DC Skateboard Club

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:27 pm

It's about high time we organize a skateboard club for the DC extended area (VA Beach to PA & beyond). The focus of the club would be on downhill, slalom, park riding and so forth.

We could make it a loosely organized group of skateboarders and friends that support skateboarding in our area. Membership would be free and there would be no real need for formalities such as meetings, minutes or even voted leaders. You wouldn't have to live in the DC area to be a member.

The club could should be something like a DC version of FCR. We would have t-shirts, stickers, etc. It would also be easier to organize events under one club name (dealing w/ govt official & insurance).

Wonder if we should just merge in with Anthony & Doug's DC Downhill Club (DCDC)?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Riordon on 2003-09-13 14:28 ]</font>

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:51 pm

Just got off the phone w/ Anthony Smallwood, he is full into the idea of the DC slalom crew merging into the DC Downhill Club (DCDC). This will be one heck of a momentum builder for both the slalom and downhill speedboarding scene in the greater Washington DC area!

Anthony Smallwood

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:38 pm

Yep, sounds good to me.
Both groups have a sort of Outlaw / Jamaican Bobsled Team type quality about them.
What's really cool is the fact that we've all made our marks on our respective sports, despite our geographical handicap.
Our first race had $1000 prize money, free rooms at a cash hotel, free food and beer.... Riders got rock star treatment. That at a time when not much was happening.
You guys have had a solid, total underground series that keeps everyone active and the Gathering is outstanding for slalom.
California is great, when you can get there.
Having activities and events in our backyard keeps us in the game.
I think we can put on some great events.
Last week's race was a nice example.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:44 am

I always liked something with 'Mid Atlantic' in the name.

I came up with this rough idea a year ago...

I know Dave didn't like the 'incline' because it was close to 'inline'.

But Massive is a cool name.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:54 am

I like the idea, but the name is kinda flat.
How about PASSIVE? Or maybe PUSSIVE? Oh, I don't know...the choices are so many...

:smile:

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:48 am

MASSIVE is a good idea but I think it would be re-inventing the wheel. DC~DC is ready to go and they have a good reputation to jump off with. Not to mention they have a cool logo and drawing on their t-shirts.

BTW, the t-shirt drawing is of JT getting speedwobbles and slapping his hands on the ground to keep from crashing. Anthony was right there and witnessed JT pull out of the wobbles. Anthony then sketched a drawing of it and the shirt design was born. JT is the big guy that had that major crash at the finish line at Adams Morgan Day.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:18 pm

DC Downhill Club is cool if it's only downhill and slalom in the DC metro area.

If park and street are going to be involved with skaters from Pennsylvania to Va Beach, the name is kinda limiting and exclusionary.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:57 am

I agree with Slappy, park and street should not be included.

Just the other day, I was thinking, it would be nice if we who attend the DC races regularly could present ourselves as a "team". (No WT, I'm not looking for free swag!). T-Shirts would be enough, I'd even pay for mine :smile:
I just think that we are a close-knit bunch who should (could) be represented as such.

DCDC is cool with me, if that's what others want. As long as PA isn't too far away :smile:
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:40 am

You guys are right regarding the pool and park skaters but I don't think that we would exclude anybody from that side of skateboarding. Let's run with the DC~DC idea and see how it goes. I tried to get a club going last year but it didn't get off the ground. My support goes 100% to DC~DC. Come help us out!

Now let's get started on some stickers to start with so the boys going out to Morro Bay & West Virginia can represent. Anybody got some contacts for quick cheap stickers? I'll front the cost.

Tim Keasbey

Post by Tim Keasbey » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:15 pm

I like the idea of DCDC (The shirts are awesome). Always liked "DC Outlaws" but it would be easier to hook up areas to race without the "outlaw" in the name.

Question: If I take the 6 figure gig I have been offered in Southern California can I still be a member?

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:55 am

Yo Tim!
I'd agree that once a member, always a member no matter where you move...pool draining sesh this sat in SE...come help...call me.

John Dillon

MASSIVE/DCDC Skateboard Club

Post by John Dillon » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:16 am

Hey, how about a skateboard club with T-shirt designs that represent all the various aspects of skateboarding....and our own ala the Gravity design which shows several types of skaters...then the words"It's all good". I really like that message...we could come up with our own positive message. Comments from the peanut gallery and from those not in the peanut gallery are requestedand encouraged.

Anthony Flis

Post by Anthony Flis » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:27 am

i really like this idea and would love to be a part of it and i know some other people who would love it too. If I can id take a t-shirt and some stickers....can't say no to stuff like that especially when youre working to cover your entire longboards and slalom board with stickers....

Brittany Concepcion

Post by Brittany Concepcion » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:21 am

I like that idea. And if yall are lookin for a place to make t-shirts there is a place that my brother use to work at in manassas called Slopers stitchhouse they can make jackets hats t-shirts lots of stuff i think they might make stickers i dont know but its a great place.

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:20 pm

It sounds like a great idea and Dc Downhill Club sounds great. What we can do to make sure people think we're not just downhill is to make it say right under the club name in a smaller print "slalom, downhill" and all the other skating it would be associated with. The only problem, now that I think about it is that would be a lot of words.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:46 pm

DC/DC!!!

Anthony,
Your youngest recruit (Michael, aka Bertleboy) and his father (me) want to know what we need to do to get shirts!!!

Sometimes he has the patience of a child...
I guess that's because, well, he IS a child!!! hahaha

Q

Anthony Smallwood

t's

Post by Anthony Smallwood » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:10 pm

Yo guys, they're coming soon, I swear....they might be done by Saturday but that's a long shot. If they are, I'll bring them to the race.

Hey Dillon, late night snowboarding sounds great. Keep me posted

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:20 am

Anthony,
Although Michael hasn't asked me in a day or so, I'm sure he will be asking as we approach Saturday...

Any progress on DC/DC shirts? We'd be glad to put bucks up front, but I'm guessing free time is the issue.

Let me know if I can help.

Q