DC Sessions

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Anthony Smallwood

Oakwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:17 am

I get my son tomorrow so we might be up for Oakwood.
I know he wants to go to the Checkers contest at Van's but we should be able to squeeze in some runs.

I'll call you tomorrow

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:12 am

Anthony (and anyone else interested), Mike Ohm and myself have decided to ride his Tysons spot at around 1pm to about 3pm rather than Oakwood. Give my cellular a call if you want to join us and need directions. I'll have an extra slalom board for you to ride.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:05 pm

Tyson's sounds fine. See you guys later.

Jack Quarantillo

Riding Giants, today @2PM, Bethesda

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:11 pm

Kinda short notice, but Bertleboy and I will be hooting at the Bethesda Landmark. (And avoiding rain)

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Films/f ... p?id=39936

Anyone who cares to join us, feel free!!!

Call my cell 301.793.9412....

Q

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:30 am

you guys...how do you like skating ditches? Because i have the most perfect ditch ive ever seen in real life a mile or two from my house. Its 7 or so feet tall with 6 feet in between walls with perfect transition and small holes where pipes empty in but they arent a problem. The only problem is that it will have to not rain for a while since there is a big pond that overflows into the ditch. I rode it today on a board i dont care about with water in the bottom but it was the best ride ive ever had in a ditch. Its nice and long and turns right then where it goes under rte. 50 theres a hip and then the other side still has a wall to run out after hitting the hip. Its a very nice ride.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:33 am

Anthony,
There's a small ditch in Germantown that we skate pretty often. It is almost always dry, but not too big. Pretty fun, though.

You got any photos of your ditch?

Q

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:20 pm

Do I smell an Outlaw banked slalom race?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:32 pm

Anthony Smallwood,
Where and when should I meet you today?

Your cell phone acts as it it is turned off.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:53 pm

Anthony Flis,
I like riding ditches very much.

The one you are describing sounds great. I’ll hit you up about it sometime next week, as I will probably be away this weekend.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:13 am

define the term ditch

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:34 am

We are using the word “ditch” to refer to a water diversion portal, usually made of concrete.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:42 am

search around for pics of "the bear" or "indian school" ditches. I think the website ditchesaredeadly.com has pics of these and many others. If you watch the gravity video flow they have race footage of the bear race and some cruising in the indian school ditch. Theyre both in new mexico however...

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:43 am

Jack,
Here's a "ditch" closer to home:

More pics if you like...

Q

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:24 am

Awesome, where is it Q?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:00 pm

I'll give you directions on Saturday.

Q

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:22 am

Congratulations to all the DC Outlaws that went to La Costa, It looks like Y"all did real well! Any takers on a practice session at Walker Friday evening?

Jeff

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:42 am

Can we get an oakwood session going soon? I know that me and danny and probably jimmy too would love to go out and ride there with you guys bombin like we have no brains...me and danny have been doing drafting and passing lately working at it for the dc downhill race.

John Dillon

Friday night: Walker Session!

Post by John Dillon » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:53 pm

I'm in....since I haven't done slalom around cones much this summer...just been doing slalom around kickflippers at the skate parks....What time?

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:06 pm

John, If you were talking about Walker I was thinking around Nine-ish Hopefully we will have a good crowd. Maybe mike will come and set one of his killer courses!

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:13 am

I will be there. Be ready. Farm training.

Anthony Smallwood

No DC Race

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:02 am

Sorry Anthony, there will not be a race in DC this Sept.
The festival organizers have decided to suspend all events on Saturday in deference to Sept 11th and I can't argue with that one.
We still have interest from Verizon as sponsors so maybe we can do a fall classic.
We should still train on Van Dorn anyway.
Let me know when it's a good time for you.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:43 am

Anthony, take verizon for everything they got and get the pros out here to race cuz me and danny were looking forward to this so much and i think we might just continue riding as if the race was still coming up anyway and ill still order my flys and rockin rons and we'll have a good old time and hopefully youll put together a race or there will be one close enough that we could go to. I'm thinking oakwood this weekend maybe? I have to see what days danny is working first.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:08 am

Walker is on my Friday evening to-do list. See you guys there.

I’ll probably be open for Oakwood session sometime.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:42 pm

Hey guys I will try to be there around 9ish.

I need to practice. Top 8 at the Farm.

John Dillon

Walker tonight and Ga on 9/11!

Post by John Dillon » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info, Anthony...sorry to hear about the non-9/11 race in DC this yr....so I will have to try to get to 66's race in Ga then...if I can swing it.....farm training this eve...c y'all there. PS: Green Skate Lab needs fill dirt!

Frank Scheib

Anything @ P & R Tomorrow?????

Post by Frank Scheib » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:29 am

Is anyone doing a session practice or otherwise at Gburg tomorrow???

Brian how was Pink Leather accepted at La Costa???

Frank.
Frank

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:58 pm

Anyone up for a 4 to 6pm session at Tysons SSS.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:31 pm

Mike Ohm wrote:Anyone up for a 4 to 6pm session at Tysons SSS.
I am. See you at 4.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:48 am

Hey im thinking oakwood on sunday? any takers?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:23 am

Anthony Flis wrote:Hey im thinking oakwood on sunday? any takers?
Dang, AnthonyF, bad timing for your Oakwood session. The 1st Slalom Division of DC/DC will be at Das Farm race in CT this weekend and the 1st Speedboard Division will be at TopChallenge in Montreal Canada.

Have a good and safe one if you session at the 'wood anyway.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:49 am

I work all weekend Tony. Sorry man, I'm open tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be super duper.

Anthony Smallwood

Van Dorn

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:33 pm

Anyone up for a Van Dorn/Oakwood session this weekend? OCC would be nice as well. WesE, where'ya at??

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Re: Van Dorn

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:22 pm

Anthony Smallwood wrote:Anyone up for a Van Dorn/Oakwood session this weekend?
I am all about hitting up the ‘wood, probably Sunday afternoon, after getting in some crucial pre-Breck slalom practice.

Heck, I'm up for hitting OCC sometime on a weekday too (AnthonyS, see if you can get at least a third person who can drive us back up the hill).

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:17 am

Don't forget that Brian's next DC Summer Outlaw event is scheduled for this Saturday (August 14th) at the Park and Ride.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:48 pm

I have Saturday blocked off, with P&R racing the first half of the day and the All-girl Longboard Session the second half.

I’m looking for slalom practice sessions to do on the first half of Sunday, before I hit up Oakwood in the afternoon.

Tysons?

Mike Ohm, Is Walker a Sunday-morning-spot at all?

Mike Ohm

sessions

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:58 pm

WesE, Walker is great on Sundays. Very quiet. Although this weekend looks like Bonnie and Charlie may drop several inches of H2O.

Hurricane season has begun.

Surfs up!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:27 pm

Sunday doesn’t look so bad though for skating. Slalom and various downhill practice are my main goal for this weekend, but I wouldn’t mind beating myself up learning to surf the swell on Saturday if rain is ominous. Will they rent surfboards out during hurricanes? (or does anyone have a board I can borrow?)

I also need a cheap wetsuit in mens size-S.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:46 am

Hey guys, this fall/winter (after im done marching) I was thinking we should start a dc outlaw downhill series. There are a lot of guys from silverfish that live in virginia that would probably make the trip and theres all these people in this area. After that one attempt by anthony smallwood to start the downhill racing it wasnt really tried again. That had a big turn out as well. If you guys have some input/suggestions or anything at all feel free to speak your mind. I really just want to race downhill and have a craving for speed and drafting inches apart at 35+ mph because there is no thing in the world that i have experienced better than that feeling. Plus i havent hit speeds above 20 in the past few weeks cuz of marching band so im getting ancey and thought id start talking about this.

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:23 am

Hey Anthony, you should throw a race somewhere as a school project.
I'll show up but I don't want to help. ha ha ha ha
I just want to race.

I was thinking about that OCC race and what a ridiculous disaster it was.
Then I remembered that we had over 20 people show. That's pretty unbelievable to be honest. How the hell did we get that many people?
And when are we trying it again?

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:15 am

Throw a race as a school project? HA ill do it for fun and for racing purposes forget school...I thought id throw this idea out now so i could see how much interest there might be in attempting an actual race. I know we could get a few people then others would follow then next time and so on. We need a good hill though that has little or no traffic and long enough for drafting and passing. I also have marching band starting now and i go to marching camp all this week and Ill have marching competitions every saturday for a month and a half or so once school starts. I think that me and danny could "organize" a small local race or something (i dont know if dannys really on board cuz hes in AZ). We got him a fullface helmet the other day and all and plan on getting some leather jackets soon too. I know of a hill that is real sick and pretty technical at lake fairfax park too but thatd be a bit sketchy to have a race there and would have to wait until summer is over so theres not a lot of crazy picnicers and all. More comments?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:18 pm

Anthony Flis, I think Anthony Smallwood's real point was that, if you're going to put on a race, you may as well find some way to benefit from the effort at school as well. Why not? Event organization is one of the things that Boy Scouts can do for their Eagle projects. Planning an event, recruiting volunteers, promoting the event, organizing, delegating and eventually managing the whole thing are skills that adults will give you credit for.

Anthony Smallwood

racing

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:26 am

Andy knows what I'm talking about. It's probably easier for a bunch of students to throw a race than us "professionals". People love to back students efforts and I know it first hand because I bought $12 worth of cookies from a co-workers son that I'll probably never eat. Still, it was nice to support their project.
I think you guys should try and start skateboard teams at school.
With the declining popularity of stick-and-ball sports, it's not unrealistic.
Draw up a proposal and a budget, and see what happens.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:24 pm

bye-bye :D
Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:41 pm

I almost went to Walker last night but decided to go to my local practice spot. I got kicked out after about an hour.

Mike Ohm

walker

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:40 pm

Vlad, sorry I didn't make the session last night. Please forgive me!

See you in Breckenridge! Call me if you need a ride at the airport.

Kyle Bozi

school project?

Post by Kyle Bozi » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:29 am

hey all

anthony flis, holding a race for a school project would be sweet. if there is anything you and danny need help with then ill be glad to help (though im not sure how much help i would be since i live in a different state, but lets think positive :-D) i think it would be great if this worked out.
maybe start by gathering local kids and have them write some letters to the administration about how much they love skating and racing, and then try to come up with a way to have the school get something out of it too. like a fund raiser?? anyhoo, ill cya guys at the next outlaw race after breck, goodluck to all who are going!!
silly flippy boarders

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:29 am

Hmmm...at my school they have a skateboarding club bu the moderator of the club left so I dunno if it still exists. And they usually just went to skateparks and there were no longboarders in it. I only know two people that skate longboards at my school including me but I think I could pull something off(My brother is best friends with the Vice Principle's son)

I'm slowly getting all the equipment I need and everything.

I think holding a bunch of oakwood sessions would be a good start. I have my brother to drive me places now too. And I believe Seth has a bombing setup now too.

I was thinking about the OCC thing and maybe we could get somebody to drop us off at the insertion point we picked last time and just bring all our gear. It'll probably take longer but wasn't the main thing that got us busted last time was all the cars parked alongside the road?

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:57 pm

Walker today, at three. Be there or be square, Ohm? Vlad? Parsons?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:21 pm

bye-bye :D
Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:51 pm

Sounds cool. What time? I'll bring cashola with me!