truck picking

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Noah Koski

truck picking

Post by Noah Koski » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:00 pm

ok so i am going to get a TS slalom bord and i don't know witch one yet but the rear trucks i was thinkin of are an Airflow, Split fire, Tacker RT-X. if there are any better one or ones i left out let me know and for front i am thinking about seismeic or an offset
SLALOM!
"Pain is temporary..........Glory is forever"

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:28 pm

RT-X is a front truck
Offsets are rear trucks
Q

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:09 pm

The RTS is the usual tracker rear truck. Though nothing says you can't run an RTX in the rear (though most people run this as fronts). You can get an offset hanger (indy, tracker, split-fire) and run it on a tracker RTX baseplate (or an indy baseplate).

Noah Koski

Post by Noah Koski » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:53 pm

oops i wrote the offsets and RT-X backwards sry but I meant it the other way.
SLALOM!

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:39 pm

You have (5) basic options for the rear Noah.
1)Geezer-X TTC. Nice truck, very reactive, but pricey. In the 130 range
2)Geezer-X RTX Offset. The other posters are correct, you usually go with an RTS in the rear UNLESS it's offset. The Tracker offsets use an RTX baseplate/pivot. Another nice option, but you usually have to send the truck to Monkeywrenchmachineworks.com and have him modify yours. Could take several weeks.
3)Chicken Indy Offset. Find them on Pocketpistolskates.com. Excellent value. High performing truck that you'll find on many pro boards. WAY backed up in orders right now though. If youre patient, it's a good one to go with, but be prepared to wait a few months for it to come in.
4)Splitfire. From asphaltplayground.com. I just got mine and it's like an improved TTC. Very good price for this high quality truck. The machinework is fantastic and it's a proven design. Immediate availablity. I've only had mine out once on a 36" GS board.....then the snow hit. So i havent used it much yet, but from that one time out, i love this truck.
5) Seismic. Personally, i dont use them, but many people do. If you go this route, pay the extra few bucks and get one with an improved axle from Geezer

And then, there's actually a 6th, the Radikal Dragon Tail. Pricey, Different, Takes some getting used to. I ran mine for a whole year before i got it "figured out". I can say now that while i was messing with it, it definitely cost me speed and time because i had a hard time getting it to pump right. Now that i got it down, it's a great truck. The right bushing combo for your weight is essential on this truck, since the only adjustements come in swapping out bushings, youre not supposed to tighten down the kingpin nut. and...it's 275.00

and there you go. All these are great trucks, just find one that fits your budget, that will be available when you want it.

Just remember, when going with offsets, most folks run them with a flat riser, with no dewedging. If you wanted them to steer even less, dewedge slightly. I de-wedge my Split and TTC but run my offsets flat.

hope that helps

(ps, check the midwest forum, they're trying to arrange a race in Idaho in 05....do you guys have good downhill up there?)...Get in touch with Tod Oles thru the midwest forum. He's a great guy and looking for folks to skate with. He lives in far northwest Ill.

later gator

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:18 pm

I havent herd of any downhill races really, but, there probaly is some good plases to to it. Like going to bosie or mountain home there are some good roads, for SGS and GS to in that area.
Its like a gift. I can't control it.

Nick Krest

Post by Nick Krest » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Christopher Bara wrote: The Tracker offsets use an RTX baseplate/pivot.
Tracker makes both an RT-X and RT-S offset. The price on both of those trucks is $120 each.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:33 pm

That's true Nick.....I should hae explained that clearer. The RTS offset has little or no steering to it at all. The RTX is more responsive. And if you wanted to desteer the RTX a bit, you can always toss a reverse wedge under it. Where as you wont be able to put MORE steer into an RTS offset. Every Tracker offset i've ever seen has been based on an RTX baseplate and it's by far the popular choice. However, since Tracker makes them both ways, they may sell some RTS offsets. For most rides though, the smaller pivot is the way to go.

And you can have them converted by Geezer for less than the 130.00 (though the factory red ones are damn nice looking trucks)

Noah Koski

Post by Noah Koski » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:51 am

ok ya thanx that helps a whole bunch i am looking for races in middwest thanx alot chris
SLALOM!

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:29 pm

noah, you live in this in the north west kinda. Idaho is in the north west, and ketchum is in the middle of it, so you and me are mostly in the north west

Happy New Years

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:42 pm

No way Cam....The Pac northwest already has a huge scene....The midwest is still young and growing and we need to add to our numbers....We're claiming Idaho as a midwesterner along with Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri and Ohio.

heh heh heh

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:43 pm

your claiming us................sounds good to me!
but still sounds kinda strange

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:35 pm

Cameron and Noah,
I would think that you guys might be closest to the Oregon and Washington races that those guys have. There are very active and organized slalomer’s in both those States. And also maybe a tad further but the Colorado slalomer’s also have quite a few races. I'm not sure of the exact distances but it seems that these three states would have the closest and most amount of races to you.

Noah Koski

Post by Noah Koski » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:56 am

ya, i a willing to go to another state and i will but it would have been more convinent in idaho but oh well. I think that i might try and start a race with cameron conn in idaho
SLALOM!