LONGBOARD PHOTO SHOOT for Concrete Wave Mag. 3/21 2pm

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

David Riordon

LONGBOARD PHOTO SHOOT for Concrete Wave Mag. 3/21 2pm

Post by David Riordon » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:28 am

LONGBOARD PHOTO SHOOT SKATE JAM

SUNDAY 3/21/03 2:00 PM

OAKWOOD RD, ALEXANDRIA, VA (hard left off of South Van Dorn St)

MAP FOR DIRECTIONS:
Click here for MapQuest map URL

ORGANIZED BY JAM LONGBOARDS http://www.jamlongboarding.com/

FORMAT: All are welcome, bring your longboard and just have fun hamming it up for the camera.
Lots of pictures will be taken and submitted along with a short write up to
Concrete Wave mag http://www.concretewavemagazine.com/.

PS: I got this info. from Mark McMullen (co-owner of Jam Longboards).
I plan to be there with the likes of John Dillon.
Come on out with your longboard and I know there will be
Jam Longboards (the longest boards on the market) to try out.
lbk

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:38 am

a little more heads up next time! i may be able to show...

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:41 pm

I'll do my best to show up.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:08 am

Darn, it’s going to be windy again tomorrow.
After being blown around for awhile at VanDorn,
we should then go bomb OCC (park is now open!).
I really need some of that since I only got to
bomb the bottom half of it the last time we
were there.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:14 am

OH MY GOD MY MOM SAID I CAN GO IM SO HAPPY/EXCITED! I cant wait to see you all there and to ride that monster on my new (already flat spotted) 85mm kryptos.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:43 pm

My dad said I can go but he's a little worried from me falling last time. Anybody have an extra full face helmet I can borrow?

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:35 am

Well that was fun today. I need a faster longer hill with some turns now...

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:12 am

any good shots taken?

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:15 am

Had a good time doing some casual longboarding with the crew. Thanks to Matt & Mark of Jam Longboards for getting us together to skate.

Highlights of the day:

*Watching the NoVa Bomber Young Bucks pushing as hard as they could from the top just to draft each other. Guts!! You can tell Anthony Smallwood has influenced these kids...... By the way, NoVA Bombers (Danny, Jim and Anthony) NEED TO GET some real downhill helmets, leathers, and slider gloves before somebody gets hurt real bad.

*GQ's newest model, WesE, was quoted as saying, "You can use speed wobbles to your advantage".

*Fairfax County Cops that came buy to check out the boards and watch us ride. One was a skateboarder from the old Powell/Perlta days.

*Unfortunately seeing the youngest Jam Team Rider hit the ground hard. The Fairfax Cops mentioned above provided first aid and supplied the bandages.

*Longboarding in front of a Washington Post newspaper photographer that was there the entire time. Also, having a pretty girl there who was taking photos of her significant other along with the rest of us grungy skateboarders.

*Krispy Kreme hookup (thanks Seth).

*Hanging with the Jam Longboard guys http://www.jamlongboarding.com/.

*Longboarding with a dozen skateboarders.

*Bumming out that the local snowboard season is over with but hey, like I said, I was longboarding with a dozen skateboarders.

LET's DO IT AGAIN SOON.
lbk

Anthony Smallwood

VD

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:51 pm

That was a lot of fun yesterday even though I wasn't quite prepared to ride it like it's supposed to be ridden as I only had a slalom board.
The real highlight was simply seeing a dozen people show up including the aformentioned Dave Riordan and sidekick John Dillon. I see LBK and Dillon at all sorts of functions but hardly ever get to ride with them. Smooooth style!
It was also cool to see WesE considering there was a slalom gathering at RFK. He rode like a beast on his Wes Economy and wanted to go hit OCC for some drafting. RedBull for breakfast I suppose.
As far as the NoVa bombers are concerned, you guys NEED FULL FACE HELMETS! Anthony has one but Danny and Jim need to step it up. It's one thing to skateboard at 40mph but it's something entirely different to wipe out at 40. Why do you think there are so few speedboarders? Lot's of people ride 35-40, but after a good wipeout they're not so sure. Take a serious spill then decide if you want more. Without a fullface helmet you might not even get to decide.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:57 am

i kinda "borrowed" that helmet from a friends bro who has 3 for his motorcycle....Anthony i need to hit something longer with some turns now....

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:49 am

okay, after sunday i realized something. I HAVE TO GET INTO THIS DOWNHILL THING! it was fun to go from less than halfway and it looked like everyone else was having a killer time! and sliding, gotta learn to do that too. im thinking about gettting a big red x but they seem super expensive. i dont know how i am going to afford a set of good equip (leathers, helmut, etc). I guess its time to sell off some of the collection... i had too much fun not to do it again!
seth
ps anthony smallwood, email me please at bankslalom@aol.com

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:12 pm

I'll be buying my safety equipment as soon as I can. I've just been concentrating on the riding equipment and not the safety stuff. This summer I should be completely set if I get my job at the bagel place.

The Jam longboard guys were cool and I think they need to come to more of the events.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:02 pm

with you working at a bagel place and me at a doughnut place, we should always have early events so we can have a killer breakfast! now we need someone who works at a real restuarant to provide lunch and we will be set! ;)