A PVD Question With An Answer Not Affecting Me In The Least

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

A PVD Question With An Answer Not Affecting Me In The Least

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue May 29, 2007 8:49 pm

I know many people still ride their PVDs and love the performance. I never have one and have only ridden one a couple of times.

As a purely practical matter, though, I do wonder about the aging of the truck and especially those custom square bushings. What happens then they start to wear out, dry out, crack and crumble away as all soft parts on skateboards tend to do?

Is there anyway to get raw material to fashion more? Were all the PVD users smart enough to have enough foresight to get plenty of spares from Peter before he gave up the business?

Like I said, it's not something affecting me. I'm just really curious what PVD users are anticipating. Considering some of those bushings are now 4 or 5 years old, it might be time for some replacements if they've been ridden hard.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Tue May 29, 2007 8:58 pm

hmmmmm.........

well, I think you might be able to fashion replacements from wheels, like those guys that make regular bushings from Flywheels and such.

I came across an extra set of Jones longboard trucks that needed bushings and these are shaped like nothing else. I had a machinist buddy procure me some rubber in 2 different duros and I hand made some bushings with a bandsaw and a belt sander. There's probably somewhere that you can get sheets of urethane and fashion your own. I got tubes of urethane from McMaster-Carr in 80a that I cut into bushings, they work fine. They have rubber as well.
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Tue May 29, 2007 9:45 pm

I think Vlad made a set out of flywheels once. Expensive. Geezer X is a PVD advocate, if anyone could remake the bushings, he could (or'd know where to go).

This might not make sense, but I think that because the bushings on PVD's are internal, they're less prone to drying or cracking. I have several bushings in the 86-88a range, but they're too soft for the back and too hard for the front (for me). Each of my trucks stands today in the same configuration(s) as they have been for years. That's what is so great about these trucks.....once you have them dialed to your preference, you NEVER have to adjust them, unless you want to, of course. I can honestly say that my oldest R2 behaves the same way that it did 4 years ago. I never do anything to it except tweak the tension for tighter or looser riding. I suppose the busings could be dry or cracking, but you wouldn't know it unless you looked and I've never (yet) had a reason to. Arab was always critical of the metal to metal contact where the hanger rides the kingpin - he said that would fail eventually. I have several PVD's, all of which have been ridden a LOT. They are still the most solid, "industrial strength" maintenance free trucks I've ever seen.

Despite the necessary price tag, someone with the resources should consider making another run of R2's. The CAD designs are 'open source' But as in the first 2 go arounds, the market would be limited. Then again, isn't the GOG rear around 200-250?

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue May 29, 2007 10:06 pm

it really doesnt matter what you're making,if you need something to make something skate related,look it up on "Mcmaster-Carr".btw,cnova had a couple interviews with them this year,i was hoping he'd get the job just for the employee discount.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Tue May 29, 2007 11:14 pm

I regularly make bushings out of Abec11 77mm Strikers with a hole saw and subsequent processing on my drill press.

It seems to me that there's plenty of material in there for a PVD rectangular bushing.

If you are making your own bushings, I recommend using the Abec11 wheels rather than the available stock sheets or bars of urethane. The Abec11 urethane will have a much higher rebound (assuming that you want very high rebound).

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue May 29, 2007 11:38 pm

This is probably a useless post... but here it goes anyway: Noah, if you ever feel the need to sell one of your PVDs and want it to go to a good home, I will gladly buy it. :D

Thomas Chichak

Post by Thomas Chichak » Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Despite the necessary price tag, someone with the resources should consider making another run of R2's. The CAD designs are 'open source' But as in the first 2 go arounds, the market would be limited. Then again, isn't the GOG rear around 200-250?
Do you know where I could find the files? I have been toying with the idea of making my own trucks and I have started drawing design ideas in solidworks.
I will most likely have access to a CNC mill and lathe in the summer and would love to make an R2 or two for myself. That is, without the expensive titanium bits. Doing this on a production scale is probably out of the question for me at this point, but a couple of them would be do-able I think.

I am looking at the "edrawings" file from Peters page right now, I can disassemble and examine every little part, but I cant seem to get dimensions, and I don't think it can be used to send to a machine. So, if anyone knows where the plain solidworks CAD files are, or can point me in that direction that would be great.

Just to add to the topic a bit, after looking at the 3D model from all angles, The busing isn't completely closed in, though it's not exactly open to the elements, I would hesitate to call it internal, but I don't know a whole lot on the subject. Drying out could be possible, but lots of bushings just harden with over time. I have seen some khiros that have turned rock hard after just a couple short riding seasons.
[Insert something witty here]

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Thu May 31, 2007 4:28 am

Thomas, you're right - the busings are not completely internal, but they are as compared to other trucks. The bushings do get dirty and dry, but I've never seen one crack or look like it's gonna.

I would suggest contacting Peter through his website. I haven't seen or spoken with him in a couple years, but last I know, the specs were available to anyone that wanted a crack.

Please let us know if you go for it.