?)

Here's a neat little conundrum that relates to another issue that also got a lot of airplay with the DC Crew. Remember when Vlad suggested a 100-cone challenge? Sure you do. It wasn't that long ago. Well, my contribution to the event was the suggestion that only a 100-cone clean run should count. (It's all coming back to you now, right?) Well, that was slapped down immediately by the more aggressive racers in the group. A cone penalty was preferable to any demand that a racer SLOW DOWN in order to make the course. 'nuff said about that.

Now here is the definition of a spec class race: get on a board that's just like everyone elses, little wedge, 78A wheels, ride through a course and record your times. So who here is going to SLOW DOWN enough to make the adjustment to a piece of equipment that may not be cheap, but certainly isn't on the same par as a Roe or a Turner? Or are racers going to charge the hill with the same abandon on the spec board as they would on their usual, high-tech powerful racing board?

This isn't a condemnation of spec clas racing. Far from it. I think it sounds like a blast. My question, though, is why are racers willing to adjust to a spec class board but completely unwilling to adjust to a unique type of 100-cone course? Is anyone going to pump as hard, turn as hard and push as hard on a Black Hill board as they would on a Bottle Rocket set up with TTCs, RTXs and Cambrias? And if the adjustment is made to ride the Black Hill, why is it then impossible to consider an adjustment to ride a course under certain conditions? (i.e., 100 cones clean?)

It just sounds like a double standard. Adjustments are expected to ride in a spec class, but it's completely out of the question and unmentionable to suggest an adjustment in a 100 cone course.

(It's raining, my shoulder hurts and I have nothing better to do . . . that's why!)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:31 am

Have I run 100-cone courses this year? No.
Have I run 100-cone courses? Absolutely.

Y'all remember my pics of my Exit 46 hill? Between 1984-1987, I rode that hill at least once a month. I set courses of various steepness of between 80 to 120 cones. Spacing varied anywhere between 6 to 12 feet. I even ran 'em clean more than occasionally. At the time I didn't even know there was a 100-cone discipline. Hell, at the time I didn't even know there was anyone outside of South Carolina still running their skateboard around cones in the road.

Can I run 100 cones? Yes. Does Vlad have to see me do it to feel validated? Not hardly. Can I still run 100 cones? Yes. Can I do it faster than anyone else? Not now . . . probably later. Can I go onto a skateboard forum and advocate a more standard and easily adaptable means of holding 100-cone challenges worldwide? Without any hesitation.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:49 pm

Tight Slalom around the world should not be called “tight” if a 36-inch board can (even) make the course, not to mention make it to the podium.

If a slalom course is set in such a way that it requires hitting cones to better times, such course should be reset.

If racers keep creating more racing classes with an excuse to accommodate everybody and attract more racers, each racer will end up racing in his own class by himself without attracting any new people into slalom, and, therefore, such practice should be abandoned.

If Dieter Fleischer calls his hobby longboarding or longwheeling, he knows better.

If one cone is hit in any slalom competition, it should be automatic disqualification.

Each competitor should only be allowed to take one run in any slalom competition.

Goofy stance should be outlawed.

No matter how absurd parts of it sound, I hope some of my ideas find more support then the absurd idea of counting only clean runs on 100-cone courses.

Vlad.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:58 pm

On 2002-12-19 14:40, Wesley Tucker wrote:
I've noticed that WesE can't post on this website without Vlad insisting he provide his real name to the Webmaster.

Yet for some unknown reason, Komrade Popov just assumes Mrs. Maxwell named her bundle of joy "Slappy."

Americans. Ain't we a hoot?
My real first name is Slappimus.

Let's keep the DC forums as skate and event pure as possible. If you wanna debate names I would suggest ncdsa.com as a more appropriate forum.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:08 pm

Happy Holidays to all my bros from the East Coast. I am looking forward to the new year and a new year of racing. I have spoke to Santa about a few things I need so ya'll better start getting faster cause if I can already beat you, you can forget trying to catch me. If I have you in my sights since you have consistantly beat me, I am coming after you. 41 years old or not, the new year will be more competitive and intense than the last.

Skate fast or go longboarding!

Mele Kalekemaka!

ohm

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:25 am

Ohm, Ohm, Ohm, Ohm, Ohm! Your being naughty not nice.

Santa Claude is listening! From the North,Eh!

Seasons Greetings Folks!!!!!!!

and Ohm soon I'll be even older and hopefully wiser too.

C-Yall

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:31 am

I wonder how long till the entire DC team is riding the PVDs?

I also wonder how long till the DC team is out riding?.. If no snow - salt and sand. If no sand- there is snow. Seems like 1996 all over again.

Vlad.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:42 am

Here's an idea. Because it's Friday!

Let's have one of the DC Outlaw Summer Series races in Central Park, New York (or similar location).

It is The Central Park (!), it is New York City (!), it's close to Noah, Chris, Ilva, Tway, TK, Gilmour, Ron and several significant others, and most importantly, it's DIFFERENT. It'd be very very cool! Or so I think.

If we car pool there, it'd be, like, 4 or 5 cars. Just for a day, and then have a session with Gilmour and TK at the marked Farm's race courses the following day.

To make the venue appear more or less legit, we can get together with the local blader slalomers, even share out courses with them and see who's faster. No sponsors, no banners, only regular racing at an irregular location.

We're talking about racing in one of the Fashion Centers of the World here and a skate session with those who don't usually come to us because it's too far away for them. It's only 4 hours away!

Thoughts?

Vlad.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:42 pm

Vlad---GREAT IDEA!! I know that I am not a D.C. guy (despite my one-time fling with the crew), but hey...the East is a small place. I can get to NYC $40 Round trip on a bus. Therefore, there would be few excuses for anyone in the Boston/ RI area to come down and join you all.

I think your suggestion is great, man. Bringing the North East coast together!!!

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:10 pm

Dearest Vlad, your package is in the mail and will arrive thursday, mabey even tomorrow. one Girls Roe BR, 2 sets pee vee plates. TK

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:49 am

Thanks again, precious TK. Please don't tell anyone I'm riding *** boards and *** trucks.
The entire DC slalom scene is gonna look like one big spec class pretty soon anyway, but I want to be able to keep something a secret.

So, last night at Vans the floor was so bad, it's not even worth mentioning a couple of pathetic times. Eric went to ride the park pretty soon, leaving his Turner Hybrid with PVDs behind. Eric is, like, 200 some pounds. But I stepped on the board anyway and took it for a spin. It took me two runs to get it to work. But, you see, Eric is, like, 200 some pounds! I was matching my plankkR times almost effortlessly, working the board up-and-down as well as side-to-side. I think PeeVees work exceptionally well with flexy boards. The amount of traction is unbelievable. Perfectly controllable and predictable slides.

I gotta test a weight-matching set-up. But so far, I'm impressed.

Vlad.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:59 pm

Brian Parsons, have you looked into the ABC points system that Gary Fluitt and Jack have put together?

Will you consider registering your Outlaw races for points accumulation?

Welcome Back. Let's race!!!!!!!!!

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:24 pm

Hey Mike. Yes I have looked at that system and I think it may be good to use for our Outlaw races.

I will be posting up the Spring/Summer schedule very soon.

The Winter series should not be a total bust. We should race this Saturday, Surely we can find a dry hill with out snowmounds. I have been out of the loop on the condition of the P&R, Seneca and Fountianhead. Let me know which hill would be best for Saturday.

Lets Race!!!!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:23 am

Fountainhead and Bull Run are in the best shape. No salt, sand, or snow.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:07 pm

Brian, WesE skated Fountainhead. Surface OK but snow still on the grass so if a cone flies in the snow and down the bank you get very wet feet. Bull run was checked also. No salt or sand and the snow has melted! Probably a better chance to set duals!!!

Just give me some offsets, Cyber is killing me!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:31 pm

Ohm, we had 2 courses set on Saturday at G-Burke’s P-Ride. Every gate had an offset. The first gate of the TS course was 2-feet wide with 1-foot offset!
Cyber didn’t kill you, Ohm, it made you quicker, faster, meaner and leaner. You look healthier too, by the way. Esp. when shaven.
Vlad.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:26 pm

Vlad point taken. As far as Gaythersburg, what is the water factor?

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:42 am

There was a lot water from melting snow at the P&R making it difficult to set courses.
Fountainhead and Bull Run are in the best shape.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:54 pm

For anyone who wants to increase his red blood cell count prior to racing at high altitudes. (Hem-UH-gluh-bin is produced in the splinter, if you're forn' enof :smile: )

Dangerous stuff: PFC (perfluorcarbon) and EPO. Used by pro athletes in high endurance exercises.
Legal substance (used to cure anemia). Generic name- epoetin alfa , brand name- Epogen and Procrit.
I know nothing of the effects of these drugs or where to get them at $100 for 10 pills semi-legally.
To increase red blood cell count I’d eat much liver, pray and knock on wood.

Vlad.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:16 pm

Vladislav, I will be there, don't you worry.

Practice this weekend?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:37 pm

The Swiss race is not to be missed as well. Gatti and Luca are registered. I’m so-oh there!
It’s June 21-22.
G-Burke Saturday?

Just in:

The Swiss are notorious for their “neutral” position/status. There are no excuses to ignore/boycott this race like Paris and/or Moscow! A trip there would cost the same as to MB. Only there is more for your money. You could meet and race two fastest slalomers of all times- Luca and Gatti. Go on, check the record books.

20 Franks to enter. 1000 Franks is the first place prize.
Here is a link.
http://www.pscontest.ch

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vlad popov on 2003-03-19 13:55 ]</font>

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:54 pm

Vlad, please leave a number when you call so I can call back. I get so sad when I miss your calls.
Mike Ohm, we are expecting BIG results from you this year. TK

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:13 am

Vlad-I just checked my record books, no mention of either of those guys, I did see names like Piercy, Hester, Skoldberg, Hutson, Ransom, Evans, Olson, Hackett, Logan, Alva to name a few.

If you want to race some fast people, you might want to come west young man, Check the record books!

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:35 am

Arab, there are more history books than those from the US. Vlad wanted to say "check the European record books" go figure, or come over to Switzerland and prove us wrong, you will be very welcome!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:59 pm

More reasons to go: last minute deal to MB was in $450-$600 range last year. Last minute deals to major European cities are currently in $200-$300 range. The cheapest DC-Zurich-DC fare I found for the race dates is around $500.

The Swiss have a history of great organization. This particular event has already become a tradition. Check the link.

Entree fee in US dollars is only $14. First place prize is over $700.

Race on a local level or race on a global level. It only affects the validity of your results.

Vlad.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:04 pm

Right on Vlad. I am glad you are going to this event. I wish you the best and hope you bring home a good placing.

I hope that many other racers from the USA go too.

But please try and go to an FCR race also if you can to compare the competition.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:37 pm

Or course, Glenn! I'll come to B-Ridge or Moro. US Captain "Silver Bird" is coming to where the world is racing. Michael Dong's expressed an interest as well. Wallstreet racing is signed on.

There is a possiblility of organizing a slalom race in Central Park, New York city. Early Fall months. And to keep with the East Coast traditions and ethical guidelines, this race will not be scheduled on the same day with any major FCR-series race.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:50 pm

With all due respect Arab, I will back up what Chris is saying. The old Slalom! magazines document much of the European Racing History.

There is a lot of good things in those little half pages. Jani has been organizing the scanning of them and they can be found at this Slalom! link.

Anyway, best to all of you in these troubled times.
On 2003-03-20 05:35, Chris Eggers wrote:
Arab, there are more history books than those from the US. Vlad wanted to say "check the European record books" go figure, or come over to Switzerland and prove us wrong, you will be very welcome!

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:01 pm

Chris-I missed where Vlad talked of the fastest euro racers, I thought he said "All Time"?

Vlad-did you want to say Euro? Racing in Europe might give you that ooy gooy feeling of racing globally, but it wont give you the competition that you might find in your own back yard.

The validity of your results will be measured by racing the best racers in the world, not the best racers in Europe.

When you get back from Hot Heels, Where yes they have a great tradition of downhill racing but no experiance in slalom. You can come west and race the best, you will see that the bar has been raised. well above one that you can reach.

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:04 pm

Adam-yes I see what you and chris have said, there is a few good racers of years past from Europe, Are you guys putting words in Vlads mouth by makeing these statements?

Because he just mentioned "All Time"

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:29 pm

Thank you, Mr. Trahan. Good things to you too, even though you live far away form the potential terrorist target #1, Dee See.

As a professional psychologist I recommend to all my slalom friends who can be infected or/and evaporated any time (that sort of thing I got from watching TV last week) to:
  • Switch to a black- and-white television set so that you don’t know whether it’s an “orange” or “red” day. They will all be gray. And calm.
  • Get rid of the TV speaker, so that you can only read 5 or 6 standard facial expression of the news anchors. This is the only fun way to “watch” the news.
  • Not read newspapers and watch TV at all. Practice abstinence with respect to the Internet news sites as well.
  • If all the money spent on travel to the US backdoor is invested in traveling to slalom competitions around the world, it will be money well invested as the memories/emotions/experiences that one pays for are going to be heterogeneous. Diversifying experiences, i.e., creating more stimuli, will ensure longer lasting memories and better recall performance, which, in turn, will help get through one’s mid-life crises when the physical and mental performance are deteriorated, and furthermore insure normality of aging.
  • Spend all your time practicing slalom, thanking God/Allah that you’re alive depending on your preferences and believes, talking to your friends, loved ones, and participating in DC slalom discussions.
  • Relax. If we get hit, we won’t even know it.
Reporting to you, 200 yards away from the CIA headquarters in McLean, Virginia,

Vlad.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:48 pm

ARAB I kind of agree with you on the Euro racing scene. I have heard all of the arguments about mystery Euros that are way faster than anyone in the states. It’s all just talk until I actually see some comparable results. I am not discounting what Jani and Luca have accomplished. And Jani surely showed he is a champion at the worlds. I would like to see Olson, Mollica, Cross, Dunn, Chicken, and the Badlanders go to the Swiss race and represent the US. I know that Dunn and Gilmour raced over there in the 90s and their results seemed to be middle of the pack. But that was over 10 years ago.

You guys can’t just let Gilmour go over there and take their money and women without at least giving him some competition.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:12 pm

On 2003-03-19 11:37, Vlad Popov wrote:
The Swiss race is not to be missed as well. Gatti and Luca are registered. I’m so-oh there!
It’s June 21-22.
G-Burke Saturday?

Just in:

The Swiss are notorious for their “neutral” position/status. There are no excuses to ignore/boycott this race like Paris and/or Moscow! A trip there would cost the same as to MB. Only there is more for your money. <b>You could meet and race two fastest slalomers of all times- Luca and Gatti. Go on, check the record books.</b>

20 Franks to enter. 1000 Franks is the first place prize.
Here is a link.
http://www.pscontest.ch

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vlad popov on 2003-03-19 13:55 ]</font>
"Fastest of all time" is a big position to hold.

Did ALL of the top US skaters travel to many of the European races to compete? And vise versa for the European skaters, did they travel to many of the US races to compete?

From their placing as compared to Jani and JG, both of who are Very good, many of these skaters did much better consistently, and are definitely very good skaters.

The Europeans that have come here over the past two years are good, but were not the top placers.

We'll just have to hopefully get some USA skaters over there this year ! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: glenn on 2003-03-20 14:36 ]</font>

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:48 pm

I’d like to explain why the External Validity of the 1990s European Race results is higher, but I don’t think I’ll be understood. However, I feel obligated to at least share my reasoning behind the statement that gives an erection to some people.

“Of all times” is an extrapolation based on comparative performance of certain athletes across time.

Those who have the record books handy:
  • How many nations participated in the competition in which your claimed slalomer scored high?
  • Across what time period was he able to score high consistently on various types of courses in different countries set according to different standards.
  • How many overall victories did he have?
  • How many people participated in the competitions?
  • How many world top-ten slalomers participated in the competitions?
A similar system exists in the US. FCR points, for example, count more, and in fact, have greater external validity, then, say, DC-Outlaw series points.

PS. Gilmour and Dunn were not the only Americans racing in Europe. Captain Gilmour, however, was the only one, who after being beaten, practiced, came back, got beaten, came back, got better/faster, scored higher, practiced and then came back for more. Check his results in Paris in 1995 and you’ll be amazed with the progress of the Silver Bird.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:57 pm

Umm, I don't think I am putting words in his mouth.

There are little things that are lost in translation.

For instance:
Vlad: You could meet and race two fastest slalomers of all times- Luca and Gatti. Go on, check the record books.
I know Vladdy is sharp, I've talked with him on the phone and online for a good while, not that this makes a good judgement. But I know he is making an informed statement and that this is the way he "HONORS" these two fine slalom racers.

We should HONOR the racers who are HONORABLE.

You can find so many different meanings in the same words, much like statistics. You can look at them from different angles and make different meanings.

I can make a forum where you can write your own words, I can write my own words there, but I can't make, nor do I want to make anyone do anything except stand behind your name. Sign in and say what you have to say. No anonymous bullshit.

We are coming from so many different backgrounds, here we should give each other the benefit of the doubt when we talk about things. If you feel that you need to challenge someone on their opinion, then do it, it's ok because you speak only for yourself, not the whole anonymous group.

These two words help when I read something I don't understand on a public forum. Is this a subjective or objective issue?

Words in a forum are an objective issue.

Formulating a response to them is subjective until it becomes objective when we put our response down in words.

Gees, I hope this is going to be a short war.

What do I mean by that???

Best to you all, I mean this.
On 2003-03-20 13:04, ARAB wrote:
Adam-yes I see what you and chris have said, there is a few good racers of years past from Europe, Are you guys putting words in Vlads mouth by makeing these statements?

Because he just mentioned "All Time"

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:02 pm

Good argument Vlad. However, These results were over 10 years ago.

If you had seen me 10 years ago you would not recognize me as the pinnacle of slalom fitness that I am today.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:21 pm

On 2003-03-20 14:48, Vlad Popov wrote:
I’d like to explain why the External Validity of the 1990s European Race results is higher, but I don’t think I’ll be understood.
Vlad,
Is not "Vladidity" what you meant to say? :wink:

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:08 pm

Good one, Brian!

(humor begin) 10 years ago I still peed in my pants and sucked on my thumb. If I met you back then, my mom would have probably asked you to help her wipe my ass (humor end)

The point is -we've heard about "them", we've read about "them", we tried to get close to "their" existing record. We can meet AND race "them".

If the mountain doesn't come to you, you have two choices:
  • Come to the mountain
  • F*ck the mountain

Essentially, that's the core of the current slalom US-EU, EU-US, West-East and East-West interactions. The only difference is the bias.

Adam, this discussion forum seems to serve its purpose well. We have many nice guests who make it more fun. When there are no stakeholders to worry about, discussions are indeed happening. Thanks for the forum!

Glenn,
maybe I shouldn't be using external validity term, because it is the extent to which the results of a test translate in real life, i.e., how much extrapolation can be done.

The term that could be used here is Power.
If you happen to capture a podium in Burke's race, what's its worth? DC races? Californian races? Swiss races? The more STRONG slalomers from all over the world are present at the race, the more powerful the results are.

This is, again, subjective. But one's subjective feeling of accomplishment supported by subjective feeling of respect of this accomplishment all over the world is worth more then the objective gold medal of the Burke's slalom championship in which I raced Slappy and no one else came because we announced it a couple of weeks in advance and thoughtfully scheduled it on the day of the Moro Bay race.

PS Today is a good day to kill...time and boost the ratings of..... this forum.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:37 pm

Vlad, about ten years ago, I started writing letters by hand to JG, Jani, Deiter and others about slalom skateboarding. I did it because there were no other slalomers around. It was cool to get back a letter from Switzerland after about a month and it was tough to decifer (sp?) some of the wording, but I always got the point.

Now we have forums like this one and that one. We can talk across the globe almost in real time.

I enjoy these topics and I respect what everyone has to say, even things I don't like to hear. When these posts are respectful, then I try even harder to understand the other persons point of view. This is a neat thing to do, sometimes I even learn a little bit about about things that are not even connected but are useful.

We are brothers in this, Chris, Arab, Vladdy etc. It's nice.

I'll be at Elsinore to take pictures, write a story and experience this brotherhood in reality. When I get back, I'll bring it here.

Peace to all of you in these hard times.

adam

P.S. Sorry to invade the D.C. forum, it's Vlad's fault.

*grin*

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:38 pm

Vlad, I hear what your saying. I am going to make every effort to attend the Swiss race. Only race I currently have on my schedule for June is Dave's in WV. So why not go to Europe.

I hear the ladys in Switzerland love fat Americans.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:06 am

First warning, Mr. Trahan! Apologize one more time on the forum that you’ve created, and your apologies will be deleted.
Wish I could go take pictures at this race, but I’ve spent all my money on Pee-Vees instead of a new camera…

Brian,
Great! You know, I think it’s a two-way thing. The more people come from overseas and the more nations are represented – the more incentives there are for the hosts to make it right and to put an extra effort in the organization of the race and post-race activities. It promises to be BIG.

And speaking of BIG:
Big people=more beer=more fun. Oh, and you go downhill faster! The Swiss like that!

Swiss guys, what kind of beer will be served?
Or is it up to you, Chris?
May I suggest.......s...r.----------------lost connection--------

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:09 am

Both Europe and America have produced great slalom racers. Attempting to compare racers from different slaom racing generations is futile. It's much easier to do if you
are comparing pole vaulters for example, even then you would have to rate the
pre-fiberglass pole guys against the
post-fiberglass pole guys.

It's similar to those videos you can buy comparing football or baseball teams from different eras, I have always thought they were very lame.

I'm just stoked that so many people are racing at a high level today.