4th Annual VINTAGE SKATEBOARD & LONGBOARD DAY 11/22/03

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

David Riordon

4th Annual VINTAGE SKATEBOARD & LONGBOARD DAY 11/22/03

Post by David Riordon » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:19 am

4th Annual VINTAGE SKATEBOARD & LONGBOARD DAY
Surfrider Foundation-Washington DC Capitol Chapter

1) Longboard Skateboards (new) & Vintage Skateboard Public Displays
2) Discounted Skate Session for Longboarders and/or Old School Skaters
3) Banked Slalom (Race & Rally Formats)
4) Flatland Slalom (Jam Format)

Date: Saturday 11/22/03 (Weekend before Thanksgiving week)

Address: Potomac Mills Mall, 2700 Potomic Mills Cir., Ste. 202, Woodbridge, VA 22192

Registration: Day of event and/or on line if possible at ncdsa.com. Please indicate in "Comment" section the event(s) you are entering. If you are going to display items breifly describe your display (ie New Longboards, Pig Boards, 60's to 70's boards, etc.).

MANY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!: Volunteers, please also register if you can but any walk-ins (such as parents, friends, students needing community service time, etc.) are welcomed.

ITINERARY:

1) -> Vintage & Longboard Items Displayed: 10am-11pm
Collectors Will Register with Surfrider Foundation Volunteers & Display Their Collection Indoors but outside the skating area Along the Fence. (Registered Collectors Skate Free All Day!).

2) -> Discounted Sessions Longboarders & Old Schoolers: 10am-11pm
Skateboarders riding longboard skateboards or vintage skateboards will skate at a discounted rate of $5.00 per session.

3) -> Modified Banked Slalom Race & Rally: 7pm-9pm
Contestants will register with Surfrider Foundation Volunteers by donating $5.00 to Surfrider. The contestant will then pay for a discounted sessions ($5.00 for 7-9pm).

RALLY- Any type of board can be used. An easy time will be set, each contestant gets one shot at equalling the time. Closest time wins (last year's prize was a Bozi Complete).

RACE- Any type of board can be used.

4) -> Flatland Slalom Race (Jam Format): 10am-4pm.
Any slalom board can be used and loaner boards will be available. Cone penalty/DQ to be announced. Cone spacing will be an easy 6.5’ or more on a straight line so all abilities can race. The entry fee is free but you have to show a current receipt from a Vans Session to race. Format will be best of three declared runs. In other words, practice as much as you want but to get a time you must declare each run prior to running it. Race ends promptly at 4pm. Strategy will play a part of this race.

ed note: click image for direct link to www.ncdsa.com contest page.

SPONSORS (e-mail driordon@earthlink(add dot)net if you are interested & we will list you)
Last edited by David Riordon on Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
lbk

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:48 am

BOZI BOARDS will put up the baddest complete on the planet for prize this year as well.........

Do I get a tee shirt?

Jeff
Bomb-Carve-Flow

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:16 am

Would it be possible to have www.slalomskateboarder.com listed as a sponsor? We are not able to "support" you with products but we are able to help with the promotion of your event online.

I took the liberty to add a direct image/link in your post to the www.ncdsa.com contest page for your event. Let me know if this is not ok and I will restore your post as it was immediatly.

Have fun, wish I could make it and best regards.

adam t

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:31 am

Adam,

Thanks for adding the link. I listed SlalomSkateboarder.com as a sponsor. Cooperation between the sites will be cool.

Jeff,

Your choice of a Washington DC Chapter Surfrider T-shirt. We have two designs http://www.surfrider.org/capitol/merchandise.htm
lbk

Tim Keasbey

Post by Tim Keasbey » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:31 pm

Dave, that date is 10/22/03, that is uh...today. do you mean 10/25/03 (this saturday) or 11/22/03 which is a Saturday, my guess is that is it.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:42 am

November 22, 2003 (weekend before Thanksgiving).

Remember, last year was a zoo so we need some volunteers to pick some tasks to help out. For example:

Brian P.- Contacting Sponsors
? - Timer Judge
? - Results Judge recording info on poster board(s)
? - etc.
lbk

Tim Keasbey

Post by Tim Keasbey » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:08 pm

Pencil me as "Time Lord"

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:03 pm

I'm in for whatever needs to be done. Let me know.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:23 pm

I have a few ideas on how to make this the most "killer" event in the history of the Vintage Day. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas. I love this event and would love to see 5000 racers in attendance this year.

We should put Slappy in charge of trying to get us a PA system so John Dillon can do his magic on the mic.
We should try to get some high jump pads for the end of the cyber slalom course.
We should try to get some bleacher seating for the spectator area outside the fence that looks into the banked slalom course.
Flyers should be out in all of the skate shops very soon.
Is there a limit on racers?
A more sophisticated staging area during the race would be good. Gets a little crowded on top of the quarter pipes.
Give people the opportunity to pay their entry fee and register online. This way you already have a list started of everyone who will be racing prior to race day.
If promoted right I could see having well over 50 racers. Is this too many?
Is Vans going to allow us to put up banners of the sponsors or is this a violation of some advertising rule they have?
I would recommend shorting the cyber slalom from last year to allow for better control of checking everyone’s Vans session ticket. We were really crammed into a small space last year due to the soda machines and the length of the course.
Do we have power over where the cyber slalom will be set up? It would be good to run a TV with some Mollica videos.

Race format:
Have the rally race earlier in the day not right before the baked slalom. No stopwatches allowed during the rally. This was how the Bozi was won at the Deathrace.

For the banked slalom:
I think it is best to lay out a course that is only run in one direction. I know we are limited here but we should try to get a few sessions in at vans to look at some different course options. This way the timer does not need to be moved as much.

Each racer gets two qualifying runs. Take the top 16 and allow them two more runs to determine the winner.

During practice have some course workers available to keep practicing racers going in one direction. With this many racers it is like a gladiator pit during practice with racers going in both directions.
The race area should be strictly closed off to everyone that does not have a race number. Again this requires volunteers.
I think having trophies for the top 3 guys is also a good thing; maybe we can come up with something creative like Smallwood did for his downhill race. Those were killer trophies.

What about a live punk band on top of the half pipe.

Post up you ideas. Getting everyone envolved insures a great event. I would love to blow the top off of Vans this year.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:00 pm

Banked Slalom: The banked slalom course should be run in both directions. That is the only fair way to do it. If we use Mitch’s/Dave’s brower timer, this can be managed easily.

Flat Slalom: There is more room for the flat slalom course on the side of the park where the bathrooms are.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:06 pm

Yes Wes we would have more room on the other side but the lawsuit that occurs when someone kills themself after slamming into the glass doors would not make the extra space worth it. Use that big egg of yours for something more than a rack for your flyaway.

Since you are such a good banked slalom racer you only get one qualifying run in one direction. Everyone else gets two in both directions. Also there will be back stops. And any wrenching before, during or after the race results in a DQ.

All in good fun....Wes Zepplin

Wes I was hoping you would volunteer to help us find a PA, or bleacher seating or in your free time distribute flyers at skate shops.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:53 am

Pardon me Parsons, but I never said which <i>direction</i> to run the flat slalom in. Start it at the end with the glass doors, of course. Sheesh!

The plan would be to run the banked slalom in each direction and each person’s best time, regardless of direction, would be considered.

Bleacher seating? How would you be able to get it in there?

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:58 am

Anybody got a line on high jump pads for the end of the cyber slalom course?

Anybody got a line on bleacher seating for the spectator area outside the fence that looks into the banked slalom course?

I'll make up Flyers this weekend for all the skate shops.

No limit on racers! Last year we had 47 racers in the bank slalom and 22 for the flatland slalom.

We need volunteers to keep the staging area up on the 6' half-pipe deck.

I'll have to see if I can set up a PayPal account for entry fee..

Vans allows sponsor banners!

We can shorten the flatland slalom course if needed for more set up room.

Surfrider has a TV we can set up but I like using Van's overhead TV's better.

We could do the Rally format on the session before the race session.

I would like to run the banked slalom both ways but we will have to see.

Might be able to do qualifying runs for bank slalom if we have our act together.

Need volunteers to police the practice sessions, this can also be done by having the Brower Timer up on the bank side early so people can practice for times.

Volunteer(s) needed to make trophies.

Slappy, can you get a PA System?

Anybody got a punk band for on top of the half pipe?

PLEASE help out by picking a task from above and volunteer on line at ncdsa.com calendar page and list your volunteer duty.

Thanks
lbk

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:52 am

of all things...

I know a christian/punk/sk8 band that would probably play for the exposure. (and maybe a free pass to sk8) they're new skool skaters, as far as I know, but if you really want some live music, lemme know, and I'll talk to them.

Q

Cabbage

pencil me in

Post by Cabbage » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:33 pm

Question, will anybody be able to catch me this year? Just wanted it to be known I am the undefeated champion of this event, and I plan on keeping it that way. Kurt got close last year, but I got faster this year, now go practice. I'm just have'n fun with ya'll, stoked to see everyone amp'n on this year, see you there. Oh yeah, I vote new course, but whatever is cool with me. I have some great ideas, but they include different sections of the park.

Anthony Smallwood

Van's

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:42 am

Can anyone describe the route of the banked slalom event from last year? What kind of boards were people riding? Are you allowed to put your foot down to push? Is there a longboard pool contest? Inquiring minds want to know....

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:05 am

EVERYBODY, LET'S GET THE HYPE GOING!

We have listed slalomskateboarder.com as a sponsor for helping promote the event for us by linking ncdsa to this web site. See the first couple of posts. DR

CABBAGE,

Sign up on ncdsa.com and talk to your boys at Gravity for prizes. Have them contact Brian Parsons to send the swag to him. BTW, look out for the competition, they will be looking to unseat you from the 1st place spot. DR

ANTHONY,

I'll try to get the course online for you. Foot pushing is allowed but it is a fast course with the speed coming from pumping the bank tranny and smooth carve turns. Best to use whatever board you skate pools with to race the banked slalom. Loaner boards will be available for the flat slalom. DR

JACK,

Any band with their own equipment is cool. Have them contact me if interested. DR
lbk

Anthony Smallwood

Van's

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:21 am

Thanks Dave. I ride my 44" Dregs Maggie in the pool but I have a feeling that's going to be too long for quick bank turns...oh well. How about the Bozi 36" slalom stick? Would that work? Where was the beginning and finish line? I'll try and get some swag from Rudy Project and I should have some DCDC shirts printed up also.
BTW, I'm itching to take some nice long downhill carves / runs at my secret location in Southeast, but I'm REALLY LONELY! Anyone up for a taste? I promise it's super safe and easy to manage. Are there any skate adventurers out there??? PLEASE, SOMEBODY!!!

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:04 am

Anthony,

Slalom decks don't work on the banked slalom course. You would do better with the 44" Dregs. The turns in the course are swooping carved out ones. The slalom boards bog down through the tranny. Park boards or new school boards (regular ollie street decks) rule the banked slalom course with hard wheels (94 duro+).

Thanks for checking up with Rudy Project. I'll list them as sponsors just for your trying to get us some swag.

Thanks,
DR
lbk

Rene Hayden

skatin' and grinnin'

Post by Rene Hayden » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:01 pm

Hey Anthony,

hell yes, I'd like to take you up on that, but unfortunately, I've tied to my chair for the next two weeks while I wrap up my dissertation.

see you in November, all!

Anthony Smallwood

Rene in SE

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:02 pm

Hey Rene, I can wait. I don't have a choice. Good luck on your dissertation. Call me when you're done. Also, if you need a ride to the Van's Vintage Day, let me know.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Calling Anthony Smallwood

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:01 am

Anthony, I've left you phone messages and sent e-mails, but I'm guessing you didn't receive them or something. Could you please contact me asap at gbjphotoworksAThotmail.com. Thanks.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:19 am

@DR,
I will check with the band, and if they're into it, I'll put them in touch with you.

Jack

Slappy Maxwell

PA system

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:57 am

Anthony, I'm into some SE riding. You can email me at cleanfront@aol(dot) com

Dave and Brian, I can get a PA if you need one. I'm assuming you won't if there is a band since you could use their PA.

Cabbage

tim keasby

Post by Cabbage » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:07 am

email me those photos from lansdowne, if you remember, cabbage@gravityboard.com

I'm stoked to see 'em

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:43 am

@cabbage

go here for the nose stall shot:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post ... st&forum=1

@dave

I've sent you a PM with contact info for the band.

Q

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:45 am

Slappy, Jeff Boswell, WesE., Timbo........,

We need help in creating contest flyers to handout to shops and the Tony Hawk Boom Boom Huck Jam @ MCI Center this Sunday (Nov. 2nd) 6pm. I think we can have multiple versions of the flyer out there. So if you want to make a flyer go ahead & make one.

DR

Brian,

How are things going with the sponsors for the event?

DR
lbk

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:14 pm

Dave,

Check your email. Let me know if there is other manufactures you would like for me to contact. I will start calling the guys that have not responded in a few days.

Are event T-shirts out fo the question? Is that something else we could work on.

Slappy Maxwell

Poster

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:42 pm

I've got a poster in the works. I'll make the graphics so it can be adjusted to a t-shirt design if needed.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:46 am

Brian,

No swag is too big or too small. T-shirts and stickers are cool donated prizes also.

Slappy,

Thanks in advance. BTW, my wife said she read something today in the free Washington Post Commuter Paper about the Tony Hawk Boom Boom Huck Jam. It said that the Boom Boom thing was "not a lame empty pool contest". Maybe we should poke fun back at them with a a lame empty pool contest flyer. Maybe turn it into a lame slalom contest flyer instead.

DR
lbk

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:49 pm

A small, completely irrelevant question: If we are displaying decks, will zipties (or some other board holding device) be provided? If not, what would be the best thing to buy to display decks on the vans fence? THanks.

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:40 am

If you are going to display vintage skateboard gear, modern longboards, or anything else that you think is interesting like a "What is Slalom" booth, here are a few things you might want to have with you.

*Zip Ties (we will be providing them but it is best to bring your own)
*Table (not necessary but a small card table would be best)
*Chairs (2 lawn chairs- one for you and one for a friend to chill with and watch your stuff while skateboarding, bathroom breaks, etc.)
*Camera to take photos of everything.

Last year John Dillion had a cool display, it felt like you were in his living room.
lbk

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:18 pm

Hey Dave, Slappy.

Nanette was able to make some poster size type print outs of the flyer. It would be cool to get these into the skate shops asap. Can we meet somewhere this week or weekend to hit all of the places we want to put flyers.

Also, if you guys know how to post up pictures. Post that thing up on the contest calendar.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:10 pm

Brian, I've got a color version as well. I'll post it up and send it to you.

I met Dillon at East Coast Board last night. Unfortunately I forgot to bring fliers. I knew Fairfax Surf Shop was thinking of closing I didn't know it was already gone. We skated Patriot Center for a few hours.

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:34 am

Someone email a copy of flyer, Il put it on my site & link to signup as well.
Bomb-Carve-Flow

David Morris

flyers

Post by David Morris » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:15 pm

Hey Guys,

if you have a flyer that you could email me as a jpg attachment so I could print it out I would be happy to hand some out here on the coast. There is the surf shops here, the skatepark at Trashmore, and there is also the Vans store at MacArthur Mall in downtown Norfolk.

Just it on and I will hand'em out.......

David "davmo" Morris

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:54 am

Vlad,

Noah said he was going to kick your butt again in the flat slalom at vintage day like he did at last year's vintage day.

Slappy,

Can you send Dave Morris the Vintage/Longboard Day Flyer. Each time I send it to him he can't open the photo. Could you send in a couple of formats if that is possible. I'm sending it to him imbeded on my e-mail and something is not working out.

Thanks,

DR
lbk

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:13 am

Slappy (et al)...
Try this:

Slightly compressed image (95 kb)

Original image at:
http://inthequeue.com/sk8/images/Vintage-Day1.JPG (256 kb)

Q

-professional geek

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:07 pm

Here's the official color version.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:28 am

Big Surprise!
I've got 70s rock legends, Orleans, to play at the Vintage Day.
I know someone in the band.

I was gonna use my Loverboy connections but I figured we need to keep it pretty mellow...with the kids and all. I've nursed some serious injuries from being in the mosh pits at a few Loverboy shows.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:20 am

“Orleans”? Never heard of them.

This post to be continued by me later...

David Morris

Wes!

Post by David Morris » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:55 pm

Wes, "You're still the one."

David "davmo" Morris

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:06 pm

Wes your lying. You once told me your favorite song was Dance With Me!

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:38 am

For Vintage Day, can a couple of you come up with a slalom specific display?

The Flatland Slalom Jam Race is not just a race but it is an event to get people to tryout slalom skateboarding. Maybe the display could have the following:

-> Banner to hang over the display to bring in the crowd to the Flatland Slalom side of the park.
-> Wesley Tucker's Slalom Brochure (let's say 50+ copies)
-> Photos of past races.
-> Example Slalom boards & wheels (to explain truck & wheel setups)
-> Slalom boards to borrow (I will have one or two and Brian will also)
-> Cone examples (with the base on, being cut off, finished cone, & a Turner Cone).
-> TV to show slalom videos & DVD's (Surfrider has a TV-VCR but not DVD player)
- etc.

We could then take turns answering questions and talking people into trying out slalom.

It is time we give back more to slalom and start recruiting others.

DUTY NOW FOR THE FUTURE.

DR
lbk

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:24 am

I've got the two La Costa races that were on Fox Sports on my Tivo. I could record them on a video cassette if needed.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:58 am

If we’re going to show examples of soccer cones, we should also have something explaining why the slotted cones are bad.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:10 pm

Dave,

Make sure you go to the Media Resources forum and get the LATEST copy of the brochure. I posted up a .pdf two weeks ago of the changes everyone wanted that corrects the bracketing and also went back to only two web site links for reference (since Hugh R. and SS.com are merging, I went ahead and deleted the link to GrassrootsSlalom.com, or whatever it was Hugh calls it.)

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:19 pm

If we’re going to show examples of slalom skateboards, we should also have something explaining why the bedroom furniture is bad.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:33 am

PlankkR will have an M5 model for a special case of Seven Point Three ft flatland SuperG.

Also, inline skates are faster for GS. Maybe I'll put mine on display.

John Dillon

LBK: U know I'm in the house ref Vintage Day

Post by John Dillon » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:12 pm

U know I'll help u out, lbk....but I'm thinking about not bringing all my vintage stuff as it took me a few weeks to unload it all back last yr plus a couple guys want my ungripped Schmitt Stix Chainsaw and it'll be hard to say no in these hard times(economy) and I really want to keep it. Last yr there were some great displayers and I'm sure this yr will be no disappointment but I will help on the mic and to organize the banked slalom too...and try to take Cabbage down....and help set up in the morn!