Skate Across America

Slalom Skateboarding in Washington, U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Brian Parsons

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:31 pm

Guys Jack and crew are leaving on there cross country skate on August 2nd they hope to finish in Williamsburg Virginia on around August 21st. I would like to get a group of VA/DC/MD skaters together that would be interested in skating along with them for part of the Virginia crossing.

Post up if you would like to participate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Parsons on 2003-07-17 17:44 ]</font>

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:37 pm

Brian, I wouldof if I could. But I'll be in Moscow.

Anybody?

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:52 am

Brian, I talked w/Jack yesterday and told him we could get together some skaters to meet him. I can probably meet him in Richmond. Not sure if I can do both days. The first day will start in Harrisonburg and go to Richmond then the second day to Williamsburg.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:51 pm

Brian, I am still up for it. Do you have the route listing for Virginia? We should plan this out soon.

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:47 pm

Hey guys...yea, I was thinking along the same lines...to show support for Jack & crew...let me know...I would like to join in this endeavour...maybe I could sk8 w/them after work in the eve before it gets dark...what time are they starting in the morn and til when in the pm? I might be able to catch up w/them before they get to richmond. keep me informed!

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:44 pm

Don't know that I can make it, but if I can... I'm definitely into it. Keep posting info here.

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:28 am

I'm in but I'm only planned on sk8ing a couple miles or so,(we'll see) but I do want to show up and support, keep me posted dillon..

post the plans here, soon as we have an idea when they'll be arriving in VA.

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:40 pm

Who wants to try to hook up with Jack Smith & crew skating across America as they either roll into richmond or depart for Williamsburg...can someone find out their route....let's get a bunch of people to greet them at the finish in Williamsburg or as they pull into richmond or as they start their final leg to Williamsburg....if they finish on saturday aug 23 we should be able to make this happen...if it's on friday then it could be harder to get down there.....but I'd be into it...we need to find out their schedule...anybody have the latest? Let me know.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:03 pm

John, check the official page for the itinerary updates: http://www.asphaltplayground.com/lowe.html

I’m still considering joining them, probably when they get passed the highest Appalacheans of Virginia. I’m not ready for terminal velocity downhill speed. I can only imagine what it will be like for them right after they pass Elkins WV.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:21 pm

I just saw on the "other" website, in the SAA forum that Nick Crest estimates arrival in Williamsburg next Friday or Saturday.

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:22 pm

WesE!! Please call Jack Smith ASAP!

John Dillon you too!!

I should be talking to him tonight. He wants me to call the Chamber of Commerce in Williamsburg to announce when they will arrive.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:30 pm

I intend to meet up with the SAA For Lowe Syndrome tomorrow morning in Harrisonburg VA. I called Jack a couple of times today but could only leave messages. I will have to talk to them tonight, as there probably isn’t any cell service until they get to Harrisonburg. I will hopefully then get ride from Williamsburg back to Harrisonburg with the crew.

I called the Williamsburg Chamber Of Commerce, but it might help if someone else does the same. Williamsburg Chamber Of Commerce: 757-229-6511 or 800-368-6511 Web address: http://www.williamsburgcc.com

Phone number of the local newspaper: 757-220-1736 (desk of Bill Tolbert)

Edited part:
I’d like to get bigtime media coverage on this, although I’m really terrible at cold-calling. I have also not been able to find the right contact numbers for any TV news channels.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WesE on 2003-08-20 16:43 ]</font>

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:14 am

Alright, folks. It’s all set. I’m going to skateboard across Virginia. I am meeting up with the SAA crew in Harrisonburg VA, Thursday morning. We will be leaving the Econo Lodge of Harrisonburg at 8am, headed for Richmond. If anyone needs to contact me and doesn’t have my cell number, get it from Brian Parsons, Slappy, Dave Riordon, John Dillon or anyone else in the DC area that slaloms. I don’t know how much of a signal I’ll have throughout, but Richmond is a sure thing, so leave a message if you get no answer.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:40 am

You go Wes!
Have a good time. Wish I could be there. Say hi to The guys for all of us.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:54 am

WesE skating with Jack today was one heck of a class act on WesE's part.

Wes, thanks for making time to do it.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:53 pm

If was a previlege to skate with Jack, Josh, Stan and Nick. Those guys are truly (for lack of a better term) hard corps. I got a blister on the ball of my foot that is the size of a half dollar, by the end of the first day. The Blue Ridge mountain that I tried to handle was very scary, with unquantifiable steepnees, random patches of rough pavement, more than enough road traffic, and not much (if at all) of a shoulder. The stuff after Richmond was excellent. All in all, an experience that would be hard to trade for anything.

Now. how do I heal a massive blister in six days?

I hope to meet Jack, Josh, Scott, and Nick again someday.