Race location poll for Saturday the 17th of January

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Were would you like to race this weekend?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:38 am

Fountianhead
40%
Park and Ride
60%

Total votes: 10

Brian Parsons

Race location poll for Saturday the 17th of January

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:38 am

I am all for being diplomatic, and this site allows us to have a quick vote.

I of course will ahve the final say but all of your opinions are helpful.

You have until end of the day tomorrow to vote.

Thanks

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:01 am

Brian, let’s not go with a vote. It is too easy for people to stuff the ballotbox by voting with aliases.

I think that instead, we should wait until Friday. If it looks like racing can be done, we should then follow the NOAA forecast - If wind will be over 13 mph then Fountainhead should be the race site.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:40 am

Here's my biased vote, and I won't stuff the ballot box by registering Michael ;)

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:15 am

my biased vote: p & r
my vote if it was another circumstance: what wes said

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:24 am

My two cents...

Fountainhead is a smart choice for this time of year (no salt/sand, no wind). No, it's not perfect, but neither is the P&R.

I don't think the conditions of one spot in Gaithersburg should dictate if or where there is a race.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:45 pm

Good idea Brian! With the approaching light snow on it's way its all up in the air anyway. I'm going to hold my vote untill tomorrow. Maybe we could throw out a coulpe of scouts to report on conditions. I'm sure Slappy or I could check on Fountainhead. Well it's off to stir my roadkill stew.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Whether or weather or whatever?

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:54 pm

For entirely selfish and personal reasons, I'm voting P&R this time. Of course, P&R is totally convenient for me and, as usual, I'm driving a car that is on its' last legs. If we race at P&R, I'd take the day off from other responsibilities to race. If the trip included dragging my sorry vehicle down to NoVa or putting myself in a "I need a ride" situation, I'd be far less inclined to ditch other business.

Having said all of that, I must admit a certain feeling of guilt. If my own life and my car weren't so sketchy right now, I'd be glad to go race at Fountainhead. I really liked that place. Living about one mile from the Park and Race, it'd be really easy for me to take it for granted that people are going to come to where I am. I try not to feel that way. In this case, I'm voting for the P&R because I'm a selfish sketcher.

Will any of this matter? I doubt it. It seems that there is going to be some snow tonight, with sub-freezing temperatures for the next couple of days. Whatever snow we get isn't going to melt. It doesn't look like it's going to be much, and maybe the north-south factor could leave Fountainhead skateable. However this vote turns out, I encourage serious flexibility for effective wintertime racing.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:21 pm

im sure some people (me for example) could shovel the p&r on friday. i have a snowblower which i may be able to get into my car.

Anthony Smallwood

slalom caucus

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:21 pm

Well, they're both about the same distance for me. I'll be self-centered and vote for Fountainhead, cause I can do some downhilling also! No worries though, if it's the P&R. The dual factor is a big plus for G-Burg but Fountainhead might be in better condition. I may have to work until 1:00pm Saturday anyway, so maybe my vote shouldn't count.
If I'm off however (I'll know today), and the race is at Fountainhead, any riders from G-Burg (Seth, GBJ,????) could catch the Metro's Redline to Dupont Circle and I'll pick you up. I rode Metro out to Van Dorn once and I was slinging leathers, helmet, bag and 3 boards. It's a pain in the ass but it will get you there. Has anyone ever checked out that church parking lot that you pass coming off the beltway to Van's? That place looks insane. Couple that with the fact that a Van's session could follow and it could be a nice spot to spend a day skating.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:33 pm

I voted for fountainhead (though it is a longer drive for Noah and I) only because i assume they don't salt the place we skate like I assume the P&R will be for commuters. This snow event tomorrow will be 1-2" here in NYC, I assume less in DC...it's a non-issue.

The bigger issue will be salt and run off from melting snow, both of which will be a bigger issue ar the P&R I assume.

Eitherway I could care less. I just wanna come and skate, as does Noah I am sure.

I am assuming alot here, damn!

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:17 pm

Well BP, the poll was very democratic, but the Maryland SHA has stuffed the ballot box.

Q's scouting report on the P&R
viewtopic.php?p=13707#13707

We still may come after Michael's basketball game.

Q

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:25 pm

I'm sure fountainhead is fine I don't think there's any need to even check.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:42 pm

Fountianhead it is.... due to the salt issue.

Good to hear that Noah and Chris are planning to come.

If anyone gets lost getting there call me.

Sorry about you guys that wanted to race at the p&r.

Based on the weather conditions, fountianhead is really the best spot.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:59 pm

fountianhead is really the best spot
Actually, it is the ONLY spot. There was literally up to 1/4" of salt on the asphalt at the P&R. I believe I can speak for all the people who voted for the P&R in saying we'd rather have a race somewhere than no race.

Hopefully I can show up late and run a few cones.

BP, can you post or PM your cell?

Thanks,
Jack

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:35 am

I'm up for Fountainhead

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:36 am

I'm up for Fountainhead

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:39 am

sorry i accidentally hit it twice

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Accumulations

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:00 am

Y'know... it's funny. The Baltimore-Washington area looks like it had a sand/salt storm last night. I heard a couple of Baltimore newspeople referring to it as a 2" accumulation of salt on top of a trace of snow. Last week's traffic mess was a relatively rare fluke where a trace of snow hit warm pavement in cold air temparatures creating instant ice. It seems like the authorities were bound and determined that this wasn't going to happen again.

I think Fountainhead IS the spot, regardless of the vote. In the meanwhile, the weight of some of my personal obligations has shifted a bit, and I may not be able to make it. I'll be there if I can.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:38 am

Just got back to the East Coast. I would have voted Park & Ride.

All we need to do is bring brooms to sweep the salt.

Also, it's going to be cold so I was planning on hitting Whitetail for a couple of hours and then swing on by the race.
lbk

Anthony Smallwood

P&R

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:28 am

Well damn, after reading Riordan's post I kinda feel like a wimp going with the relative ease of Fountainhead. He wants to sweep AND snowboard! He'll probably suggest we leave at 2:00 and drive to the coast for the evening glass-off. lbk is core!

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:45 am

GBJ I have a friend who owns a tow truck should I drive that just in case?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:47 pm

The race will be at Fountianhead.

See WesE's post for directions or if you get lost you can call me my number is 703-901-5167.

I hope everyone can make it. It will be cold but practice will still start at 10am.

Fountianhead is a single lane spot only so the races run alot quicker. This allowes for the possibility of maybe setting up a couple different types of courses.

Since this is the first race after a considerable break in the slalom action expect a GS course that will be fun and relatively easy. Nothing hairball or super tight.

For those of you that have never been to fountianhead before. Park at the gate and walk into the park about 50-100 yards. We race on the first set of hill.

We have never had a problem at this spot before but if for some reason we get shut down, or if the maintance building inside the park is open and there is traffic on the road, we do have a couple of backup spots that are nearby.

Hope to see everyone tomorrow.

Rene Hayden

crazyness

Post by Rene Hayden » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:02 pm

I just spent the morning doing utility work outside in Northeast.

You all are demasciado loco for wanting to skate tomorrow morning if it's anything like today. All I have to say is bring lots of hot soup, wear two pairs of socks, etc., try not to get your scarf wrapped around the wheels.

I may not be attending, unfortunately; my aunt is coming to town and I have to entertain. kind of a bummer since it's been a while for skating.

any skating to be had on MLK day?

Anthony Smallwood

cold

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:38 am

Yup! I worked outside today on the ramp at DCA with no protection from the wind blowing off the river. I was slightly comforted by the fact that I was getting paid, but damn, for fun & games.....???

I'll be there tomorrow with my Alaskan pipeline suit and a bottle of Jaeger, uh, I mean a thermos of soup! Anyone who shows gets my respect as a gnarly skater dude/dudette.

Rene, call me if you need a ride....how about Van's on MLK day?
Also, check your e-mail for a cool shot I took of you.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:43 am

Don’t knock slaloming in the Winter until you’ve already done it at Fountainhead. Temp should be a high of 36°F there tomorrow. You will probably only need one pair of socks. The precautions I would suggest are gloves, long underwear (top & bottom), something to cover your ears (I use a polartec ear band, cost - approx $6 at bike shops such as Performance Bicycle), shorts, and an outerwear vest of some kind. Perhaps a fleece shirt of some kind too. Put most of your extra insulation around your upper torso and it will help keep the rest of your body warm. A helmet covers your head, of course. The wind is predicted to be 5-10mph BUT TRUST ME, none of it will hit you due to surrounding forest density. For people that haven’t been to Fountainhead, it will be an interesting place to ride. It is ‘out there’, but is a great spot for single-lane slalom.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:02 am

Wes, you forgot to include your base layer...the lace red thong (approx. $20 at Victoria's Secret).

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:41 pm

I don't know Slappy, Wes looked fast on Saturday. Maybe it's the thong. Maybe it's his dirty little secret. I don't like red though. Maybe pink will work even better. Eat more Roadkill.

Joseph Cross

Post by Joseph Cross » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:10 am

I cant come to Fountainhead tomorrow, but I will be at Vans Monday and Wednesday from 4-6. Can anyone come?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:22 am

This thread was the LAST RACE!!!!

Tomorrow's Race (02/14) is at G'Burg P&R

Q