I-83 Baltimore Slalom Race....

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

John Dillon

I-83 Baltimore Slalom Race....

Post by John Dillon » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:56 pm

Hey folks!
This past Sunday during the Jones Falls Festival in Baltimore, the north-bound lanes of highway I-83(yea, the one that goes north to PaDan's house) were shut down at 7am until about 2pm for a footrace, a bike race, & then for everyone to walk,jog,run,bike, inline or skateboard for several miles from the Northern Parkway exit to downtown. Well, Ken Delaney & I skated there w/our slalom boards and longboards and we set up 50 cones in the exit lane just before exit 8...and we raced for about 3 hours there. We encouraged anybody to run through the cones and about 200 people or so did so...mainly on bikes....but all the longboarders who just happened to skate by did so also...(about 3 groups of them)....as did several folks who rode our boards through the course...special props to Abbey who skated w/us on our boards for about an hour in sandals AND she made the course. Ken & I met with the organizers of the fest and they want us to throw down a race next year....hopefully, we can work out a race using the 3 additional traffic lanes(run a dual head-to-head race)...then we would be the only folks on the roadway...or stay in the exit lane and run a single lane....bombing the hill from the top was fun. The hill is about a quarter of a mile long w slight uphill runout...........keep your fingers crossed for this event next year this time! even after the race we could occupy the exit lane and run an outlaw race and let others try it out for fun too! Road surface is excellent.

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:14 pm

i thought of you as i drove byt that the other day, damn i wish i would have come out