Lansdowne Banked Slalom-Sat Sept 3, 2005

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Wed May 25, 2005 1:27 pm

Just announced! Who is in besides me?

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Wed May 25, 2005 3:25 pm

you know im there, im bringin some of my friends too,

John Dillon

We are taking swag for this event so.....

Post by John Dillon » Wed May 25, 2005 8:31 pm

cough it up if you want the publicity and if you wish to support our event. All donations of swag will be cheerfully accepted. It will be a fun one nontheless, and, if you act right now and before the 30th of May, you can take advantage of SW Airline's special fares to Baltimore's BWI, which is just a few minutes from Lansdowne! To make this event even more palatable, come to this event on Saturday sept 3rd and then afterwards drive down to an event in WV(on Sunday the 4th sept) that hasn't been officially announced yet to race flatland slalom. 2 events in 2 different states makes for an eventful wknd! Are you manly or womanly to do it?

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Wed May 25, 2005 11:20 pm

i soooo missed the last one and was very disappointed by it. i think i can give cabbage a run for his money. i'll definately be there and i'll be rollin' deep... sucka.

Mike Ohm

the downer

Post by Mike Ohm » Thu May 26, 2005 2:02 am

Nino, you'll have to go through me to get to Cabbage. I think I got 2nd by .2 last race. Maybe you ought to pinch yourself and wake up out of the dream you are having. Ha!

The Downer is mine this time!!!

Anthony Smallwood

what a downer

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu May 26, 2005 2:49 am

Bastards! Gonna be in Montreal for the Top Challenge that weekend. It doesn't get much better than a banked slalom at the downer.....hmm, Ohm, Nino or Cabbage?? That's a tough one to call and doesn't even count the many others, but my money's on Ohm. Cabbage has a bunch of kids now and has probably lost .2 seconds worth of time ha ha ha.....Dillon, I'm calling from Canada saturday night to get results. I'll also try and get some swag for ya.

Somebody film that sh!t

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Thu May 26, 2005 3:21 am

ok ohm... you're talkin' smack? i don't think i've seen you ride the downer. we'll see who brings the goods....

John Dillon

That's right keep up w/the smack...

Post by John Dillon » Thu May 26, 2005 7:17 pm

maybe we'll have a smack talking rap session before the actual race too? Collect some swag, everybody! East coast to attract some of the Euros too....2 diff races for one flight plus car rental....the other race to be announced officially next week....Great Things Are Happening in '05! No slackers or sandbaggers!!

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat May 28, 2005 2:08 am

Hey, how about a P-n-R Race the following day?

I'll run it as long as I can borrow a timer.

And maybe some help with bracketing?

Andy, are you available for course setting? That would be Sunday Sept. 4th.

Or I will set the cones if necessary.

Dan
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Mike Ohm

downer

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:11 pm

John, I just realized the race is on Labor Day Weekend. Was that on purpose?

John Dillon

Yea

Post by John Dillon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:49 pm

Yea, so people could travel here.....in some ways that is good, in other ways, it is bad as people may have other plans....other plans? Then switch them...it's a lot cheaper to go to the beach the following wknd!

Cabbage

Dreamweaver

Post by Cabbage » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:25 am

Ohm,

"Nino, you'll have to go through me to get to Cabbage. I think I got 2nd by .2 last race. " This time the downer is mine."

sure it is Ohm, you put it best when you told nino, " Maybe you ought to pinch yourself and wake up out of the dream you are having. Ha! " maybe you should take your own advise..... I'm play'n I am stoked to hang, and Anthony, wrong answer, chasen 2 kids, makes you faster, and remember my theory, mass equal motion.....I have been work'n on the mass thing, and I sk8 lansdowne once a week....

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:33 am

I predict another 1st for Cabbage.
Mike if you take him down I'll treat you to some cheap American beer!
Some of those younger guys were killin' it today though.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:30 pm

This will be a fun time for all.....I'm working on the mass thing too like Cabbage...I hope everyone will come out & have some fun....hey, PaDan.....am I younger than you? I thought the birthday boy, Nino, was looking quite fast, plus he brought friends that don't skate Lans that much....and they were looking good too! Cabbage, despite his short leash, looks to be the man to try to take down.....but he's quick...I hope he's feeding his sons broccoli!

Mike Ohm

corned beef

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:31 pm

John Dillon, can you post some directions to the downer. We may have some out-of-towners coming!

Cabbage, bring it!

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:58 pm

Ohm,
Have out-of-town friends point their favorite internet mapping service to this address:

3326 Bero Rd.
Lansdowne, Maryland 21227

(left after last townhouse on Bero Rd. is the entrance way to "Sandy Hills Park" aka Lansdowne)

Q

Anthony Smallwood

and the winner is....

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:25 pm

Nino, Cabbage and Ohm?? Bertleboy's taking all of you down.....

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:21 pm

Here's the waiver. Get it notarized if you're not 18.

http://resources.co.ba.md.us/Documents/ ... waiver.pdf

Q

John Dillon

Yo Out Of Towners!

Post by John Dillon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:44 pm

You are the man, Q! Thanks for finding that....the other site was down....Under 18s download the waiver from previous post have parents sign it, get it notarized, bring it to Lansdowne Sat morn to get free skate card. Also, dont forget your elbow and knee pads and your helmet! Peace! Skate Park opens at 10am. Who will be crowned King? Queen?You got to pay the piper to find out!!

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:33 pm

gottat skate! hope to see you all there bright and early. first run's mine....

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:25 am

ill be derrr. JD I may have some skaterbuilt or vans swag for ya...

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:07 am

Final Placings:

1st: Cabbage

2nd: Ohm

3rd: Dillon

All my pics are here: http://public.fotki.com/PADan/lansdowne_05/
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:10 am

Damn, can't get the photo posting shit right!!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:02 am

Do I get a special award for this?

Q

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Broken Navicular?

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:28 pm

Were you wearing wrist guards? If not... no award. I am, however, sorry to hear you got hurt.

See that big bone sticking out to the right side of the x-ray? When I went down at La Costa in '01, I made all but the stump ends of that bone disappear in a haze of bone dust. Nasty. Can you say, "disconnected thumb"?

Mike Ohm

B'more

Post by Mike Ohm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:16 pm

Another classic battle with Cabbage. We traded first spot a couple of times then Cabbage closed the deal. I ran out of gas on my 3rd and 4th run and he took the first spot again. Not sure how to beat him on his home turf but I can't wait to try again. Watch out for Noah too.

Thanks John Dillon/ Team Fun for another killer race at the downer. Thanks Q for keeping times. Sorry to see the injury to your hand. Hope it's not your right hand.

Cabbage

right on

Post by Cabbage » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:45 pm

wow, what a fun day... thanks to everyone that helped, that sucks Q! Ohm you rule, I love battling with you, nice to see your family LBK. Thanks Dillon, you also were tearing the course up.. Some how the stock Buttons 32 with stock gravity bearings, gets the job done again, thanks to gravity for giving me the tools to get it done... Can't wait to see everyone again, Nice pics PA Dan, also Iowe you a cold one, sorry about leaving the wounded soldier in the back of your truck, I remembered it was there on the drive home.. opps.. anyhow rock on slalom sk8ers...I'm back online so I'll talk to you soon.. Thanks for the shots PA Dan.... and now that makes 6 straight banked slalom wins.....bring it west coast me and Ohm are ready for ya...ha ha..

Jack Quarantillo

Re: Broken Navicular?

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:41 pm

Andy Bittner wrote:Were you wearing wrist guards? If not... no award. I am, however, sorry to hear you got hurt.
Andy,
I always wear wrist guards. Would hate to think what things would be like if I hadn't been wearing them.

I still had a fun day. Even got in a few runs including a double with Bertleboy in the bowl. I'll be on the sidelines for a while, so if anyone is organizing a DC race, let me know, I'm getting some timing skills. MUCHO props to BP & Mr & Mrs KMG for doing it so many times. It takes lots of concentration.

Q

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:12 pm

That race looks sweet. Way go TEAM FUN You can bet Team Fatboy will be there next time. Great pics PA! Thanks for sharing.

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:55 pm

sick skating all day yesterday. everyone killed it. the battle for 1st place was classic! john dillon, don't underestimate him, he's fast. i give mad props to Noah, he couldn't really pump the snake run at first, but he totally got in the top 5, i think he was faking it at first ;) i totally DQ'ed my last run, but had fun. it was good to see lots of heads at the Downer, lots of new and old faces. we had a raging skate party at Dude's, we rocked the basement ramp all night until the beer was gone.

can't wait for the next one....

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:24 pm

Another fun time at Lansdowne...skaters from MD,DC,VA,PA,NY,NJ,DE,and OH showed up...about 40-odd entries in the banked slalom....the Biggest crowd thus far trying to be crowned THE KING OF SPEED. Mother Nature bestowing upon us a beautiful day...sunny 70s in the morn to low 80s in the afternoon, w/low humidity(a rarity in these parts at this time of year).Well, despite Califronia-like weather, Cabbage takes the title again and he makes a plea for those from the west coast to step up and try to grab his crown. Mike Ohm made the race a close one by squeeking by Cabbage on his 2nd run, but then Cabbage, after being re-charged from chasing his son,Mason, around the bowl, pours on the steam and overtakes Ohm in the 3rd run of the jam format, 75-minute contest. I manage to hand off the bullhorn to LBK to maintain 3rd throughout the 3 runs(on a 43.75"Powell NoKaOi longboard), while Noah(from NJ) takes 4th in the jam, with Dale(hailing from Cleveland,Ohio) grabbing onto 5th place in the jam. In the end, the top 5 racers took one more run to try to dethrone Gravity's Cabbage. The wind picked up and everyone had a slightly slower time. Noah & Dale traded places since Noah DQ'd........and Cabbage was crowned King of Speed...the banked slalom speed demon! Way to go,Cabbage!

Many thanks to all the Baltimore County Parks & Rec, Lansdowne staff: Steve, Chuck,Joan, & Ron, all the Surfrider Foundation volunteers, the DC Outlaws, Brian Parsons:for use of your timer, WesE:for bringing the timer, all the SkateparkOfBaltimore volunteers: for getting the word out and for all your help,LBK:for setting up the timer and working the crowd with the bullhorn while I raced, everyone who donated swag: Skaterbuilt(via Seth),Eastside Skate of Confusion,CW,Basement Boards,Balzout,SkateparkOfBaltimore,etc; Cowtown Chris: for getting this started, all the skaters who showed up to experience a different type of skateboarding, all the spectators, the parents who drove their kids out, the wives and infants who accompanied their skateboarding husbands and dads, and for all the kids who didn't ask me when the ollie contest was going to be held. I'll post all the times when I have more time. Thanks! Let's do it again real soon!! Oh yea, many thanks to Q, who told me that he'll record all the racers times on the sheet since he's sore....turned out he broke his wrist during practice. I do remember seeing him skating in the bowl contest later in the day...even doing a doubles routine w/his son, Bertleboy. Thanks,Q!!And heal up soon!!! I hope to see you all again real soon!
1st Cabbage21.65
2nd Ohm 21.86
3rd Dillon 22.67
4th Dale 23.23
5th Noah (22.94)

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:39 pm

Man, i missed a good time, i was in jersey for a wedding with my girl. But ill be out next time.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:14 pm

If I had the time, I'd like to learn how to make good videos. Maybe when I retire. In the meantime, lame vids only take about 4 minutes to make.

http://home.comcast.net/~slalomracing/lansdowne.wmv

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Great Video!

Excellent Soundtrack!

Looked like it was a blast!

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:26 pm

I just posted the full results of the banked slalom on ncdsa, slalom forum...now, let me see if I can check out Noah's vid......btw Noah: You skated awesome despite not being a park skater! Same w/you, 13! Thanks for coming down and supporting the event!

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:35 pm

Dillon...I enjoyed the race more than I expected. I can't wait until the next lansdowne banked slalom. This was my first banked slalom and I'm stoked on it now!

John Granlund

Banked Slalom Flunkie

Post by John Granlund » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:54 am

This is what I get for not checking the Forum enough... Man, to have been there with my camera totin' kid! Sure looks like fun! When's the next one? Weather is great!
Daddy G

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:14 am

Daddy G,
Watch this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=3036

Q