Longboard Slalom - Is it viable at DC Outlaw events?

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Longboard Slalom - Is it viable at DC Outlaw events?

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:05 pm

Hey you stinkin' Outlaws,

Over the past couple of months I've been thinking about something and finally made my thoughts known to others involved in the DC Outlaw scene. Specifically, I was really wondering just how stoked people are about longboard slalom? I know it's done every race and there seems to be some competition, but from where I stand as an observer, it really looks like most everyone involved is just going through the motions until a "real" dual course is set and regular slalom gets underway. There are even a number of racers now who just plan on showing up at 11:30 and skipping the LB event altogether.

Although I'm not in a position to say, "no more longboard racing!", what I would like to do is get a concensus as to how interested THE MAJORITY of DC racers are in continuing with the event. I spoke at length with BP in Mississippi about it and made the following suggestion: we tend to set a "Hybrid/tight" course for the dual racing - how about setting a "Hybrid/GIant" course for qualifying? No wheelbase requirements, just something that is both conducive to the longer "regular" slalom boards and also if anyone wants to take a longboard through the course, feel free. My other suggestion is to use the "Hybrid/Giant" course race as a way of qualfying for the "Hybrid/tight" duals later in the day. I know its a totally different course with a totally different set up, but what the hell? This is outlaw racing. Let's break some rules!

So what is a "Hybrid/Giant" course? Let's keep this simple: it's a giant slalom single-lane course that will still fit in the confines of the P&R. That's all. Let's not go off on a tangent of trying to define terms. What I'm really thinking about is a course that will challenge the Banshee, Blackbirds, Bonitas and Bozi boards of the world. Something that is turny, flowing and fast but not wide open like the current Longboard courses.

To summarize:

• Do we as Outlaws want to continue having longboard slalom events?
• Would we as Outlaws enjoy a more giant-slalom race?
• What about using the GS race as qualifying for the Dual race? (Hey, if nothing else, it might mix up the qualifying a little bit so that Noah, Ohm, Vlad and BP are positioned someplace different on the bracket for a change!)

One last thing: I don't want to step on any longboarders' toes. This isn't an effort to exclude anyone. But maybe after a couple of years of racing its time to take stock and see what everyone is thinking and how the races should go this summer.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:04 pm

The dual LB course on 2/14 was great!

I think we should continue in that format, then run TS/HS.

Keep them separate IMO.

summary

2 lane GS/LB (go loose on the definitions of LB)
2 man qualifiers
draw up the brackets (A&B if enough peeps show), then
Head to head

then lunch/pee break

then...
the same for HS/TS
2 lanes qualifiers
draw brackets
2 lanes head to head

JMO
Q

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:08 pm

I love the longboard slalom racing cuz im much better at running my longboard than i am at trying to keep up with you guys running the hybrid/ts course and longboarding is my main thing anyway. I agree with jack about the 2 lane longboard slalom and keeping the events seperate cuz if the longboard slalom were to qualify you for the hybrid/tight id be in quite a pickle trying to race against people who are much better than me at the hybrid course but im better at running longboard. Get it? Thats just my opinion tho.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:33 am

I for one don't race the longboard slalom and hate standing around waiting for the real slalom to begin. The longboard slalom just always seems to drag on...and on...and on......But that is me. The hill at P&R isn't that steep and not that fast.....you could barely run a decent "GS" there, at least one that would be fun. Longboards are more about flow so the big sweeping sllloooowww turns at P&R are fine for that.

On the plus side the longboard deal has attracted alot of new faces. When i am down there now I don't recognize about half the people there anymore and I notice most of them are there to race longboards. So keep it....but for god's sake make it REAL longboards....42"+ wheelbases (like ed economy decks).....none of this 30" inner to inner stuff (I can get my 36" GS deck to be a "longboard" if i want to....

So ya it should stay. I'd like to see it run faster, but people seem to enjoy it and it attracts people...that is good.

Plus running a fairly mellow longboard slalom race allows us to run harder more fun shortboard slalom courses. Everyone still gets in some turns....

As vlad would say anyway..."Aren't all DC outlaw races longboard slalom anyway..." haha

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:35 am

What da hell, Wesley Tucker,,, What’s with the suggestion of doing away with the LB slalom? The “number of racers now who just plan on showing up at 11:30 and skipping the LB event altogether” is ONE (1) person that I know of. Or do you skip it too? Just because you don’t take part in it, doesn’t mean that it is worthless. Maybe you should consider the possibility that sometimes people might not want to get up that early on a Saturday morning, or that they have other commitments that need to be taken care of before they can skate. I’ve missed the LB race a couple times myself, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy it.

I see nothing good coming out of having a GS as the qualifying course for the traditional slalom. If there was a purpose in doing that, you would see it going on at more than just the one race that gave you the idea.

The LB-race is there for a purpose, and that purpose is fun. Don’t like fun ? Don’t come.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:33 am

I know what you mean, Wes. For some of us making a race in Maryland is so easy while for others its a tremendous sacrifice of time and energy.

This is what I like about the Internet: topical discussions about an issue without lowering it to a personal level and making it something vile and distasteful. "Don't like it, don't come!" I believe that's the basis of my topic, Wes: how many people do like it and how many don't? By the way, Wes, I never said I don't like it. I said I don't do it and wanted to find out by raising the topic if there's any desire to do something else. And trust me, Wes, I didn't pull this out of my hat for no reason.

Keep up the good work, Wes. It's your brilliant and chiding insight that keeps us all on our toes.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:58 am

silly rabbit,
tricks are for kids,
longboards are for kooks
lbk

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:10 am

Damn, I've been found out earlier than I anticipated.

You know, Dave, I only posted this topic to PISS YOU OFF! :-P

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:15 am

Wesley,

You've been putting me to shame lately by making it up for the Outlaw Races while I'v been MIA. Looking forward to hanging out with you at the Gathering.

DR
lbk

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:24 am

No, Wesley. You do not know what I mean. The LB race is part of the race series. You are not going to change that. And the argument was never lowered to a personal level until your “response to my post”. Stepanek doesn’t want to do the LB race, so he doesn’t come until it’s over. Noah comes and participates in it. Both of them are cool with the LB race.

I am curious how the conversation between you and Brian went when you brought up your issue to him at the MS race. I find it hard to beleive that he gave any consideration at all to what you are suggesting.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

DC Outlaw Longboard Races

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:41 pm

Personally, I participate in the longboard races because they are there. Whatever style of slalom race is being set up, I try to participate. If it is unlimited push, so be it. 4' start box with backstops, fine with me. 30" wheelbase, cool. I feel that, to be an all-around better slalomer, I have to be prepared for whatever type of course is set up.

I think that Chris raises a very good point about the longboard event attracting new blood. The more, the merrier.

Also, I think that the longboard races, which are usually held before the hybrid, are a good way to warm up for the more technical course.

But, I don't think that it is a good idea to use one type of course as a qualifier for another, especially if a different equipment setup is required. Qualifying better than Noah, Ohm, Vlad, and BP is easy; just skate faster and cleaner than them! If the only way I could beat them was by changing the qualifying rules to put them at a disadvantage, I wouldn't feel that I had won anything. Hell, if I thought that was a way to win, I'd have been lobbying for age brackets long ago! As it is now, I feel pretty good when I place better that someone 10-30 years younger than me..........

Sorry, got a little wrapped around the axle there..........but I'm feeling MUCH better now.

P.S. After all of the above has been said, if the longboard axle-to-axle requirement is increased to more than 30", I'm afraid that I wouldn't fit a new, longer deck in the car or the budget. In that case, I'll still be there supporting the race as a conehead, or wherever I can help. But, I'd much rather skate............

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:52 pm

What are the board and wb requirements for dc longboard slalom?

Props Mr. Tucker for representing the southern states at the dc races.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:38 pm

Tom,
The DC longboard spec quoted to me (and mentioned above by Kevin) is 30 inches, axle to axle.

KMG - I definitely agree on the point that the LB race is a good "warm up" for the harder stuff. I showed up late one week, missed the LB race, tried to run the HS, and turned into "Mr. Farmer" (coneplow).

And it doesn't make sense to me to use one discipline as a qualifier for another.

Q

Anthony Smallwood

outlaw series

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:40 pm

If you guys do away with the longboard race, can I use my longboard in the TS? You guys can do whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me. Hell, I like that course Pa Dan set in the picture. I have a different concept of fast, so I slalom purely for fun.
Almost every skater has a longboard so anyone can participate. Tight slalom gear however, is expensive and only for the serious racers of which we have 5-6.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:49 pm

keep it, its fun

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:00 pm

Vlad Popov wrote:Keep the LBSL alive!

hahahahaha...vlad you know you scare me sometimes, right?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:30 pm

Not to worry, Chris. I'm a psychologist. Please see me on Friday night after my sessions with teens who like longboard slalom.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:47 pm

Longboard slalom is what I'm best at but I think that we need more push off room. My first race was at fountain head and we had a lot more room to push and it was much faster. At the P&R I noticed that it was a lot slower because we didn't have as much room to push and the hill wasn't as steep.

I don't care about the wheel base thing. I got a 36" I usually use but I can use my 48" pintail if needed. But if other people need new equipment so they can race the longboard slalom with a higher wheelbase then we should keep it the same.

Dan Mitchell

Re: DC Outlaw Longboard Races

Post by Dan Mitchell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:36 am

Kevin M. Gamble wrote: After all of the above has been said, if the longboard axle-to-axle requirement is increased to more than 30", I'm afraid that I wouldn't fit a new, longer deck in the car or the budget.
C'mon Kevin! Who you tryin' to kid!!?? :)
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:46 am

C'mon Kevin! Who you tryin' to kid!!??
Hey Dan,
I traded in my old Chevy Blazer POS for a Subaru Outback Sport. Consequently, I've had to make some interesting choices as to what equipment I can carry with me. The Leemo just fits.

On the other hand, I could probably park my new ride in the back of the huge Casey Jones diesel locomotive you've been driving.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:58 am

Subaru is a proud sponsor of the DC Outlaw Race Team.
lbk

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:10 am

Kevin M. Gamble wrote:
C'mon Kevin! Who you tryin' to kid!!??
Hey Dan,
I traded in my old Chevy Blazer POS for a Subaru Outback Sport.
WHY? chevy rocks

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:40 pm

WHY? chevy rocks
Seth i come from a chevy family and i completely agree unless he said he bought the wrx then id just be happy cuz that thing is fast.....didnt mean to start hijacking the thread....sorry....

Anthony Smallwood

car wars

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:55 pm

Sorry guys, but the Honda Element is the true boardriders choice.
It's the first vehicle designed with us in mind.

I can't wait to hit the rode at midnight, drive to the eastern shore, sleep flat for a couple hours, then hit dawn patrol.

Honestly, after being car-less for two years, ANYTHING is nice.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:40 pm

Davemo has got it on us all!! The VW Bus is the best surf/ skate vehicle ever made, period. A Woody wagon runs a very close second.

Jack Quarantillo

Re: car wars

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:03 am

Anthony Smallwood wrote:Sorry guys, but the Honda Element is the true boardriders choice.
It's the first vehicle designed with us in mind.

I can't wait to hit the rode at midnight, drive to the eastern shore, sleep flat for a couple hours, then hit dawn patrol.
Got any room for Q?
Got racks for Q's 10'0"?

Q

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:06 am

The Element is way cool. I tried to talk Tammy into one when she was shopping for an SUV.
She kept saying "that thing's ugly!".
I said "It's not ugly, it's distinctive".
She said "It's distinctively ugly!".
So we got a Nissan Murano.
It's ...ummm...distinctive.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Anthony Smallwood

surf

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:53 am

Actually Dan, I think the Murano is the slickest looking car on the road....I love it, but I don't think you'll be hauling Q and his 10'0" to the beach as easily.
Q, you off during the week at all?
I've forsaken surf for downhill skating the last four years and that is about to change.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:26 am

Anthony,
Once the water warms up a bit, I'll put my wave radar on...

I can pull a weekday here and there. (when the surf is up!!!)

I haven't been able to get wet much since the twins came on the scene, but now that they're older, I'm feeling the need...

this is a thread about longboards, right? ;)

Q

Anthony Smallwood

longboard

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:11 am

Nice board Q, where have I seen that design??

I'm going to Puerto Rico for a few days right after the Gathering. I'll be in old San Juan and won't have time to hit the north coast. Has anyone surfed La Perla? Beside the fact that it's a notorious slum, how is the wave?

Speaking of surf cars, there's an incredible Rolls-Royce woody wagon at the Ron Jon's in Ft. Lauderdale. I'll post a picture if I can find it.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:28 am

where have I seen that design??
uhhhh..... I dunno.....

hahaha... kinda used the surfboard for inspiration for 'da dresser...

btw... 'da dresser is 36" axle to axle...

Q

John Dillon

Kev & WesE both riding for Subaru?

Post by John Dillon » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:22 am

I think both these guys just got new wheels...I believe they are both riding for(in) Subaru vehicles. Not to bring it up again.......but 30" wb is really too short to be called for a lb....it should be a longer wb. However, I enjoy it....ie, the lb slalom race a bit more than the TS....and I have fun doing the TS too. Yo Q: I'm getting to love my Bulldog LB even better now!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:31 am

It's been proven more then once: there's no difference between a 42-inch longboard with a 36-inch wheelbase and a 36-inch longboard with a 30-inch wheelbase on most of the "DC longboard" courses. A set-up makes (99%) more difference then a wheelbase.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri May 07, 2004 3:22 pm

I had never seen longboard slalom prior to G4. Though I was busy running PSR course mainly because there was a section of the course towards the middle that I was trying to figure out. When I came up the hill I looked torwards the right. And I was mesmorized I stood there and watched these guys on these longboards with big trucks and huge wheels carve down the side of the hill, they did it with such grace and control, alot of style. It was like watching Big Foot truck going down a hill. I am probably going to change the set-up on my 36 inch Bozi. Any suggestions Dudes on set-ups ? Eddy Texas Outlaws.