DC outlaws needs a basic homepage.....please

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

DC outlaws needs a basic homepage.....please

Post by Jeff Bozi » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:51 pm

Hey all. Ive had more then a few people , ordering slalom gear,a handful are from local areas,alot of them are totally surprised when they find out theres a slalom scene here, and really surprised when I tell them alot of the guys are older as well,how many, how far some come, etc.
Ive had at least 7-8 good interested parties here since winter that are local, I point them here to this forum the find out about local get togethers & the Races in DC area.

Their first question is ussually , Is there a website?

I think Brian still holds a Domain name for DC Outlaws? Is it possible for someone who is website compedent (<<I cant spell that word, so not me) To just make a basic cool looking informational page, then it could still direct people to this forum here at SS for race dates & on going things, so the DC Outlaw site would not need updating once its up, except pics once in a while, & we wouldnt take away from the traffic here.

Vlad has alot of pics, Anthony has a few KILLER pics he pulled out of a movie , One of them stands out bigtime to me as a frt page pic for site.

Just be cool to have a site with basic race info,a directions page for P&R & Fountianhead, the DCDC spots , Van dorn,etc & whatever else that people ask a billion times that could be offered there.

If someones into maintianing it a hair, could have an events page with races & dates.

Some people are really interest, some are courious, can we please have a simple place I can point them where they dont have to sesarch around to figure things out & find pics If they are interested.

If there is no domain at The moment, Ill offer webspace on Bozi Site, or see about a new registered domian.

Be nice to have it include DC OUTLAWS & DC/DC or whatever we ended up with as a group.

Thanks, Jeff
cold sucks
Bomb-Carve-Flow

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:19 pm

Jeff,
I've been known to dabble in websites, and would be glad to work something up. I've even got a webhost where we could park the domain for not too much. I do almost all of my work using MS FrontPage, cuz it is REALLY easy.

I'll try to bang out a mock-up.

Q

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:59 pm

Anthony could probably put up a little thing on his webpage as a last resort.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:59 pm

Brian has the domain (click here), he just doesn't have the patience for the funky software that he tried to build the site with.

Brian, if you are reading this, you should draw up what you want on paper and someone will whip up an html for you.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:33 am

Geezer has a site,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slalomdc/

I think my old one's still active,
http://groups.msn.com/DCSlalom

Feel free to use either (I assume it's OK w/Eric).

You guys looking for pics, check these sites out.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

David Morris

Website, HTML, and the DC Outlaws.

Post by David Morris » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:39 am

About HTML I use Macromedia Dreamweaver on my old trusty Mac computer.

If Brian or anyone else needs a little help with HTML/Web Site stuff I might be able to help you out some.

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver but I also write out a lot of code by hand. I can do basic stuff. I don't have the experience with all the Flash stuff and other fancy stuff. But basic HTML I can do.

I am just now getting my own website up on the net. I did have a pretty good website about a year ago but my webhost went out of business without even letting me know. So for quite a while i didn't have a webhost. Last month a friend let me know of a Webhosting company that was offering 3 years free webhosting so I jumped on the deal. So I will have a site for free for the next 3 years.

So if you need some help let me know.

David "davmo" Morris

You can check out my site at the below URL. I am thinking about putting up maybe a one page gallery that will focus on my interest of Slalom Skateboarding and the DC Outlaws etc. You know you could put a picture and little bio of each and every member of the Outlaws on there.

My website:

<a href="http://davmo.net"><B>d a v m o c o n t e m p o r a r y a r t</B></a>

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:18 am

You don't want the website you be all flashy and making noise and random things running around the page. It just needs to be what's needed and nothing more. For example, the new sector 9 site. It looks pretty cool and everything and stuff pops up when you put the cursor over stuff. But expect faster load times.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:07 am

I thought it would be nice for a while.
Then when you really look at it.
Any info, pics, movies, etc. could be posted here.

If you look at the site stats, this forum is the 2nd most frequented part of the entire site right behind 'Random Slalom Topics'. We've definitely squatted and marked our territory here.

The moderator can make anouncement posts that stay at the top for events. We can also start a thread for things like racer profiles.

Why screw with the mojo?
Plus an additional web site is just one more place that an event change will have to be made for weather, etc.

If the problem is explaining to interested people where to find this spot, we could always ask Adam and Jani if we could link directly to this forum from a URL like...www.dcslalom.com,www.dcoutlaw.com, etc.

That's just my opinion...

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:27 am

i think it would be good to have a simple page with a simple, local name, such as slalomdc.com or racedc.com, with directions, some pictures, and the calander. make some stickers, word of mouth, we will have a much larger showing at the races.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:51 am

. .
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:52 am

Y'all make it sound like there's someone around here who's "in charge."

You want a DC Slalom home page? Then make it.

There is an "EastCoastSlalom.com" home page.Why? Because Brian wanted it. If the DC racers want a home page then quit posting on here how nice it would be if "someone" would do it.

Buy the software, buy a digital camera, buy a scanner and make a home page. Simple enough. Hey, this is OUTLAW racing. It's not like there's a commitee some place that has to review and approve it. Make the page, spread the word for the URL and just do it.

Or don't. But please stop dropping hints about how nice it would be if "someone" would make a home page. Guess what? That someone is you. Do it or don't.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:55 pm

I still own the domain name www.eastcoastslalom.com.

I am using some really crappy Go Daddy software that is a real pain to work with.

Any of you guys are welcome to use that domain name to build a site.

I have some pictures and all of the race results for every outlaw race ever held.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:08 pm

Brian,
Is the domain being hosted by GoDaddy?

Or can you tell me where the domain is being hosted? I can look into seeing what your webhost supports, and if they can handle FrontPage, I'd be glad to volunteer to bang it into shape.

Q

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:00 pm

Jack, right now it is being hosted by Go Daddy.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:36 pm

Brian,
If you want, I could access your host and modify the website. Go Daddy claims to have frontpage extensions installed on their servers, so theoretically, my software (MS Frontpage 2000) would work. FrontPage easily produces navigable/maintainable sites.

Maybe what I'll do first, is mock one up on my webhost, and then make sure most of us can use it. (I know there's some among us using alternative browsers/Macs/etc.)

At that point we could decide whether or not we'd want to continue...

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:25 am

i also have a server that has been paid for for the next three years. i could host the site. i used to be really good at html and all that good stuff but i havent done it in so long. if you want, we could move that domain to my server so that we wouldnt have to worry bout cost and whatnot.

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:43 am

Wow, nice to see some people responded to my post.

Wesley, chill buddy, I wanted the site, mainly to point people to a simple page with basic idea of our groups & get a feel.I dont have the time to deal with it, cant keep up with things I have now. Sh*t, for that mater, anyone wanna build my shopping cart Im 2 weeks behind on ;-)

Slappy, I agree, dont want a full on updated deal, just a few cool pics, a directions page to commen spots for all the times people ask, a race schedule , with reference to"dates may vary to weather",etc, check SS.com for up to date info on all events. Just a nice info page, at the bottom of any pages on it, have a link to this site for addl everything info.

Brian, cool on the domian offer.

Jack cool on the work it up offer.

I really do have more then a few courious people, sometimes one a month, sometimes a few, some dig the computer & some may not be so inclined to scavenge a new site they arent familiar with for info they are looking for. (forums here) But after they see something simple, they may then want to come here to dig deeper.

I know Anthonys building a DC/DC site, it would have a link to this site we speak of, as would ours to his, & SS site only.(maybe peoples personal DC sites too)

Jack, if you get things rolling, let me know & Ill send a couple pics, or anthony can for the frt page, killer motion pics he got of a few of our favorites.

Its all good you guys, the idea is to not take away traffic from here, but ideally get more traffic to here & the DC forum, of people interested in checking out a race.

Spank you guys very much, Jeff (we need more newbies , so I feel faster)
Bomb-Carve-Flow

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:23 pm

ok, here's a rough cut:

DC Slalom...

Jeff, send pics!

Brian, If you like, I can test on your webhost.

Everyone else, Ideas/criticsm, etc.

Q

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:26 pm

Jack Quarantillo wrote:Everyone else, Ideas/criticsm, etc.
Comment: Everything seems to show properly on my browser, and it looks pretty nice.

Random, non-associated rant: Java applets and Flash both suck the big one!

Contemplate: Do we want directions to the slalom spots published on the page? It could be good and it could be bad. We don’t exactly need people we’ve never met/conversed-with checking out the sites when nobody's there. What do you think, Brian?

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:07 am

i thought you did a good job on it and i like it a lot especially since you put a link to nova bombers....we were thinking of changing our name but now since we have it everywere its kinda too late for that now but i like the name anyway so its ok

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:03 am

can you make the color of the font not yellow? That's all I really can think of that I don't like. And the yellow is still fine.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:18 am

I think it is the hyperlinks that are yellow, and the normal text is white (in keeping with the "Road/Asphalt" theme.)

After I add some more text, we can revisit changing the links to the standard blue or some other color.

Q

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:23 am

Oh hey, I didn't think of the theme. That's actually pretty cool now that I think about it. It's just fine.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:09 am

I'd like to take credit, but it is one of the themes that comes with FrontPage, I'm scrolling down the list and BAM!!!! There it is!!! I couldnt have made a better one.

I might tweak it a bit, add some skateboard shapes for buttons...

Q