Gathering Posts

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Brian Parsons

Gathering Posts

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:02 pm

Comments.......
Last edited by Brian Parsons on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:29 pm

When?
Where?
Who?
How can I help?

Q

John Dillon

Ref: The Gathering 2005

Post by John Dillon » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:15 pm

I was looking at a class I want to take in the catalog last night and it's held on the same saturday that The Gathering would normally take place so I decided not to sign up and to look instead for another offering. I think Andy started a good thing almost 5 yrs ago and that Brian and others kept it together and I think it should continue to be held this year, 2005, 1st saturday and sunday in May. I am willing to put it on. Are you all in as well?
If we want the same location, we need someone to look into its availability for that wknd...Q? I will put up the reservation money if we agree to do so that wknd(7-8May). If we also reserve it for the 6th we can blow off the race course friday eve. The Gathering brought many people together and will continue to do so. I've looked at several other state park sites and this one is the best....but I didn't look at Patapsco SP, Avalon...which is just outside Baltimore City, right off I95, bordering Howard and Baltimore Counties, spitting distance from Anne Arundel County and Baltimore City and BWI...and just an underhanded lob from DC. I will try to look at this site too this week. Peace! BP, Q..yea, let's do it!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:10 am

It's a good tradition. Keep it. You'll make many people happy.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Gathering

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:15 am

Last year, at T4G, the Saturday events were held at the Pheasant Run Area of Seneca Creek State Park. The pavement wasn't as good as the pavement at the Cardinal Area, and the hill included a left-hand curve. Obviously, this created a dual course with the 2 lanes being different from each other. But, the pit area was conveniently located at the bottom of the course. There were also some single lane tight courses set-up at the far end of the pit area.

The Sunday events were held at the Cardinal Area. It has better pavement, and 2 courses can be set simultaneously; one on the "main hill", and one on the "back hill".

I'd be curious to hear other T4G participants' impressions/comparisons of the 2 areas of Seneca Creek.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Disembodied voice...

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:31 am

I know I don't get around much anymore, but I'm still here.

To everyone who has tried to contact me in the past few months and come up empty, my apologies.

There should be a T5G. It should be at the Cardinal area. The Pheasant Run area was used as a second choice last year, because I wasn't able to foot the bill for the Cardinal area in time to secure it. Pheasant Run area is WEAK compared to the Cardinal area.

JD, please send an e-mail to gbjphotoworks@hotmail.com. The last time I checked Patapsco-McKeldin area, they had no good pavement. It's kind of a shame because there are some good hills and camping permitted with rentable camp sites. It's make for a great event. There was just no good place to skate.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:13 am

Baltimore not only sucks, it gives you a STD.
Fountainhead kicks ass.

Anthony Smallwood

G5

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:14 am

Andy, have you secured the Cardinal area this year? If you're not able to foot the bill now, we should have a fundraiser/outlaw race to raise the loot to secure it.

Anthony Smallwood

G5

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:27 am

Just saw Slappy's post. He's right. Fountainhead does kick ass. Perfect place for a slalom and downhill outlaw fundraiser race. The sooner the better.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:41 am

If you plan it, we/they will come. You guys know ive been dreaming of fountainhead for the past year and would love to get out there. And the gathering, well theres no way Im missing that. Keep up the good work

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:38 am

DC Crew,
My name is Marion Karr and I am the newest slalom dude from this region of the country.
I have followed all of the postings from John Dillon and the rest of you guys regarding the Gathering and other events. I will keep watching the posts and check in with JD about the potential dates.

My goal this year is to attend 4 events and I have been targeting yours, Luna, Athens, and WV....also will be with Wesley Tucker for the SC State Championships.

If you have an email list put me on it. execquestone@hotmail.com

Marion Karr
DownHill Billies
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:40 am

luna Slalom Jam is scheduled for April 16-17th 2005 and the Red Clay Cup is April 29-May 1st. Would this mean the Gathering 5 would be held the following weekend. Very hard to get time off from work to make all 3 contest. I attended the Gathering this year. The SLALOM STOKE was heavy there. Met some of the coolest people in the slalom world there. 2005 should be an awesome year for our sport I wish I could make every contest. Eddy Texas Outlaws.[/img]

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:25 am

Cardinal Area gets my vote.

By the way,

GBJ Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lbk

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:46 pm

GBJ,

Can you check availability?
How much to secure the spot? I can paypal or send a check or
money order to help out.

See you at The Gathering.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

John Dillon

TG5

Post by John Dillon » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:13 pm

Hi fellow slalom enthusiasts!
Definitely, The Cardinal area gets my vote too! That's a great place you found, Andy! Plus, I agree w/ u about McKeldin..I was there the other day and there's no place to skate...darn!I will gladly foot the bill to reserve this spot for the weekend...we just need to decide if we want to move it to a wknd in June or keep w/the same wknd in May(7&8th) as usual....even though it'd be the 3rd consecutive race in a row after Luna & Red Clay Cup.I'm up for whatever wknd we all decide...can Q & Andy check availability for the May wknd AND the June wknds....and either go ahead and reserve it( I will pay you cash right after you reserve it) or inform everyone here and we will vote on the date? Feel free to call me on my cell 443-610-8488. Andy , I'll shoot you an e-mail. It's ON!!!!!!!

Mike Ohm

TG5

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:34 pm

Slappy is right. Fountainhead blows Seneca away. We would have to make it happen in March though. Probably before the park officially opens. There are at least 4 hills to set courses on plus the one in the back. That hill is sick! The only limitation might be setting a dual course. We haven't tried yet but anything is possible. As far as the surface, if Seneca is a 4, Fountainhead is a 9.

We need to talk/meet ASAP about approaching Fairfax County Regional Park Authority. Brian, can you call about insurance (Fluitts connection). Before we approach FCRPA, we need to have a solid plan to help secure the park. Insurance, waivers, clean-up etc...

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Fountainhead Issues

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:27 pm

One question about Fountainhead. I've been there twice and never noticed, but then again I never went over that first hill farther into the park: where are the "facilities?"

When the Gathering is at Cardinal, it's "ours," including the picnic tables, grill and bathroom. Can Fountainhead compete for overall convenience if hosting a full two-day long event? Plus, even if the gate is closed to traffic, that doesn't stop idiotic bicyclers from cruising through our course even though we're going the oppsite way on a skateboard straight at them. Common sense rarely prevails in public venues.

Not causing trouble, just checkin.' :-)

For the record, I'll say "I don't care one way or the other" but that doesn't mean I don't care. It means that if someone else goes to the time, trouble and effort to organize an event THAT'S FREE, then I am not one to sit back, point my finger and tell them what they need to do to satisfy me. Anything is cool as long as I get to make fun of Slappy and Vlad when they are in the starting box.

My New Year's Resolution is to quit making fun of BP. He alread gets enough grief!

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:06 am

I think the bathrooms and grills and stuff were over near the mini golf course if im not mistaken.

Mike Ohm

G5

Post by Mike Ohm » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:45 pm

Anthony is right. Bathrooms, parking, Putt Putt .

I walked Fountainhead yesterday with the family. So much potential. A leaf blower will be your best friend.

We walked down the back hill that runs along the water and up the other hill. The hill on your left as you are walking down is the best and safest hill for a race. Equally as steep as the right side hill but much safer. Parsons is right, the right side hill would need haybails along the guard rail to fend off any 20 foot drops through trees to a watery grave.

The left side hill has a run off and doesn't have dead mans curve. Don't get me wrong, I still think a hairy GS can be set on the right side and be somewhat safe. Athough not for all ability levels.

This would be a large undertaking and plenty of volunteers, mostly skaters would be needed.

Who wants to meet about how to pull this off at Fountainhead?

Anthony Smallwood

race

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:37 pm

Are you planning this Fountainhead race as an alternative to the Gathering or as a supplement? Plus, use the right side for something. Individual timed runs would still be rad if pack racing is too dangerous. I'm sure a Canadian contingent would show, along with the DCDC racers if there is a run of consequence.
It just ain't right to ignore such a beast but you guys do what you want. I'll be there to stomp ass either way.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:16 pm

Any race at Fountainhead would not be a replacement for The Gathering. There will be more official information posted on this year's Gathering later this week, right here, as well as posting to all of the accepted event calendars.

Anthony Smallwood

G5

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:31 pm

Glad to hear it. Keep the tradition alive.

Slappy Maxwell

Fountainhead

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:19 pm

I'm down for a Fountainhead meeting.

Hey Wesley, I know you Republicans aren't very comfortable on the 'internets'. But there is a thing called 'Google'. You can search for info on all sorts of things. I typed in Fountainhead and Virginia and got this for you.

http://www.nvrpa.org/fountainhead.html

Happy New Year!
http://www.costofwar.com/
http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:56 am

Slappimus, I don't "google."
I have people who do that for me.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:15 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:I have people who do that for me.
The motto of all Bush Republicans. ;)

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:55 pm

@Andy,
Anything you need, just say the word. I'm here, and willing to help!!!

(I don't want to jump any guns, or step on any toes...)

Q

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:54 pm

We're talking about the back hills, right? Because if I remember correctly you'll still have some good speed coming down the right side and up the left hill. With people coming the other way then I think the collideage factor would be pretty serious.

John Dillon

Yo Q!

Post by John Dillon » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:19 pm

Didn't u mean....u didn't want to ride over anyone's toes? Hey you fountainheaders...get a plan, work it out and make it happen. And go G5 go!

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:47 pm

Andy Bittner wrote:Any race at Fountainhead would not be a replacement for The Gathering. There will be more official information posted on this year's Gathering later this week, right here, as well as posting to all of the accepted event calendars.
GBJ, what's the deal? I know I'm not the only person who needs to plan way ahead these days. What say you?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

The 5th Gathering

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:09 pm

Although, I've yet to complete proper marketing information on The 5th Gathering, I may as well go ahead and make the announcement official here. Additional information will be posted to all appropriate calendars soon.

The 5th Gathering: (clever nickname pending...)

When:
Saturday and Sunday, May 7 and 8, 2005

Where:
Seneca Creek State Park
Cardinal Picnic Area (both days!)
11950 Clopper Road
Gaithersburg, MD

Information: As always admission to The Gathering is FREE. However, admission to Seneca Creek State Park is currently listed as $3.00 per person. Please come prepared to pay the park entry fees. Depending on who is operating the park entry, this $3 per person entry fee has been known to be reduced to $3 per car. Nonetheless, be prepared to remit the full amount to the park authorities, and if they cut us a break... who can argue?

The Gathering site (Cardinal Picnic area) has also been rented for Friday, May 6. Two years ago I attempted to use this day as a preparatory work day, and much to my dismay it devolved into a session. This year I've decided to avoid the dismay by just calling it a session, and if some work gets done... who can argue? (to the best of my knowledge, there is no park entry fee on weekdays)

Watch here or the other standard event calendars for more information including daily event schedules. (we're going to try to get more skating in this year, by scheduling the days and trying to move more directly from one event to the next.)

Rene Hayden

Fountainhead

Post by Rene Hayden » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:10 pm

I know this is off the "Gathering" topic,

but what about having a low-key start-up Atlantic event in March at Fountainhead anyways as a warm-up to the Gathering--call it the Rathering or the Gaithering or Atlantic Convergence Downhill Classic (AC/DC) or something. If it's in March it won't conflict, and the DC scene could use a bit of slalom/downhill synergy, no? I don't know--we could start off with a one-day event geared towards good times--you could have beginner speedboard and GS runs a la Gaithersburg P&R in the morning with more serious racing later in the day? I'd be willing to volunteer some time to make it happen.

Feel free to move this post.

Rene.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:18 am

Cool idea Rene.
I'd keep it fresh and new without any references to Gathering stuff.

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:30 am

Is that date mentioned above the official stuff? G4 was a great time and I want to book my room ASAP. Any suggestions? Last year we stayed at Casa De Crack (complete with a train every 20 minutes). Hopefully the DHB will be able to check out that as well at some down south action as well.
HOSS

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:23 am

Lenny,

Go to HOTWIRE.com and tell 'em what you want. Last year I stayed at a 3- or 4-star Marriott 10 miles from the Gathering for $50 a night, $60 with all the Maryland fees and taxes. So much of the DC 'Burbs is geared towards weekday business and government people. On the weekends they give rooms away because that's better than an empty house!

That changes, of course, in June, July and August, but in May why not go First Class at a Third Class rate?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:26 am

Lenny, the dates are firm and the announcement is official. T5G will be held, as usual, on the first full weekend in May. Wesley's suggestion is also spot on. Where'd you stay, Wesley? Marriott in Bethesda, near Montgomery Mall? If the price is right, you really can't miss there, because the hotel actually sits on the campus of Marriott's international headquarters.

Frank Scheib

Someone needs to check out the gathering site

Post by Frank Scheib » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi guys, yes I am still alive.

I was at the Christmas lights event at Seneca and it appeared that they were working/starting to work on the bottom section of the cardinal area. It appeared the work was/is to the bottom lot. There MAY be very rough pavement and or Speedbumps at the end of the run. There was alot of heavy equipment parked in that lot. Thought you might want a heads up!!

Also VLAD PLEASE E-MAIL ME at apace331@cs.com

Thanks
Frank.
Frank

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:11 pm

That could either be very good news (fresh pavement)

or very bad news (construction or speed bumps)

Q

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Routine Maintenance

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:15 am

Not to worry. Some of the utilities (sewer or water) running to the restroom facility pass under the road down there. They seem to have some need to open that little trench across the road every couple of years, and they've always done an excellent job of returning it to "not an issue" status.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Gathering Site as good as always

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Since my last post here, I've had the chance to drop by the Gathering site and it remains in the same condition we've always had it. There was no construction and are no speed bumps.

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:25 pm

If u plan to go, then sign up....others from out of town aren't going to come if just a few of you sign up....oh well, more runs for those who do show up! Don't be lame, get into the game!! Do we have any schedule, Andy? I know some folks can only attend one day and they have to tell the boss which day to have off. Thanks!

Eric Brammer

'05 Gathering; We have a spare couch...

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:22 am

If anyone needs a place to be at The Gathering, it turns out that we'll have an extra bed at the Suite we're getting. Price is negotiable, but will not be more than 1/4 of our $130/nite. Reputable types only, please! ;-)
You can leave me a private message here, or e-mail me at ebrammer@adelphiaDOTnet
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Proposed Schedule

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:04 pm

When I first announced The 5th Gathering: It's All About Slalom, I proposed that this year would see an increase in organization and scheduling, since that time, I haven't had any time to do any scheduling. I know I said I would, but I simply have not had any time. I know I am planning to focus on juniors and rookies on Saturday morning. The rest of Saturday will be a steady progression of courses throughout the afternoon and early evening.

The beginning of Saturday, focusing on juniors and rookies, will not be scripted, until we see what we are dealing with. I will guarantee at least one, Juniors Only (14 and under) race and perhaps more depending on who is there and how broad is the range of abilities.

I know I'll start the afternoon with a single lane, "cruises easy, races hard", slalom course on the Main Hill, and a fast, easy longboard course on the Back Hill. I see no reason to not have a vintage race each day, so Saturday's vintage race may happen next and could be raced on the first course set on the Main Hill.

By then I'm going to want to challenge the more advanced riders with a hard, steep, fast set-up on the Back Hill, while I set a dual, moderately fast, moderately tight, relatively straight set of courses on the Main Hill. Once the dual courses are up... It's challenge time! Head-to-head challenges and fun, we can even attempt to mess with some kind of handicapping to work on racing less experienced racers against the more experienced racers. That'll probably fill Saturday.

Sunday could continue on in the same manner, without the morning junior session. I want to start with a full, qualify and bracket, dual race on the Main hill.

By this point, I think we're going to need a little break for something different. This year, I'm doing away with any organized hillclimb, and I'm hoping to replace it with a catamaran slalom course on the Back Hill. Several times in the previous few years, people started messing around with catamaraning at The Gathering, and every time it has seemed to be great fun and amusement for everyone. Racing is racing, and the team nature of catamaraning adds some new, entertaining aspects to what is otherwise an individual's sport.

Challenge the best with a very difficult TS course on the Main Hill (or another vintage race), followed by either a GS or another longboard race on the Back Hill, followed by one more regular slalom course (formerly known as "hybrid") on the Main Hill and that'll probably do it.

How's that? Looks like a plan to me, but considering I only just threw it together, I am open to commentary. If the numbers stay as low as registration on the Ncdsa.com Registration Page would indicate, we're going to have a blast. It'll be about the size of the first one and we can just go, go, go.

No matter what we finally decide, I'd appreciate it if people would, as much as possible, keep themselves in and their attention on whatever the current "official" (...wish I didn't have to use that word!) event is. In the past, progression through the schedule has often been hampered by the fact the everytime myself or another coursesetter goes to the alternate hill to set up the next planned event, some splinter faction has already taken over that hill to do whatever it is they want to be doing at that time and I, or someone else, has to have a whole discussion with the splinter group whining over whether we shouldn't just really let them continue to do what they want to be doing, because, after all, they want to have fun too, and isn't this enough people to just make this the next event? Suddenly, those of us who are trying to run an event in some semblance of a time efficient and orderly fashion are the bad, mean people. Y'know what? I don't need it.

The worst thing that ever happened to The Gatherings was when it was styled or described as the Woodstock of slalom skateboarding. There was a time in my life when the word Woodstock meant peaceful cooperation and fun and I would've (and was briefly) flattered by the description, but I've found out, just like the latter day musical Woodstocks, in today's culture, the word "Woodstock" has now come to represent a selfish, hedonistic, me... me... me...., whaa... whaa... whaaaaa..., free-for-all. Those really suck to run.

John Dillon

TG5

Post by John Dillon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:47 pm

Sounds cool to me , Andy! Count me in.

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:09 pm

Sounds great, hey ae there grils at the park cuz i can get burgers and veggies and what not for food for the day, let me know how i can help.

John Dillon

Fire up the grills!

Post by John Dillon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:00 pm

Yes, there are grills at TG5 site, Gilbert. That'd be way cool for you to bring food....I'm bringing some drinks and ice too...and I'm sure others are bringing stuff too...I've told folks to bring food for the grill. Chairs, blankets and charcoal are other good things to bring too...heck, I'll even bring marshmallows.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:03 pm

I hope to be there, as this will be my first actual "event", hopefully i will find a ride, and possibly somewhere to stay thats not extremely far away, that way i wont have to go for just one day, my goal is to show up both days.
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Eric Brammer

My previous post...

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:25 am

Justin, you're covered on a place to stay during The Gathering.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:20 am

Mr. Bittner, when you're talking about breaking off for something different how about a bombing session. I mean, sure its not slalom but I remember doing this last year and it was a blast. And since the best hill I remember is at the back of the park there will be plenty of people out of your way for awhile so you can set up your courses.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Bombs Away

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:47 am

Danny... While I appreciate the implied respect, please feel free to call me Andy, or GBJ. Mr. Bittner is my father.

You are entirely welcome to skate around and bomb the hills in Seneca Creek State Park all you want, during The 5th Gathering or any other time they're open for that matter, but I must refer you back to the sub-title of the event; It's All About Slalom. Bombing hills out in the park won't be an "official" part of the Gathering. In the past, the Hill Climb was about slalom because it's all about strength and power in pumping the board. To this day, I can hardly believe I've seen someone complete The Gathering Site loop twice, including pump/climbing the Back Hill twice! Five years ago, when I first realized the total slalom potential of the site, I would've assured you such a hill climbing feat would be impossible. [My former high school classmates would probably be amazed to know I've held an event in that picnic area every year since I first "discovered" it, while I was attending my 20 Year High School Reunion Picnic. I was so distracted from the picnic by the paved hills on either side of the picnic site, I managed to win the Magruder H.S. Class of 1980 Reunion Horseshoe Tournament and trophy without hardly even noticing!]

We are allowed to skate anywhere we'd like in the park, but we have control over motor vehicle traffic inside the Gathering site. The park management is pretty hard to upset, but I'm afraid one way to push our luck would be to take masses of skaters on a shoulder-to-shoulder bombing session on their main car routes.

People should come for slalom and stay for slalom, but if they get tired of slalom, they should do me a favor and not try to change the event into something else. I listen to myself (or read my own posts), and I'm sure I'm getting grumpier as I continue to grow into an angry old man, but a post on the Ncdsa.com Registration page makes my example. While I'm certain the statement was intended with humor, the person who points out that his board also does kickflips and "couldn't he just go over the damned cone?" should consider whether he really wants to come to this event. Everyone is completely welcome to come and join us, but if slalom is a bother, or something that only holds a marginal, temporary interest for someone, then that someone would be wise to consider whether he or she really wants to spend time and money travelling to a two-day event called "It's All About Slalom".

One of the problems in the past is that people have travelled from across the country and around the world to be at this special slalom-only event, while several locals treat it like it's just another outlaw session in a local park, doing whatever they please, holding side meetings and setting up their own races on The Gathering Site in direct conflict with the "official" Gathering event of the moment. This kind of help I don't need. If you want to do your own thing, set up your own event, but don't do it at The Gathering.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:01 pm

Much appreciation Eric!
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."