Yabba Dabba Doo! Who is up for this...?

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

John Dillon

Yabba Dabba Doo! Who is up for this...?

Post by John Dillon » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:28 am

Hey folks....anybody up for a banked park slalom at Lansdowne the saturday during Halloween weekend? Cabbage, lbk, and myself were thinking about putting this together. Your comments, please. Where are you, Mr.Parsons?

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:13 am

As long as my dad is up for the drive.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:52 pm

where is this place?

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:57 pm

Middle of nowhere Maryland I believe? You can find websites with it where you can find exactly where it is.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:28 am

Lansdowne is in south Baltimore, inside the Baltimore beltway, just off of Hammond Ferry Rd.

Brian Gilbert

Post by Brian Gilbert » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:59 am

yeah i'd be down for banked slalom at landsdowne

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:23 am

Here is a link to some Lansdowne pics:

http://groups.msn.com/OldSchoolSkateboa ... rket=en-us

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:03 pm

WOW, that place looks cool! It just might be worth the trip up there.
Any advice on what kind of board to bring would be helpful.

Nino Almazon

Post by Nino Almazon » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:25 am

hey John, tell Cabbage i'll be down. bring it!

board suggestions.... hmmm. fast poolboards or longboards w/ a tail if you prefer. i'll be bringing my Pocket Pistol Hardcore. longer, GS type boards with long wheelbases from 21"-23" should be the ticket. i have been enjoying taking runs on a Gravity Mini 27" w/ a 15.25" wheelbase, but if there are cones in the back section, i'll be more confident on a longer wheelbase.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:51 am

soft wheels. it is an awesome place to skate, one of my favorites. the gravity mini (nino has it) KILLS it there. soft wheels and loose trucks. im down, i go about every other weekend anyways...

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:52 am

wow nino that was soooo weird, we posted at the same time

John Dillon

Ref: Lansdowne banked park slalom...

Post by John Dillon » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:33 pm

Thanks for the comments, folks, I'll let you all know what's up when I secure the OK from Pks & Rec. How's the bullet wound, Andrew?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:44 pm

Bullet wound????

Is there a story?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:11 pm

Brian Parsons wrote:Bullet wound????

Is there a story?
the story... (or at least part of it)

Q

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:52 pm

I’m sorry to hear of the air-rifle attack. I must say that I am not surprised. The time before last when I was there, someone shot my car (parked on Bero, across the street from the upper path and house with the trampoline out front) with a paint-pellet gun. Based on the way a certain trio of kids was acting before it happened, I have my suspicions as to the culpret. It would be great if Andrew could have the person responsible for his attack be legally punished.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:16 pm

At least with the new parking lot, you can keep your eye on your car these days.

Q

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:56 am

Damn........I can recall getting shot at with BB Guns 20+ years ago while skateboarding Landsdowne. Too bad not much has changed in two decades. Hope Andrew is OK and I hope the kids that did it learn a lesson and straighten themselves out.

However, I say let's try to turn a negative incident into a positive one. On Saturday Sept 19, 2004, there is a scheduled grand re-opening celebration of Landsdowne Skateboard Park. John Dillion has put some serious hard work in getting the celebration together for Baltimore County. Volunteer with us to help run the event. John has had local skate shops and business donate a load of swag to give away. We could do free raffles or hold contest where the kids trying their best (not just the best skateboarder) wins skateboard equipment, etc.

For me, I find that it is easier to take from skateboarding. Conversely, I find it much harder to give back to skateboarding. All of us should try to give back something to the historical skateboard spot that Landsdowne is known for. I know that it is a natural reaction to point out the bad eggs in Lansdwone but instead lets try to thank the cool Baltimore County citizens that have and are supporting the Landsdowne skatepark.

Andrew, how about showing up with me and John Dillon? We could skate in peace and show them you are a bigger man for it. And if need be I can guarantee the day will be safe for everybody.

David Riordon,
Surfrider Foundation Chairman- Washignton DC Chapter
www.dcsurfrider.org
lbk

John Dillon

Saturday Sept 18th....Lansdowne Grand Re-Opening...be there.

Post by John Dillon » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:21 pm

Echo what lbk said...Yes, I want everybody who reads this to come out to Lansdowne and help us Celebrate! I want Andrew to return as well....the shooting won't happen again. We will have fun. I need help setting up early saturday sept 18th in the morn, then u can skate until I have to kick everyone out so the politicians can give their speeches and get their photo ops.Then we charge the skatepark and resume skating. Friends....this event is blowing up and I want you to participate and witness the Funfest. Yes, despite all the rumours you have heard, I am even throwing down a lil inline contest too since a couple of the shops have donated some inline swag...so if ya know a frootbooter or have one in the fam, drag them along. I will be at The Downer at 7:30am...anybody who can help me hang banners and prizes on the fence, set up The Surfrider Foundation table, assist Baltimore County Parks and Recreation staff with their set-up, please see me when you get there...I anticipate the parking lot filling up quickly...so u may need to park in the hood. I may even recruit some of you to help judge but you will be able to skate amongst your age group. Maybe I can enlist the bb gun toter to guard the prizes on the fence? Andrew, please come to this event.....I will not allow what happened to you happen again. As always, everybody please bring elbow and knee pads and a helmet. If anybody else wants to contribute some swag...get in touch w/me before the end of this wknd(443-610-8488cell) so your name will be included in the program(YES, we will have a program to hand out). Did I mention that this is a free contest? Oh yea, this is a fun free contest!!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:39 pm

Wish I could be there, I'm goin' on a cruise with my family. It's more like a sentence than a vacation, but Mom is old and wants to hit the high seas one more time, so what am I gonna do?

Kick some butt for me John and LBK, I'll be there in spirit!!!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:54 am

I'll try and be there? About how long would it take to get there from NoVA?

Brittany Concepcion

Only live things we shoot are birds

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:41 am

Im up for it. I dont have to work anymore so Im free WHOOPIE!!! But Im in if I can scrap up a ride. Andrew I hope you feel better and those kids learn their lesson and get a foam target.