DC Sessions

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:33 am

Thanks, Wes!

Should someone post these to Jani's Contest Calendar Thread? or are we more "under the radar" than that??? (they already have TG IV)

Q

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Bad Information Stopper

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:44 am

Correcting bad information just provided by WesE...

The 4th Gathering: Peace, Love and Pavement is on Saturday, May 1 and Sunday, May 2, 2004, not on April 30. I guess Wes just decided to add a day.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:52 am

Mebbe Wes is already thinking about a "Pre Gathering Warm-up"?

Q

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:06 am

Jack Quarantillo wrote:Mebbe Wes is already thinking about a "Pre Gathering Warm-up"?
That's exactly what I meant. We've had something going the Friday night before the last two Gs. We might as well call it a 3-day event for us in the DC area.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Granted

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:45 am

Wes, I can appreciate what you're addressing, but the Friday events before The Gatherings are not part of The Gathering, and I don't want people to start thinking they should book flights so as to be present for a Friday event that I have no plans of providing. Just because people have fun at someone else's event, piggybacking along on the night before The Gatherings, does not make that event part of The Gathering and does not give those who've enjoyed previous pre-Gathering Friday night events any right to simply announce an extension of the dates of The Gathering. Wes, you want to throw an event on Friday night? You go ahead and do that. However, to use my efforts to make that event more successful or attractive to racers is pretty ballsy.

Let me see... WesE? One of the Directors of the USSSF? Nope. Ever really helped set-up or run a Gathering? Nope. Ever really helped to set-up or run any significant racing event? Nope. Ever even show up on time for a significant racing event? Rarely. Often makes things far easier for race organizers? Nope. Ever authorized to make schedule changes or schedule change announcements on behalf of the USSSF or The Gatherings? Nope. Balls big enough to anoint himself a decision-maker in the whole situation and then act publically upon that decision? Apparently so. Wes... next time ask, don't presume.

I know that this is going to make me sound like a total downer, yet again, but I'm not in favor of the events on Friday nights anyway. As much fun as they might be, they tend to keep a not insignificant number of Gathering attendees out so late the night before The Gathering starts, any plans made for Saturday morning at The Gathering seem to get compromised in the process. The result is that Friday night's event is not so much "in addition to" The Gathering, it's "instead of" Saturday morning at The Gathering.

There will be some provision made for this complication at The 4th Gathering, but I still find it unfortunate that the Friday night-thing has actually manifested itself as being in competition with the efforts of those who are working to produce the larger, older, more well-known event on the weekend.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:58 am

Wow!
Q will respectfully remove himself from the center of something he has no opinion, or history on...

Lemme know when the smoke clears...

Q

btw, I'm really psyched that I live so close to the gathering that it is a no brainer... I'm there

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:05 am

Andy! How long did it take you to write that? I agree with Jack here. I'm not going to touch (nor read) any of that. See you around sometime, maybe.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

David Riordon

Slalom Skateboard Slumber Party

Post by David Riordon » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:11 pm

WesE,

I'm going to announce a night before the Gathering event, the first "Slalom Skateboard Slumber Party" where we can stay up all night talking about slalom skateboarding, changing wheels, putting on new trucks, cleaning our bearings, and doing Slappy's hair. Then I say we don't go to sleep at all so we can be first ones at the Gathering the next morning.
lbk

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Heavy Doody

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:34 am

Gentlemen,

I'd like to begin by apologizing for the angered tone of my last post. I regret the fact that I didn't delay or temper my reply (Wes, it took me about 3 and a half minutes to write... why do you ask?), because now, the fact that I can be a real jerk will become the issue rather than the other very real issues included in that post.

Q, Please understand that, although I was barking, I definitely wasn't barking at you.

Wes, I was bummed when I thought a mistake had been made in your posting an incorrect date next to a T4G heading, but became downright pissed when your next reaction was a justification rather than what it should've been... an apology. Your last post, attempting to completely recuse yourself from the situation is just absurd, considering that it was you and your actions that precipitated all that has followed. I also have no idea what, "See you around sometime, maybe." means. Is that a threat that you might not come to my events and be a total pain in the ass? So, I won't have to deal with you being disagreeable over whether you're going to wear your number on the front of your shirt, the color of the cones, or whether you'll be ready to race when it's your turn to race. Ouch! Hurt me.

Oops! Now that I've gone and done it again (act like a total ass), I really hope any interpersonal issues I might be having with Wes, won't distract too much from the questions I've raised about the pre-Gathering, Friday night events. Dave, it's not my intention to be unappreciative of the efforts that have made these events successful. I enjoyed last year's Friday night race as much as anyone else, staying, pretty much, until the end, and think the Slumber Party may actually be the best way for me to actually get through the weekend. However, last year the Cyber Slalom Cup was scheduled for first thing the next morning, and as late as I'd been out the night before, I had to be (and was) there on time for that event to be ready to start pretty close to on-time. Unfortunately, that event was delayed anyway, wasting the better part of two hours of a beautiful morning, as much of "the field" for the CSC was missing and most of those present were arguing for a delay.

Actually, we haven't faced this situation before, because in previous years we've had rain or wet pavement first thing on Saturday morning, but my primary intention for the Gatherings has always been about getting as much slalom into the weekend as possible. Those wasted hours on Saturday morning felt very unfortunate to me at the time, and I've since decided to focus the events of Saturday morning at T4G on junior and children's racing. That way, Friday night revelers can arrive later in the morning or toward midday, while Saturday morning can be used to emphasize family racing and some specialized, junior level racing.

David Riordon

All of Us Are a Pain In the ASS

Post by David Riordon » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:17 am

Andy,

We are all on your side, including WesE. We are all also pains in the ass, including WesE. So we all will be at the next Gathering enjoying the scene. I know what it is like trying to put together an event and at times we (who put on an event) get stressed out. Just ask John Dillion, he had to put me in my place a couple of times at the Vintage Day last weekend. John just kept on reminding me that why we were hosting the event is for all to have a fun good time.

Now lets get this thread back on to sessions.....

......John Dillion is looking at skating a Sunday 10am to noon session at Vans. Skate for a couple of hours and then do some holiday shopping afterwards.
lbk

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:18 am

So, I still have an unanswered question...
Jack Quarantillo wrote: Should someone post these to Jani's Contest Calendar Thread? or are we more "under the radar" than that??? (they already have TG IV)
Andy,
You know me and the little Q will be there for the early stuff, I've gotta set him up with a board that he can pump on...

Q

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:02 am

I've popped a continuation on the 'Gathering' thread.

Anthony Smallwood

Van Dorn Downhill Day Dec. 14th

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:05 pm

If anyone is interested in giving stand-up or street-luge a try, this is the time and place. I'll be riding with Bob Swartz and probably Dr. No and a few others on Sunday December 14th, high noon to sundown. We have extra helmets, leathers, speedboards and street-luges. The road is about 1/3 mile with plenty of runout space (it actually goes uphill) and is basically one big right-hand sweeper. A Super Duper Giant Slalom is possible if one feels the need. The road is actually called Oakwood Dr. and it parallels the exit to the Beltway. I believe it's the first left at the top of Van Dorn, just past the Day Inn hotel on the right. All first timers are welcome, it's just a fun session, nothing intense. Call me at 202-607-1495 for more info.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:40 pm

bye-bye :D
Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anthony Smallwood

Van Dorn

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:35 am

Ah...a nibble. Hope you make it Vlad. And I hope you bring some of your compadres. This is the place to ride your skateboard faster than you've ever ridden it before, with a high level of safety. And the streetluge is ton's of SAFE fun.
Geezer X, where'ya at? Slappy, feeling better? Rene, need a ride? Parsons gets a pass (for the next three years) but we sure hope to see a couple of the slalom guys.
A 20-25 cone monster GS could be set up with no interference to the gravity vehicles' lines. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of you guys can beat me on a big GS. Ha Ha, just kidding!
But if we do set a BIG course and run times with stopwatches, I'll give a DCDC t-shirt to anyone who beats me. I know you guys are laughing at the prospect but it won't be THAT easy!!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:52 pm

Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:03 am

I'll be there.
That hill is scary as crap if you start from the top.
Has anyone ridden it lately? The last time I was there the housing development was getting close to being finish at the end.

Anthony Smallwood

Van Dorn

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:46 pm

Slappy,

I was there with Dr.No about a month ago and it was pretty vacant. Anything can happen in a month though, so I'll check it out this weekend. Some people have suggested building a bonfire but I think that's pushing it. The cops showed up once and basically said we were cool to ride since we all had safety gear on, so there shouldn't be any hassles.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:23 pm

Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:06 pm

There shouldn't be any traffic on a Sunday.
The only real traffic on Saturdays are construction trucks. They aren't that frequent but dump trucks can make it interesting.

Jack Quarantillo

NE1 up for Vans tomorrow afternoon?

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:38 pm

Considering Lansdowne is prolly snowed in,

Me and bertleboy will be hitting Vans tomorrow afternoon....

If anyone else wants to skate, let me know. If you need a ride from Gburg, again, let me know...

Q

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:39 pm

Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony Smallwood

Van Dorn

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:44 pm

The weather is supposed to be crappy this Sunday, and if it is, we'll cancel the downhill session 'til early January. Bitter cold air doesn't count. If it's dry out, we'll be there. We'll probably ride until 3pm so people can get home to watch the Redskins game.

Anthony Smallwood

Van's

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:53 pm

No downhill today obviously, but me and Beastie are hitting Van's from 12-6, if anyone wants to ride.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:31 pm

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:54 pm

Hey Anthony,
Do you think with your DC Sports Commission contacts you could look into us being able to train in RFK? You could say we are a real club that is in training?
Also didn't you mention they told you there was an unused velodrome in the basement of the stadium. I wonder if it could be used for banked slalom?

I set up a deck for Oakwood Rd. So I'm ready for a dry weekend.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:59 pm

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:15 pm

It now goes to 10.
HHHHHMMMMMMMM.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:05 pm

10!

But can it go to 11? 11 is MUCH stronger than 10. ;)

Actually, Spinal Tap references aside, it looks like the 9 is still the kick @$$ version. 10 just a "jubilee" version, weighing it at the same level as the 4...

Q

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:11 pm

Whats a velodrome?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:26 pm

Jack Quarantillo wrote:...10 just a "jubilee" version, weighing it at the same level as the 4...

Q
4 is dark. 10 is light porfume. 3 is urine. 0/1 is water. 9 is a double kick. 5=8=1=0 (+ some porfume). 3=7.

Two times nine and who cares that the Caps lost to the Wings!

Go Capwings!!!
______Wingcaps suck!!!!
____________Go Capwings!!!
___________________Wingcaps suck!!!!

Velodrome

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:48 am

Thanks for the breakdown, Vlad. I was basing my assessment on alcohol content alone, as I've only tried the #4 and #9. I had a 9 the other night, and it kicked in nicely...

As for the velodrome, it may exist, but without an arena (like we care), cuz I read about a 2012 olympic bid for DC/Baltimore where one of the things on the list that they needed to add was a velodrome.

I'd love to skate in one of those things...

They'd have to have "Left" (clockwise) and "Right" (anti-clockwise) sessions to keep everyone from running into each other.

Q

Anthony Smallwood

RFK

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:50 am

Well Slappy, it won't hurt to ask. Are you talking about inside the stadium itself (flatland??) or on the racetrack? Coming down the walkways inside the stadium would be wicked itself. Maybe for a Giant SlalomCross or something.

As far as the velodrome goes, it's buried in the basement of the Armory in a bunch of huge pieces. I believe it was purchased from the University of Connecticut or somewhere else on the East Coast. I'm not sure why they bought it but it was offered in early race negotiations. They just wondered if we could do anything with it. I should try and make an effort to check it out. I'll call and try to set something up after the holidays.

Parsons, what are you doing on the computer?? I told you to go get some sleep while you still can! A velodrome BTW, is an indoor, circular, banked bicycle racing track, or something like that. Probably won't really be of much use or interest, but worth a look.

Jack Quarantillo

Re: RFK

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:48 am

Anthony Smallwood wrote:A velodrome BTW, is an indoor, circular, banked bicycle racing track, or something like that. Probably won't really be of much use or interest, but worth a look.
Are you kidding? I shouldn't have to explain this to you (being that you are a surfer at heart)...

I'd be like an endless wave. Although I'm not sure what the transition is like...

Drop in, bottom turn, and pump and pump, top to bottom, swoop through the "bowl" section of the turn, and keep going. I'm sure if you got the hang of it you could ride till your legs gave out.

Q

Anthony Smallwood

Velodrome

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:14 am

Yeah, sounds like too much work for me....

Now, if it would spin left I could pump it right off my backhand, THAT would be cool. How about a cylinder like Upland that spun counter-clockwise....you could ride up the face, slash it, then ride down against the spin, then ride up, slash, repeat! Real concrete surfing, 'cause in surfing, unlike the static mediums of skating and snowboarding, it's gotta be moving!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:22 am

I hold the same level of excitement about it as Jack. It could be like a big, continuous, Revere-like bank. There is loads of potential here. I just talked with Anthony about it. The problem is that it is just the banks, broken down and in storage. Man, if we had an indoor place to set this up at...Woowhoo!!! Surfing the banks and slaloming the flat middle section! Oh well...as usual, I am clueless as to where to do this hobby during bad Winter weather.

Edit: Imagine - We could put cones on this thing and have a totally roots banked slalom! My heart is aflutter.

Veh-loh-dromehuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-->drool!

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:03 am

While we're dreaming...
Velodrome with an inner bank the same size...

basically an oval half pipe

Q

Anthony Smallwood

Velo

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:35 pm

Now that, I would be into. This whole velodrome-buried-in-the-basement sounds like a caper, which I love, so I'll get on it after the holidays. Jack mentioned the need for a velodrome for the 2012 Olympics, which probably explains it's purchase, but the bid however, went to another city, most likely rendering the velo useless. Could be interesting.....

Eric Wallgren
Geezer-X
Geezer-X

The old velodrome hoax

Post by Eric Wallgren » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:19 pm

I was emplyed in the bicycle industry in the DC area for ages, and raced on the road as well as track for quite a while. The nearest velodromes are in Trexlertown PA, in the Lehigh Valley, and a scary old pockmarked asphalt beast in Kissena park in Queens, NY. You'd get flats from needles on the racing surface, seriously. The story of the portable velodrome in pieces in the basement surfaces occasionally. The problem is that an Olympic velodrome is 333.3 meters in length. Also, there's some stipulation that it be made of poured cement. I'd just stick to Lansdowne. I suspect it would work better for what we're trying to do.

Now, the idea of indoor practice at the DC armory or the old convention center...That's pretty cool.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Indoor practice

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:10 am

Once upon a time, my brother had a storage bin at an indoor rental storage place that was essentially two warehouses long with an interior, 8' wide, basically level, seamless concrete walkway down the center. It was a self-service, 24 hour facility, so I used to borrow my brother's passcard and go over there at night, and skate, flat and straight for hours at a time. It was a long time ago. I wonder if that place is still in business. It might be worth renting a storage unit.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:06 am

nice idea, andy...

We need some creative solutions.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:59 am

secret skatepark that is for only those that have a key. like this, only on a much smaller and less public scale autumnpark

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:12 am

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:32 pm

What about a area indoor roller rink? Have never been to one before. Are they big enough for cyber? Just a thought.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Roller rinks and storage bins

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:05 am

Jeff, most roller rinks (and dry ice skating rinks, for that matter) are actually quite small. I think most ice rinks (and roller rinks, for some odd reason) are the size of a regulation NHL hockey rink, which I believe to be 200' long x 85' wide w/ rounded corners. A full cyber slalom would leave a skater with very little run out space, although running across the rink diagonally would buy a little extra. A 20 cone course would be feasible though.

As for the storage bin... I kind of let my memories run away with me a little. Back then I was one of about ten slalom skaters that I knew of in the world, and I was always skating alone. Looking back on it though, I'd have to imagine that there was some kind of resident manager on the premises, and there's probably no way we could get away with multi-skater sessions or slalom parties. I will check the place out, next time I'm in the right neck of the woods and report back here.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:51 am

what about building a long concrete path big enough for a slalom course to be set on in the middle of no where or in the woods somewhere?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:11 pm

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:56 pm

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:05 pm

Vlad,
That's a good price...

But this weekend, we're off to Philly...
Will be on a hill nearby (Philly) on Saturday.

Q

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:19 am

Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.