DC Downhill Outlaw Race Sept 10th or 11th/TBD

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Anthony Smallwood

DC Downhill Outlaw Race Sept 10th or 11th/TBD

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:33 pm

Doug Dupin and myself are hosting a downhill event next month to keep with the tradition of having a race in DC in early September. The Adams Morgan race won't be happening as there are new promoters and they are having a hard time organizing the festival itself.
It's just as well, because we have a new hill that's much better than 15th street. And the best part about it is the fact that it's closed on the weekends. We used to train here years ago but the surface was barely tolerable, even though the set-up is really sweet.
The good news is they just repaved it. We are checking it today so I'll post back with a report.

It's a nice straight that sets up for a big right hand sweeper that straightens for a few feet then goes into a tighter left hand sweeper, which sends you down a nice, long straight.

It's a road anyone can make, and the serious folks can get rolling with a hard push and a tuck.

The part that might interest the slalomers is the long straight at the end. It seems like a nice spot to ride cones. I'll report on that later, after I check it out.

BTW, the hill is named Sherril Rd. and it's past the tennis center.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:32 am

I am so there...

Got any pics?

Anyway we can get out there sometime soon this summer and give it a go?

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:45 pm

what about the slide contest? is the hill fast enough for long/multiple slides?

Anthony Smallwood

sweetness

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:57 am

Had a quick session today and I'm happy to report that we have a baby GMR in our Nation's Capital. This place is truly excellent for slalom, downhill and sliding. Pavement's about a month old. Plenty of parking. Road closed. Hell yes.

A session has been set for Sunday August 14th.

We'll probably start a fall/winter downhill series with the first event on Sunday, Sept.11th.
Downhill for sure and slalom if you guys want to be involved. You could set a tight, a GS and a slalom cross, no problem.

Go to an online map and find Sherrill Rd. off 16th street NW. Black Mamba baby!!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:32 pm

Anthony, !!!:D!!!

PS. Runout-no runout?

Anthony Smallwood

runout

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:02 pm

It's got a nice, long runout and you have to cross a bridge, but the expansion joint isn't bad at all. You can footbrake easily but we usually blaze thru the gate at the bottom and turn on to Beach rd.

If anyone wants to check it out next weekend, Doug Dupin will probably be available to ride. I'm pushing for the Farm, so Aug 14th will be my next session.

I'm totally excited about downhill/slalom again! yippeeeeee!!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Hey, Anthony,

Just one thing: i found SHERRILL DRIVE with MapQuest in Rock Creek Park off of 16th NW. I hope this is the street you are talking about?

A search for "Sherrill Road" comes up empty. So I zoomed in and just followed 16th north until I found something close. On the map is looks like a "S" curve road connecting 16th with one of the thoroughfares through the park.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:30 pm

Backwards "S". If you look at the Rock Creek park maps it is listed as Sherrill Dr. while Yahoo maps lists it as Sherrill Rd. Sherill Drive is part of Rock Creek park. I've got to check this place out.

I did some searching and found that there is a legit connection between the park and r-bladddders. Check it out, there is an organized group http://www.skatedc.org that teaches how to bladdddd there. Wonder if a legit longboard, slalom, and speedboard thing could be had there. Why not, most slalomers dress just like r-bladdders---bunch of kooks.

LBK
lbk

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:33 pm

I used to skate there every week. For 4 years.

Anthony Smallwood

duhhhhhhhh

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:05 am

Hey WT, could be "Drive" not road. Leave it to a dyslexic.

I just saw a concert listing at a club in Adams Morgan featuring Wes Tucker. Why didn't you tell us you were performing??

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Re: duhhhhhhhh

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:21 am

Anthony Smallwood wrote:I just saw a concert listing at a club in Adams Morgan featuring Wes Tucker. Why didn't you tell us you were performing??
That's weird. I live in the small town of Summerville. About 20 miles away is another small town, Walterboro. There used to be a guy over there named Wesley Tucker who had a country/rock-a-billy band. I never met him but I understand that he died a few years ago. I wonder if his act is still playing east coast gigs using the old name? It would be strange to find out ANOTHER guy with the same name has a band.

My nephew is over at Annapolis and he's a killer trumpet player, and I, of course, carry a trombone around and have a piano in my living room I use as a buffet server. All these Wesley Tuckers with music in their blood.

And then there's me with music kind of close but not really making much of a difference.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:13 am

If me and Anthony were to come in from the metro which station would we get off? What time would the session be? I need to know so I can get off work. So stoked...

Anthony Smallwood

it's far from a metro

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:49 am

Danny, It's probably best to catch Red line to Dupont Circle and ride with us from there. I guess 12-1pm should be a good time to start. I can take you guys on a neighborhood tour afterwords, or go session Fight Club if you have the time. You can be back on the train by 6pm. Of course, all others are encouraged to tag along.

Mike Ohm

sherrill rd

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:36 am

I checked out Sherrill Rd today. Re-paved with lots of curves. Didn't skate but will skate it soon. It will be a sick place for a Downhill. Definately a spot to bring Cliff Coleman to to slide the curves.

Anthony, is the gate closed at the bottom on the weekend?

Michel Temoche

Sherrill

Post by Michel Temoche » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:24 pm

Anthony or Doug do you guys still have the movies online that you guys took there a few years ago? That place would be great for a killer GS or Super GS. Maybe some tight ass duals at the bottom of the hill. So is there a session there this Sunday?

Anthony Smallwood

~~~~~~

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Mike,

The gate at the bottom is closed on weekends. We push it open a little bit to allow a wide passage on to Beach Drive.

Mitch,

Doug let his site expire but I'm going to host the videos soon. There was some good clips from Sherrill among others. Yes, we are sessioning on Sunday. Are you coming out?? We will be bombing but I'd love to run some cones if anyone brings some. It would be fun to set up a Super GS.

Michel Temoche

Post by Michel Temoche » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:30 am

We're coming out, out of our closet, out on street ... I haven't skated much since my slam on 15th street. My hip is still a little swollen on that side. I did get up and make the course the next run, but I was in alot of pain that night. I started reffing soccer again after a long break this spring. It might be time to get out and skate again. Skateboarding definitely hurts alot less than playing soccer, unless I slam. I'll just have to learn to fall on a different part of my body.

Doug Dupin

bombing Sherril Drive

Post by Doug Dupin » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:31 am

Our informal reintroduction of Sherrill Drive will start tomorrow Sunday at noon. There is a picnic area at the bottom of the course on Beach Drive or plenty of parking on Aspen Rd? across 16th street. We'll probably run a couple sessions for sizing up the hill in preparation for the DC Downhill in September. I'd like to have a final run tomorrow using the upstreet section of Aspen and turning the corner at the bottom of the hill onto Beach drive. Bring your light but sturdy protective wear tomorrow. It's gonna be hot. When I say noon tomorrow I mean noon. With tomorrow's heat, we're probably only good for four or five walks to the top. So don't miss the first couple ones.

DougDupin

DC Downhill Race Saturday Sept. 10th

Post by DougDupin » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:41 pm

The race is going to be this weekend on Saturday at 1:00 pm- Rock Creek Park, Sherril Dr. next to Walter Reed. The race will have open class (free), and a pro-class that will cost $10 that goes to the winner take-all. Please rearrange your excuses around the new change of date - from Sunday to Saturday