GSL Fundraiser

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Anthony Smallwood

GSL Fundraiser

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:26 am

The GSL is in desperate need of a big bag of loot. The DCDC is hosting a fundraiser the night of the Fountainhead shindig with all proceeds going to the good cause. It's going down at 916 Blagden Alley NW DC. There will be live music, food, raffles, auctions, art, chicks, dudes and most importantly, remnants of Vans park (RIP) situated in the freshly-bricked alley.

Concrete Wave will be there, so come get stupid for the camera

more to come

**this party is outlaw and is in no way affiliated with GSL / ECRW Foundation**

**enter at own risk**

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:34 am

Hey Anthony or any other gsl guys...I'm curious if you ever need some entertainment for one of these events for either cheap or free just tell me and ill get my band to play because we are looking for gigs and we rock. Literally cuz we play some hardcore stuff but we are looking for some places to play and i thought that this was worth a try...

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:08 am

due fountainhead AC/DC is gonna rule, all day and i guess now night of skate fun, im just curious how do you throw an outlaw party?? anyway later dudes

Anthony Smallwood

sounds good....I hope

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:14 am

Anthony, I'd love for you guys to play at this party. It's possible but I have to talk to the owner. Right now we have Millionaire Reverends and possibly Lost Tribe, plus a local rapper/skater. I imagine one more act for a few numbers wouldn't be a problem. Are you guys willing to come into DC? The warehouse is very close to the 14th Street Bridge and really easy to find.

All who show, suggested donation is $10 but feel free and willing to kick out more

Chris and Terry and everyone else who has contributed have done an amazing job to get it as far as they have, and time is running out. C'mon folks, show up strong and give support.

Plus, we can get all jacked up blabbering about the "killer runs" and "death stares" we had at Fountainhead. Probably even watch the footage of the day. I'm stoked.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:24 am

Anthony Flis,

Who was it that said, "Punk Rock isn't dead, it just sucks"?. Well it might suck but I sure miss the punk rock days. The better comment is, "Music today isn't dead, it just all sucks". Bling Bling........

BTW, how about doing some "surf guitar" stuff. Check out bands like the Atomic Mosquitos http://www.atomicmosquitos.com. I guess I'm getting old and slow and kind of like that sound. Other surf bands can be found at http://www.surfmusic.com/surfband.html.

So when are the NOVA Bombers got to hit the cold hills and go snowboarding with me and my punk kid brother Steeb (he is 21 yrs old). This Saturday we will be either at Whitetail for the wide open runs or at Round Top for the half pipes.

DR

Anthony Smallwood,

What is the status on GSL? How much are they in the hole both money and time wise?

DR
lbk

Anthony Smallwood

GSL

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:56 am

Dave, I believe $8,000-$10,000 is what's needed to complete the project, which is mostly concrete expenses. We're hustling and I believe we can get it done. They raised $2,000 on a Wednesday with a simple set up of a bar and big-screen playing skate videos. It would be good to match that on March 5th.

There is then going to be another fundraiser, this time at "5" two weeks later, then
I'm organizing an art/photography show and sale two weeks after that.

If we could collect $2,000 average per fundraiser, we're almost there.

Brian, I put "outlaw" in the title with the hopes of confusing Vlad, Ohm, WesE and others.
It would be cool if that crew showed up. Plus, Gilmour said he's coming and he's bringing a NE longboard crew.

I believe we have to be done by April 22nd or they crank up the dozers

It's a true work of art of the highest standard. Be a part of it.

Rene Hayden

gsl

Post by Rene Hayden » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:12 pm

Yeah, you all should go down and take a look at the site. It's now completely enclosed and they've started doing the forming for the inside transitions. You can really get a sense of what it's going to look like, which is fricking boss. All that's left before crete are the transitions, some outside wall buttresses, and the stage.

Come on down to Langdon rec center (it's in the back with the dirt) 20th NE just off of Rhode Island Ave. And take a peek.

It should be really fun (if it gets done).

Anthony's correct. I think the the 'crete is expected to be around $15,000, and I think they've raised around 4 thou. But if you want specific numbers you have to ask the folks in charge.

Landspeed (or airspeed--I forget which) skate parks has offered to fly out and in a week do all of the pouring, etc, . I don't know if that's still going to go down. We have to get the concrete, rebar, and remesh first.

P.S. has anyone seen the exhibit on concrete at the building museum? It's pretty frickin cool.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:31 pm

Anthony,

Not sure if this will help but in the District (not outside of the city), Surfrider has been given free kegs of Foggy Bottom beer through participating bars that are willing to fundraise for us. Basically, Foggy Bottom is attempting to promote their beer by donating a keg or kegs to a bar for free. The bar then sells the beer at a special rate like $4.00. Surfrider then gets a donation of 50% of the beer sales. Foggy Bottom for some reason can only do this in the city limits.

Give Foggy Bottom a call and let them know that you are one of the founding members of the DC Chapter of Surfrider and that you are friends with Darryl Hathaway (he set the deals up in the past). I bet that they would donate beer for any of the GSL events. Last year they were donating kegs for happy hours for all kinds of groups of people.

Foggy Bottom Microbrewery's Contact Information:

The Olde Heurich Brewing Company
1307 New Hampshire Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20036
202-333-2313
http://www.foggybottom.com/
lager@foggybottom.com

Also keep me in the loop on all the the events. If you can, go onto the http://dcsurfrider.org/ blog and submit the events so we can have them posted up for the Surfrider chapter members. Lastly, we might be able to donate some art for your show/sale. I would just have to get an approval from the rest of the DC Chapter executive board.

Thanks for your hard work on the GSL project.

Good Luck,

DR
lbk

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:34 am

I just realized that march 5th might be a little early for us to play but we are musically awsome its just wed have to work like crazy. I was thinking maybe something in the later future if possible if you guys need an act. Thats also if you done mind having a ridiculous metal band playing :) But yeah the Fountainhead shindig will rock and then of course the outlaw party that will follow will rock although im not sure if i will be making it to DC. And i wish that the nova bombers could hit the slopes but I just dont have time. If im not at school playing music there im at home doing homework or playing music here. Ill try and make a donation to the GSL at the ACDC.

Anthony Smallwood

la musica

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:06 am

Just got a message from Jaime Stapula of ECRW fame, and he reports "Lost Tribe" has comfirmed playing on the 5th. They are from Va Beach and include skate legend Henry Guiterrez. Word is they play like they skate, POWERFUL

Anthony Flis, I'm having a problem logging on to silverfish, so could you post a message letting people know that if they don't have a helmet, don't bother showing up. I talked to some dude who said, "we don't have helmets because we're crazy"
Seems like he's got a quiver of boards but can't "afford" a helmet.

Let all clowns know the circus is over that way>>>>

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:35 am

this thing is shaping up to be awesome, but im gonna need directions to fountainhead from BALTIMORE, and also i really wanna party with you guys that night in dc, but i may need a place to crash, seeing as, hard partying and driving form dc to baltimore dont mix. anyway later guys.

Rene Hayden

Beer beer

Post by Rene Hayden » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:27 pm

Anthony, on the beer tip, you may also want to speak with Jason, who is the brewmaster at Gordon Biersch.

He's a damn cool guy who's been out to the GSL a bunch of times.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:59 pm

I'm confused------- See my post on the "AC/DC" thread.
lbk

Rene Hayden

Easy Peasy

Post by Rene Hayden » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:20 pm

Senor Riordon,

As Mr. Flis explains.

9 AM slalom set up and racing till noon at Fountainhead

then a downhill sesh at 12 for those who like to partake of adrenaline cocktails

Then party on Garth at 7 'round Antoine Petitbois' digs

As for the AC/DC name, that's in the beginning of said thread. All Crazy Dudes Crash, or Atlantic Cones/Downhill Convergence, or just Ack! Dick! which is what will be heard a lot in the pack racing, no doubt.

Fundraising for GSL was proposed as an option at AC/DC, and Anthony had the good idea of staging a par-tay so those of us not in traction have somewhere to gather- uh, converge- and talk about how RAD we were. I'm willing to accept donations on behalf of GSL for those not able to trundle up to DC on Sat night. All donations are tax-deductable as they are now an official non-profit, but you might have to wait on the receipt.

Anthony Smallwood

directions

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:55 am

An Experimental Evening of Architectural Re-Interpretation. Lostribe &
Millionaire Reverends will jam out(probably starting around 9pm).
Highest Wall Ride Contest - you win nothing! $10 suggested donation for
local skatepark. Hosted by D.C.D.C./friends of ECRW..........
Directions

From Virginia:
Traveling north: Take I-95 to I-395. Take I-395 north to Washington, DC.
Take the 12th Street, NW/Downtown exit from 395, and take 12th Street
north to M Street. Turn right on M Street. Party will be between 10th
and 9th Street NW in Bladgen alley. Park far away & be low key.

Traveling south: Take I-495 to I-66. Take I-66 east to Washington, DC.
Take the Route 50/Constitution Avenue exit. Take Constitution Avenue
east to 12th Street. Turn left on 12th Street to M Street. Turn right on
M Street. Party will be between 10th and 9th NW Street in Blagden alley.
Park far away & be low key.

From Maryland:

From Maryland points North of Washington DC: Take I-95 South to the
Baltimore Washington Parkway toward Washington. Take the New York Avenue
Exit. At 5th Street stay to the right, it will change to L Street.
Travel on L Street and turn right on 12th Street. Take first right on M
Street. Party will be between 10th and 9th Street NW in Blagden alley.

From Maryland points West of Washington DC: Take 1-270 to the Washington
Beltway 495 East toward Silver Spring. Take the Connecticut Avenue south
exit. Remain on Connecticut Avenue south and then take Massachusetts
Avenue east. Take Massachusetts Avenue east to 12th Street. Turn left on
12th Street to M Street. Turn right on M Street. Party will be between
10th and 9th Street NW in Blagden alley. Park far away & be low key.

From Maryland points East of Washington, DC: Take Route 50 to New York
Avenue. At 5th Street stay to the right, it will change to L Street.
Travel on L Street and turn right on 12th Street. Take first right on M
Street. Party will be between 10th and 9th Street NW in Blagden alley.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:59 am

The story of GSL's plight and the fundraiser for Sat. 3/5 have been posted up on http://dcsurfrider.org. Check it out.
lbk

John Dillon

GSL

Post by John Dillon » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:03 pm

8-10k minimally is needed for the GSL Project, as Rene pointed out, to buy the crete. The Airspeed guys will now only be available to consult due to another pour that conflicts...but a couple v. competent east coasters will now do the pour...hopefully, they'll get their new concrete pump. Nevertheless, we all need to assist w/fundraising and every contribution, no matter how small, will be graciously accepted...plus volunteers on work days to help out with nitty gritty items still welcome. All contributions are tax-deductible.

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:28 pm

hey guys ill be at the party im bringin some other dudes as well, see you all there, it 10 bucks right? later skaters