The "Gathering" 2004

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:55 pm

Which reminds me... Andy, I smoke Camel Filters,and have for years, including The 1st Gathering/the second Gathering, and LaCosta 2001. All of which "you owe me a pack" apply! If it'd be easier for you, a gift certificate at Smoker Friendly will suffice. ;-)
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Hunter Singleton

Post by Hunter Singleton » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:31 am

you have probably have been asked this question a lot and i have seen the answer, but i can't find it again.

-HOW DO I GET THERE!? I know how to get to gaithersburg but where should i go? Can someone give me a map of where the races will be held?

-This is my first gathering. I think i know someone who is going (Gary Saenz) but can someone show me the ropes because i think i will get there, know no one, stand in the corner and cry(ha), and not race. Will the people include me or will i be the lone ranger the whole trip.

-I'm 12. will there be many people there my age?

tHANKS A LOT,
HUNTER

Hunter Singleton

Post by Hunter Singleton » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:32 am

OH YEAH COULD I MABE HAVE A ADDRESS SO I COULD PULL IT UP ON MAP QUEST

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:38 am

Calm down, Hunter

Try this link:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/ ... eneca.html

I'm not sure which part of the park Andy reserves, but that will get you in the hood.

I understand that there will be some junior events, but I too am a gathering "virgin", so I'll let others chime in.

Q

Aaron Morris

Post by Aaron Morris » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:51 pm

Hunter,
I'm 14, and I'll be there. Hey Andy, where can we sign up for it? Will it be on the contest calendar on ncdsa.com?
Aaron

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

The 4th Gathering... Location and Notice

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:06 pm

Good morning!

Yes, Aaron, I will be putting The 4th Gathering on the Contest Calendar on Ncdsa.com. In fact, if the rest of today goes as planned, it'll be up there today.

Hunter, The 4th Gathering is at Seneca Creek State Park, and has tradtionally been held in the Cardinal Picnic Area. However, for those of you who are familiar with that traditional gathering site, I'll let you know that I've had trouble securing that near-perfect spot for Saturday. I have it on Sunday, but, apparently, someone else reserved it for Saturday sometime early last winter. I will be approaching the state to determine who has rented that space and if there is anyway I can be allowed to contact them. I have to find out if there is some particular reason they chose that site, and if not, whether we could pay their rental fee for them in order to have them switch to another picnic area.

For those of you who have not attended one of the previous Gathering, the Cardinal Picnic area is really the star of the whole show. It's a place that had "Slalom Event!" written all over it from the first time I ever saw it. However, IF we are unable to secure that area for Saturday, there ARE other adequate, semi-private facilities that can accomodate us elsewhere on the property. They are just not as ideally configured, and mostly are more of a hassle to get everyone parked conveniently.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Sorry, guyz

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:43 am

I'll try to get the registration for T4G on the Contest Calendar on Tuesday, because... the best planned lays of mice and men oft go astray.

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:43 am

Is there a schedueled day that the Gathering will be held on yet???

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:16 am

may first and second

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:52 pm

Seth Levy wrote:may first and second
It's still not set in stone yet, due to the location being reserved by someone else on the 1st. Andy is woking on finagling that day back for us.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:34 pm

May 1 and 2 is set in stone. What is not set in stone is the location for Saturday. I am still working on buying the Cardinal area away from the people who are renting it.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:20 am

Is there going to be any type of virtual slalom race? Are the events already determined or is it dependent on what happens with renting that spot your talking about here?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Virtual Slalom

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:29 am

At this point, unless we find spare space and a very spare moment, I have no plans for mounting a cyber-slalom type race. We were very glad to host the Ncdsa.com Cyber Slalom Cup for two years, but even then, running on flat, with all those hills around, became a drag and seemed to use up time better spent otherwise.

The day that we're not certain of the venue is Saturday, and the whole first half of that day will be given to the juniors anyway. There are other sites in the park that'll suffice very well, they just have more difficult parking and access issues.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:34 am

Andy,
Any Junior stuff on Sunday?

Michael and I will miss most of Saturday, as he's receiving his First Holy Communion.

Q

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:11 am

Hey any other girls wanna share the 2 king bedrooms 2 bath with my mom and I???

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:49 am

Jack, It is not out of the question that there could be a juniors-only race on Sunday, but with a significant portion of Saturday given to the juniors, a junior race on Sunday will not be of the highest priority. Weather, time and mass opinion will all be factors.

Hunter Singleton

Post by Hunter Singleton » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:49 pm

How old do you consider "juniors" and if i'm 13 can i only participate in "juniors"?

Hunter Singleton

Oh that too... how many people are you expecting to show up?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:54 am

The junior program is for ages 15 and under. Only juniors may participate in the junior programs. The rest of the activities will be for anyone who wants to be involved, including juniors.

As for the number attending, based on previous years, I'd expect between 50 and 70 people, not all of whom will be skating.

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:58 am

If any women want to share a room then e-mai me at skatinchick29@comcast.net o socergirl17@aol.com

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

T4G events

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:50 am

Andy and Brian,
I was wondering if the beginner/junior events are still going to occur on Saturday morning?

Also, is there a possibilty of a Pre-1980 vintage event? This would affect what equipment some slalomers would bring.

I'd be interested to hear about any plans for the coming weekend.

Thanks,
kmg

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:15 am

If there was a pre 1980 vintage race thatd be awsome since i already asked my friend kevin if i can borrow his dads 70s pool rider banana board....Actually he took it to vans one time and some of you guys where there and were checking it out and someone pumped around the pool on it and all this was before i knew any of you guys....crazy world we live in

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:37 am

A vintage event would be cool.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Juniors

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:40 pm

Kevin, I need to talk to Brian tonight, to be certain what is happening. I believe that Saturday morning will still be set aside for Juniors, and to be clear... at least from where I stand, when I said Juniors, I meant juniors, not necessarily beginners, particularly if they are adult beginners. I'd like there to be a time when the younger set OWNS the scene, with the help from some instructors or coaches.

Claude Regnier, if you read this, please contact me.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:10 pm

Yea, Andy and KMG. Saturday morning will be all about the juniors.

I will post a schedule of events today to give everyone an idea about what will be happening when on Saturday and Sunday.

By the way. WesE and I went and checked out the spots yesterday to get some course setting ideas. Everything is is order. And the courses on Saturday are going to be awesome.

The Phesant Run area we are using on Saturday can support a good hybrid/tight dual and hopefully a 100 cone course. Wes and I tried to determine if there is enough room for a 100 cone challenge course. And I think we decided that there is...Should be fun.

Email me if you have any issues or concerns.

I may need someone to do a metro run in the Gaithersburg area on Friday afternoon. Any volunteers.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Contact

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:57 am

Okay Andy.

E-mail me your telephone number at sk8park@bellnet.ca or try to call me at 613-798-7275.

Looking forward to seeing you all real soon.

PS-Jeff I will have your sunglasses.
Many Happy Pumps!

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:35 pm

What's the schedule look like for Sunday? Will most of the races be Saturday (hopefully)?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:51 pm

Schedule for Saturday at the 4th Gathering – Pheasant Run Area

8:00-9:00 - Setup
9:00-11:00 - Juniors racing and instruction.
11:00-12:00 - Practice
12:00-1:00 - Barbeque
1:00-4:00 - Tight/Hybrid Slalom Race (dual bracket racing)
4:00-Sundown - Tight/Hybrid/100 cone/Vintage

Schedule for Sunday at the 4th Gathering – Cardinal Area

8:00-9:00 - Setup
9:00-11:00 - Juniors racing and instruction.
- Longboard Racing
11:00-12:00 - Practice
12:00-1:00 - Barbeque
1:00-4:00 - Tight/Hybrid Slalom Race (dual bracket racing)
4:00-Sundown - Tight/Hybrid/Longboard/Vintage

As most of you that have been to previous Gatherings know we try to get as much riding/racing in as possible. The areas for both Saturday and Sunday allow for multiple events to be going on at the same time. There will be a couple of full on bracket elimination races on both days. This is a tentative schedule. GBJ and myself will be setting the majority of the courses. If anyone wants to step up and take the initiative to set a course, go ahead, its all about having fun.

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:04 pm

Brian, thanks for stepping up and making this happen.

I heard a while ago that the Saturday location would require us to park elsewhere and take a shuttle van to the picnic area. Is that still the case or can we park where we skate?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:19 pm

Yes, We can park where we skate. Wes and I checked everything out this past weekend and the location for Saturday is great.

We only have one really decent hill at the Phesant Run area so most of the longboard racing will be reserved for Sunday. But the Hybrid/Tight slalom on Saturday will be killer. Also, I think we can do a 100 cone course on Saturday.

I have no idea why anyone would want to skate a 100 cone course but if any freaks want to try it we can set it up.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:34 pm

I want to do 100 cones....I'll even set the course if you like.

:-)

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:02 am

id love to do a 100 cone course....im not sure if id have legs for sunday if we did it saturday but i mean itd be just like when i pump up my street and back i geuss....for the barbeque is it bring your own food or what?

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:05 am

100 cones sounds fun. Person behind me will probably get pissed when all the cones are knocked over...

Gary Saenz - old

Post by Gary Saenz - old » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:58 am

After seeing the schedule for both days I might have to drive up Saturday and Sunday. Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:31 am

Gary,
Check some of the other threads, you could probably share a room with someone.

I'd offer you space at chez Q, but we're all booked up with relatives for First Holy Communion. (Which also means we'll be missing a big chunk of Saturday...)

Q

Gary Saenz - old

Post by Gary Saenz - old » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:54 am

Jack, the only problem with that is that I'm a snorer so I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:04 am

One other thing. For anyone who is NEW to the Gathering, try and remember that IT IS NOT FREE TO ENTER SENECA CREEK STATE PARK.

Quite honestly, I can't remember the costs. Brian would know as he was just there Saturday. I think I paid $2.00, but I'm not sure if that's $2.00 per car or per person. Since I'm the only one in the car, it's one in the same.

Anyway, when you get to the park remember to have some change for the booth at the gate.

Hunter Singleton

Post by Hunter Singleton » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:29 am

i can't come d*$# it!
got some Bs boy scout camping trip which is a must

Gary Saenz - old

Post by Gary Saenz - old » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:29 am

One question about the location. Is food and drink nearby or do we need to bring along stuff?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:54 am

<center>WHOOZ BRINGIN BEER DIS TIME?</center>

<center>Image<center>

I mean orange juice and milk.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:12 am

will the races be continous saturday and sunday? what i mean is, will the times and stuff carry over from saturday to sunday? really into the vintage and ts but there is a large possibility i wont be able to make it after 2 on saturday.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Points...

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:47 pm

Seth, I'm not entirely certain what you're asking. I think you're asking whether the whole weekend ties together in an "overall" competition? It never really has in the past, but I'm not sure what Brian is planning for this year.

From my perspective, when I held The (1st) Gathering: Spring Super Session, back in 2001, The Gatherings were very deliberately low-key, low-competitive-energy events. My purpose, from the very beginning was for there to be at least one event, near the beginning of each season, where we members of the worldwide slalom community could meet, face-to-face and learn more about each other and our sport; and in an environment where everyone didn't have to be wearing their "game face". In my opinion, this concept continues to be important, while the worldwide slalom community is still pretty widely dispersed, and centered in the internet environment, where identity and personality can be easily misinterpreted.

The Gatherings are for the people who attend, and each successive event has been somewhat different from the past. Results of the races are rarely, "officially" posted, and the only Champions declared have been for the Ncdsa.com Cyber Slalom Cup, which has moved to Colorado this year.

Even with no "Gathering" champions, it is often clear who the dominant skater of the weekend is.

Gathering Trivia: What 1980's-era slalom great dominated the action at the first Gathering?

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:35 pm

Woh...BP looks rough....beleive it or not I was not even drinking.

The Gathering is about having fun and making everyone better slalom racers.

I like seeing results, even though there is nothing on the line in any of the races I will be posting the results so people can compare their performance to there buddies. Timer...cones....skateboards... if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck......you know the rest.

Andy....smokestack?

Andy...if you have a chance give me a call today at 703-488-6131..I need to get a soft copy of the waivers you used last year.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:40 pm

Oh, one more thing....I will be bringing hotdogs and burgers on Saturday for everyone.

The park is equiped with grills and tables. If you want something different then just bring it along.

Also please remember to bring water, gatoraid, etc....It is not really convienant to go out of the park to get lunch.

Elisa Campbell

Post by Elisa Campbell » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:22 pm

This will be the one year anniversery of Woodcamp on Slalom boards! We're all getting excited! As for Katii and I, we have a grudge that must be put to rest: sister v. sister, seismic v. radikal. Sorry Mark, but I'm gonna beat her.
Elisa

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:25 am

Hey yall
I will be missing the Gathering festivities... so sad. I hurt my knee at lacrosse so I will not be able to go. Have a blast!!!!! See yall at the next Outlaw race.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:42 am

Sorry to hear about Brittany getting hurt and not able to show up at the Gathering. She would have had a blast skating with the likes of Elisa and Katii.

Brittany, get your parents to rent a wheelchair for you and I'll set a course with cones spaced far enough apart for you to race. Seriously, you might want to take a trip on out to the Gathering anyway just to hang out and watch some of the racing and take a look at the equipment. Last year I was injured due to a bad fall prior to the Gathering and couldn't skate but I hung out anyway. The vibe at this event is dakine.
lbk

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:28 am

Brittany, Last year I had a leg cast , still had a blast. If youre able come hang & meet & watch.

Brian & Andy, thank you for going with the flow & getting the longboard slalom on, it always happens anyways. Westly, Ill loan you a longboard ;-)

Bozi Boards will setup camp as before, & have wheels for those in need, as well as wedges, lots of hardware, longer kinpins,Bushings, etc for those needing to make tweeks. Also look for DC/DC (DC Downhill Club) tee shirts on sale from Anthony at my tent/table/thingi.

Also will have new Concrete Wave , It will have a piece in it with my Daughters picture in the shop (Ill give anyone a dollar who asks her to sign it, I like torturing her ;-)

Ill see you guys this weekend, Ill have a special board for someone, If theres any ER trips the first day for anyone like last year, they prempt, & will get prize..........Elisa was tough as nails last year, came rite back to skate. Please no girl crashes this year, boy crashes only.

Have fun, bring coffee, Jeff
Bomb-Carve-Flow

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:19 pm

Hey guys. It s getting closer. For those getting into town on Friday.

Some have asked if there is any skate spots that can be used prior to the Outlaw race Friday night. The Park and Ride is usually filled with cars until around 8pm. I know last year there was riding and course setting at Seneca creek on Friday....

Andy do you think this is a good move. I dont want to piss off a ranger on Friday and jeopardise Saturdays event.

I am not going to be able to get to Gaithersburg on Friday until the afternoon.

Keith H. got your message and if Andy does not see a problem with going to Seneca on Friday and you guys want to go there and skate and set some courses that would be cool. But Andy has more experience dealing with the park folks there.

Also, Alisa and Katti may need a ride to their hotel from the Shady Grove metro stop around 2pm tomorrow. Is there anyone up that way that could give them a ride?

Call me if there are any issues or questions. 703-901-5167

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Seneca on Friday

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:24 pm

Attempting to skate at Seneca Creek on Friday would involve skating in unrented, private picnic areas, which WILL be a problem with the park. Last year, I rented The Gathering Site on Friday for a workday, setting up for the coming event, pre-setting courses, etc. I made the mistake of publicizing that fact, and during a run to get supplies, a whole bunch of people showed up with a certain sense that they were somehow entitled to be there skating and the whole thing turned into a day of sessioning. Anyone who was there knows it was not a good day for me, as I watched my plans for the event and the money I'd spent for them go right down the drain, while somehow I was being made out as the bad-guy. There was no way I was going to spend my money to do that again.

The Cardinal Picnic area at Seneca Creek State Park (aka The Gathering Site) is still available for rent on Friday, April 30. Anyone wishing to rent it should contact Maryland State Department of Natural Resources at 1-888-432-2267. Otherwise, as an interested and affected local, I'd ask that people not come in and mess up what has been a pretty good relationship between slalom skateboarding and the park.

Brian, We have not used releases for The Gatherings in the past. Two years ago, I did use a registration form, but that was just because I was beginning to build a list for the USSSF. My position has always been that skateboarding is permitted in Seneca Creek State Park, so any people who choose to do so, do so at their own risk.

Parking. People may certainly park at the picnic areas where the Gathering will be held, but people MUST park in parking spaces. There is NO parking off the side of the roads on the grass. This was the most major issue with the park last year. The year before, we were very pleasantly requested to use the parking spaces provided and avoid parking on grass. Last year, somehow, being asked to park in particular places became another bone of contention between several attendees and myself, as if, somehow, I was telling them where to park just to push them around or something. In the end, the park didn't even make any further comment on the one unruly ejection we had during the event, what they did want to talk to me about was our continued "refusal" to use the parking spaces provided before parking "all over the grass".

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:32 pm

Also, Alisa and Katti may need a ride to their hotel from the Shady Grove metro stop around 2pm tomorrow. Is there anyone up that way that could give them a ride?
BP,
If no one is available to shuttle, I could probably "disappear" from work for a little bit and take them up to their hotel (Summerfield, I presume?). My office is about 5 minutes from the metro.

It would be $20+ by cab!!!

Call my cell 301-793-9412

Q