DC Outlaw : Surfing with Hurricane Fabian on the OBX

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:36 am

Hello fellow DC Outlaw friends.

This notice is for DC Outlaw guys that Surf. With the approaching Hurricane Fabian making its way towards land here on the eastern seaboard I was wondering how many of you are going to be hitting the water with their surfboards catching some the great ground swells that hopefully Fabian will provide us wave starved surfers.

I will be heading to the outerbanks of North Carolina on Thursday morning once I get off of work at the Fire Station at 7:00 am. and depending on how the surf is on Thursday evening I may even camp out on Thursday night on Hatteras Island and Surf more on Friday. I will be with a few other fellow Firefighters who surf and I was hoping that I might see a few of the DC Outlaws that surf on the OBX too.

So if you read this and you are planning on hitting the banks for a day of surfing (and or camping) on Thursday or Friday drop me an email (davmo@aol.com) and hopefully I will see you there!

Also I will be at the next DC Outlaw race, I was able to take a day off so I could race with you guys. I really need the extra ride time and the points!

Take care guys,

David "davmo" Morris

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:49 am

Just my luck, I'll be on the wrong coast this week.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:54 am

The Weather Channel has it offshore of the Banks on Saturday. I'm thinking Saturday/Sunday might be better?
My experience at Tybee Island with Hugo and Gilbert(i think?) when the 'Canes passed by offshore it was always better the day after it passed.

I'm kinda thinking of heading down on Saturday and camping at Hatteras. Steamers seems like a spot that might be nice for these conditions.

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:28 pm

Hi Slappy,

Cool. Good to hear at least one of the DC Outlaw guys will get some waves.

Some of the swell should start showing up on the banks on Thursday and at least by Friday it should be good. I have my sons this weekend so that will cut in a bit of my surfing so if I do go out on Saturday or Sunday It will probably be in the AM hours and I will not be able to make it an all dayer. When there is surf in town I usually do not travel far. Who knows on Monday as the storm travels north I may head north.