Summer Outlaw Series

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:35 am

Do away with the back stops! Instead use a box that your pushing off foot has to stay in. I think that would help simplify the starts. Also, it would be cool to see people like GBJ and Wesly Tucker do that crow hop start thingy.

By the way Tentative Vintage Day and Longboard Day is in November. Here is the info.

5th Annual Vintage Skateboard and Longboard Skateboard Day

When:
Saturday, November 06 2004 @ 10:00 AM EST - 10:00 PM EST

Where:
Vans Skatepark
Potomac Mills Mall
2700 Potomic Mills Cir., Ste. 202
Woodbridge, VA 22192

Description:
In the planning stages but people will be displaying vintage skateboard gear, Cabbage will defend his Bank Slalom title, and we might do some silent auctions on a couple of collector items. Keep an eye on http://dcsurfrider.org/calendar.php for more info. to come.
lbk

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:16 pm

aaaahhhh, LBK.... the Minister of Misinformation. I can crow hop with backstops, I can't crow hop with a small(er) box drawn around my ground foot. Keep the large starting box with backstops.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:56 pm

LBK,

Any flat slalom this year?

Yer pal Joe,
Team Hop Head Start

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:18 pm

Brian Parsons wrote:

I would also like to propose that some of the DC area guys go up to some of Noahs spots in New Jersey and invite the New York,New Jersey, Penn and CT crowd and have a race in their hood. Let me know if there is a good weekend that would work for this.

The CT crowd is in. We'd like to have more than one CT race in 05. We need to trailer the ramps and need a timer, but those are mear details.

I'd also like to propose we offer bed and breakfast to out of town racers on a reciprocal basis. We all spend plenty of money, let's do what we can for each other.

Joe Iacovelli
Team Less Travel More Race

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:02 am

Backstops or no backstops, doesn't matter to me. I think a racer should be able to deal with whatever starting format the organizer decides to implement. The ramps at the Farm had backstops, only mahogany instead of neoprene.

I think that rain dates are a no-brainer; always set a rain date. Your chances of getting in a dry event improve dramatically. If you get rained out both days, at least you tried to have a backup plan rather than cancelling. Racing on wet surfaces is stupid. Serenity now..................

I would like to see double eliminations instead of singles. If you only race against your opponent once per round instead of twice, it doesn't take any longer to run the event compared to single eliminations with 1 run in each lane per round. One minor issue is deciding lane choice, and qualifying times can be used for this. Also, the tabulations are easier and go much quicker; basically the winner advances, and the loser moves to the losers bracket. We used this at one of the Gaithersburg Open events, and it worked well.

As far as courses, I like the longboard/"run what ya brung" style courses, and the technical courses, too. I vote for keeping both. Dual lanes are much more fun than single lane events.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:16 pm

These are my own thoughts, not borrowed from anyone:

Backstops or no backstops, doesn't matter to me.

I think that rain dates are a no-brainer; always set a rain date. Racing on wet surfaces is stupid.

As far as courses, I like the longboard "run what ya brung" style courses, and the technical courses, too. I vote for keeping both.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:51 am

How 'bout free beer to the top 5......no wait....... top 10..........
no wait.......top 15??!!.......OK, free beer for me, and anyone who
finishes above me :) :) :)

Brian buys!!
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:58 am

It looks like I need to practice practice prictice

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:09 am

Maybe we can have an extra long class for the LB slalom since there's some boards that are basically bigger slalom boards and rip through it very fast. So if we just have another group for larger wheel bases eliminating all those boards making it a lot more longboardish and less slalomish.

I don't think that made any sense...

Anybody understand what I'm trying to say?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:48 am

Danny,
I fully understand what you're saying.

At one of the races this summer, I warmed up on "the dresser" which is huge... 36" between truck holes, equipped with Indy 215s and Gumballs.

I raced on my Bozi GS, which is just under 30" axle to axle, equipped with 130 Seismics and Avalons.

Needless to say the latter is more of a Slalom board.

I think we should allow both types. If we're doing single lane jam format, just run 'em all, and sort out the GS vs LS into two groups at the end.

If we do head to head, I thing there should be different brackets, but could probably use the same course.

Q

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:41 pm

Jack,
I think we should allow both types. If we're doing single lane jam format, just run 'em all, and sort out the GS vs LS into two groups at the end.
If we would do this, it then becomes important to specify AND ADHERE TO a strict axle-axle dimension to define a longboard (over 30" was the old criteria). This was a problem in the past; rules were bent, which eventually lead to the axle-axle rule being eliminated since it wasn't being enforced.

John Dillon

I've always liked using the real longboards....

Post by John Dillon » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:26 pm

w/36"wheelbase minimum.....let's just start our own race, Danny! Well, since I'm on crutches for awhile....I won't be able to race for awhile.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:13 pm

JD,

If a board's that big, why don't you just lay on it?

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:05 pm

So, how hard will this be. Harder than a 2? ill just watch.

Jack Nagle

Post by Jack Nagle » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:08 pm

oh yeah, and this is in the actual park, right?[/i]