Gaithersburg Open #2, July 24th, Gaithersburg Park and Ride

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:29 pm

Well, its been 1 week since the first Gaithersburg Open, and the second event in the Gaithersburg Open Slalom Series is 1 week away.

Once again, setup will be at 9:00AM, GS practice ("run what you brung", no wheelbase limitations) will start at 10:00. Racing commences at 11:00. Helmets are required, pads optional. (we will have some spare helmets if someone needs to borrow one)

We will set up the hybrid course after the GS is concluded.

In case we get rained out on Saturday, we will hold the event on Sunday, the 25th, same place, same time.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:13 pm

Long range forecast, high temp of 85 with a 40% chance of scattered showers.

See ya there Jeff

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:44 pm

I'm gonna tell my boss not to schedule me Saturday so I can some to this one.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:15 pm

I'll be there. Also, I'll be bringing up to two other young people.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:31 pm

Just a thought, Jack. If you are really interested in getting more involved with slalom skateboarding, you should stick around for both events. The hybrid slalom will give you a better idea of what the sport is all about. There will be plenty of equipment for you to try out, and that will give you a good grasp of what kind of setup feels good to you.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:27 am

I'll be at this one with Danny too. Danny, maybe your dad can drive us this time? Hey Jack how old are you? I feel like me and my friends are the same age or close and are pretty much in the same boat. I hope to see you all there!

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:01 pm

We are fourteen. My friends are Mike and Jordan. I'll definitely stick around for both events.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:23 am

yeah dude me and danny here are 15 and just got involved with slalom over winter and have been longboarding a little over a year (for me 2 years i think). We'll see you there buddy.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:08 pm

Weather update: There will be a cold front moving throu the area late thursday evening making way for a beautiful Saturday with a high temp in the mid-seventies with very little chance of rain. The Gaithersburg Open is looking great.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:40 pm

WANTED
To participate in the second Gaithersburg Open:

LBK and his posse (last seen at T4G in May)
John Dillon and Team Fun (?)
Rene Hayden
Gary Saenz
Jack and Bertleboy Quarantillo
Chris Stepanek

Noticably absent from the first Gaithersburg Open but expected to show this time:

Slappy Maxwell
Jeff Yarrington
Kyle Yarrington

Hope you guys can make it this time.

If you aren't going to the La Costa Open 2004, come on and slalom with us.

John Dillon

I hope to be there...

Post by John Dillon » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:27 pm

Just been wiped out ill all week...guess all that sick skating at Vans last wknd was contagious.....if I don't seek out ocean waves on sat I will c y'all there...I miss y'all. Best of luck to our LaCosta-bound skaters....Anthony Smallwood, Ohm, Parsons, and that sandbagger, the one and only WesE...Go Get 'em DC Crewsters!!!

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:59 pm

KMG,
One of Team Q's vans died on the way home from the beach last week. I'm heading to Philly on Friday for a replacement, if all goes well, I should be back in time for Saturday.

Q

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:50 pm

Well,
So far, I think we are still a GO for tomorrow.

The National Weather Service is predicting "A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 80. North wind between 9 and 14 mph."

Sunday looks about the same. Obviously, a zero percent chance of rain would be a lot easier to plan around, but we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. If we DO get rained out on Saturday, we will try again on Sunday.

Gary Saenz - old

Post by Gary Saenz - old » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:20 pm

I haven't stepped on a board since I got my new job on May 25th but I plan on coming up and seeing if I can still make it through 2-3 cones before blowing out the course. That is, if it doesn't rain.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:13 pm

It looks to me like that this cold front that got here last night is going stall and give us a good chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms. The weather channel website says a 60% chance I think the morning longboard session will be just fine, The regular slalom session might be in jeopardy, But a 40% chance of racing is better then nothing!

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:19 am

Well im sorry guys but since i got in a bit of trouble again this week I wont be making it to the race...my mom said its like algebra and if i screw up on one side then i dont get to go ride on saturday...since im not going i dont think danny is either...I really gotta stop screwing up. But ill see you all hopefully at an oakwood session or something soon before the next race in august.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:57 am

Attention Racers!!

I will be posting tomorrow by 7:15 if the race is postponed (Make
that 7:30 in case I abuse the snooze button!).

Rain date is Sunday, July 25.

Be there or be out of town!!
Good luck to those going to CA.

Dan
------------------------------------------
Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Gary Saenz - old

Post by Gary Saenz - old » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:02 am

I'll be 1.5 hours down the road by 7:15. Guess I'll have to make my own call when I get up.

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:40 am

I cant wait until my job stops in the fall. Then I can come on out and skate with you guys. HAve fun Im hopin to make it to another race sometime soon.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:27 am

Sorry guys but I feel lonely without a fellow nova bomber there.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:42 pm

It's all dry here at the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn at 6:40AM, overcast with a nice breeze. Yvonne and I will be at the Park and Ride between 8:30 and 9:00 to start setting up.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:07 am

Thanks KMG, Yvonne (sp?), and PA Dan!

We had a great time, and I could not believe the number of new faces.

Sorry we missed the Hybrid bracket, but will return for the next DC race.

Q

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:02 am

I'm bummed I missed it again.
But I've got a new, hopefully permanent, job as a Photo Editor for a magazine. I have to finish up some freelance gigs before I start next week.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Gaithersburg Open #2 , July 24th, Gaithersburg Park and Ride

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm

GS Results
Single lane, best of 3 runs, unlimited push

1. Adam Colton 17.7372
2. “PaDan” Mitchell 17.8572
3. Kyle Yarrington 18.0382
4. Kevin Gamble 19.1482
5. Mitch Temoche 20.6112
6. Geoff Biddick 20.9616
7. Jeff “Bozi” Yarrington 21.0432
8. Shawn Gregoire 21.7256
9. Jack Quarantillo 22.7736
10. Justin Crenshaw 23.3772
11. Deanna Colton 24.0016
12. Matt Richard 24.4336
13. Jack Nagle 25.2680
14. Clayton Williams 26.0296
15. “Bertle-Boy” Quarantillo 28.5740
16. Byron Levy 29.6472
17. Tesi Jayson 43.8156

Hybrid Results
Dual lane, 4'x4' start boxes with back-stops, dual elimination

1. “PaDan” Mitchell
2. Adam Colton
3. Matt Richard
4. Kevin Gamble
5. Jeff Boswell
6. Geoff Biddick
7. Shawn Gregoire
8. Justin Crenshaw
9. Clayton Williams
10. Jack Nagle
11. Byron Levy
12. (Tie) Deanna Colton
12. (Tie) Tesi Jayson
Last edited by Kevin M. Gamble on Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:34 pm

And here's the photos!!!

GS Podium

HS Podium

GS Group Shot

Q

-KMG, is there a thread with the 07/10 results where I can post those photos?

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Gaithersburg Open pics

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:38 am

Jack,
Here is the thread for the first Gaithersburg Open slalom event on July 10th.

viewtopic.php?t=1908

Thanks for posting up the pics. BTW, how does Bertle-boy get all the chicks?

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:55 am

Yvonne, Dan, and I arrived early (8:30) at the Park and Ride to try to get things running before the threatening skies opened up on us. We set the GS course, and had the timer set up before 10:00. At that point, we 3 were still the only ones in the parking lot, and it was starting to look like a 2 man Pennsylvania race. Then Jack Q and Bertle-boy showed up, followed by the Yarrington clan. Things were looking up, but the skies still looked "iffy". We started practice, and many more racers showed up. During the racers' meeting, a few of us started to feel occasional sprinkles on our skin, but nothing was showing on the pavement. We ran the GS, and still no rain, but we seemed to be right on the edge of a weather system that was going to open up on us any second. I guess we were having so much fun during the GS that we really didn't notice that the sky was starting to look better, and by the time we started the hybrid, some of us were starting to think about SPF factors and sunburn.

Everyone seemed to have a great time, and most of the second time racers showed much improvement. Adam was on fire, again. He placed first (correction) in the GS, and climbed all the way back up through the losers bracket in the hybrid to challenge PaDan for the win. Adam crossed the line .1 seconds ahead of Dan, but had hit 3 cones. Dan had hit only 1 cone, and with the .1 second cone penalty, pulled ahead on time to beat Adam's challenge by .1 seconds. GREAT RACING! Once Adam masters "the manly art of cone avoidance", he is going to be a serious threat.

At the first Gaithersburg Open, we had 12 racers in the GS, and 6 in the hybrid. That increased to 17 in the GS, and 13 in the hybrid for the 2nd event. DC area slalom racing is alive and well. The Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders want to thank all who helped out before, during, and after these events, and we especially want to thank all of DC regulars, and the first and second-timers who showed up, stepped up, and made these 2 events a success.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the next DC Summer Outlaw race on August 14th.
Last edited by Kevin M. Gamble on Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:18 am

Correction, Adam WON the GS.

Thanks Kevin and Yvonne for keeping the racing going!

I'm stoked to have done well the last two races. See what happens when a few fast guys don't show up??
The new guys were KILLING IT, Matt on a plastic GT Coyote gets third???!!!

Adam, I'm saving money so I can have someone break your legs.
Just kidding, our races were some of the closest and most fun I've had in a while.

For the Dual Slalom Kevin tried a new and different bracketing that allowed racers of similar abilities to run each other early rather than pitting #1 against #16 right off the bat. This made for closer racing and was clearly more fun for the participants and spectators. I (#1 qualifier) had to race Adam (#2 qualifier) in the very first heat. Also, we didn't use two races per heat (one in each lane), so there was no making up a bad run!
After dispensing the young punk :) in the first run, I figured I could sit out the rest of the race 'till the finals.

Nope.

I had to beat every other first round winner to stay alive. With this bracketing each win became less difficult, but I was getting tired. One of my heats had to be re-run due to a cone out of position, I think It was with Clayton (not sure, there were a lot of new faces and my memory isn't as good as it used to be).

In the finals, Adam, coming from the losers bracket, had to beat me twice to win, so there was less pressure on me. Thankfully, I had that cleaner run, 'cause like Kevin said he crossed the line first.
Look at the podium pictures, how I'm sweating after the second race compared to the first. You'll get the idea.

Oh yeah, Adam did all this on a setup that was TOTALLY wrong for the course. Some longboard, Sector Nine I think, Randall trucks and soft Gumballs. Same thing he used in the GS. The guy is a natural.

It was very cool to see all the new(er) people this week. Besides Adam there was Matt, Justin, Clayton, Geoff, Deanna, Byron-not Bryan, Jack, Tesi...there may be more but I already mentioned the memory thing ;)
Also good to see MitchT after a long absence. He's the one who first scoped out the Park-n-Ride, aka Park-n-Race a couple years ago.

One more time....
If I never race anywhere but DC, it will STILL be more
than I ever dreamed of since 1979.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:32 am

wow i dont recognize half of the people in those pictures...I really gotta stop getting in trouble...or at least try and plan it better...

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:32 am

Way to go PA Slalom Skateboarders! Thanks for keeping the slalom stoke alive for DC.

I posted up the next race on the the Washington DC Surfrider Foundation blog's calendar. Check it out by going to http://dcsurfrider.org and clicking on calendar up on the tool bar. Anybody can join and start posting even skateboard events for the rest of the DC area surfers to see.

DR

PS, I probably would have got my tail beat by at least half of the riders on Saturday.
lbk

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:44 am

how does Bertle-boy get all the chicks?
Style... it's all about style

;)

Q

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

DC Summer Outlaw, August 14th

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Just to be clear, the next race at the Gaithersburg Park and Ride is not another Gaithersburg Open event.

The next event is part of the DC Summer Outlaw series being run by Brian Parsons.

The 2 Gaithersburg Open events were held by the Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders to fill in a gap in the DC Summer Outlaw racing calendar, just to keep the slalom flame burning in DC. I think they fulfilled their intended purpose quite successfully.

If all of the Gaithersburg Open racers show up at the DC Summer Outlaw event on August 14th along with all of the DC regulars, we are going to have a record attendance for a DC Outlaw event.

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:18 am

Just got back from California and all I can say is, Danny's correct.
WesE DOES rule. How about 3rd place in the B group?? Remember, over 80 contestants in California at La Costa.......a heavy freakin' hill! The guy killed it. Everyone was ripping and the Mollica Man ripped the hardest, with Steve Olson right behind him. Some of the coolest racing I've ever seen.
Good job to all involved.

Glad to see it was still going on in DC. Congrats to the podium people

David Riordon

Re: DC Summer Outlaw, August 14th

Post by David Riordon » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:15 am

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:Just to be clear, the next race at the Gaithersburg Park and Ride is not another Gaithersburg Open event.

Fixed it.
lbk

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:40 am

do i have to sign up to do the outlaw events?

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:42 am

P.S. anthony flis im the guy with the mismatched chucks. Dont know why i said that, but i feel we are connected by our minimal age difference.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:21 pm

Jack,
All you gotta do is show up!

Q