DC Winter Series - March 13th Results

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Brian Parsons

DC Winter Series - March 13th Results

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:18 am

The last race of the DC Winter Outlaw Series went off in true winter conditions. Cold and windy. But it was dry and there were some of the fastest skaters I know ready to get it on.

It was totally ON!!! One of the heaviest fields ever for an outlaw race with some of the fastest East Coast skaters battling for the top eight positions. Clearly Noah and Vlad were the fastest guys even with a major head wind these guys had the strength to consistently go faster and cleaner. It was great to have Curt Kimbel back racing with us. Curt was unlucky in qualifying and was seeded against Noah in the first elimination race. Mike Ohm was in top form upsetting UR13 in the first round and losing to Noah by just a few tenths in the finals. Ohm easily beat me for 3rd. Aaron Morris qualified with the top skaters but Vlad was just too much for the young lad.

The B Class groups of skaters are the most exciting to watch. The first race was a battle for the last spot between Burnes and Anthony Flis. These guys were so close to one another their first heat was a dead tie. Burns made it into the bracket of eight and was eliminated by Eric (GeezerX). Dave Morris eliminated Wesley Tucker in the first round then Dave went on to loose to Eric. Eric DQed In the first heat and was able to make up the pentalty to make it into the finals. Slappy Maxwell continues to dominate the B class. Slappy has been accused of sandbagging in the past but today that was defiantly not the case. It was great to see Eric make it to the finals, if he could just learn to stay on course.

We had several new racers show up for the longboard GS race today. Father-daughter team Frank and Brittany Scheib appeared to be having a blast. Frank defiantly has done this before and Brittany did great for her first day riding around cones.

This was the last scheduled race of the winter outlaw series. I will post up the point’s results very soon. I also will have a new schedule of races for spring and summer up this week.

Thanks for everyone coming and helping out with the races. Mike and Noah, thanks for setting a great course.

Longboard Results
1. Vlad Popov – 17.322
2. Noah Heinle – 18.051
3. WesE – 18.318
4. Mike Ohm – 18.416
5. Curt Kimbel – 18.664
6. Aaron Morris – 18.994
7. Eric Walgren – 19.499
8. Anthony Flis – 19.739
9. Brian Parsons – 19.771
10. Mitch Temoche – 20.088
11. Anthony Smallwood – 20.338
12. Dave Morris – 21.176
13. Burnes – 21.551
14. Rene Hayden – 21.604
15. Jeff Bozi – 22.435
16. Gary Saez – 23.923
17. Frank Scheib – 24.930
18. Brittany Conception - 33.626
19. Brittany Scheib – 40.680

Hybrid Slalom Results - A Class
1. Vlad Popov – 18.653
2. Noah Heinle – 18.712
3. Mike Ohm – 21.010
4. Brian Parsons – 20.711
5. UR13 – 19.682
6. WesE – 20.952
7. Curt Kimbel – 21.165
8. Aaron Morris – 21.333

Hybrid Slalom Results - B Class
1. Slappy Maxwell – 23.485
2. Eric Walgren – 23.090
3. Dave Morris – 24.915
4. Rene Hayden – 23.561
5. Wesley Tucker – 24.004
6. Anthony Smallwood – 25.320
7. Kyle Bozi – 26.829
8. Burnes – 27.742
9. Anthony Flis – 27.823

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:23 pm

This past race was ON, but I wasn't. I was under the impression that it was not the final one of the series. What happened to the March 20 finale race that is on the schedule?
Last edited by Wes Eastridge on Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:28 pm

Wes, due to weather delays and the problems with having races back to back I decided to end the series with this race.

Don't worry. I will have all of the new dates (Summer Series) up this week.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:37 pm

Damn. If I knew it was the final race, I'd try to do better. This is just not cool, Brian.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:00 pm

Saturday was a great day! The field was deeper than normal so everyone had to skate their best to advance. The wind was definately a factor for endurance. Noah set a fun course he called a NJ course???? All I know is when I got home it was ice the back, eat, wine, ALEVE, sleep.

Did anyone notice Anthony Flis? He has the form and with a little coaching, watch out Aaron.

Brian, can you double check the Longboard results. Noah said I beat him by 1/100??

Also, if anyone got a chance to look at the board during the heats, time were ranging from about 1 to almost 2 seconds different for the same racer. Thats what the wind added to the day.

Thanks Brian for another day of racing.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:59 pm

Yea Mike, I had you as hitting one cone. Which at .3 per cone cost you the difference between 2nd and 4th.

I will double check again but I think I got it right.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:43 pm

Vlad Popov wrote:Damn. If I knew it was the final race, I'd try to do better. This is just not cool, Brian.
Vlad,

You're right. I think we should withhold Brian's paycheck until he gets it right.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:34 pm

Wesley you forgot and left your radios. I can ship them to your or you can get them next time your up here. Let me know.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:41 pm

Brian...thanks for everything. Noah and I were talking in the car on the way home and we both admit to feeling our stoke for slalom is a little low right now...but coming down and racing in a windy cold parking lot in Maryland couldn't be more fun. Time after time you manage to pull of a fun race that gets (and keeps) me excited to keep coming back. I can honestly say I have the most fun racing a skateboard in DC....keep it up and I am looking forward to the summer series...

I'll be back in better shape and better prepared...

:-)

Anthony Smallwood

Outlaws

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:31 pm

The devil winds of Gaithersburg made it one of the strangest of skate sessions. It would have been more fun to strap sheets to our boards and race around the parking lot, but we had an objective....and Parsons pulled off another parking lot party. The dude has the patience of a saint and I'm making my proclamation now that I hearby retire from competitive slalom as to not make his day harder.
I'm coming to ride for fun and film the crew but I don't want to compete, that way I won't feel guilty about not being a good conehead...cause us B-folks were kinda blowing off our duties yesterday....and if I don't race, I'm not obligated!

Seriously, all of us newcomers have to offer a bigger hand in the running of the event, including coneheading down on the Siberian end of the course. Brian could easily get sick of hearding cats and decide it's not worth it. Then what would we do?

Thanks again Brian and thanks to the guys who have the patience to set the courses. Always a good time.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:48 pm

In case you missed my post on the other thread, here's some of the pics Michael and I took. I'm bummed we missed the LB race, and I wasn't feeling up to the "Killer" afternoon course. We still had a good time.

DC Slalom 2004-03-14

Q

If I messed up any peoples names, or there's a shot of you that you don't particularly like, PM me, and I'll correct things or pull it off the page.

Kolin Tinsley

Post by Kolin Tinsley » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:58 pm

Sat. was awsome. It was a first time for me to even see a slalom board much less ride one. Those little sticks kick butt. I gotta have one. I only got to try the course once and i think i started on the wrong side but it was still hella fun. So when is the next one?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:56 pm

http://dawgear.com/dcslalom/images/2004 ... p02674.jpg

the look on parson's face is priceless.....hahaha

great pics jack.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:59 pm

Intense stuff! :D

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:51 pm

Brian,

I forgot NOTHING!

Those Walkie Talkies go in the same box with the timer, white board, chalk, cones and duct tape. They are officially part of the DC Outlaw race gear.

Let's just say it's my way of saying thank you for NOT keeping in the same box that goddamned piece of black plastic for a backstop on the start boxes!!

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:07 am

wow i didnt realize i did so good in longboard slalom that just amazes me cuz i even beat brian hehe. That hybrid course was so challenging but really fun. too bad wese set me up good after i was out cuz my board feels so much better now and i dont loose it when i take hard turns cuz sliding my back out is what was killing me. Thats a good play by play too. My mom was on my case about finding out the next race dates cuz my parents want to go south to watch my brother play on his college baseball team so it looks like dannys dad will be driving us a lot more...i hope.

Gary Saenz - old

Post by Gary Saenz - old » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:50 pm

If I had gone any slower I would have been going backwards. I suck. LOL

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:Brian,

I forgot NOTHING!

Those Walkie Talkies go in the same box with the timer, white board, chalk, cones and duct tape. They are officially part of the DC Outlaw race gear.

Let's just say it's my way of saying thank you for NOT keeping in the same box that goddamned piece of black plastic for a backstop on the start boxes!!
hahha...Wes don't complain about the back stop for the boxes. You never saw LBK's rubber band loaded tennis ball starting/torture device. Be thankful THAT isn't in the box.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:41 am

UR13, this year I have figured out how to attach a cue ball to an industrial strength bungee cord. If you barge the start, "whappp" there goes your shins. It will keep the starts honest for a change.
lbk

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:53 pm

I will have all of the new dates (Summer Series) up this week.
BP,
Are we gonna see those dates soon? I need a race to look forward to.

Q