DC outlaw rcae moved to sunday. landsdowne saturday

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Brian Gilbert

DC outlaw rcae moved to sunday. landsdowne saturday

Post by Brian Gilbert » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:08 pm

John Dillon emailed me today and said brian has moved the race to saturday, so i hope to see you all at landsdowne, for the rescheduled re-opening saturday. its gonna rule , a weekend of skating.

John Dillon

Hey Brian? Sat or sun? Lans is sat!

Post by John Dillon » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:19 pm

Yea, Brian is right...I told him that because the Lansdowne East Coast Jam was re-scheduled for this sat, oct 2nd...that the Outlaw race would be on sunday....I was talking to Brian about this last saturday....and I was just checking this site to see if he had posted anything about the change. Since i don't see anything mentioned about it being changed...you will all have to check with Parsons yourself or whoever else is running cones this wknd. I will be running the Lansdowne event and I hope all of you can come out and join me...this sat oct 2nd...Peace!

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:22 pm

Yes, The Outlaw race will be moved to Sunday due to many of the slalom guys running the Landsdown re opening.

I hope this does not screw up anyones plans.

I also plan on being at Landsdown on Saturday then running cones at the P&R on Sunday.

Sorry for the confusion.

I want this Fall/Winter Outlaw series to be bigger than our previous races so I dont want to get off on the wrong foot by having these schedule conflicts.

Party on.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:58 pm

cricket, cricket, cricket

No comments....???

Is Sunday OK with everone?...WesE excluded...I know he has commitments on Sundays.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:31 pm

Brian! Nice of you to drop by! Haven’t heard anything from you in a while (some replys to my emails would be nice). Did you know that Noah has a kid now? He does. And some dude got shot with a pellet gun at Lansdowne.

I think this Sunday is actually fine for me. Second and third Sundays of the month are when I’m usually busy, and even then, I can probably be at the G-P&R by about 12:30.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:23 pm

Well, Brian, as long as you're actually asking for comment... This Saturday was one of the few weekends I'd been able to set up being somewhat free on Saturday, by making myself busy on Sunday. It's too late to change it back now. Oh well... c'est la vie.

Rene Hayden

Sunday

Post by Rene Hayden » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:03 pm

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

I might have to go to a tractor pull,

oh wait, that's next sunday sunday sunday

Sunday is great!

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:19 pm

Sorry Wes, I did not have web access until yesterday. Been out of town.

The Landsdown reopening is a significant event for this region and I think most skaters would be interested in going out a supporting John for all of his efforts. It would also be a great time for us slalom geeks to scope out a good banked slalom run there with all of the improvements.

The weather is looking good for this weekend, I love skating in the fall. I need to get my skate legs geared up so I can beat WesE in WV.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:50 pm

I want this Fall/Winter Outlaw series to be bigger than our previous races so I dont want to get off on the wrong foot by having these schedule conflicts.
Brian, you didn't create this conflict. Someone else did. I don't feel that it is your responsibility to adjust your schedule to solve a problem that someone else created.

Changing the date of the race at this point doesn't resolve schedule conflicts, it just creates different ones. Count me out also.

Rene Hayden

conflict

Post by Rene Hayden » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:43 pm

Sure Kevin,

but it's just a bad confluence of timing. Landsdowne was supposed to have its grand opening (last?) Sat. but got rained out and postponed till this weekend. It's a once-in-a-while type of thing, you know? I think it warrants rescheduling slalom given the large overlap of riders, but I also understand that doing so creates a lot of problems for out-of-towners that have to plan things a bit more in advance than all us lucky locals. Sort of like when my friend Donny says we'll bottle beer on Saturday, and then ends up being "too tired" to come over at 8 PM. Grrr. Could'a been doing something ELSE, you know...

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:59 pm

It appears to me that, when the original date for the Landsdown event was rained-out, a new date was picked with little or no regard for the scheduling conflict that was being created with the (already scheduled and announced) DC Outlaw slalom event.

When I then posted about this schedule conflict, Seth "a grind beats a cone anyday" Levy replied,
i know that there is no turning back on this date
, which in itself tells me that there was a lack of respect for Brian and his event. Which date was there no turning back from, the original date, or the date of the DC Outlaw race?

I respect Brian for being a true gentleman, and moving his race date to accomodate the Landsdown organizers. Unfortunately, however you rationalize it, this has repercussions to those of us who had already scheduled our lives around the original race date. Which possibly means that fewer racers, rather than more racers, will show up for the event.

Obviously, I fall into the fewer category.............
Hopefully Brian gets in a well-attended, successful race.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:03 am

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:It appears to me that, when the original date for the Landsdown event was rained-out, a new date was picked with little or no regard for the scheduling conflict that was being created with the (already scheduled and announced) DC Outlaw slalom event.

When I then posted about this schedule conflict, Seth "a grind beats a cone anyday" Levy replied,
, which in itself tells me that there was a lack of respect for Brian and his event. Which date was there no turning back from, the original date, or the date of the DC Outlaw race?

I respect Brian for being a true gentleman, and moving his race date to accomodate the Landsdown organizers. Unfortunately, however you rationalize it, this has repercussions to those of us who had already scheduled our lives around the original race date. Which possibly means that fewer racers, rather than more racers, will show up for the event.

I'm thinking Mr. Parsons thought that the reopening of Landsdown was more important than the race since there will be more races in the future but it will be a looong time before landsdown is closed again and then reopened.

I won't make either.

Rene Hayden

Kevster

Post by Rene Hayden » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:44 am

Hey Kevin,

I'm hearing you on the disappointment tip and the reorganization hassles, trust me. I myself am suffering from not skating slalom in what should have been the primest slalom season (summer). Me and my brand new Geezerfied axles.

However, bear in mind that a) the Landsdowne reopening is a big thing for skaters, period. slalom, bowls, pool, longboard, period.

b) I don't think it's lack of 'spect--knowing what I do of John D, it's most likely simple overlooking, skater-style let's-do-it -enthusiasm that makes it easy to forget about "regularly scheduled" events.

c) several of the slalom folks are going up to scout out a banked slalom run. Hey, if it means growing slalom in a prime venue an hour closer to you, I say right on for slalom and right on for you. After all, Landsowne was built primarily with 70's boards (read hybrid slalom, basically) in mind.

d) last time I went to Landsdowne, there wasn't anything TO grind, so Mr. Levy is going to be SOL either way.

Kevin, you are a WAY cool guy. The first or second time I met you you stoked me big time on slalom, and GAVE me a set of stingers at a time I was really hurting for cash and running crappy longboard wheels. Ladies and gents, there is no doubt KMG is a class act, and it's little selfless things like that, and the effort of coming down every damn race, holding races of his own to keep the scene alive, and Ms. KMG doing her usual damn fine job at scoreboard that oil the often very-squeaky wheels of our little scene and keep it going. i think I speak for everybody in the D.C.O.L when I say you are both very esteemed and valued members, and it will be sad not to see you Sunday.

But in the meantime, nothing might happen on Sat. anyways due to T-storms, so maybe it's for the best that slalom is Sunday. Maybe the only skate event this weekend after all. I'm going to go try and tamp some dirt at the Green bowls, myself. I didn't see any slalom boys or girls besides Anthony S. out there last time, either.

Rene.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:36 pm

Rene, Just remember that Kevin and Yvonne must plan trips from the Pittsburgh-area in order to be here for DC races, and driving home late on Sunday puts a crimp in the beginning of the work week for old people like Kevin. Also realize that Lansdowne WAS built with 70s skating in mind, but having been around at the time, I can assure you that the boards being skated in parks at the time were NOT like hybrid slalom boards.

One more thing (at least for some of us)... the promotion of park slalom at Lansdowne may bring some crossover players into slalom, but there are definitely some of us, myself included, who consider park slalom something substantially different from the other forms of slalom racing, and are not all that interested in it. It is my own personal belief that in the 70's, moving slalom into skateparks, a controlled environment, for which one had to pay entry fees, and is only available on someone else's schedule was one of many moves and factors that contributed to the first death of slalom skateboarding.

Somehow, I don't see KMG making trips to south Baltimore to race banked slalom at Lansdowne. Frankly, I don't even see myself as very likely to travel to south Baltimore to race in banked slalom events. To me, banked slalom is, was, and always will be a very different sport from the slalom skateboard racing that I love. Just remember, even though we all do ride skateboards, it doesn't mean we all like to do everything that can be done on a skateboard. I also wonder whether Baltimore is actually one hour closer to Pittsburgh. It is farther north, but also further east, is nowhere near the hotels and infrastructure Kevin uses to make his trips down here, and frankly, doesn't offer much at all in terms of conveniently local accomodations.

The fact is Brian changed a date. It is likely that the majority will be well served by that change. Some of us aren't. Brian asked for comment. Brian asked for comment again. I commented. The change affects me and my plans negatively. The change affects Kevin and his plans negatively. You don't need to try to talk us out of the fact that we're unhappy about the change. We're big boys. We'll get over it.

No matter how you slice it though, it is just a teeny, tiny example of how the larger skateboarding killed slalom skateboarding the first time. This time, dedicated, lifelong slalomers finally resurrected slalom and it looks like, in the smallest, must subtle ways, history is beginning to repeat itself. I mean... why would someone, who routinely hangs out at slalom events, with the slalom crowd, come on a slalom skateboarding website and proudly proclaim to that crowd, "a grind beats a cone any day"? Frankly, I like Seth well enough and he is obviously entitled to his opinion, but that opinion doesn't make me think any more of him. Let him go tell it on the grinding website.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:00 pm

You know, life can be a little complicated........... Someone asks you for a commitment, or schedules an event, but you can't show up because there is a DC Outlaw race that day. So, schedules are re-arranged so that it is possible to attend both events. Then, 3 days before the race, you start reading rumors that the race date is being changed. I call these rumors since they were not coming from the race organizer, Brian Parsons. Eventually, Brian posted to confirm the rumors that the race date was being changed so that a few slalomers wouldn't have to choose between the Landsdown event and the DC Outlaw race.

If the race dates in the future are this uncertain, then there will be other events that I will not be able to attend due to other commitments.

I think that once the race schedule is posted, it should be adhered to. People can then schedule around the races with the knowlege that the dates are firm.

BTW, I would love to try banked slalom, and I'm only 48 years old.

Mike Ohm

DC Outlaw

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:05 pm

Does someone need a hug?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:51 pm

I must apologize for not posting this information sooner. Due to being out of town I was not able to catch up with John until Saturday and did not have web access until Wednesday.

People keep saying that I am the organizer of the DC Outlaw series. But really the DCOS is run by everyone who comes to the races. No one comes to the races just to race. You guys conehead, record times, and help set courses, as well as acting as coach, competitor and friend.

It does not bother me when someone says they would rather grind a pool over riding around a cone. There are days I would rather grind a pool than ride around a cone. Big deal, does that mean I am not committed as a slalom skater? I don’t think so.

This is an issue of a schedule conflict. That’s it. It has nothing to do with slalom vs. park riding vs. downhill races vs. longboard cruising.

The Outlaw race on Sunday will be fun for everyone who shows up. It always is. The Landsdown reopening on Saturday will also be fun for everyone who shows up. I am absolutely thrilled that I have somehow landed in an area where there is so much enthusiasm for skateboarding at all levels and all disciplines.

Rene Hayden

is there such a thing as being electronically deaf?

Post by Rene Hayden » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:10 pm

AMEN.

the discerning reader will see-- "geezerfied," as I wrote it above, is a misnomer. It really should be "geezerficated," the adjectival form of the noun "geezerfication."

HUGS PLEASE.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:13 pm

rene... That's GEEZERIZED ;)

kev... You and Yvonne will be missed. I believe that not enough thanks goes out to you guys and BP and the others who help "run the show".

The whole turn of events with this rescheduling stuff kinda sux, but as the saying goes, "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

I believe JD posted up on one of the "grinder" ;) forums (BDS) asking if 10/2 was a potential conflict. As there is nobody (except maybe me) who is very active in both places, and the DC fall schedule was posted on page 2 of the "Summer Outlaw Series" thread about 3 days before 10/2 was proposed as the "Plan B" date, it is no wonder it was missed.

I don't think I can make the 'downer thing, but things look better for us for the race sunday.

BP, as a suggestion, do you have the power to create a "sticky" post? I think it would be very helpful if the current DC outlaw series schedule were always at the top of the DC forum in a sticky post. It is sometimes difficult to find.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:20 pm

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:It appears to me that, when the original date for the Landsdown event was rained-out, a new date was picked with little or no regard for the scheduling conflict that was being created with the (already scheduled and announced) DC Outlaw slalom event.

HAH. no consideration for schedule conflicts? October 2nd was the day where there were the fewest schedule conflicts. yes there was a race, but those happen every month. there is also a skatopia bash, but those happen every few months as well. And just because i would rather skate a pool than go in and out of cone doesnt mean i have a lack of respect for it. if its that important to you, you know what, you can still go to the park and ride and set up your own cones.
why dont you come to lansdowne (i mean it is closer to you) and try to have a good time? who doesnt have fun in a snake run?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:57 pm

Seth,
Calm down, grasshopper. ;)
KMG comes from near Pittsburgh. Lansdowne is actually farther (albeit 20 miles) for him than Gburg.

Put yourself in KMG's vans for a minute:

You and your wife schedule a weekend around an event. You make plans, you change other plans so that you can keep that date open, you make hotel reservations. Everything is set.

Then 1 week before you're good to go, you find out one of your bros rescheduled something, and YOUR event gets bumped.

I'd be a bit miffed too.

wrinkle time:
30-50% chance of rain Saturday.
0-10% chance of rain Sunday...

I think I've invested 4¢ or more to this thread.

Q

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Let Me Be Perfectly Clear

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:29 am

Given that I've hardly been able to make any Outlaw races for quite some time, my opinion is negligible. I'm not terribly inconvenienced. In fact, I'm not inconvenienced at all. The only reason I even posted anything was Brian's persistence in soliciting comments. I had made plans to be there by swapping something to Sunday. With the switch to Sunday, I can't be there. All of this is, at worst, slightly disappointing to me, but certainly no hardship.

...and yes, Mikey, you did correctly sense that I was a little cranky this morning. A hug might be good.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:58 am

Some people say I'm always cranky, but in the words of John Astin, "I'm feeling MUCH better now".

Speaking of solicited comments, this whole schedule conflict thing could more easily be avoided if RAIN DATES were scheduled with the original events. How many more times do we have to endure cancelled or quickly re-scheduled events before we start scheduling rain dates along with the original race/event date? Both of the Gaithersburg Open slalom events were scheduled with rain dates, as was the Farm race this year. Everyone knew ahead of time what the plan was if it rained on race day. What is the plan if the Landsdowne reopening gets rained out again tomorrow?

I'll bet there ain't one. Yet.

But, there should be. It is not very hard to imagine that any scheduled outdoor event might get rained on. So why is it so difficult to anticipate this eventuality, and then schedule a rain date as a "Plan B" that all participants can schedule around also.

SHEESH!!
Last edited by Kevin M. Gamble on Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:02 am

This is so cool... bickering over skateboard events. It was not all that long ago that I was so disgusted with the one dimensional aspect of skateboarding (remember street skating with wheels the size of bearings) that I stopped skateboarding entirely and only surfed. Now look at us, we are all back skateboarding and we have so many different skateboard events happening on almost any given weekend that you could never do them all... Life is good my friends.
lbk

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:37 am

yo kevin we missed you at lansdowne. you really should have come, i bet you woulda had a blast.