DC Sessions

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:38 am

bye-bye :D
Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:37 pm

Mike, I checked the marine forecast and it’s expected to be knee high. Wind is shifting on Saturday to NE from SW. Assateaque was just an idea. I have never surfed there but I am told it is a better longboard wave. Fewer crowds.

I spoke to LBK and he may be able to go on Saturday. Are you open on Saturday?

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:51 am

Dave Riordan,

Any chance of hiring you on Sept.7th for the Adams Morgan race? We need a timekeeper as Bob is already committed to the WV race that same weekend. We haven't even decided yet if we are going to have it and probably won't make a call until July 31st, but knowing we have someone who could work the timing will help with the decision. Hit me at 202-607-1495.

The organizers also expressed an interest in having a slalom event Sunday on California St. They just paved it a week ago. It's very fast with no run out so it's probably out of the question but you guys can do what you want with it. Anyway, call me.

Anthony

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:33 pm

Anthony, we missed you at the Rye race. Jim and Peirre Drove to Manchester Airport but couldnt find you. Did you get lost? TK

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:08 pm

Hey Vlad,

I will try to make it on Sat. to RFK at around 11:00 just to tool around, but it depends on how my knee feels. I'd also like you guys to check out the DNC parking lot.

Anthony! My knee's better, but I pushed it a bit too far on Saturday, so it needs to rest for a bit. But I will be back in action soon, after some more rehab.

I also wanted to reiterate my thanks (see NCDSA events) to you all for Saturday, especially PA Dan and el Jefe Bozi for letting me try their gear. It was really great meeting such a nice bunch of dudes, and much thanks to Brian P. for organizing it all.

Sunday surf sounds great, if there is a serious chance of surf. I've gotten burned way too many times on East coast ankle-slap shorebreak.

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:01 pm

Hey TK,

Sorry about that. I allowed a female to throw me off my game. The lamest excuse in the book. Anyway, I'm going to make it up to the Canadians and if I see you again, beer's on me.

BTW, is there any video anywhere?

Anthony

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:10 pm

There is a Freedom soccer game there on Saturday night and a Farmer's Market during the day.
It shouldn't be a problem because:
1. they can't park on the track
2. who really goes to see women's soccer?

The track is in Parking lot 6 and 7 at RFK just off Oklahoma and Benning Rd.

It's kinda ironic to be riding it this weekend. It was one year ago this weekend that the 'inaugural' Grand Prix race was held. The promoter's went bust and the race has been cancelled leaving DC with a $5 million dollar track.

DC Sports Commissioner's response in the Post:
"The race provided us with an excellent opportunity to rebuild a parking lot that was in serious need of major work and its use for the race was a bonus."

...good to see the DC government still smokes crack.

RFK From National Airport
Exit National Airport following signs for I-395 and 50 West to Washington. On George Washington Parkway take exit for I-395 North. Stay on 395 North, across the Potomac River, for approximately three miles. Once past the Maine Avenue exit, stay in the left lane of the freeway. I-395 will exit to the right to the Capitol and Senate buildings. Do not follow I-395 North; stay left for the stadium. Proceed straight ahead in the left lanes to the exit at Sixth Street Southeast and Navy Yard. At bottom of the ramp go left at traffic light onto Sixth Street. Stay on 6th Street for .05 miles to Independence Avenue. Turn Right onto Independence Ave. and stay on Independence for 1.1 miles to 19th Street. Turn Left onto 19th Street and travel one block to East Capitol Street. Turn right on East Capitol to the stadium.

RFK From Union Station
Go East from Union Station along Massachusetts Avenue. Continue past Stanton Square on Massachusetts to Lincoln Park (at 12th Street). Go around Lincoln Park to East Capitol Street and turn right onto East Capitol. Follow East Capitol to stadium.

RFK From I-66 and Constitution Avenue
Follow Constitution East past the Capitol to Maryland Avenue. Turn left on Maryland and go two blocks to Stanton Square. At Stanton Square, turn right onto Massachusetts Avenue. On Massachusetts, follow directions as from Union Station.

RFK From I-95 /B-W Parkway and Baltimore
Follow I-95 South (merge with I-495 towards Virginia). Exit onto the Baltimore-Washington Parkway south towards DC-OR- simply follow the Baltimore-Washington Parkway south towards DC. On the B-W parkway, follow the signs towards I-295. Take the East Capitol street exit.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:33 pm

Walker tonight, anybody. It's going to be a nice night.
jeff

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:42 pm

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:48 pm

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:53 pm

Oh, ye suburbanites, heed my words. You can also take the Metro, and save a lot of hassle negotiating D.C. streets. take or transfer to the orange or blue line (runs from suburban Virginia and Maryland so you really have no excuse) to Stadium/Armory, get off, cross the street, hey, you're there!

I would say bust factor will be minimal, but the security tends to come out when there is an event at RFK. They are nice, but they have a job to do. Also, the farmer's market is a pigsty. So, I'm just preparing you for the possibility that it might really suck. But at least I can show you all the DNC lot.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:12 am

Anthony,

I'll pencil in Sept.7th on my calendar w/ the Adams Morgan race. I'll talk to the Crew about a slalom thing on Cali street. I can see a slalom demo race even though there might be some sketchy foot drag stops.

Mitch,

My wife errased your message but I think you are up to us doing the Adam's Morgan Slalom race. I think we can do it.

Brian,

Saturday is not going to be the best for trying to sneak out of town to the beach. Next time I'll be able to go......

Ohm,

I was hanging out at East Coast Board Shop today w/ Doug and Robbie Roberts. We got to get ECBS to start selling slalom gear and sponsoring some Northern VA slalom races. Oh and did you see ECBS has one of Ed Economy Street Rider's up for sale.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:24 am

Hey Vlad,
Is setting up a Trakmate timer a possability at the RFK track? Maybe Brian can let us use his.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:08 am

I might just sweep on down for a $5 million track.

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:32 pm

Dave, I'm going out today to scrounge for change. I've got a few meetings with potential sponsors for the downhill event. Even if that race doesn't go down, a slalom race / demo on Sunday is pretty much a given. The road is already closed and they (organizers) have already asked about it. So, SOMETHING will happen that weekend.
As far as RFK goes, I'll be there tomorrow. I'll probably ride Metro but if anyone doesn't feel comfortable driving to RFK, they can meet me in Adams Morgan (check out California St. hill) and I'll lead from there.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:11 am

Is RFK still on for tomorrow (Saturday)?

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:20 am

On 2003-07-18 22:11, WesE wrote:
Is RFK still on for tomorrow (Saturday)?
Sorry Wes, everybody that posted yesterday has secretly decided not to ride tomorrow around 11ish at the RFK Grand Prix racetrack at Parking Lot 6-7 (directions above).

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:28 am

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:48 am

Wes E, Hard times??? What happened? Did john Gilmour do something to Wes E at Rye Airfield or in Boston???What the hell is going on? I thought something was fishy when Wes did poorly last week at the race. Wes, what is going on. Vlad...Anyone???

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:59 pm

Sheesh,
I thought maybe I had a good day. But seriously, folks. The winds were kicking up last Saturday; sometimes up the course, sometimes from the side. I'm sure that someone of Wes' body weight is much more affected by wind resistance than some of the more, shall I say, aerodynamic, of the DC crew.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:38 pm

Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:19 am

Sorry I missed out today. Too much to do getting ready for the big W day. By the way, any of you guys who'd like to attend the pool party are welcome. Floor(sofa) space available for crashing. Just let me know. It is BYOB (No liability for my mom), the pool is cool, and the tunes, well I don't know, Tammy's older than dirt...I mean older than me!!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:45 am

You guys that missed out on the RFK track, REALLY missed out. There is not a better surface anywhere. Of course, it will still be there next weekend - and that’s where I’ll probably be on Saturday. I want someone to bring a timer out there that everyone can use.

Dan, I didn’t know that you and Tammy weren’t married. When is the pool party?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WesE on 2003-07-22 19:08 ]</font>

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:27 pm

Doug and I are thinking about coming out to Virginia tonite to ride Quebec St. He says it's capable of delivering speeds in the 45-50mph range. Anyone know what he's talking about? I believe it's in Arlington. We'll probably head out after 8pm. Anyone want to join us, call me @202-607-1495 or Doug @202-262-2360. We'll have extra leathers, moto helmets ans speedboards.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:53 am

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:54 am

Can I race if I make my own planker?(also known as DC Decks) The come with striped grip tape!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:36 am

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:09 pm

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:47 pm

100% American?

So, Vlad, what are you doing Saturday while everyone's skating?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:11 am

Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michel Temoche

Post by Michel Temoche » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:06 am

My girlfriend lives in Adam's Morgan and has been going to some of the meetings for Adam's Morgan Day. She hadn't mentioned California street. The message I left the Kook was about Wyoming. That street has also been repaved. The runout could be a turn up 18th street. Sorry I missed the last race, I've been out of the loop, working. Pumping the RFK race track this weekend sounds cool. Could probably lose 10 pounds or so in the heat. Bring plenty of water and Gatorade.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:42 pm

Walker tonight?

JB

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:31 pm

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:35 pm

I any body can't come I will just skate around home somewere.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:13 am

Mitch,

Could two racers side by side at full on speed make the 18th turn from Wyoming w/out risking a crash?

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:38 am

Sorry guys, I can tell you now, they won't allow you to go beyond the end of Wyoming (or California). They would have to shut down a part of 18th and that won't happen. There are booths right outside the haybales and people pay $500-$2000 a booth. That's a lot of revenue. As far as a choice of road, California is much more forgiving. If guys can't footbreak, they should'nt mess with Wyoming. Learn to footbreak!!

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:47 am

Good news regarding the street options. Vernon St. is being paved this week and it's probably a better choice than California St. or Wyoming. It's not as steep and I believe the booths end before that intersection, possibly allowing more space for breaking. There is a meeting Wednesday night if anyones interested.

Vlad, sorry I got there late. My ankle was tweaked so I hadn't planned on doing much skating. I had my new video camera with me and planned on filming you guys. That shot would have been worth it's weight in rubles. Ahh, the one that got away. Got some nice clips of Wes, Chris and Rene as a consolation.

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:34 pm

anybody down for some action this weekend?

the wife's away, so I have to fill my time "productively".

DNC/RFK?

I'll probably go practice at the DNC once I make my new board, prob. around saturday.

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:02 pm

That would be cool to be able to slalom at Adam's Morgan Day this yr....I could also help out, Anthony.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:15 pm

René, A large contingent of the DC area slalomers will be in NY at DaFarm race this weekend. Dave Riordon might be up for slaloming at DNC if he is around, but he is usually pretty busy. Build yourself a couple of boards. I saw your topic about building boards - The bevel idea is fine, just leave the plys in the top half intact for edge strength. Personally, I wouldn't do it on a 5/8" deck, but would on a 3/4 one. The multiple front holes are the way to go (as seen on all my decks).

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:35 pm

thanks Wes!

if anyone feels like getting schooled in swerve by this here canuck Saturday or so, post up or shoot me an email at rehayden@hotmail.com

or, if anybody feels like hitting up the Chas. County skatepark this Friday noon, also let me know (subject to change due to employment).

just kidding about the schooling part. I suck, and have no cones. If no one shows, I will be running pathetic beer-cup slalom!

--okay, looks like I will be running nothing 'cept my mouth. a whole lotta rain for the weekend. Hope New York is better for the racers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rene Hayden on 2003-08-01 20:47 ]</font>

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:52 am

Earth to Wes, Earth to Wes..........check your e-mail ;-P

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:06 pm

Getting to DC has been a huge problem for me the last two Saturdays (the traffic has been horrible).

Two weeks ago I just turned around and went back home. It destroyed my mood to skate. Last week I made it to RFK But I either couldn’t find you all or you all had split by then. If somebody wants skate in DC this weekend nine or ten AM would be a lot better for me. I do have some cones but just 28 last time counted.

Michel Temoche

Post by Michel Temoche » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:02 pm

I was thinking more single slalom than duals, possibly accomodating a narrow runout lane up 18th street, close to the curb away from the booths. I've been working saturdays, not much skating.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:42 pm

I take it there's no outlaw practice this weekend?

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:38 am

Parsons, Myself, LBK and LBK's bro Steve made it to OC/DE for some much needed surf. Waves were waist high and choppy. I hate storm surf but it was great to get wet. We ended up at Indian River Inlet where there was some protection from the winds and surfed until we dropped. Stay tuned for the next road trip. Anyone can come but we aren't responsible for any drownings.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:54 am

Do you know you guys have SEVEN pages worth of chat. DC is the Slalom Mecca. T

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:38 am

And we're growing!

Dave Riordon and John Dillon had THIRTY girls that had never skated before running cones on longboards after two hours of lessons.

I had the priviledge of being the videographer.

Mid-Atlantic skaters are MASSIVE!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:36 pm

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:49 pm

Tonight at JAXX. Duane Peters and the Huns!
Anyone game? Call me...703-930-1044