10/23 (8am-Noon)Memorial Arlington Skate Session for.....

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

John Dillon

10/23 (8am-Noon)Memorial Arlington Skate Session for.....

Post by John Dillon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:23 am

Phil O'Donnel,aka Mr. Phil, whose life was cut short on Tuesday by a negligent SUV driver while he was enjoying the beautiful weather on his motorcycle.

I just skated w/Phil this past Sunday at Arlington....where I practically always saw him. He was skating w/earlybirder Rick Northrup when I got there. Phil was an Arlington Skate Park local whose vocal grinds on the pool coping in the big bowl could be heard from the parking lot. In fact, after he would annihilate the pool coping he would then catch some backside lappers on the metal coping beside the extension and then proceed to rule the spine. I had a fun time skating w/Phil this past Sunday and he will be missed immensely. If you are not sure if you knew him, he was the one who often wore double-capped Pro-Designed knee pads. He was a big, husky, bald-headed roundwaller who always padded up and he ripped! One of the nicest guys too....he'd always help you out if you needed help.

The viewing is Friday 10/21/05, 6-8pm, at DeVol Funeral Home
2222 Wisconsin Ave
NW DC
(6 blocks south of the intersection of Mass.Ave and Wisconsin Ave, just outside Georgetown.

The funeral is at Noon on Saturday 10/22/05 at St Anne's Church
4001 Yuma St
NW DC
(this is 1 block south of the Tenleytown Metro Station)

John Dillon

Reception after funeral is at 9:30 Club Sat 2-4pm

Post by John Dillon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:59 pm

Location is 915 V St NWDC. Mr. Phil will be missed.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:08 pm

So sad to here about Phil he was such a nice person to skateboard with. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Phil, his family, and especially for his fiance Caroline "Puck" Deutermann.

I was introduced to Phil by his fiance, Puck, when she was skating at the first all-girl-longboard session that the DC Slalom Crew taught a few years back. Phil and Puck were a neat couple to have around the Washington DC skateboard scene. Just this past summer Phil had recovered from a broken ankle he had gotten while skating a backyard pool (aka the pond) and Puck was getting over a blown out knee from a bad downhill session spill.

Wish I could make it up for the funeral but I'm up in PA this weekend. The next time I get to skate the Arlington Park, I'll have to show my respects for Phil in the bowl. Later this winter we will have to make some stylish turns in his honor on our snowboard.

DR
lbk

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:15 am

R.I.P., Phil.

Life is such a precious thing. I know some of you are motorcycle enthusiasts, so I urge you to limit that activity to the racetrack or other controlled environments. Because no matter how safe you are when you ride a motorcycle, on the street, the probability of other drivers being careless and not seeing you is too likely.

My dearest sympathies to Phil’s family, Puck, his friends and the extended family that had the pleasure of skating with him. We all miss him and the life he brought to our sport.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Barry Siegel

my condolences

Post by Barry Siegel » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:21 pm

do not believe I ever met Phil, but still a sad event. My sympathies to his loved ones and friends.

===
Barry