DC Winter Outlaw Series

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:04 pm

Brian,
Thanks for signing up for the LSJ 2004. I'll work hard to make it the best it can be.

"I FEEL LIKE JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI!"
Kid Rock

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:11 pm

Yea, I found tickets for $230. I booked early this year as to not miss out like last year.

Can't wait.

Mike Ohm

Ole Miss

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:00 am

Parsons, what airline?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:36 pm

Delta out of Dulles. Actually it was $238. On Orbitz.

Also found a hotel (Ramada) near the airport for about $50 a night. I have not booked that yet. But it looks like the best deal I could find.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:49 pm

Make sure you can cancel those hotels reservations without penalty. I'm still working on a budget for Red Bull. They may be picking up the hotel tab.

On that subject...

What do you guys see as being the best way to manage the "free room" deal. First come forst serve? I hate telling anyone that the "free rooms are all taken, you have to pay for yours". That would suck. How do I know who is truely "first" in that situation? This is the toughest problem I've got right now.

I've got 10 rooms set aside at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, which is .5 miles from the course. Really close but a little high at 69 per night.

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:49 pm

Has anyone tried driving down to Jackson from up here, it looks like it's about 900 miles or so. I take it there's no camping close by? My skill level doesn't warrant spending a lot of money on airfare and hotel rooms. I might be able to drive our minivan and take some outlaws along. If we share driving duties maybe we can drive straight through?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:32 pm

Jeff, (and everyone)

One thing to keep in mind is don't forget it's a NIGHT RACE. That means plenty of time on Saturday to drive to Jackson.

My itinerary from South Carolina is simple: drive to Atlanta Friday (four hours), sleep in Saturday morning and drive over to Jackson Saturday morning-afternoon (five hours.) I'll probably get to Jackson with more than enough time to take a nap or if I splurge for a motel with an indoor pool take a swim.

I know it's farther for y'all in DC, but think about driving some of the way Friday night and the balance on Saturday. No need to push or kill yourself and getting up the highway.There's plenty of time before practice starts late Saturday night.

As far as motels are concerned, just remember that there's no need to book a Marriott or Holiday Inn. Econo Lodge and Motel 6 do fine. All you need is a bed and a shower. Keep it cheap and you'll find a room in the South for under $35.00. I do it all the time.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:14 am

what about the outlaw race on the 7th?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:30 am

Anthony, It's really too early to decide. A short range weather forecast is pretty much necessary for races in the winter around here. I can say that the optimal spot for racing would be the Gaithersburg P&R, due to its size. Fountainhead is really a practice spot, and backup spot for when the other sites have bad conditions.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:52 am

I wanna check out the p&r. I thought fountain head was a great spot. And if the p&r is better I can't wait. What kind of slalom would we be running there though? And how fast is this place?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Gaithersburg Park and Race

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:32 pm

Danny, You'll see what is special about the Gaithersburg Park and Race when you get there. Frankly, there's no one thing big or amazing about it. There are just so many things about it that are good that they all add up to a really great slalom venue. It is conveniently located for most, with ample convenient, drive-up and skate parking. It is a curiously isolated satellite commuter parking lot, literally sitting on what used to be one leaf of a major highway cloverleaf interchange and bounded by a large railroad embankment and track, and is not serviced by buses, leaving it mostly empty, at night and on weekends. The pavement is very good and the hill we use is long enough (about 600' useable hill), wide and straight (ample room for good dual hybrid-special-style courses with plenty of movement and offset) with a very manageable grade to it. Tucking in and bombing the racing hill at P&R would only be considered a challenge by the most novice of skaters, but pushing hard, pumping hard or otherwise charging a slalom course, it's easy to get going fast enough to hurt oneself. There are a number of other areas in the lot, of varying lengths and grades, for those who don't wish to race or ride on the race hill, i.e. kid skating, practice space, alternative course style, etc. It's just a good spot (that happens to be about one mile from my home), and I will forever applaud Mitch Temoche for recognizing its' potential. It was a great find.
Last edited by Andy Bittner on Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony Smallwood

P&R

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:47 am

No question, the park and ride is the place to be for DC slalom. Fountainhead has the nice downhill bonus in the back, but if slaloming is the aim, P&R is the spot.
It seems like a serene, made-for-slalom locale that's surrounded by the chaos of cars flying in all directions.
The big draw of course is dual racing but having our cars right there is a big plus also.
How's it looking?? Andy or Q, how about a check?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

P&R Condition Report

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:04 am

I'll check and let you know. I don't have high hopes. Based on the condition of my parking lot and the grocery parking lot I visited today, there's still probably a lot of sand, salt, ice and probably even some snow.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:43 am

If we all bring some brooms we could take care of the salt problem for the most part.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:41 am

I'll check it tomorrow.

Q

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:35 pm

I passed P&R a couple of times on my way to Whitetail this week. It looks rather snowy.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:29 pm

That's what I was thinking after trying to skate there last year after the snow. The problem won't be just sweeping salt and sand. It will be with snow melting from the piles.

The forecast doesn't look warm enough for it to start melting until Saturday.

Anthony Smallwood

2-7

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:38 pm

I imagine Fountainhead is in a similar condition. If that's the case and the race is postponed, let's have a big Van's session.
Or go to Whitetail.
I need to ride....

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:55 am

The main part is dry, but very salty. There's a bit of melting at the bottom where the runout area is.

I could be up for a Vans session if the race is postponed.

Q

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:30 am

A vans session sounds fun. I can't believe how much they're charging for sessions now though...

I also need to learn how to drop in...

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:22 am

Looks like a warmer forecast for the rest of the week with 50's on Wed.

Ran by Fountainhead today, what little snow is left should be melted by the end of the week.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:44 am

Slappy,
Although your forecast seems optomistic, I'm all for optimism...

The best I can get is 47 for a high this week, but will continue to keep my eye on the P&R...

Bertleboy's B-Ball game is at 9:00 am this week, so we could potentially make it to F-head before all the fun ends (unlike last time)...

And then there's the short drive to Vans...

Keep us posted, and I will continue to do the same. P&R is still looking like a salted ham.

Q

am I the king of ellipsis abuse?...

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:01 pm

Sorry, Slappimus,

Your forecast must be for a different Gaithersburg than the one I'm looking at. Then again, the one I'm looking at is on Earth. No telling what planet Mr. Maxwell calls home?

Tuesday: Snow, sleet or freezing rain early. Precipitation changing to light rain and freezing rain late. High 36F. Winds NE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precip 70%. Snow and ice accumulations less than one inch.
Tuesday night: Partly cloudy. Low 26F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday: Partly cloudy. High 41F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.
Wednesday (24 hours): Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 20s.
Thursday (24 hours): A few snow showers. Highs in the upper 20s and lows in the mid 20s.
Friday (24 hours): Showers possible. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper 20s.

I don't see anything CLOSE to 50 degrees during the whole week. The one good thing is it looks like rain on Friday.

Is one day of rain enough to wash away the salt and sand? Or is that just enough to make it eddy into really big drifts in the middle of the parking lot? I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to this ice / salt / snow / sand stuff.

Oh, there's no written forecast yet, but the little pictogram shows Saturday as cold and clear with a high of 42.

John Dillon

if no race then go snowboarding......

Post by John Dillon » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:17 pm

Yo Vlad! I'll b at Whitetail doing a snobo clinic wed eve, 7-10pm e-mail me when u go up....I haven't seen u all season...lbk & I have been hitting the slopes as much as poss....did u all know how lbk trains for slalom when he cannot ride his slalom board due to weather conditions? He snowboards...and I can't keep up to him whilst he is listening to THE GO GO'S on his ipod and blasting down the mountain, GS-style! This past wknd the snow was excellent...Anybody up for late-nite,$15 lift tix at Roundtop this sat eve?9pm-midnight! If the rain washes all the salt/snow away then I wil c y'all the sat's slalom race.

John Dillon

Cheaper flights to Luna Race via bwi...

Post by John Dillon » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:58 pm

Yo DC Crew! U can fly to Jackson,Miss, for 208.20RT on SW Airlines, all taxes inclusive...fly out of BWI(baltimore) or probably even Norfolk...I didn't check that city....it just popped up today!! Ohm? Did u get tix yet?? I may go too! Hey Ricky...if Red Bull pays for some rooms and there's more racers...we can squeeze them in the rms, that is, if they don't mind my sawing wood(snoring)...though I've never heard me snore. We 're all racers...we'll make it work.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:17 pm

John,
Squeeze them in. Please!
I would love to have you guys come out for this one.
I'll firm up the room deal today. My budget is very realistic even with the rooms. I don't forsee this being an issue with RB.

We are still looking at doing an outlaw race on Friday afternoon around 5:00 at the now famous Road Kill Hill. Look under "Mississippi Hills" at www.lunaslalomjam.com for directions to Road Kill. I'm only pursuing rooms for racers on Saturday night. If you come in for the outlaw the Friday night room will have to be on you.

John, Can you do some announcing if you make the scene?

I'm stoked!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:18 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote: I don't see anything CLOSE to 50 degrees during the whole week. The one good thing is it looks like rain on Friday.
Today's printed Washington Post has Wednesday as 50. They changed it on the website early this morning to 45.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:08 am

BUT when I say don't trust the Washington Post, Slappy says I'm a right wing extremist.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:43 am

Back in my time there were 2 major newspapers. IZVESTIYA, "The News" and PRAVDA, "The Truth". A common joke of the 1960-1980s was "Don't look for the truth in "The News" and for the news in "The Truth" ".

A la Post and Times :D

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:01 am

thats very profound...

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:15 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:BUT when I say don't trust the Washington Post, Slappy says I'm a right wing extremist.
If the cap fits...

Actually you'd think we all would have learned not to trust a weather forecast from any source. 'Forecast' kinda gives it away. They are never called weather 'future facts'.

The Washington Times is as reputable as any newspaper could be that is owned by guy named Rev. Moon that holds big ass, mass weddings and has followers called 'Moonies'. (I wouldn't suggest drinking the Kool Aid at their wedding receptions.)

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:14 pm

Do we need to start a amateur meteorology thread? I'll be right every time. Y'all have a good time on Saturday, it don't look like I can make it.

Possum the other white meat!

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:53 am

well the weather is not lookin too good for thursday into friday....
its gonna start snowing thurs. night into the morning then change over to rain/freezing rain then just rain for most of the day and all this is accourding to the weather channel website but since the last forecast i checked by them to see if id have school proved wrong even tho we got the day off the forecast was wrong we just got off cuz the fairfax county guy took a lot of heat for making us go that one day...anywho just thought id share that bit of info

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:00 am

Here's what the weather channel sez for Saturday:

High:
40°F

AM Clouds / PM Sun

Wind:
From the Northwest at 13 mph

Precip: 20 %

Max. Humidity: 66 %

UV Index: 2 Minimal

hmmm...

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:30 am

eh, im going to vans!

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:13 am

do you think that the roads will dry in time to have a race? if not i say vans cuz im gonna have to skate cuz my hopes of skating this weekend are way too high so im gonna skate somehow or another...

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:30 am

Vans keeps looking better...

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:27 pm

yup, going EARLY saturday to vans. gotta be home by 3 or so for work. so lets go skate vans! doesnt look like the outlaw race is going to happen anyways...

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:57 pm

No way anything is going to be dry by tomorrow. So not Outlaw racing tomorrow.

We will postpone the race until Saturday February 14th.

How crowded is Vans on Saturdays these days. I do not ride there very much on weekends. Last time it was a zoo.

Anyone snowboarding this weekend?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:34 pm

Sunday mornings are ok at Whitetail. I'll be there 9-1 this Sunday.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:19 am

I'll be hitting Whitetail on Sunday morning. Not sure if John Dillon is in town.
lbk

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:06 am

I'm going to Vans tomorrow. First session.

Tony, call me tomorrow whenever you get a chance tomorrow morning. My dad said he could drive. Are we bringing Jimmy and Jay?

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:20 am

first and second sessions

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:10 am

Sadly,
No Vans for Q & q

Q

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:46 pm

I did the P&R driveby today. It will require a bit of sweeping, as there's some cinders/gravel here and there. In addition, there's a little melting going on near the very bottom, but I think with a few pushbrooms it could be raceable.

One of you NOVA peeps wanna check out Fountainhead?

Weather Channel sez 48° for Saturday!!!
WNW winds @ 16...

Q

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:12 am

Fountainhead is rideable.

Mike Ohm

Outlaw Sat

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:11 pm

P&R is preferable but the wind can be mighty brutal if it is blowing from the north. Kinda slows ya down. Brian is keeping an eye on the weather. Where is Meteorologist Wes Virginia when you need him?

Watch out for the Red Eye Express!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:02 pm

P&R
Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low near 26. Calm wind.
Thursday: A chance of rain and snow(!) between 8am and 3pm. Chance for precipitation is 30%. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 39. Calm wind. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 26. West wind between 3 and 9 mph.
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 27.
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high around 49.

Fountainhead
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low near 28. Light north wind.
Thursday: A chance of rain and snow(!) between 8am and 3pm. Chance for precipitation is 30%. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 39. Calm wind. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 26. Calm wind becoming west between 5 and 8 mph.
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high around 45.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 28.
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high around 50.

Skater's Almanac suggests: Wait until Thursday night. If the forecast calls for wind over 10 mph for Saturday = Race at Fountainhead.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:28 pm

Do we care any about wind direction? As Ohm said, a stiff North wind would suck, but wouldn't anything other than a headwind be ok?

Q

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:27 am

itd be ok if you want to slalom moving cones! that sounds a lot funner than it is....