Gaithersburg Open Slalom Series

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:56 pm

Due to other events being scheduled in July (Checkers Bowl Series, La Costa) and individual personal commitments, there are no DC Outlaw races scheduled for July. However, for those who can't travel to California, or are not planning to skate in the Checkers Bowl Series (http://www.checkersseries.com/), and want to slalom, the Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders are pleased to announce the Gaithersburg Open Slalom Series.

As of now, 2 events are planned for July 10th (rain date July 11th), and July 24th (rain date July 25th). These events are NOT part of the DC Summer Outlaw racing series, and will have no effect on points being accumulated in that particular series. The races will be held at the Gaithersburg Park and Ride, and will follow generally the same format as the DC Outlaw events. There might be a few minor changes, but if you have attended any of Brian Parsons’ DC Outlaw events, you will know what to expect.

Setup will be at 9:00AM, longboard practice ("run what you brung", no wheelbase limitations) will start at 10:00. Racing commences at 11:00.

Hybrid course setup, practice, and dual racing will follow the conclusion of the longboard event.

Special thanks to Brian Parsons for letting us borrow his timer.
Last edited by Kevin M. Gamble on Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:41 am

Alright!! Thats cool, count me in!

Rock on!!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:28 am

Cool!
PA Slalom Skateboarders Rule.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Timer exchange

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:39 am

The Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders need a little logistical help for the 1st event on July 10th. Yvonne and I will be driving down the Friday night before the race, and PA Dan will probably drive down early Saturday morning. But, we still need someone to help us get Brian's timer before we start setting up. Can any of the DC locals help us out?

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:50 am

Kevin,

Cool idea. I'll be tied up with the Checker's Series so I have an excuse for not letting you kick my @#% through the cones. Somebody should be able to get the timer from Brian for you.

Have fun.

DR
lbk

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:31 pm

I could help but it would a lot easier for Wes to pick up the timer seeing that he lives so much closer to Brian then I do.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Timer for Gaithersburg Open

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:10 am

Jeff,
At this point, we still haven't completed the transfer of Brian's timer to someone in the G'burg area. There are a few different ways that could work:

1. If someone could get the timer from Brian and deliver it to the Park and Ride on the 10th at 9:00 AM.

2. If someone could get the timer from Brian and then get it to someone who will be at the Park and Ride on the 10th at 9:00 AM.

3. If someone could get the timer from Brian and then deliver it to the front desk at the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn anytime between now and the 9th. I could then pick it up when we check in on the 9th.

Obviously, this logistical problem is a little more difficult for the Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders since, by definition, we live in Pennsylvania, and not Gaithersburg Maryland. But, we felt attendance would be rather low if we held the events in the land of potholes and taxes........

Dan Mitchell

Re: Timer for Gaithersburg Open

Post by Dan Mitchell » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:10 am

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:
the land of potholes and taxes........
Amen brother...Amen
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:50 am

Doesn't Parsons live next to PA off of Rural Rte. 15?
lbk

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:59 am

Guys,
Normally, I'd chime in and help, but I'll be at the Joisey shore from Wednesday night (7/7) on... If Mother Ocean cooperates, I'll catch some waves for each of you.

Enjoy the P&R and Checkers. (I'm sorry we're missing both)

Q

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:11 pm

Kevin,

No worries,

I just noticed that Curt changes the old guys and longboard events to Sunday. So I should be able to help you get started on Saturday and maybe even skate a little.

B.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:23 pm

Fantastic, Brian. You are da man! Thanks from all of the Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:21 pm

Me and danny should be there at the races. I just built myself a board that i need to try out on a real course that on my street handles better than my bahne so Im itchin to run some cones. Cant wait to see people there.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Gaithersburg Open Slalom race

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:26 pm

Only 1 week till the first Gaithersburg Open Slalom race. Thanks to Brian P for providing the timing system. Thanks in advance to Yvonne for timing and scoring. This is an outlaw event; no permits, no entry fees, no insurance. Helmets are a minimum safety requirement, pads are a pretty good idea, also.

Just as a reminder, if we get rained out on Saturday, the 10th, the race will be held on Sunday, the 11th. Same time, same Park and Ride.

(DC Outlaw staff meteorologist Wes E can probably keep us updated on local weather conditions as we get closer to race day)

See ya at the Park and Ride,
PaDan, Yvonne, and Kevin

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Re: Gaithersburg Open Slalom race

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:56 am

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:(DC Outlaw staff meteorologist Wes E can probably keep us updated on local weather conditions as we get closer to race day)
I will try, Kevin. Unfortunately, “I” can only predict the weather a couple days in advance.

See you there!
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:32 pm

Wes, it's easy! It's July! Hazy, hot and humid with a 30% chance of scattered afternoon thunderstorms. Your slippin.' Do we need to get another Gaithersburg Open amateur meteorologist?

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:10 pm

Hello everbody. I just met some guy named jack at lowes and i had my longboard with me. He told me about this event and im really interested. what is the normal age range for this type of event?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:26 pm

Jack,

If you're old enough to get online and type with a certain degree of intelligibility, you're old enough to participate.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:17 pm

Tremendous, what time should I arrive on Saturday?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:45 pm

The first course will probably be set and open for practice by 10am.

Make sure to check this topic on the Friday before, in case any changes are made.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:49 pm

Jack!
Glad you found the site.

I'll be at the beach this weekend, hopefully I'll Catch you at another race.

Q

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:57 am

I must work on Saturday and Tony is busted by his 'rents. I really need to make some races this summer...

Whoever I owe money for the dh trucks, I haven't forgot.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:03 pm

andybody have directions to this place?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:56 pm

Jack,

(Directions from Lowes, as I know you know how to get there) ;)

If you go East on Quince Orchard Road, past NIST, past Clopper Rd, past Criswell Chevrolet, past Red Roof/(Motel 6 whatever that place is called), under RailRoad Bridge, then turn Right into the Park & Ride, you're there.

I won't be there this week :(

Q

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:57 pm

jack nagle wrote:andybody have directions to this place?
From the intersection of Quince Orchard Rd and Clopper Rd, take Quince Orchard NE (towards the Motel-6). On Quince Orchard, just after you go under the train trestle, you will see the Park & RIde lot on your right (there is also a sign for it under the trestle). Take a right at the traffic light, into the P&R. We will be set up at the top-left portion of the lot.

Danny,
We’ll see you guys next time around then.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:09 pm

Jack Quarantillo wrote:Directions from Lowes
Thanks, Quaballero! Now I know how to get to Lowes! (Was not able to get directions from other local G-burg slalomers in the past).

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:45 pm

WesE,
You still gotta turn left on Great Seneca Hwy off of QO Rd. then right between KMart and Lowes...

Q

John Dillon

Yo Danny, ref: DH trucks

Post by John Dillon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:21 am

That was me...how you liking those trucks? All in time...I know you're good for it....but I guess I won't chase you down any hills to get it....did u get a beefier helmet, yet??

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:58 am

I have a job now so all I need to do is keep enoug money in my pocket to get the right equipment. I've been using the hangers on R-II baseplates on my Landy DH Race. Very Stable. At Van Dorn all probably strap the whole DH truck on.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:17 pm

hey if someone see's jeff bozi this weekend and im not there could you remind him that im still waiting for my board and thats its been about 4 weeks since i ordered it?

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:39 pm

The first event in the Gaithersburg Open Slalom Series is ON! The weather forecast looks great, and the Pennsylvania Slalom Skateboarders are ready to race.

GS practice ("run what you brung", no wheelbase limitations) will start at 10:00 Saturday morning at the Gaithersburg Park and Ride. Racing commences at 11:00.

After the GS, we will then run the dual lane hybrid.

Helmets please everyone. Head injuries are a real buzz-kill.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:57 pm

is this all slalom?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

As Opposed To What?

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:37 pm

Jack,

What else is there?

Yes, it's all slalom... longboard and regular.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:04 am

This sounds pretty cool, I'll be there to check it out. Not sure if I'll participate.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:30 am

If you have a board then compete. These guys let me and Tony's ADD friend that was never at the top of the hill when he was supposed to be going race. And he wasn't so good either. Just have fun. :)

Oh, and WesE Rules. :)

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:27 pm

This was my first time at one of these events, and it was a lot of fun. I really want to thank everyone who took part for a great time.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:58 pm

I'm bummed I couldn't make it. Car is in the shop for tran$mi$$ion probs.

Who showed up? Sure has been a quiet summer for slalom.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:19 pm

i wish i could have been there to test out my homemade slalom board which just on my street runs great but my pumping skills arent the greatest....but today i rode the farthest ive ever ridden before. I rode to lakefairfax because the hill there which i remember from cub scouts is sooo gnarly. The thing is that i live a good 10 or more miles from here and it took me to get there a good hour and 45 minutes but getting back only an hour or so since i went back a different faster and more direct way. The hill tho is worth an hour ride but there is a good deal of traffic on a saturday but the hill was easily a good 45mph hill with 3 fair turns. The first turn you just get tucked and could go through at 20 - 25 then the second turn is a tighter right hand turn which youd hit at 30 - 35 then you go up slightly then like a rollercoaster you just get dropped and it goes down and into a left turn that youd hit at about 45 and i wish i could have done the whole thing and tucked it all the way but their was too much traffic but this thing was a monster. I also found a good parking lot in reston for setting a nice hybrid slalom but i need a lot more cones.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:17 am

Fun race today, thanks to the PA Slalom Skaters.

Although this includes me, it was Kevin and Yvonne Gamble who did most of the work.
Some regulars were AWOL, but it was way cool to see all the new blood.

Burns, Geoff (damn, hope I spelled that right!), Deanna, Clayton, Jack...there's more but I can't recall right now.
Some of you are kickin a#@!

Kevin/Yvonne will post results in a day or two.

In case someone hasn't heard...If I never race anywhere but
Gaithersburg, it will STILL be more and better than I could have even
dreamed of just 5 years ago!!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

[b]Gaithersburg Open, July 10th, 2004[/b]

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:11 pm

Well, first of all I'd like to thank PaDan, Yvonne, BrianP, Jeff Boswell, and WesE for their individual contributions and help running this event. Dan is too humble, he was a big part of this event. Plus, he won both races!

And thanks to the local police department for not putting us in jail. Seems that a passerby spotted us from a distance with a nice stack of red and white 3DM cones, and thought we were about to shoot-off the biggest home-made rocket they had ever seen. The officer was very understanding and polite, and after a few nervous moments, we all (including the police officer) had a good laugh about it.

I threw in a few visual distractions in the GS course......... (those who were there know what I'm referring to............ if you didn't show, you'll just have to guess what funnels and tunnels are).

GS, single lane, best of 3 runs

Place Name Time

1 Dan Mitchell (PaDan) 19.451
2 Wes Eastridge (WesE) 20.099
3 Adam Colton 20.101
4 Eric Wallgren (Geezer X) 20.882
5 Kevin Gamble (KMG) 20.906
6 Andy Bittner (GBJ) 21.961
7 Geoff Biddick 22.310
8 Mike Burns 23.354
9 Jeff Boswell 23.751
10 Jack Nagle 27.795
11 Deanna Colton 28.317
12 Clayton Williams 29.076

The hybrid was right out the Super Serpentine© ("Serpentine, Shell, serpentine!!!) school of course-setting, and I tried to throw in everything but the kitchen sink. (Dan, can you get a kitchen sink for the 24th?) There weren't any areas where you could relax, and everybody's legs felt it.

Single lane hybrid, 50 cones, approx. 1 hour jam session

Place Name Time

1 Dan Mitchell (PaDan) 21.653
2 Wes Eastridge (WesE) 21.773
3 Kevin Gamble (KMG) 21.867
4 Eric Wallgren (Geezer X) 22.623
5 Jeff Boswell 23.870
6 Mike Burns 25.592

(Hey, I finally made the podium!, sorry Eric)

It was great to see all of the new faces, and some old friends as well. Looking forward to the next race in 2 weeks.

Hey Jack, maybe you can get your Dad to race, too?!
Last edited by Kevin M. Gamble on Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:57 pm

Wouldn't that be a sight? I'm looking foward to the race on the 24th. I'll try to bring my friend Mike Milner. Are there any more events like this planned after the one on the 24th?

Slappy Maxwell

Re: [b]Gaithersburg Open, July 10th, 2004[/b]

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:35 pm

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:And thanks to the local police department for not putting us in jail. Seems that a passerby spotted us from a distance with a nice stack of red and white 3DM cones, and thought we were about to shoot-off the biggest home-made rocket they had ever seen. The officer was very understanding and polite, and after a few nervous moments, we all (including the police officer) had a good laugh about it.
There is some paranoid motherf'ers in Gaithersburg. That's almost as good as the 'gang' meeting during the Gathering.

On the Virginia side you just have to watchout for the cops thinking your looking for hot gay sex. It seems there is another place besides the Manassas Battlefield road to add to the list.

Last weekend I stopped at the Washington Sailing Marina to skate the bike path that runs along the Potomac from Mt. Vernon to DC. The main parking lot was full so I went to the additional parking lot. Right as I pulled out the longboard (no pun intended) a bunch of park police flew into the lot like an action movie. All these middle aged white guys ran outta the woods and jumped in their cars. Very freaky...
I think I'll park at Gravelly Point from now on.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Washington Marina

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:54 pm

Yeah, Slappy. I got an education like that one day. Back when I was a chauffeur we'd park at Gravelly Point or Roaches Run, waiting to service National Airport. I'd run up the parkway to use the bathrooms at the Marina. Eventually, I decided it was as good a place to park as either of the other two, unless I particularly wanted to watch the airplanes landing from Gravelly Point. Anyway, I was sitting in my car one day in the marina parking lot and noticed two cars flashing their headlights at each other, then the dudes got out and went into the men's room. It was like one of those George Michael-things like in Beverly Hills or LA or wherever that was. I went back to hanging out at Gravelly and peeing in the temporaries there.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:43 am

I missed this race, but here's some pics:

GS Group Shot

GS Podium

HS Podium

And a great shot of "The Usual Suspects"

Q

ps... WesE, in the future, please keep your shirt on!!! :)