John Dillon heal up!!

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Seth Levy

JOHN DILLON HEAL UP!!

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:52 pm

dude, how is the knee?
to fill the rest of you guys in, there was a particularly *heated* sesion at the new arlington park and it was getting EXTREMELY hard to get in a run. it is so big that if more than one person dropped in at a time, that you would just ride it out and hope not to collide with the other person. well, John and i werent so lucky last night! i saw him and bailed to my knees (pool skaters instinct) and he flipped over me. Totally tweaked his knee out. So john, this is my apology/get well soon note. Hope to see you on board asap. Peace out, remember, motrin IS your friend!
seth

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:46 pm

Seth, Just remember this can happen to anybody. At the pre-opening event for the Woodbridge Vans park, I watched Lance Mountain and Tony Alva take each other out at the bottom of the kidney pool. No fanfare, no tricks, just opposite side drop-ins and WHAM! The only thing entertaining was watching Lance (no slouch himself, in the history of the sport) look like he'd just crushed some priceless, irreplaceable antique.

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:51 am

yeah, i saw the run-in, didn't look too bad from my vantage point, but John was able to walk away. i hope John is better for the Downer opening next weekend.

GET WELL SOON!!!!!

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am

nino, i highly doubt he will be skating at the downer. he is on crutches now and in a soft cast. hopefully he will update us though

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:22 am

Yea last Friday night, I pulled up to the skatepark with the wife & kid just in time to see John laying down in the bowl. When the EMT's showed & pulled the pad off his knee, you could see the knee was dislocated. But when the EMT's started to try to remove the knee pad off of John's foot, his knee popped back into place.

I took John to the hospital where they x-rayed his knee and gave him pain killers. John spent the night at my house and then visited the doctors Monday and Tuesday. John is set for an MRI on Wednesday. The knee is in bad shape but the Doctors did make some positive comments to John about what is possibly torn.

Let's cross our fingers for John. Though, he will be at the grand re-opening of Lansdowne this Saturday 9/18/04 to run the skateboard event as long as the rain holds off. Me and Wes E. will be there early to help John. So everyone, come help the injured brother out at yhe Lansdowne event on Sat.

DR

PS, GBJ, I was telling the same story to Jeff Marlow, the Arlington Skatepark construction manager, about when Lance Mountain ran into Tony Alva at the Vans opening. I remembered how the crowed gasped because we thought Lance had killed TA but Alva got up, dusted himself off and kept on skating. John Dillon will do the same....
lbk

John Dillon

From 'MANNOTALLTHEWAYDOWN'

Post by John Dillon » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:16 pm

Hey guys and gals!
Yes, it's true that I'm on crutches and in great pain...I'm toughing it out w/o meds as the pain meds make me puke and Advil is useless. I wish to thank you all for the kind thoughts and e-mails, the therapy words, phone calls,etc...I may be down but I'm not all the way down.
Twas a rad session fri eve and Seth and I had our eye on the same spot...I hold no ill thoughts because I know it wasn't on purpose that we collided...but I do thank Seth for the soft landing...I think I landed on top of him...nothing else hurt but my knee...I was just bummed that it stopped the hot session and happened so early in my session. Did anybody snap a pix of the knee? Ahhh, just the thought of it makes me sore! Anyways, I will be at Lansdowne by 8am to set up if Ivan stays away..I hope you all can come out...I'll be the one on crutches! The MRI will be read on tues for me....hopefully, it won't take much to cure but they said they've seen much worse so I am hopeful! Keep on ripping up the cones and the trannies, fellow skateboarders! C y'all sooner rather than later!!
-John Dillon
Team Fun
MANNOTALLTHEWAYDOWN

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:48 pm

JD,

Now, will you finally grow up and realize the future of skating is slalom? Why suffer a death wish in those silly parks when real men skate through cones? Sure, there's a rush to a little vertical, but does that really compare to the thrill of the wiggle?

Don't tempt fate and wander again from the path. Become one with yourself and the downhill expanse of the semi-concious aging skateboarder: stick with racing. At least that way you know Seth will bring doughnuts!

Be cool and get well. Or at least get back to the shape you used to be in! :-)

Wesley Tucker
Fellow Slalom Skater still anxious to get off injured reserve.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:46 am

maybe this is my youth talking, but a grind beats a cone anyday. but to each his own

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Preferences

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:43 pm

Seth, It has little or nothing to do with youth. It has everything to do with 'to each his own'. I'm certain that, among others of all ages, Tony Alva and Tony Hawk would both echo your preference for grinds over cones.

Me? Having skated both, I'll take a good, fast slalom course over a pool anyday.

Anthony Smallwood

cones vs. coping

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:48 pm

Do it all, enjoy it and save the comparisons for after you're dead.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Get well vibes from the West Coast

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:15 am

Get Well soon!

Jack and the Central Coast Crew.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:34 am

JD Get well soon we missed you at JoJa wasn't the same without you. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

John Dillon

Update...

Post by John Dillon » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:01 am

Hi folks!
The ortho had great news for me today....no rips or tears seen on the MRI, however, I will undergo Physical therapy for a few months.....they drained a ton of fluid off my knee and surrounding area today and it is such awesome relief.....I'm still on crutches and trying to woo myself off of them by putting some weight on the leg and strengthening up the ligaments(stretched). I am lucky! I just heard that Aaron Morris is down....get well Aaron...sooner rather than later we will be skating again!!!!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:16 pm

Glad to hear the good news, John. Being hurt sucks. Not being hurt, um, is much better! :-)

Tim Keasbey

Post by Tim Keasbey » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:28 pm

John, Brah, Bad news...

Years ago I had three surgeries on one knee spent a year on crutches so my heart goes out to you. Very glad to hear you knee is not as wasted like mine was i.e. rips and tears.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Timbobwei

Warm wishes to the whole "DC Crew" ohana

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:41 pm

Not to change the subject BUT,

Timbo, WHERE ARE YOU? I heard rumors you left DC, gave up skating, joined a monastery and Vlad tried to convince us you went to Sweden for some "personal surgery." :-)

I made three outlaw events last winter and the Gathering and you were nowhere to be seen. Too bad you couldn't make it because, much to my chagrin, longboard racing had a really good turnout for each event. Lots of newbies were getting into Slalom by bringing their land yachts and cruising through Parsons' finest layouts.

By the way, you also started a fashion trend: Michael Dong, Joe Iacovelli and I think a few others are wearing the full body armor you donned many years ago.

You're just way ahead of your time, dude!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:12 pm

Johnny!! What happened, Brah?

Your shoulder just started feelin' better, and now this?

Proud of how you got it, but wish you didn't have the pain, my friend. And isn't it fun telling folks how you got hurt?

Healing vibes from Jersey, Amigo!!!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!