DC parking garages

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:02 pm

I think we should start getting together a good resource of parking garages in the DC area for practicing and backup race venues.

Here's a few to start...

Fairview Park Area - This is an office park area right off the Beltway in VA at the RT. 50 intersection. The tallest building, Verizon, has the best garage. Very fast concrete with fairly long ramps for running slalom. It has about 5 levels and an elevator. I've never been busted riding it with cones. There are about 5 more garages within skating distance if there was a bust.
The only one that seems to have security is the Marriott Hotel.

GWU Hospital Garage- This is more for just fun, speed and carving. It has a spiral in the center that is fun to bomb. It is just a block off Pennsylvania Ave near the Foggy Bottom Metro.

We should find some near the G-burg Park & Ride for a backup.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:21 am

Slappy,
I think that's an excellent idea. Might there also be some other structures that could be used? I'd guess that the Metro stations would be a 10 second bust, but with all of the transportation infrastructure in the DC area, would there be some tunnels that might work?

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:28 am

Yeah, what makes a Metro station more of a bummer than bust is the floors are all tiled.

There are some nice tunnels under the Capitol that go to Senate and House office buildings. I think there might be just a little tiny bust factor.

Actually Crystal City would be a great place to check.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:27 pm

Slappy, there is a parking garage that is 2 minutes from Walker Lane. It is behind the new Safeway in Kingstowne. It is actually pretty good. About a 7 for surface. Good grade and usually empty. Longboarding would be the best.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:29 pm

I found a really good spot for practicing tight slalom in inclement weather. There is a pedestrian tunnel that goes underneath I-395 from Pentagon City to the Pentagon.

Mike, it's the same lot Vlad and I met you at a few months ago before riding the Grand Prix site at RFK stadium.

It looks like it could fit around 30 - 40 cones .